Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-12-26 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL

Hi I am swbkrun- STEVE

I am from Seattle and have been doing triathlons for approximately 9 years. I remember when I was 23 watching my wife do her 1st race. It was Danskin. I was so proud of her, but knew that that was something that I never would want to do!!! That is not my cup of tea I THOUGHT!!! Well I some how got suckered into a sprint the very next year, and thought that was "PRETTY FUN."

What's next? I tried another, and had more fun, then another, then the next distance. AN OLYMPIC DISTANCE! That was pretty fun, let's try something different. How about a marathon! WOW that was hard, but what a victory. Ok, I did that... Now let's try a 1/2 Ironman! UGH! TOUGH BUT GREAT.. ANOTHER VICTORY! That really only leaves the mother of all mothers!!

That is right THE IRONMAN! It is logical in the steps of my life goals. I have done all other distances. This seems to be the next step, but wait! I said that I never wanted to do a triathlon 9 years ago, and here I am. I now proudly have a Ironman tattoo, and bragging rights for the rest of my life, but that is not enough! What is next? I don't know! Help me out, LET US HELP EACH OTHER OUT! WHAT IS THAT NEXT GOAL! Join my group, and I will make sure we ALL GET THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008-01-01 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1116923

User image

Victoria
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP
Hi, looking for someone to help me out with motivating me to do my workouts.

I can get out most of the time but when the weather is poor I tend to put off workouts.

I live in Victoria BC, so I have the same weather patterns as you do. I also did IMC in 2006 and will be doing it again in 2008.
2008-01-02 9:29 PM

User image

I thought it would be fun to keep on with the Pacific Northwest theme...

My name is Lauren and I live in Portland, OR. Its nice to communicate with people who understand the days and days of rain, and the knowledge that if you're going to do anything in this part of the country, you're doing it in the rain right now.

I've never completed a triathlon, but I've completed 5k, 8k, 12k, and 1/2 marathon runs. I also completed a 36-mile bike (Bridge Pedal). I was in a marathon training program last year, but stopped at the 1/2 marathon.

I'm a little scared of the swimming in the triathlon. I found a triathlon I want to do in May. The swim is in a pool, which is good because open water swimming is a whole new experience for me. I'm nervous of 4 people in a lane, because I'm so slow. I'm trying to get over the fact that if I don't do it because of fear, then I'll never do it, and I'll never accomplish a goal.

So, I have about 18 weeks to go, and it should be enough time as long as I start training. I'm looking for a plan...so I'm going to see what training plans are available on this website. I'm also working out with a personal trainer with weights once/week.

Will you help me reach my goal and not chicken out?

I look forward to communicating with you and getting some much needed advice and motivation. Thank you!
2008-01-03 11:10 PM

User image

I officially signed up for the triathlon in May. I feel like thats a big step...I also offically started my training plan today. I feel like I'm on my way. Now I have to keep up the motivation for the next 4 months.
2008-01-03 11:41 PM

New user

I'll bite and join if there is room. Its taken me all day...

Another PNWer here. I am in Vancouver. I have no tri experience and relatively little experience in anything. I have been running on and off for 3 years - off due to many different injuries. I have done 5K, 5mi, 10K and half marathon running races. I am actually not able to run much more then 4mi right now due to an injury and am working on fixing my stride at a sports medicine clinic. I purchased a tri bike a year and half ago during a running injury period and have been riding on and off, with the intent of doing a tri - but I still have not done one. Swimming is another story. I taught in high school, but was never a great swimmer. I have just got back in the water and am awful! That will be a big focus along with fixing my stride.

I am 29, married to another new triathlete (he did his first last year). We are both generally active and do a lot of things other then swim, bike, run.

My hesitance in signing up for this group is indicative of not signing up for a tri and that is probably where I will need my most encouragement. I look forward to training with everyone.
2008-01-04 4:26 AM

User image

Calgary, Canada
Hello Steve

If you allow me, I like to join your group.
My name is Igo, a 44 year old living in Calgary, married with 2 kids (8 year old boy and 5 year old girl). Never done a triathlon, but I am registered for IM Canada 2008.

Cycling is my favorite sport as I ride everyday to work, which is a 1.25hr round trip
I started running 3 years ago, did a couple of 1/2's and one full (but slow 4.5hr) marathon. Started swimming last year in the YMCA pool and up to 2.5k in 1 hr workout.

Looking for support in my training, to get my butt out of the door, and a more or less structured plan for this year's activities

Thank you

2008-01-04 10:26 AM

User image

Torrance, California
Hello there, another west coaster here looking for a great motivational group to get us to our goals. I live in the Los Angeles area and certainly jealous of your rain. I'm 42 and have gotten out of shape since a knee injury a few years ago. I decided on my birthday that the best present I could give myself is better health; obviously training like a maniac and pushing myself to physical exhaustion is part of that, right? I've already signed up for 3 races next year (April, May and September) and I'm totally psyched up for doing this. I've got a busy schedule but I know with a group of like minded people to talk with we can all reach our goals. I'm looking to start with Sprints and Oly's and would love to try a HIM within a few years. And maybe the big kahuna a few years after that.

