BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-04-04 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1099933

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard!

Sounds Yummy

Water Running in the Pool???

Anyone ever done this or heard of it? Thoughts, tips, suggestions, resources? I hread mention of it in an article on the site.

2008-04-04 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1315153

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard!
jenni4 - 2008-04-04 8:37 AM

Water Running in the Pool???

Anyone ever done this or heard of it? Thoughts, tips, suggestions, resources? I hread mention of it in an article on the site.

I haven't done any but there's a woman at my pool who runs in the pool at least three time a week AND she ran Boston this year.

There's running in shallow water and then there's aqua jogging in the deep end where you where a flotation belt. I was advised not to aqua jog during ACL rehab because my leg wouldn't be stable (the knee could bend in any direction). I'm not sure about the other pros & cons of either, but my impression is that you can really get your HR up and have an excellent non/low impact running workout.

2008-04-04 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1312185

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: respite, please

smh_23 - 2008-04-02 7:56 PM Okay! Please Please Please forgive me for not jumping in this over the past what----6 months! I'm so sorry! I was so gun hoe about joining a forum and what do I do...drop the ball. My professional work has made me do LOTS of computer work so I try to limit it when I get off. So-Please forgive me for not participating. I promise that I will talk more now! Shannon

I hear ya. When I'm doing a bunch of coding at work the last thing I want in front of me is a monitor when I get home. I'm glad that you are still logging workouts here though Laughing.

2008-04-04 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the info. I think I'll try some on Sunday. I should be able to do the deep water and run without hurting my foot.
2008-04-05 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

I posted this in my blog...but for what it's worth...here we go!

LOOKING BACK AT PREVIOUS MONTHS...

How has my training been going so far from January to March?
I think that my tri training is going just as planned. I had some weeks of illness or blahness, but I've done way more swimming, running and biking during these winter months than I have ever before. That's great for my base and technique in all three disciplines.

I'm not happy with my weight loss and strength training. I haven't been consisted with either. My goal is to get back to my previous maintained weight of 150lbs. That would mean a 40lbs loss since my lifetime weight high earlier this winter. More muscle mass will help with the fat loss so strength training is important. However, over the past few months I wasn't too motivated to get myself to the gym in addition to the tri training. I've been weight training on and off for 10 years now and was bored.

What challenges have I faced that I may have anticipated or not?
Nothing spectacular has happened. I've been cruising along injury free (knock on wood) aside from the few spats of flu and cold.

Am I confident that I am on my way to meeting my goals?

I am. I have a good base. I have a plan. I had a slow start with weight loss, but I'm on a roll now.

What have I done to modify my training if needed?
I started the BT HIM Beginner Plan on Jan 28. After four weeks, I switched over to the basic/intermediate BT plan. I needed more detailed workouts, particularly for the bike on the trainer. The new plan has a higher volume of training, especially with respect to time on the bike and swim yardage. I think that I'll do okay with more biking once I can get outside to ride. When it comes to swimming, I'm not that fast. For example, a 2800m swim workout in an hour just isn't going to happen so I'm looking toward the beginner plan to get a good idea of what my workout volumes and intensities should be at the very least. As to running, I've been in half marathon maintenance mode in preparation for the race on April 20.

How have I stayed motivated?

A new strength training plan. Check out all the blue in my bar chart! I got the P90X workout DVDs. Having a new strength program that I can do at home is motivating. So far the workouts have been challenging and just what I needed. Most of the exercises are bodyweight based with tons of push-ups, pull-ups and compound exercises. My goal for the year is to do an unassisted pull-up and it's going to happen this year! As well, so far in two weeks, I am feeling gains and losing some fat. Woohoo!

LOOKING AHEAD AT THE COMING MONTHS...

