BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI4ALL - Is Now FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-12-23 8:00 PM

New user
North Carolina
Subject: TRI4ALL - Is Now FULL
NAME: klein92/ Dale

STORY: I am on the far side of 40 and will be starting my fifth year in triathlons this year. I race in NC, VA, SC, and TN. I have done over 30 races ranging from sprints to half ironmans. I am an average Joe, middle of the packer in my age group, well except for half irons where I tend towards the bottom 2 or 3. I work 9-10 hours a day with a 1.5 hour commute each way and a family. I race because I like the lifestyle and to keep my weight under control. Over the years, I have good and bad races and have probably made every mistake there is to make. Hopefully, I can share some of the things that I have learned the hard way.

FAMILY STATUS: Married

CURRENT TRAINING: My training plan is to pick out 2-3 main events in a year then use other events ( local charity rides, runs, etc) to train. I’m not a big fan of structured training plans. I have found that life gets in the way or the plan was written for a 20 something that doesn’t need a week to recover from a long run. My training is based upon the time I have available and how I am feeling that day. My goal is to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If I make the podium, that’s icing on the cake. Watching your body change as you become more fit, that’s what it’s all about.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2007 I did 2 half ironmans, 2 olympics, 3 sprints, 2 duathlons, 4 half marathons, 1 30k run, 9 metric centuries and 1 full century.

2008 RACES: This year will be similar to 07 except that I plan on only one half ironman but I plan on doing a 10k US Master Swim long course national championship swim in June in SC. I hope to do more century rides in the NC mountains.

WEIGHTLOSS: Five years ago, I had high cholesterol, blood pressure and the early signs of diabetes. I was in a horrible job situation and I knew that either I get my life together, I wouldn’t be around too much longer. I’m 6 foot and weighed 235 pounds I have subscribed to Triathlete magazine since the mid 80’s but never felt that I good do one. I made a promiss to myself that if I dropped the weight, I would do a tri. In one year I dropped 70 pounds and did my first tri, a sprint. It’s been 5 years and I fight the weight demons every day but I am keeping the weight off.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have gotten much more than what I could have ever dreamed of from racing and training for triathlons. Still, when I do a long run, I am amazed that I am out there doing it. I hope to give back to the sport that has changed my life. Hopefully someone else can catch this bug and change their life like I did.

Edited by Klein92 2008-01-03 5:48 PM

2008-01-01 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1115197

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: TRI4ALL - Open

Hey Dale,

I'm interested in joining your group.  I'm 45, married for 14 years, have two boys 11 and 6 and live in Nashville, TN.  I've always been fairly athletic and most recently played local tennis leagues for about 7 years.  A year and a half ago I started racing mtn. bikes for www.TeamNMB.com

What got me into triathlon was that a couple of teammates encouraged me to do an Xterra with them last July, the Lock 4 Blast in Gallatin, TN.  I absolutely fell flat on my face!  I panicked during the open water swim and limped through it.  Biking is my strong suite and I've raced that course a few times.   100 yards into the run, my legs cramped up badly and I DNF'd.  I swore I'd never attempt anything like that again.  I love to compete, I train alone, am very self motivated and a month later I found myself thinking, "I'm not going to let that thing (the Xterra) beat me!"  So I joined BT.  Here is my blog http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=71640&year=&month=&day=

I did 9 competitions in 2007, mainly mtn bike races in middle TN.  Besides the Xterra fiasco, I did well in a small off-road tri in October called Jailbreak (www.ColumbiaCyclingClub.com) and I was hooked on tri.  I sent off my subscription to Triathlete magazine.  I completed the Nashville Predators 5k in about 26 minutes.  I didn't start running seriously until the latter half of the year tho and only did about 125 miles, but biked over 1500 (road and mtn).  My swim is still weak, but in the past month or so I've ramped up my swimming efforts and am enjoying it.

In 2008 I'd like to do 13 local competitions if possible.  Six or seven are mtn. bike races, but I'd like to do the Country Music half mary in April, one or two Xterras, and an oly which is the Music City Triathlon on Oct.

