BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-03-23 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1284243

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: respite, please

jenni4 - 2008-03-18 10:36 PM Never got the bike out last week, but Fri & Sat I will after Good Friday Spring Cleaning Extravaganza.

Dang...I gotta do some of that. At least spring doesn't officially end until June, right?

SpiritFire - 2008-03-20 7:05 PM My parents are visiting. Very small house + people who don't get along = disaster. I'm SO stressed out ... it's only day 3, and they are here for 6 more days. Training may be my only salvation, except that I must drink copious amounts of alcohol just to get through the evenings. Good thing this only happens twice a year. Just had to vent. Thanks guys.

That is an awkward situation. My Mum decided to come over this weekend uninvited. I was all prickly about it yesterday since I was going to stop by her place on the weekend on my way home from the lake but whatever...don't get me started.

Have a great weekend EVERYONE. I have FOUR days off... I'm soooo happy about not having to work... but it really sucks when my sweetums has to work nights this weekend... oh well not everything can be perfect.

Are done digging out yet??

Shortly, I'll be nosing around everyone's blogs to catch up with all y'all!
Tongue out(teehee, I love them southerners!)

2008-03-24 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1099933

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: Goals, Progress, Life...
Okay so I've been thinking and evaluating my progress since the start of the new year. Remember all of the goals, resolutions and plans?

My goals certainly have morphed and changed as I continue to learn what works and what doesn't in training and in life. I'm not happy with my weight loss and strength training, but I'm happy having done way more swimming, running and biking during the winter months than ever before.

Then, I think of a conversation with my swim coach who noted that there seems to be a a larger number of IM finishers in the area than in other centres. Along with that there seems to be a training culture that looks down on racing anything shorter than an Half IM. Coach exclaims that an Olympic distance tri is an OLYMPIC triathlon distance that should be more respected. From there, we both concluded that IM finishers can't honestly say that they did the race for their family or anyone else. Given the hours and hours that need to be put in to complete an IM, the sacrifices aren't just personal but radiate outwards to that person's family, community, workplace, and on. We concluded that at that level of training volume, the athlete is really doing it all for themselves and it is indeed, ultimately, a selfish endeavour. I think that this rings true for the mortal triathlete. As such, it weighs in on my struggle to balance life in all it's glory.

So, as I figure out a good systematic way that I can self-evaluate my goals and progress, I have found some good articles about evaluating our previous race season (which can be applied to how I've been training so far this season), staying on track, appreciating the process and putting it all, including life outside triathlon, in perspective.

Season summary: Evaluate your season

Stay on Track

Endurance sports: When goals take a back seat to process

Triathlon of life

2008-03-24 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1288346

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-25 7:07 AM

Veteran
Peabody MA
Subject: RE: Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard!

Hi All.

Yes I am still alive!

It's been a while. Work has been crazy. I have been monitoring a drug study down in kansas and it has taken most of my time, day and night as I have been the on call computer person for this study.

I plan to get back into my training in MAy. I have the study to complete then off to the caribean for a couple of weeks to refresh.

Hope you all are doing well and your training is good.

Peace Out

Jim

2008-03-25 5:39 PM
in reply to: #1289722

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Goals, Progress, Life...
marina - 2008-03-24 10:17 AM

I'm not happy with my weight loss and strength training, but I'm happy having done way more swimming, running and biking during the winter months than ever before.

Hey Marina ... when my parents leave (tomorrow) I am putting myself on a very lean diet for 2-3 weeks ... if you're interested ... you could be my diet buddy. ;-)
2008-03-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1293205

Master
Victoria, BC
SpiritFire - 2008-03-25 3:39 PM

marina - 2008-03-24 10:17 AM

I'm not happy with my weight loss and strength training, but I'm happy having done way more swimming, running and biking during the winter months than ever before.

Hey Marina ... when my parents leave (tomorrow) I am putting myself on a very lean diet for 2-3 weeks ... if you're interested ... you could be my diet buddy. ;-)

Well the "lean diet" starts today ... just feel I must detox my body after the last 8 days of not great food and too much alcohol ... not to mention terrible sleeps. And I really need to ramp up the training a bit. I've been working hard, but not really pushing myself. So watch my logs - kick my but accordingly!

2008-03-27 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1294768

Master
Saskatchewan

SpiritFire - 2008-03-26 11:01 AM
Well the "lean diet" starts today ... just feel I must detox my body after the last 8 days of not great food and too much alcohol ... not to mention terrible sleeps. And I really need to ramp up the training a bit. I've been working hard, but not really pushing myself. So watch my logs - kick my but accordingly!

It feels good to be back in a routine. A butt-kickin? Well, remember, you asked for it!! 

jblt4 - 2008-03-25 7:07 AM
Yes I am still alive!

Good to hear...hope that you didn't have any run-ins with those tornadoes!

I'm off to check blogs...

2008-03-27 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1297070

Master
Victoria, BC
It's only 10 weeks till my relay run ... and only 8 weeks till my tri! ... I NEED the butt-kicking. haha
2008-03-27 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1297304

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-27 4:43 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: sooo excited about food stuffs!
I have to tell you all what I did ... I am telling everyone what I did ... I joined a food co-op!