What are my goals for the next month: April?
Bike: 15hrs during April. Get outdoors and start commuting to work and other errands around town.
Swim: 13,000m during April. Masters at noon is over so I'll have to get to the pool on my own.
Run: Incorporate speed and hills into weekly mileage in addition to the LSD. Run the half marathon at a decent pace and finish with a smile.
Strength: Continue on with P90X. 3 workouts a week. 11 sessions for April.
Health: Lose 10lbs. Eat to fuel and track nutrition.

What are my goals for the next three months from April to June?
Finish the RPS Half Marathon and race the SK Half Marathon.
Finish a Sprint, an Olympic and HIM smiling.
Lose 30lbs.
Set up a good base for my A races (Olympic and HIM) in July.

What will I do differently from the past three months?

Be diligent with strength training.
Do more group training and have more fun!

2008-04-06 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

I hope that everyone is starting to get out an enjoying spring. I know I am!

2008-04-06 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1318773

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: spring ... is it here?
marina - 2008-04-06 9:56 AM

I hope that everyone is starting to get out an enjoying spring. I know I am!

I spent a few hours today with a pen and pad of paper planning a mass assault on my garden ... it's not murder exactly, because I don't intentionally plan to kill anything ... manslaughter at best. ;-)

Seriously ... I'd post pictures of my yard if I knew how ... it's a bloody nightmare ... an overgrown Vancouver Island nightmare - slugs and all.
2008-04-07 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yay! No rain today. But I don't think its going to last long and I have class all day so I won't beable to enjoy it. Maybe we'll have Tai Chi outside this evening...
2008-04-07 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1320154

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: abs challenge
Hey guys ... I'm leading the abs challenge for April ... join us!!
2008-04-07 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1315153

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: but I LOVE spin ...
So I have a very tough call ahead of me - to be decided in the next few hours ... I've realized that I have not paid for my spring session of cycling with my triathlon club ... it runs from now until the middle of June ... $99 plus tax for 12 spin sessions ... I can only make 5 of them (due to work) ... so ... do I shell out $100+ for 5 spin sessions, or do I just start training hard on my own. I really enjoy my spin sessions, they are great workouts and I do learn every week ... but I'm quitting my job in 8 weeks to open my own business (and thereby will be 'unemployed' with little money coming in) ... it sounds like a no-brainer ... $100 is a lot of money ... a new bike tire, in fact ...

Next year will be different. Next year I can set my own schedule, thereby will make every single session ... that will be what makes me feel better.

2008-04-09 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1321451

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

SpiritFire - 2008-04-07 3:03 PM So I have a very tough call ahead of me - to be decided in the next few hours ... I've realized that I have not paid for my spring session of cycling with my triathlon club ... it runs from now until the middle of June ... $99 plus tax for 12 spin sessions ... I can only make 5 of them (due to work) ... so ... do I shell out $100+ for 5 spin sessions, or do I just start training hard on my own. I really enjoy my spin sessions, they are great workouts and I do learn every week ... but I'm quitting my job in 8 weeks to open my own business (and thereby will be 'unemployed' with little money coming in) ... it sounds like a no-brainer ... $100 is a lot of money ... a new bike tire, in fact ... Next year will be different. Next year I can set my own schedule, thereby will make every single session ... that will be what makes me feel better.

That's a tough one...but I'd probably save the money. Is there anyway that you can pay per spin session on the condition that there's space on that day? It might be more reasonable.

2008-04-09 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1325865

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
marina - 2008-04-09 8:10 AM

That's a tough one...but I'd probably save the money. Is there anyway that you can pay per spin session on the condition that there's space on that day? It might be more reasonable.

Nope ... they don't pro-rate ... it's all or nuthin ...
2008-04-11 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: OMG what have I gotten myself into
Well ... last night I did it - I registered for my first Oly.

It's Aug 3 ... I did the cycling last year on a relay team and the cycling leg is TOUGH - all uphill for the entire 40K ... lake swim, not too bad, and a fairly easy run (10K loop around the lake I regularly train at) ...