My weaknesses are occasional knee pain, again - my swim, also making myself slow down one week a month to recover, and job travels.  I'm 5'11" @ 184.  Race season weight is around 177.  I did hit a few PBs in December tho, one was a half century bikeride and on another day a 25 mi bike and a 5.5 mile run (brick).

As I only have one and a half tri's under my belt, I'm looking for someone to bounce things off of as far as training, pitfalls, etc.

Looking forward to a fantastic 2008!

Terry

2008-01-01 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1126436

New user
North Carolina
Hi Terry,
Welcome to the group. It sounds like you have a good base to start from. Swimming is all about technique. I highly recommend getting the Total Immersion video and drill cards. Here is the link http://www.totalimmersion.net/ It greatly improved the efficiency of my stroke.

Have you had your running gate analyzed? If you’re lucky, your knee problem can be solved by changing your shoes. Find a good running store and pick their brain.

Have you checked out the Fall Creek Falls Olympic tri? I did my undergrad at Tech and we used to escape there when we could. It’s gorgeous country.

I am suggesting that everyone starting down this journey realistically determine how they are going to budget their time. For those that are starting from scratch, you must figure out how to make time for yourself to do your training. Don’t forget to take into account what time the pool is open in working out your training schedule. Once you have an honest schedule worked out, then start to develop a training plan. Life happens. I have started countless training plans that I felt I had to follow religiously. Work, family, weather something always seemed to come up. I would get frustrated that I was off of the *plan* so I had to stop. Maybe it’s old age (nah) but now I try to have a plan B and let the world come to me.

I highly recommend that everyone get a copy of Williams’ book Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Athletic Dreams in the Body You Have Now ISBN 9781569244678 She has a great way to keep the sport into prospective and have a bunch of race and training tips.

Good Luck in 08
2008-01-01 9:47 PM

Dear Dale -

Hope that you'll consider me as a prospective BT 'mentee'.

NAME: philster/Phil

STORY: I'm also a fortysomething who's intrigued and interested in triathlons and marathons. That being said, I'm a complete newbie to all of this. I have always wanted to run a marathon, but haven't done it -- yet; and got introduced to triathlons by two work colleagues who were training for the New York City tri last year. In September, I started gently putting all of this into play and started running which resulted in my first-ever 'race', a 5-mile Turkey Trot at Thanksgiving averaging 9:05 minute miles. Now I'm interested in doing more and wondering where to go next - half-marathon/marathon or a triathlon.

Definitely not a jock by any stretch, but work out at the gym twice a week and am a tennis player. Work consumes a lot of hours - not dissimilar to yours, but I want to take care of myself and have fun at the same time. I've struggled with weight issues for a good part of my life, but have found that increasing my cardio and eating healthier has helped shed some pounds (down 15 since I started running) and am now hovering at 165 on a 5'9" frame.

2008 PLAN/RACES: I'd like to keep my options open and keep training for the Brooklyn half-marathon which is in late-April, and prepare for the NYC Olympic triathlon which takes place in late-July. I'm planning on running through the inclement winter (and did a quick 3.35 mile New Year's Day run this morning in the rain) to build distance and endurance - and to make sure that my bad ankles and knees can take all of this. What's appealing about the tri for me is that I like to cycle/spin and in my teenage years was a competitive swimmer (but haven't done it really since then). I'll plan on working on those elements as well to help move them forward in tandem with the running. And if it all comes together, I'd love to try to run a marathon (NYC in November? or something in 2009).

PICK ME! - I'm eager to learn from your experiences and from the others on the team. From training and fitting into my schedule, managing time, controlling weight, having fun, being inspired,and making new friends, I look forward to all of it as I begin this journey.

Phil
2008-01-02 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Hey Dale,

Thanks for the input!  I did have my gait analyzed last year at a running store and they fitted me with a pair of Sauconys after trying several brands.  Could be all of those years of tennis on hardcourts...  I'll get it checked out if it becomes a performance limiter.

A few months ago I picked up Terry Laughlin's book "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy - The Total Immersion Way for Anyone to Master Open Water Swimming" and that has helped my stroke immensly!

