BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2007-12-16 10:05 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - CLOSED

Holy cow - we now have 3 countries (Canada, Poland, U.S.) represented in our group.  Totally cool. We've got a total of 8 people now, so I'm closing the group.

Name: Birkierunner (Jim)
Story: I’m a 46 (47 in Jan) year old wildlife biologist that has been involved with endurance sports for 30 years.  In high school I was captain or co-captain of the x-c team, ski team, and track team. After graduating from college and going to grad school I spent many years just doing maintenance running mileage with no racing goals in mind, with an occasional 10k  – I basically wasted my 20s and 30s as far as competing.  A friend of mine convinced me to race the 51 km American Birkebeiner x-c ski race in 1997 and that is when my endurance journey kicked back into high gear.  I ran my first marathon in 1998, and qualified for and ran Boston in 1999.  I’ve done 10 marathons, with 8 of them being sub-3 hours (2:51 PR).  I still race x-c skiing in the winter.

I got a little bored with marathons, and a few guys in our training group started doing triathlons.  I did my first triathlon (Olympic) in 2005 (actually podium-ed in my AG on the first try!).  I followed that up with a half-ironman and an off-road tri that summer.  In 2006 I raced several Olympic distance tris (2:07 PR, 2 AG podiums), one half-iron (4:46) and finished the season with IM Wisconsin.  I came down with a cold a couple days before the race and finished with an 11:32 – an hour longer than my goal finish time. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-list.asp?memberid=17529 .  In 2007 my goal was to race IM WI again and qualify for Kona.  During the season I had PRs in the half marathon (1:17:39) and half ironman (4:37:04) and made the AG podium in several races.  At Ironman WI I hit my swim (1:12) and bike split goals (5:36), but then ran into stomach shutdown problems and ended up walking the last 8 miles to finish in 13:00 (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=90565).  I finished off the season with my first 50 mile ultra in October (8:52).  In 2008 I plan to work hard on figuring out my long race nutrition.

Family: Married; no kids; 3 dogs

Training and 2008 goals: Other than high school, I’ve been self-coached for my entire endurance career.  However, for IM Wisconsin I did purchase a pre-packaged training plan from an online coach.  My goals for 2008 are to go sub 1:14 at the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon, sub 4:30 at Liberty half-iron and to qualify for Kona at IM WI with another attempt at sub 10:30.  My ultimate IM goal is sub 9:30.  I currently race with a Felt DA triathlon bike and recently started bike training with an Ergomo Pro powermeter. I wear a HR monitor for many of my workouts, but after 30 years I’ve learned to listen to my body and use the HR info more for confirmation/general interest.  I love to put in a lot of hours for IM training and I’ll probably keep my workload in the 15-20 hour/week range this summer, with plenty of intensity mixed in.  Swimming is the limiter that I need to work on this winter/spring.  Ironman will be my focus for the foreseeable future. Although, I will still attempt a sub 2:40 stand-alone marathon before I get too much older.

Weight loss:  This has never been an issue for me, other than putting on a couple “ice cream pounds” after a racing season.

Philosophy:  If you need someone to motivate you to get off the couch and run out the door…I’m definitely NOT the mentor for you.  If you have aggressive goals but don’t know where to start, I’ll try to share some of my experience with you.  I was a mentor in the 2007 program and still maintain frequent contact with several of the 2007 group…..yes, Tammy, you can come back for Round 2         Welcome to BT!

Edited by Birkierunner 2008-02-01 10:03 AM

2007-12-29 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1104567

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - OPEN
round 2!!  Im in
2007-12-29 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1121783

User image

Pro

tripletmom01 - 2007-12-29 9:39 AM round 2!!  Im in

She's baaaaaaaaaaaack...Tammy why don't you briefly tell others about yourself and your plans for IM buildup

2007-12-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1122001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Would love to give this a try----again.  Joined in in '97.  Biggest concern is time management and the "swim monster'.  Here is what I wrote then"

• 43-teacher/coach, married, 1 son(may want to do a tri in May w/me)
  • have stayed active from HS to now, as coaching seasons allows
  • totally new to tris(have completed 3 mini-sprints:  the swimming has eaten me up!!)
  • weakness is the swim
  • injuries here and there have shortened training cycles, hamys' this year.

Goals:

• be more consitent 
  • complete two more sprints( sub 1:14 at some point)
  • jump into an OLY distance(lose water fear)

Browsed around the 'open' groups and was impressed w/ your consitency.  If it is possible to join, let me know....Thanks.