I was studying like a good girl (just finishing up an Eco-Nutrition course) and came across something in Vancouver similar to a food co-op called Farm Folk/City Folk ... it distracted me enough to see if they've branched out to Vancouver Island (where I live) so I hopped on the website ... found a lot of mainland CSA's ... but none for the Island.
(Note - CSA is Community Supported Agriculture ... I would purchase shares in a small local farm at the start of their growing season, and at harvest would be guaranteed a certain percentage of their product, straight from the farm.)
Well I didn't really find any CSA's on the Island, but I did find this food co-op. What they do is buy organic fruit, veggies, nuts, etc, direct from the local small farms and deliver it to customers, direct to their door, once a week! You have different box sizes to choose from, and can specify certain likes/dislikes (always include/never include) ... they deliver it once a week -by bicycle! - in rubbermaid bins, you leave your money for that week in your empty bin and they replace it with a full one! It's whatever fruits and veggies, and nuts, and herbs, etc, are in season and available.
Isn't that cool! Straight from the farms to my door - no middle man, no chemicals, no 2 weeks in transport, nothing but pure healthy foods.

I can also order extras - locally and organically raised poultry, fresh caught fish/seafood, even bakery items, eggs, locally made tofus and dairy products ... it's really really neat.

Just wanted to share! My first bin arrives next week!
I am such a nutritionist. ;-)
2008-03-27 4:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard!
That is the coolest thing ever. I wonder if there's anything like that down here since this is a heavy ag area (mostly cotton though).

2008-03-27 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1298353

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: sooo excited about food stuffs!
Well the "text" for my course is called:

EAT HERE - Reclaiming Homegrown Pleasures in a Global Supermarket
author: Brian Halweil

It's an incredible book - amazingly informative and written from a fairly un-biased standpoint, almost scientific at times. I am recommending it to everyone.
2008-03-28 1:21 PM
in reply to: #1298353

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: sooo excited about food stuffs!

TR, you got me curious. I knew about the food co-ops in other places but didn't know if we had a local one here...and we do! They have them all over Canada: Good Food Box.

I'm going to get me signed up. It's pretty basic - veggies and fruits only, and not necessarily organic or locally grown (hey, Saskatchewan doesn't have too many orchards). And, we have to pick up from a local depot which isn't a big deal since there's a participating school a mile from my house. I'm excited! I just hope that I can eat all the food or give it to someone before it goes bad. And, during the summer, my Dad has a huge garden that I can raid at will.

One of my big new year's resolutions was to be way more environmentally conscious so doing the food box thing is an awesome move. The big thing for me recently was getting a blue bin (it's a paid service). I now only use cloth napkins (don't have paper napkins in the house and rarely use paper towels now). Of course, I can start bike commuting any day now...well, not today because it's snowing out. But soon!

2008-03-29 5:55 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: problems with my new Nikes ..
2008-03-31 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1301710

Master
Saskatchewan

SpiritFire - 2008-03-29 5:55 PM My feet go numb when I run ... ;-(

I responded in the thread but just repeating it here too...

Have you experimented with different thicknesses of socks? I'd sometimes get numbness on really long runs, but found that a medium thickness sock didn't let my foot slip around that little bit and I didn't have to tie my shoelaces too tight.

2008-03-31 12:00 PM

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: March vs April

Hey gang? How are we doing?

Here are my queries of the week, having to do with planning and looking at our progress...

Looking back at the previous months....
How has your training been going so far?
Is it going better or worse than you planned and how do measure that? What challenges have you faced that you may have anticipated or not? Are you confident that your are on your way to meeting your goals? What have you done to modify your plan if needed? Did you learn any good lessons over the past three months? How have you stayed motivated?

Looking ahead at the coming months...
What are your goals for the next month? Next three months? What will you do differently from the past three months? What will you do the more of?

2008-03-31 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1304938

Master
Victoria, BC
marina - 2008-03-31 9:49 AM

Have you experimented with different thicknesses of socks? I'd sometimes get numbness on really long runs, but found that a medium thickness sock didn't let my foot slip around that little bit and I didn't have to tie my shoelaces too tight.

I'll give that a go ... I actually tied them extremely loose yesterday (almost non-tied) and ran for 30 minutes with no problems. Weird.
2008-03-31 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1304975

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: March vs April

Well, my strength training is going awesome! It's been the shining star of my training. I've slacked off on the swiming lately and I haven't gotten the bike out yet with all the rain. This whole foot thing has been demoralizing. Whenever I have a day where it feels better the next seems like its 10 times worse. My nutrition has suffered as well. Its been a battle, but I'm still going. I've had to change which triathlon I was planning on doing, but I think it will work out for the best.

Tomorrow I have an appt with a podiatrist so I'll let you know about the upcoming months after the appt.

2008-03-31 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1305066

Extreme Veteran
SpiritFire - 2008-03-31 12:24 PM
marina - 2008-03-31 9:49 AM

I'll give that a go ... I actually tied them extremely loose yesterday (almost non-tied) and ran for 30 minutes with no problems. Weird.