I didn't know there was an oly at FCF.  I've been there a lot and biked there.  I may have to check it out.  I wasn't planning on doing my first oly until Sept.

When we get our group thread going, Heart-Rate zone training is something I'd like to explore.  I've seen the threads and links under "Tri Talk."

Hey Phil, welcome aboard!!!!

Terry

Edited by orange223 2008-01-02 1:09 PM
2008-01-02 2:23 PM

Veteran
Dale,
I'd like join the group as well. I think I was going down the same path for a while - lol.

MY STORY - I'm 34, married, two boys (4 & 1) and I own an insurance agency. I have never done any racing at all - I just enjoy the training aspect, but I WANT to do several local sprint tris and duathlons in my area this next year.

MY SITUATION - I got married in 2000 and basicaly stopped working out. I have been as heavy as 251 lbs and I had a cholesterol at 270 (5 years ago) and I started changing my habits a little at that point but I never really got motiviated and in top shape. In the beginning of 2007 I was 236 lbs with a cholesterol of 241. My last physical was a month ago and i was 203 lbs with a cholesterol of 212. I got all the way down to 197 lbs and I am currently right at 200 lbs (lots of bad food the past week or so). I've started training pretty hard and I even joined a tennis team (next season starts Saturday). I'm feeling good about myself but I still need help. My typical workout is a run of 30 minutes (around 3.5 miles) or 1 hour (around 7 miles) followed by a bike of 1 hour (between 16.5 and 18.5 miles). Then I lift some weights, do the UBE, and do a light swim.

MAIN GOALS - 5 of them.

1) Improve my swim. Quite simply, I hate it. This was why I looked into doing Duathlons instead of Tris, but I would really like to improve. A typical swim workout for me is 250 Meters - - 400 meters in 10 - 15 minutes AFTER a hard gym workout. I never go to the gym JUST to swim. I always do it at the end as an afterthought.

2) Get a decent bike. I'm still borrowing a friend's or using the stationary. I am confused about the sizing, cost and aspects of road vs tri, etc.

3) Figure out a better schedule/more time. Right now I only work out on Tues & Thurs (7pm - - 10pm) and Sunday (11am - - 1pm). Most of you are in my boat. It is HARD to get away without feeling guilty.

4) Improve my diet. I eat good but I haven't been able to get any lower than 197.

5) Lose 15 lbs. I've dropped my mile time this year from about 11 minutes to a personal best of 6:55 (I now average around 8 minutes per mile) - but my perfect weight would be about 185 - 188 lbs.

* I am new to this site. I have never used the Training Log but I will tonight after I go to the gym. I usually use the runners world log just because that's what I've been using for 6 months. Anyway, let me know if I need to do anything else. My work email is john(at)thehubbardagency(dot)com and my blog is www.johnhubby.blogspot.com.

~ John

2008-01-02 8:11 PM

New user
North Carolina
Hi Guys,
Looks like we are getting a diverse group. This is great. I am close this out once we get 5. Writing is not one of my strengths. When we fill up, I will look at everyones goals and see how we can all get their together. John check out my earlier post on total immersion. I recommend getting the DVD. I used to be the same with swimming now I find it very relaxing and it's the high point to my week. Speaking of swimming, I just finished some swim intervals and shoved down dinner so it's time to find some warm covers.
2008-01-02 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hi Dale,

I would like to join your group as well.

I am 43, married with two kids ages 8 and 5. I am totally new to the triathlon scene. I played hockey in high school and college but went "dormant" after that. I'm 6'0" and two years ago I maxed out at 241 lbs and had high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I started watching what I ate and walking. The walking led to a little bit of running. This past spring I started running more seriously. In 2007 I completed my very first running races, a 5k in July, an 8k in August, and a Half Marathon in October. I'm down to 212 lbs and feel better than I ever have. I am also hooked on the positive, friendly atmosphere that I've experienced in the events that I have competed in.

When the weather turned cold here this fall ( I live in Iowa) , I started taking a spinning class at the Y. A few weeks later I started swimming laps there as well, for variety. I enjoy working out like this better than ever. It's the first time I've had fun and looked forward to workouts.