2007-12-29 2:21 PM
in reply to: #1122016

User image

Pro
CoachH..you're in!  We'll conquer that swim monster together - its my weakest link too.  But, we have to take it head on and just get in the pool as often as possible.  If you have a local pool ask around and see if there are Masters groups available to join.  Also, it would be worth it to have a coach take a look at your form in a one-on-one session to see if there are things you need to work on.  WELCOME!
2007-12-29 3:37 PM

User image

New user

Name: Glen

I would like to join your group.

Married - my wife is wonderful and supports me 110%. I have two children, both moved away from home, 2 dogs, 2 cats.

Story: I turned 56 in November. I live in the Fraser Valley outside of Vancouver, Canada and work in a Call Center for our local telco. This last year I competed in 2 triathlons in 2007, never having competed in anything like it before.

I started with a clinic run by a local running club and did my first tri in March and then partially followed Mike Pates' training schedule for my second tri in June.

The three things I need to work on are:

1. My swimming (never satisfied with my effort, even though I've taken numerous classes);
2. Knowing how to eat properly;
3. Finding time in my schedule to include strength training.

2007-12-29 4:12 PM
in reply to: #1122090

User image

Pro
Hi Glen!  You make #3 for the group.  Sounds like you live in a gorgeous part of the world.  I'd love to get up that way to watch the cross country events for the 2010 Olympics.  I am not a nutrition expert but I can point you in the direction of some good reading on the subject for endurance athletes.  I am not a strength training proponent - but not against it either.  Actually, I'll probably start working on my core strength in 2008.  I would recommend that you get your swim/bike/run in first within your schedule and then worry about fitting in strength training.  Just my 2 cents.  Based on what I've said and you still want in...YOU'RE IN.  Welcome!
2007-12-29 4:36 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Just wanted to say - welcome back, Birkie, and have a fun journey!
2007-12-29 5:45 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

CoachH is in our group too- cool

Anyway- I m 34 ooops I mean 35 and have 6 year old triplets, whom are beginning to share my love of tris (YEAH!!!)
This is my third year of triathlons although I have been running since college although not competitively (can you believ that??)  Last year  I did three HIM and then signed up for IMWI   I am truely SO excited and happy to be participating and am planning on training hard and hope to have a great race.
I am doing my first marathon  March 2cnd in Little Rock AR....... training is going well- I did my longest run ever of 17 miles on thursday and I felt good about it so...  I really just want to come out of it feeling more confident about IM.

Things I need to work on
swim speed... I think I have pretty good endurance and form just need to pick up the pace a bit
Nutrition- I do not eat/drink enough on the bike or run - I think all my HIM would have been even better had I taken in more calories.
Bike endurance- I beleive my longest ride has ben like 75 miles- I think I am a fairly strong biker just need to put more miles in.
Stretching, resting, and recovering

There honestly arent a lot of people whom I take advice (and critisism ) from but Jim is a pretty OK mentor- thanks for letting me in again.

Tammy

2007-12-29 5:46 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Welcome Glen

Looking forward to "meeting" you

2007-12-29 6:03 PM

User image

Regular
Warsaw, Poland

Hello,

I would like to join your group if it is still possible

Story: I started running 3 years ago from the couch-patato level. I had several gaps during these three years. In October I started again with specific golas in mind and I am very consisten so far. I have been guided by an online coach for two weeks but I would like to join the group to share experience..

Current Training: At the moment I train for Paris Marathon (April 6th) and then Ironman 70.3 Wiesbaden (Germany - Agust 10th). My training is focused on running due to the nearest goal. Swimming (especially open water) is my greatest limiter, but I work on this during Masters classes twice a week.

Family: Married, no kids, one cat

Wight loss: I used to be overweight but it is not a problem any more since I have started running. So far I lost about 40 pounds and my weight drops naturally with training. It is 190 pounds currently. 

Cheers,

Marcin 

2007-12-29 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
NW suburbs of Chicago
Name: Jim

I’d like to join your group.

Family status: Married, wife is also a triathlete. We have 2 small kids and a dog.

Story: I was always a very active kid (skateboarding & BMX biking) but I never took up sport until after college. I spent my 20’s racing mountain bikes for fun and really enjoyed competing. In my late 20’s, I took up road cycling and dabbled in triathlons (sprints). I spent my early 30’s focusing on my career and family (our kids are now 2.5 & 4), which meant sport took the back seat and I lost a lot of fitness. Last fall, we decided to we needed to get back to our healthy lifestyle and get back into racing.