It's official! I'm doing an Oly!
2008-04-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1331010

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: OMG what have I gotten myself into

SpiritFire - 2008-04-11 10:42 AM Well ... last night I did it - I registered for my first Oly. It's Aug 3 ... I did the cycling last year on a relay team and the cycling leg is TOUGH - all uphill for the entire 40K ... lake swim, not too bad, and a fairly easy run (10K loop around the lake I regularly train at) ... It's official! I'm doing an Oly!

Way to go! Lots of time to get some good bike legs for the race, especially if you can ride the course a few times beforehand. 

2008-04-15 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: mid-season change of plans
Well, I've done something ... after much frustration, thought, deliberation, and more frustration, I have decided to pull out of the Banff-Jasper relay.

Long story short: when I originally agreed to do this relay, way back in October, it was a long list of old co-workers that were going to be involved - people that I miss and that I was looking forward to spending this time and sharing this event with. But one by one, over the past 6 months, they've all dropped out - so now it would be me and 17 strangers (and one person I know, but not very well).
This alone kind of takes the fun out of it.

We are less than 8 weeks away from the race, and I haven't been included in any emails, group posts, or anything - I post on our group facebook page, no response.. I send out group emails, no response.. anything I tried to do to foster a team atmosphere and get to know some of these people, and let them get to know me, and get a discussion going - was always met with no response. No plans were being made, and no logistics were being worked out (to my knowledge). So I had this horrible fear I'd be trapped in Jasper (very small isolated town in the middle of nowhere) with no accomodations, no way back to Banff/Calgary, and not knowing anyone.

Then I sit down and figure out the logistics of the trip ... 10 days in Alberta, once you figure in hotels, ferries, gas, food, and all the little race incidentals, is actually turning out to be more expensive than a week in San Francisco!

So ... after much discussion and soul searching with my mother and my friends, I've thought that since this will be my only vacation this year, and possibly next year (since I'm quitting my job in May and have no idea how well my business will actually do) I decided it would be a better use of my limited vacation time and dollar to have an actual "vacation" ...

So I've pulled out of the relay, and have booked 6 days in California! I'll arrive the morning of Escape from Alcatraz - so I'm hoping I can get down to Transition in enough time to catch the post-race excitement.

This also takes a lot of pressure off me, training wise - now I don't have to focus so much on running a tough half-mary, and can instead work on making my current 10K better .. and also frees up a lot more time for swimming and cycling. I can focus on having a strong triathlon, not just a strong run.

But - it was a tough decision!
2008-04-15 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1339254

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

SpiritFire - 2008-04-15 11:17 AM Well, I've done something ... after much frustration, thought, deliberation, and more frustration, I have decided to pull out of the Banff-Jasper relay. 

Tough call, but it makes sense to use your vacation time for a real vacation. Last December, I ran a marathon in Sacramento and visited with friends there and in SF. But next winter, I'm not going to bother with the marathon and just go to visit and be warm during the winter months. Less stress and more time for fun.

California and seeing Escape from Alcatraz will be so fun, and motivating! Enjoy!!

2008-04-16 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1339817

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Yeah, even just visiting would be good ... but unfortunately - there's no one to visit as everyone else participating in the relay is a stranger to me!
2008-04-17 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: Nearing the end?

Hey all!

Looks like this thread is running out of steam as we get more engrossed in our training and springtime activities. The mentor program was supposed to go until the end of March/April so I think that it's served its purpose. I'm not shutting it down, just going to keep on checking on you all in your blogs (I have you as friends...ahhh). And, I'm still here, so if you have any questions, ask away and I (or Kevin) will do my best to help you out.

I hope that we can continue to inspire and cheer on each other. I know that I appreciate the support and enjoy sharing in your journeys.

Keep on truckin'!!

2008-04-18 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1344298

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Nearing the end?
I'll miss you guys ... I'll miss having a place to post my random thoughts.

Please do keep in touch - let's keep inspiring each other!

tr
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard! Rss Feed  

of 14