I recently read "The slow, fat triathlete", which has motivated me even more. I'm looking forward to doing my first tri this summer on June 1st, a sprint.

I'm also looking forward to meeting and learning from others through this website. Any advise you have to offer is greatly appreciated!

Tim
2008-01-02 10:10 PM

User image

Northern NY
Hi Dale,

I'd like to join the group, if you still have the room.

I'm 35 years old, married with two kids (4 and 7), and a high school principal. I'm in the last third of finishing my doctorate, which keeps me pretty busy. I actually started training for a triathlon 3 years ago but had to stop when life got in the way. I started again this summer (when time was less of an issue) but find fitting workouts into my schedule is difficult.

My current training plan fell apart. Now that the holiday's are over I'm hoping to re-establish some workout time. I'm also hoping that joining a group will help get me back on track while helping others get ready for the Tri-season.

I start with a swimming background, basically high school and a couple of years in college. I've also coached a team or two. I'm not much of a runner, though I'm working on that. I ran my first 5K in 15+ years last October. I'm okay on a bike but mainly used it for transportation as a kid.

MY GOALS
- Lose Weight: I'm 5' 10" and 240. I'm looking to get back under 200 again and stay there!
- Improve to a healthier lifestyle.
- Set a better example for my kids - I want them to know that health and exercise are important. What better way than to see dad working out (they already see mom doing it!)
- Simply to be able to say, yeah, I'm a triathlete. It sounds cooler than, yeah, I golf.

RACE PLANS for 2008
All sprints: Keuka Lake Triathlon; Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon; Cayuga Lake Triathlon; Finger Lakes Triathlon. The first two are in June (beginning and end) with the last two in August and September, respectively. I'll probably run in a couple of 5Ks as well just to see how my running is doing since that's my weak spot.

Thanks for considering me.

Dave
2008-01-03 12:17 AM

New user

Hi Dale,

It looks like I might be a little late to join this group, but I thought I would ask.

Here is a little about my journey:

In 2005 I had a routine physical prior to an overseas trip. This was my wake up call. I was 35 years old, 70lbs overweight and unhealthy. At this time I made a commitment to myself to get healthy. I began running on the treadmill, well if you call it running. I could only run 1 minute on the treadmill. Less than a year later I ran my first marathon and I was 65 lbs lighter. It was a life changing experience and since that time I have been committed to living a healthy lifestyle. I have since run 2 half marathons and a bunch of 10ks.

Despite my running experience I would still consider myself a beginner. I am on the slow side and I do follow the Galloway method of running, which I have found works great for me. I have seen amazing things happen with people who use this program.

Anways.. what brought me to tri's. Well, first I live in San Diego which is a great place to train all year round. Yes, I realize that I am very lucky. However, most importantly, due to my excessive running, I have encounter knee problems and even surgery. My hopes are to "mix it up" a bit to give my knee a break and begin swimming and biking. I believe that short distances for running are fine, but long distances will be on hold.

I did purchase an entry level tri bike a few months back, but like many of you.. work hasn't enabled me to use it more than once.. However, it was fun using the toe clips for the first time.. bloody knees and all. I will learn.

Unfortunately, I do travel extensively with work, which can limit my workouts.

I did swim competively in high school, which was a long time ago, but I think I probably have basic stroke form and won't sink to the bottom of the pool.

My goals for 2008:
1. Keep working on the weight loss. I would like to loose another 15-20
2. Get back into a regimented workout

Oh yeah.. more basics about me:
Name: Elizabeth
No children, just cats:-)

Hopefully, you can fit me in too.

Thanks for your time,
Elizabeth

Edited by trinsd 2008-01-03 12:20 AM
2008-01-03 7:06 PM

New user
North Carolina
Subject: RE: TRI4ALL - Is Now FULL
Welcome everyone!
First off, thanks everyone for being part of our little group. Thanks Elizabeth too for joining, you can keep us guys in line (last sexist joke). Hopefully you will get the triathlon bug and make this sport a part of your life for years to come. As I mentioned to Terry earlier, step one of the journey is an honest assessment of where you are fitness wise and how much time you can devote to training and racing and still keep your job and your family. If your time management skills are week, start practicing today. Time management, not an expensive training plan, is the key to the working adult athlete.