2007: I ran my first marathon in Dec-06 (3:50). Raced several sprints, 2 OLY (2:18 PR), and 2 HIMs (5:14 PR). My races typically go like this – I come out of the water behind, I bike my way up to the front, then I get run down. So this fall, I focused on my swim and run. I joined a masters swim team and started training like a runner. So far so good. I ran a 9.5mi run race (1:05 – faster pace than in any previous 5k’s) and I’m now tapering for the Disney marathon (been training for a 3:20 goal). My 2007 training has been fairly consistent closing the year with 350 hrs.

2008 Goals: Run well at the Disney marathon, recover, and then switch to triathlon training with bike focus. I’ve used a HRM in the past, but this year I plan to add a power meter to my toolbox (we have a Computrainer, plan to get a Powertap). My key races are: spring 40k TT, a late summer OLY, Racine HIM (may drop to the aquabike), Steelhead (4:50 goal), and hope to qualify for either Halfmax or Clearwater.

I know I have an aggressive ’08 goal. I’ve read a lot and know enough to be dangerous. I really enjoy the science behind training and just can’t get enough of it. I’m hoping that this group will help provide guidance, so I’ll do more things right than wrong.

Edited by stinkyhelmet 2007-12-29 6:20 PM
2007-12-29 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1122036

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Birkierunner - 2007-12-29 2:21 PM CoachH..you're in!  We'll conquer that swim monster together - its my weakest link too.  But, we have to take it head on and just get in the pool as often as possible.  If you have a local pool ask around and see if there are Masters groups available to join.  Also, it would be worth it to have a coach take a look at your form in a one-on-one session to see if there are things you need to work on.  WELCOME!

Thanks...this is going to be fun.  Do hope it turns out to be a good accountability group

2007-12-29 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1122246

User image

Pro
Marcin - 2007-12-29 6:03 PM

Hello,

I would like to join your group if it is still possible

Hi Marcin.  You are very welcome to join our group.  Now we have 3 countries represented in the group!  That has got to be a first for BT?  WOW!

Great to see that you are in a Masters swim group.  Great job on the weight loss also.  WELCOME!

2007-12-29 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1122259

User image

Pro

stinkyhelmet - 2007-12-29 6:14 PM Name: Jim I’d like to join your group. 

Hey Jim!  As we discussed already, you're welcome to join our group.  Sounds like you have a good background and having a wife that races also has got to be a plus when it comes to getting support on the home front.  You should touch bases with Rob Yamry (pseudoyams) - he's racing at Disney next month also.  You'll like the Racine HIM.  I did it the past 2 years and would like to do it again in '08 but I have a work-related meeting that same weekend.  Looking forward to working with you this season.  WELCOME!

Edited by Birkierunner 2007-12-29 7:04 PM
2007-12-29 9:26 PM
in reply to: #1122313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Holy cow - we now have 3 countries (Canada, Poland, U.S.) represented in our group.  Totally cool. 

By the way...(lol)...Originally from Mx...

2007-12-29 10:36 PM

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - The international group - OPEN
Hi,
I would love to join this group if possible. Is it still open?

Name: Heather
Married, one year old son, 1 dog, 4 cats
Live in Tarpon Springs, Florida

Goal: St Anthony's tri in St Pete, Fl end of April.

I have been athletic all of my life but almost no experience with triathlons other than a sprint 3 years ago. Had a great time and was ready for more, started training for an Olympic and 1 1/2 months into was in a serious auto accident. Recovered from that then had a baby! I have retained some level of fitness though mainly in the gym.

I haven't been following any specific training plan up to this point, just the gym(really bored and want to get outside). I will now be using the 16 week Olympic run focused. I love the swim and bike although I'm positive my technique in both needs a lot of improvement (I don't even have a technique, I just go) running...I don't even know what to say. I would love to love it?

I am very motivated, but have a lot of questions. Recently joined BT and want to get the most out of it!

2007-12-30 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1122495

User image

Pro

hahatch - 2007-12-29 10:36 PM Hi, I would love to join this group if possible. Is it still open?

Good morning, Heather.  Still open, and you're in.  WELCOME  April will be here soon so the sooner you can develop a consistent training schedule the better.  Fire away with any questions you might have.  When the group fills I'll post some more general thoughts.  Thanks for joining!

2007-12-30 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1122639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
in selecting plans...do you go on your strength or weakness.  the things that pops into my  head is if i go on weakness/swim, the time may not be there for me w/ the number of swims.  School hours, coaching hours, etc...yeah, joy   Strength wise, I can flirt w/ 3x running and still hover around 21 5k...
2007-12-30 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1122648

User image

Pro

CoachH - 2007-12-30 8:24 AM in selecting plans...do you go on your strength or weakness.  the things that pops into my  head is if i go on weakness/swim, the time may not be there for me w/ the number of swims.  School hours, coaching hours, etc...yeah, joy   Strength wise, I can flirt w/ 3x running and still hover around 21 5k...