Hey, if that keeps working for you look into those curlyque shoe strings for your shoes. They don't tie but they keep your shoe on.

2008-03-31 12:35 PM
in reply to: #1304975

Master
Victoria, BC
marina - 2008-03-31 10:00 AM

Hey gang? How are we doing?

Here are my queries of the week, having to do with planning and looking at our progress...

How has your training been going so far?
Is it going better or worse than you planned and how do measure that? What challenges have you faced that you may have anticipated or not? Are you confident that your are on your way to meeting your goals? What have you done to modify your plan if needed? Did you learn any good lessons over the past three months? How have you stayed motivated?

What are your goals for the next month? Next three months? What will you do differently from the past three months? What will you do the more of?

I am happy with how my training is going. There's always going to be something I could have/would have done differently - and I am a bit disappointed with how little time I've spent on the bike so far - but I'm really focussed on running this season and I'm comfortable with where I'm at. I know that in the next 8 weeks, leading up to my first triathlon of the season, I will stay true to my training goals and will stand on that beach May 25 nervous, but knowing I did all I could to finish strong (I hope). That's what keeps me motivated - imagining myself in my upcoming races and seeing myself looking strong and confident.
My only set-backs/challenges have been my diet - especially when my parents were here. I know that if I don't eat properly, and especially take in enough water, daily, it affects the way I feel the next day therefore affects my training. When I've fallen down, it's been because I wasn't fueling myself properly.

Goals for April - buckle down and train, and watch my diet (and my wine intake). Shouldn't be too hard - my company has finally gone and my life has returned to normal .. and with my new food co-op delivering farm fresh produce to me weekly, it'll be fun to eat healthy.

Also - buckle down on schoolwork. If I work hard - I will be DONE my program at the end of April ... done done done finished done! All that is left after that is my designation exam - which I am writing mid-May ... then I'm done done done! Certified and Registered. Oh my gosh that is such a good feeling. ;-)

OH - and I've decided to do the Oly in August. Since I'm quitting my job in May to focus solely on building my business, I figure I'll have all the time in the world to train. ;-)
2008-03-31 12:37 PM
in reply to: #1305086

Master
Victoria, BC
jenni4 - 2008-03-31 10:30 AM

Well, my strength training is going awesome! It's been the shining star of my training. I've slacked off on the swiming lately and I haven't gotten the bike out yet with all the rain. This whole foot thing has been demoralizing. Whenever I have a day where it feels better the next seems like its 10 times worse. My nutrition has suffered as well. Its been a battle, but I'm still going. I've had to change which triathlon I was planning on doing, but I think it will work out for the best.

Tomorrow I have an appt with a podiatrist so I'll let you know about the upcoming months after the appt.

Good luck with the doctor! I know how much injuries suck. Knock on wood - I haven't hurt myself yet this year. ;-)

And congrats on the strength training! I haven't gotten my bike out yet either - don't feel bad about that. It's still pretty early in the game.

2008-04-01 3:45 PM

Extreme Veteran

Well, on April 19 I am going to begin training for a September triathlon. I'm going to ease back into the running and run outside and if its raining there no more treadmill for me so I'll have to hope on the elliptical. I've chosen a balanced training plan this time instead of a run focused one now. I'd like to do a 5K in late June/early July, but we'll see how the running goes. Training and Lifting will be it for me for the rest of the spring and summer. In the mean time I'll be taking it easy until April 19 to ensure proper healing of my foot. I wrote a bit about it in my log today after my doctor visit.

2008-04-02 7:56 PM

New user

Okay! Please Please Please forgive me for not jumping in this over the past what----6 months! I'm so sorry! I was so gun hoe about joining a forum and what do I do...drop the ball. My professional work has made me do LOTS of computer work so I try to limit it when I get off.

So-Please forgive me for not participating. I promise that I will talk more now!

Shannon
2008-04-02 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1312185

Master
Victoria, BC
smh_23 - 2008-04-02 5:56 PM

Okay! Please Please Please forgive me for not jumping in this over the past what----6 months! I'm so sorry! I was so gun hoe about joining a forum and what do I do...drop the ball. My professional work has made me do LOTS of computer work so I try to limit it when I get off.

So-Please forgive me for not participating. I promise that I will talk more now!

Shannon

I get it ... I spend 12 hours a day on the phone/radio ... it would take an earthquake (gawd forbid) for me to answer the damm thing on my days/time off. :-0

So ... I fully expect you are going to HTFU and train hard now, though, right?~?~ ... ?? ... haha
2008-04-03 5:36 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: mmmm foodstuffs!
Well my first bin from the food co-op arrived today! It all looks soooo good ... I got a huge bag of small gala apples (my favorite), 6 oranges, 2 lemons, 5 anjou pears, a bag of blueberries, a bunch of asparagus, two small red cabbages, a bag of baby salad greens, and a bunch of collard greens. Oh - and my loaf of fresh whole wheat bread. And let's not forget everything's local and organically raised, and sustainably harvested.

Just wanted to share. ;-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard! Rss Feed  

of 14