After you have gone through the pain of this exercise, reward yourself by going to some web sites and start thinking about goals for the year. This page has most of the tris in the country listed by state http://www.trifind.net/ . If you haven’t picked out a target race yet, this is a great place to start. Check it again in a couple weeks since some of the race directors may not have their 08 races posted. Once you find some possibilities, a rule of thumb is the longer the race, and the lower your fitness level, the longer it is going to take to train for and the more training time it is going to take. Don’t get discouraged, there are plenty of things to work on before. One of the benefits of tri training is that you never get board and you always have something to work on.

To keep motivated while I am getting ready for my big race, I like to do some organized charity runs and bike rides. This page has most of the major runs in the country http://www.runningintheusa.com/ . Check with your local running store to find out about some of the smaller local races. Also, most larger cities have a track club that sponsors races. The same goes for bike clubs. Most have a web page and a list of the local rides and group rides and runs that you can participate in.

As for swimming, check out http://www.usms.org/and fight out if there is a local masters swimming club. I highly recommend joining a group if you get the opportunity. Swimming is all about technique and these groups usually have coaches that will help you with your stroke and develop a training program. The web site also has swimming training plans. If you aren’t a swimmer, some of the lingo may look weird but we can cover that here. Here is a link to our state newsletter http://www.ncmasters.org/atldec07.pdfIf you are planning on doing a tri with an open water swim, there is a great article about a first timer’s experience. I swam with her during this race. When she finished, the look on her face made you think she struck Olympic gold.

This is enough to get you started. I will get together a list of books with training plans that I like. John mentioned that he was looking for a bike. I think that is where we will start and talk about bikes and the bike leg of the race. Next I want to talk about nutrition include before and during the race as well as weight loss. After that, everyone should be settled in on a rough training plan and we can play it by ear from here. If it is OK with the group, plan on checking in by sometime late Sunday and let everyone know how the training went for the week, both the good and the bad. We will use these posts to frame our discussions

One last rambling, treat training plans as a guide. Listen to your body and the other demands of life like work, family, etc. True if you follow the plan to the letter you should have a good race. But I can also speak from experience, you can still complete a race without being married to your training log. It might hurt a bit more, and it will be hard, but the satisfaction of finishing is still just as sweat.

2008-01-04 8:13 AM

Veteran
I updated my "training log" for the first time. It is pretty cool. How can I check out other member's logs to see what they are up to?

Also, in regards to bikes, I have a chance to buy a 2005 Trek for $395 for a guy off craig's list who lives nearby. It is supposedly in mint condition with no issues and some pictures are available here - http://atlanta.craigslist.org/bik/522079285.html.I am 6' tall and weigh around 200 lbs. I wear 36" by 31" pants. I was told fro mvarious people on the net that I need at least a 56cm bike but maybe 57cm or 58cm. However the owner of this Trek says he is 6' and 218 lbs and that it fits him fine. $395 is the best price by far I have found for an entry level bike. How exactly am I to know my size. I went to a local shop during lunch 3 weeks ago to get sized and before I had uttered "triathlon" there were trying to sell me a $3,000 bike. I don't want to aks them to size me and fit me and then not buy from them. Help!
2008-01-04 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

John,

The link you posted didn't work for me.

It is very, very important that the bike fits you well as you will be spending numerous hours on it.  Not to mention spending your hard-earned dollars!  If the bike doesn't fit, you'll be developing pain, possibly injury(ies) and will be dreading each ride.  Think of running in a pair of shoes that are too big or too small.

If you have other contacts in the sport in your area, ask them for names of other bike shops, or start making phone calls from the phone book. 

I bought a road bike from a person whom I didn't know, going on the fact it was a "good deal" and we were similar in height and weight.  After purchasing it, I called and asked a reputable bike shop if I could bring it in and have them fit me to the bike and how much it would cost.  They charged me $25 for the fit.  I did pay an additional $35 for a new stem.  But now the bike fits me pretty well.  That was excellent customer service from that shop; they were laying the groundwork that when I am ready to "move up", I'll shop there again.  Which I most certainly will. 