Time management is the one problem I think most of us age-groupers face.  There is no magic wand we can use to cover up the reality of limited hours to train.  I think the most important thing you have to do is be brutally honest with yourself when you assess what you can pull off consistently on a weekly basis.  Don Fink's book Be Iron Fit has some good information on effective time management.  Gordo Byrn also wrote an article on tips for the busy triathlete for ironman training, but the same principles apply (be sure to read the comments after the article).

For the offseason, I would focus on your weakest event.  BT has some swim-focused offseason plans that address the swim while still getting in other workouts for the run and bike.  If you are not already a bronze or silver BT member I would highly recommend you join so that you can access those plans.

The bottom line is, you really need to sit down with a weekly/monthly planner and block out the times you will be at work, commuting, coaching, and taking care of the home front.  That will give you an idea of what time slots you have available for training. You may have to get very creative in order to squeeze in workouts.  Wake up earlier to get in a run or bike on the trainer while everyone else is asleep.  Many pools have 5 AM opening hours (at least around here), so that may be a chance to get in the pool before work.   If you are limited on time I think the best strategy is to build volume through frequency (especially if you aren't training for an ironman event).  Squeeze in short workouts whenever you can and the hours will add up.  There were some discussion threads ( here, here, and here) on how various people have dealt with time management.  Although much of the discussions focus on time management for ironman training, the same tips apply to training for shorter events.

Edited by Birkierunner 2007-12-30 10:43 AM
2007-12-30 2:21 PM
in reply to: #1122259

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Run well at the Disney marathon

Isnt the Disney marathon in like a week??  Good Luck!

I will probaly do Spirit of Racine again too

2007-12-30 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1122937

User image

Veteran
NW suburbs of Chicago
>>>Isnt the Disney marathon in like a week?? Good Luck!
>>>I will probaly do Spirit of Racine again too

THanks! The marathon is 2 weeks from today. I'm looking forward to it.

It would be great to meet some of you guys at SOR. I realize, though, with our international group here it'll be difficult to get everyone together at an event. IM70.3 in Weisbaden, Germany sounds tempting!
2007-12-30 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi, I would like to also join this group.

Ricky, from Deatsville, Alabama-35 yrs old
Married w/ 1 child, 2 dogs & 2 cats
Full time Firefighter

I have a sports background but only started tri training in Sept. Completed a sprint in Oct and became hooked. My brother has been racing for 10 yrs w/ several IM to his credit. He has been a great help entering the sport. I am very motivated and excited about this season.

2008 races: St Anthony (April), Disney 70.3 (may) & several Oly. & sprint distances to finish the year!!!!
2007-12-30 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1123085

User image

Pro

Hi Rick, you're in.  WELCOME!!  If you would, could you make your logs accessible to the public so that we can see you training logs and keep tabs on what you've been up to.  I realize your probably just getting started with BT, so let me know if you have trouble setting things up. Go to the training logs help icon to get started.

We've got 6 people now.  Last year we had several drop out of touch early on and were left with a small group.  So, I'm keeping the group open for a couple more.

2007-12-31 12:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Hi Jim! Still taking on new members? I'd love to team up with such a great group of people to help push me to the next level of performance!

Name: Todd - 37

Location - Southeast Wisconsin

Family status: Married, 3 kids (4,7,11), 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 bird, and a guinea pig (full house).

Story: A few years back a doctor told me I was overweight, overstressed, and borderline high blood pressure. He assured me that they had maintenance medications that could take care of these things. Since I don't even like to take cough medicine, this approach did not appeal to me. I started exercising regularly 3 years ago and tackled a sprint and an OLY in 2006. After dropping 35 lbs from my peak weight, I now have what I consider a reasonable base to start to build more performance upon.

2007: Running was my weakest leg in the 2 tris I ran and decided to focus more on running in 2007. I ran 5 races in 2007 ranging from 5 miles to my first marathon (Grandma's). I pulled out of my only planned triathlon (Lake Geneva HIM) to due a personal protest regarding the way that the race was organized and run. My running has come a long way since first getting off the couch and managed to log 1000 running miles in 2007.

2008 Goals:
- Continue to do run-only events to build run speed and endurance.
- Run a faster marathon (Grandma's again in June 2008)
- Get back into the tri circuit with at least 1 triathlon (Oly or HIM)
- Go longer, faster!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16