Things the shop will look at is the angle of your knee-bend at the bottom of your pedal stroke and even the angle of your feet when clipped into your pedals.  They should look at the "cockpit" which is the angle of your back in relation to your reach to the handlebars and finally the placement of your hands on each position of the handlebars.

They may, or you can ask them to, take a quick look at the bike itself as far as the condition of the chain (broken chain = DNF), the fine tuning of the gears (front and rear derailleurs and shifing cables) brakes and brake pads, wear / remaining "life" on the tires, and the headset, which is where the handlebars attach to the bike's steering tube.  Checking each spoke to ensure they are tight wouldn't hurt either, but you can do that.  These are important saftety checks to be looked at when buying a used bike.

I can't tell you if the bike fits you nor am I qualified, but a reputable bike shop can and should go the extra mile for you, the customer.

PM me or post up for the rest of the group if you have any questions and I'll be glad to jump in!

Also, for the rest of our group, I found the book that Dale mentioned at Borders today for $14.95.

Terry

2008-01-04 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
John,

Good luck with your bike search. I'm in the same position. All I have right now is a ten year old mountain bike that doesn't fit me and I definately feel every mile I ride it!

I'm interested in purchasing an entry level tri-specific bike. I plan on stopping buy the local bike shop to talk to them some time in the near future. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what makes/models to look at or stay away from? I was wondering if some models were better or worse suited for a heavier rider. (currently 211lbs but working on lower!)

Tim
2008-01-04 2:20 PM

Veteran
2008-01-04 5:19 PM

New user
North Carolina
Nice discussion on bikes. Here is my $0.02.

1) By local through a bike shop if at all possible.

This time of year, a lot of people have traded bikes and the shops have a bunch of used bikes for sale. Also, the new models are out, so people are upgrading and last years models are going to be had for a discount. Most shops if you by a bike through them, they will do the maintenance on them for free and give you a discount on the other stuff you will need like a helmet, gloves, shoes, bike shorts and ………

2) Get a road bike instead of a tri bike

If you are planning on doing group rides and riding in a paceline, you won’t be able to ride in the aero position unless you are in the front. It’s very tricky to switch your hand from the aero bars to the shifters while riding a few inches from someone’s wheel climbing a hill. My riding buddies razz we about it all the time. Another sad truth, unless you are doing iron distance races, the time you will save on riding aero is pretty small. Unless you are a strong runner and very good at transitions, you will quickly eat up any time savings you made. The biggest advantage of a tri bike is that the angle of the seat makes it easier when you start the run. Again, unless you are riding for hours at a time, you won’t notice much of a difference. You can get close to the same advantage by moving your seat forward. If you want to try aero, you can get some clip on aero bars pretty cheap.

3) Don’t get talked into the wrong gearing

If you live in the hills / mountains or expect to ride in them, get a bike geared for that. It looks like we all have knee problems. You don’t want to trash your knees on hills. Gearing gets into math. We can talk it about it if you like but this would be something you would also want to discuss when you are looking art bikes.

2008-01-04 6:03 PM
in reply to: #1134117

User image

Northern NY
I'm looking at a 2007 Trek 1500. It's actually a road bike, not a tri bike, but they can 'tweak' the bike for me so I can have the benefits of the road bike (better with hills, I guess) while still being in a tri-position on the bike (body closer to the front of the bike to use a different set of leg muscles). They're asking $800 for the bike out of season...but I may hold out.....
2008-01-04 7:01 PM

Veteran
I agree. that is what Iwas told too. I have a friend who is in his 50's and has won his age group in several olympic and half ironman events. he said tri bikes were BS unless you were norman stadler, et al. He said you could give a top ironman a bmx dirt bike with fat wheels and they'd still beat your if you were on a $5,000 cervelo. it is mostly the rider and thenthe bike is secondary. he said someone like me wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a $500 road bike and a $5,000 tri bike.
2008-01-04 8:12 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

I can see the link now, I think the first link was picking up the period at the end of the sentence.  Looks like a nice bike; worth checking out.

You might want to call a bike shop or two and ask them if that sized frame will fit your height and inseam.  If so and you like the bike, go for it.  Ask them how much for them to check it out and see if they can tailor it to you.  Careful of the shop if they want to replace a dozen parts.

Timmeh! - Trek, Specialized or any of the major manufacturers all make entry level road bikes just like car makers make entry level cars.  Shopping, kicking tires, talking with LBS (Local Bike Shop) staff, friends and fellow tri folks, message boards will educate you on what will suit your needs and your budget.  Personally, I have a Giant OCR3 road bike that I absolutely love.  It is the one I mentioned in the above post that I bought from someone locally.  An example of what you can find at the end of the season like Dale mentioned; I saw an unridden 2007 Giant OCR3 closeout on an LBS floor a few weeks ago for $550.  Sweet deal!  Wish I could have snagged it.

John - About seeing other member's training blogs - When you are in your training log, look for the first icon on the left side that looks like this: 

Click on it and first tab at the top is called "Privacy Settings." Clicking on the checkbox called "Allow Guests of this site to view any logs you have made public."  (If in fact you want others to see your logs.)  willl allow your logs to be seen.

Then, go to the "Friends" tab on the right and add then names of all of us in the group.  Be sure and click the "Apply" button at the bottom of the page!  Viola!  You can see the other training logs!

Everyone - Feel free to take a look at out my Dec. 31st post in my training log - (Hint) Be careful out there riding!

Terry

Edited by orange223 2008-01-05 9:47 AM
2008-01-05 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Terry, thanks for the bike info! I would also like to go to clipless pedals. Does anyone have any suggestions on pedals/cleets/shoes?

Wow, sounds like a wild ride on the 31st. It's amazing how many drivers I see around here that are barreling down the road, steering with their knees, and texting on a cell phone with both hands!

Tim

Edited by Timmeh! 2008-01-05 5:46 PM
2008-01-05 7:34 PM

New user
North Carolina
Giant makes a nice bike for the money. You can’t even by the components for what they sell them for let alone the price of the frame. Many people start with Shammano SPD cleats. These are mountain bike cleats but they are easier to get in and out of. I use Crank Brothers road pedals. They are similar to SPD pedals but they are wider. I have a very wide foot. If you have really bad knees, you might want to check out speedplay. I have heard several people complain that they are too small and give you hot sports on your feet. They are only about the size of a quarter. Check with your bike shop, they might have some used ones that they will let you try out.

One little tip. When you first get them, they will be a little hard to get in and out of. Rub your shoe cleat and the pedal with a bar of soap. Also, I can guarantee you that you will get ready to stop and forget to clip out and fall over. If you’re lucky, nobody will see you fall. If it happens at an intersection with a bunch of people watching, don’t cuss, just get up and do your best Queen Elizabeth wave and smile .

2008-01-05 9:01 PM

New user

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are having a good weekend. We are currently having the worst rain storm in San Diego, so my training hasn't allowed me to get outside this weekend.

I do have a few comments about purchasing a bike. I did go to a local bike shop and got fitted for a bike. I am rather short 5'2 (standing up tall), so I wanted to make sure that I had the correct frame size etc. I bought a women's Specialized Road Bike, which came with aero bars. I paid about $1200 out the door with new clipless pedals and shoes. I figured if I invested in a bike this was also a motivation to get out on the road.

Dale, I wished I had known about the soap on the pedals! My first time out on my bike.. I did the Queen Elizabeth wave. It wasn't pretty.. first bloody knee since I was a kid. I highly recommend practicing getting out the pedals in your driveway or a place where you can ride safely without a lot of traffic.

So.. I did commit this weekend. I registered for a Sprint Tri in May. So, I now have four months to kick it up and get in shape. I find myself motivated by by races and having a goal race will hopefully keep me focused.

Happy Training,
Elizabeth
2008-01-06 4:17 PM

New user
North Carolina
Elizabeth, sounds like you got a nice deal! I have seen several girls around here on Specialized and they seem to like them. Specialized is way ahead of everybody else in making women’s specific equipment Sorry to here about your fall but it happens to all of us. I still have to remind my self when I get to a stop light that I need to clip out. It seems to be harder to remember when I am really gassed. I try to clip out with the same foot each time to try to help me remember.

Be sure to invest in a good pair of bike shorts. There seems to be more and more women’s specific shorts on the market now. Unfortunately, like bike saddles, what works for some people doesn’t work for others. For years I went cheap with Nashbar shorts. But when you out in the middle of nowhere on a long ride and your but is screaming you will pay anything for relief .

The February issue of Triathlete magazine just came out. The issue focuses on getting started in triathlons. I have just skimmed through it but it looks good. They have an article on weight loss also.

A couple of you mentioned that you traveled. I did this for few years too and it can be a drag. We all need to work on flexibility and core strength. Think about getting yourself a Yoga or pilates DVD and play it in your room on your computer. If you are lucky enough not to have to lug around a laptop, you can make some copies of the moves off the Web. I got a DVD yoga for cyclists that is pretty good. I just need to make time to use it more.

Does everyone know about bike trainers that you fasten your bike to so that you can ride them indoors? Speak up and we can talk about it if not.

As you can see, there is no shortage of toys for this sport especially when you are doing three. Rather than go broke all at once, make a list of what you will need to purchase this year and prioritize it. Next put this on your calendar along with your goals. As you reach your goals, reward your self with a toy. It’s a great motivator and spreads out the expense over time.

I hope everyone is making progress on getting ready for the new year. With the holiday, I got very lucky and was able to get in two long runs and a long swim this week. If the weather holds, I hope to get out on the bike next weekend. Have a great week.

Dale
2008-01-06 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all of the bike tips. I stopped by the local bike shop yesterday. They showed me a ton of bikes and gave me some good info. They also suggested getting a road bike as opposed to a tri bike. I sat on a bunch and after doing so I have to agree. I think the road bikes will be a bit more comfortable, maneuverable, and versatile. That being said, everything I sat on didn't exactly feel comfortable. I think the old derrier needs a little seasoning before those saddles feel what I would classify as comfortable. One area I'm still a little gray on is the "fit". The salesman said they could fit me to a bike, but what I was concluding is that it wasn't exact measurements they would be taking but just observations by the staff as to if the bike looked like it fit or not. They also had a service which involved what they called a "fit kit", in which they do spend approximately 45 minutes measuring various body parts and angles. This service was at a $50 charge but apparently all or part of it was deductible off of the bike price if I purchased from them. My particular sales guy was pretty new and unsure about a number of specifics. I'm leaning toward the "fit kit" as at least I would know for sure in my own mind that I had done everything I could so as to not end up with the wrong bike.

I also saw some indoor trainers on display as well. I'm thinking about picking one of these up in the interim and putting my mountain bike on it. That would help get the old rear end used to a stiff saddle, so then when the weather is a bit nicer, I can go road test some bikes for feel and be able to make a better decision if it fits me or not.

Overall I had a pretty good week training. The local pool is shut down for maintenance so I didn't do a lot of swimming, but everything else went pretty good. Work is still rather light, which made for a good amount of free time to train. I am fighting a bit of a virus, so I probably should have taken it easy, but work ramps up pretty good starting next week, so I wanted to get some training in before that. My job involves travel 99% of the time, so I spend a great deal of time in hotels. Some hotels have pretty good fitness centers, but a lot of them leave quite a bit to be desired. On the plus side, I like working out when I'm trapped out of town as it doesn't take away from time with the family. I especially like traveling to San Diego. Elizabeth you have some awesome areas to run in. I've had some fantastic runs along mission bay and the harbor!

Terry, I see that you got some of those perfect pushup things. I was thinking about getting some and throwing them in the suitcase. I figured they would be great to use on nights when I'm trapped in a crappy hotel. How do you like them?

Well, thats about it. Thanks again Dale for the mentoring. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Have a great week!

Tim

2008-01-06 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1137549

User image

Northern NY
Hey Timmeh!

When looking at bikes a year or so ago, a clerk told me the only way to get 'comfortable' is to get the biker shorts. I plan on doing so once I get a bike.

Dave
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI4ALL - Is Now FULL Rss Feed  

of 10