Let me know if you still have room.

Shelly
2008-01-04 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Hello Steve,

I would like to join your group if there is still room. The other members of the group sound like people I can really identify with.

STORY: I am a 32yo working mother of 2 and I did my first tri last year. I was very fit and athletic in HS and college and then the children came................ Weight is not an issue, but I want to be in SHAPE again! I started cycling 2 years ago. I was a high school teacher and during my summer vacation I got hooked on watching the Tour de France. Lance inspired my to by a bike and I was off. Last fall a friend talked me into doing a super sprint together and she never signed up. But I realized that I signed up to do the race because I wanted to, not because of her. Once I realized that, everyday was an achievement and crossing the finish line was one of the proudest days of my life. I had done something (challenging) that I set out to do and I did it on my own!

My goals for this year are to improve in all areas. I want to do an olympic tri as my big race in september, plus some sprints tris with my husband. (He is inspired to race from watching my first tri.) I am committed to doing a 5K every month as part of my training and have been doing that since October. I also plan to do a 10K as training for the olympic, and I would love to do the Army 10 mile race (we'll see). That race has a more personal motivation behind it. (In memory of my late father who was in the Army).

Currently I get outside to run 1-2 times a week at a distance of 2-4 miles at a time. Don't ride the bike too often in the cold but I like to get in the pool once a week. Finding time to train is always a challenge with two little ones. Especially now that my husband is training as well. We usually have to take turns either training or being with the kids.

I want to join a group with others that enjoy the sport and achieving our personal goals. Doing tris is not about competing for me, it is the joy of setting a goal for myself and working hard to achieve it. I would like to hear training tips from others and share our experiences together. I have been where some members of the group are and want to be where others are going.

Sincerely,
Tracy (tahrens)
2008-01-04 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1132833

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Lauren,

I hope to be joining the swbkrun group with you. I fully understand how you feel. I was in the same "pool" last year! If this makes you feel any better, most pool races require you to post a 100yd swim time, and then you are put in order according to that swim time. That way you won't pass (or be passed) by people.

Good luck. You signed up, that is the first battle.

Tracy
2008-01-04 4:14 PM

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Here it goes!
I am also an Eastside Seattlite. My favorite way to explain how I got into trying the tri is to say I got up off the couch and 8 weeks later had lost 27 pounds and did a sprint triathlon (Lake Sammamish). I have 3 children 8,6, and 4. I am a stay at home mom and love it. I was an athlete throughout high school and stayed active in college but just sorta stepped away from it. I am not motivated to workout at all, I have tried for years to start "working out". This was different. I wasn't working out, I was preparing for COMPETITION!! I was especially excited about the personal competition. Could I even complete a triathlon? I wasn't sure but I was going to do everything to find out. I did finish it and UNDER my goal of 2 hours. My family is so supportive and love that I am committed to 2 sprint tris and a possible olympic, (I may do that as a sprint) and I have 2 bike races planned in April and May. I took the winter off and have not gained any weight back but have lost a lot of ground as far as conditioning.
2008-01-04 4:42 PM

Hi steve, My name is Meg and I am interested in joining your group. I happen to live in Bellevue also and thought it would be great to have a mentor in the area.

I started working out 1 year ago today and have lost about 45lbs. I work as a life guard and swim instructor for Samena Swim and Rec Club. The staff at the club gave me and still give me so much support to accomplish 1 goal at a time. It was one of the guys I work with that encourage me to do the Subaru Super Sprint Tri last year. My goal was to finish and I did, what an awsome feeling. That is the only Tri I have done and I really would like to do more but I feel like i need real help in the training area. I still have a good amount of weight to drop, so some things are a real struggle. The great thing is that I love the water and I have a good stroke, my biking and running well; they need work.

I am just starting to think about getting a new bike, one that fits. I rode my mountain bike last year. I have never been super athletic and when they called me an athlete at the Tri I asked if they were talking to me or the person behaind me.

At this point I don't see myself coming even close to doing an Ironman or anything even close to that. I would like to do some more super or super sprints this next year and then go from that point and see how I feel. After all I never thought I would be even looking for a mentor to help me with anything athletic.

Thats most of my story, what happens next? I look forward to hearing from you. Is your wife still doing any Tri's?

Have a great day, Meg

2008-01-04 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1134507

Hey Kim, Way to go on the Lake Sammamish srint Tri. I want to look into that one for next year. I have 1 daughter age 10 and I need to change her out look on being healthy and active, so I decided to start with myself. I look foreward to being in a group with you. Talk to you soon.
2008-01-04 11:50 PM
in reply to: #1134611

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
double--I am really hoping we both get in this group too, I was looking at your info and immediatley felt like we are in the same boat...well I guess there are no boats so I guess in the same lake. I have a few friends in Duvall yes I live in Duvall, that are also doing Tris. Some of us are newbies others seasoned. I am really looking forward to some tips, suggestions, encouragement. I am looking to make this a lifetime commitment and want to progress and not just show up and finish. What is Subaru Super Sprint? I am looking at some bike races in April and May Tulip Festival and San Juan Island. 20 and 30 miles respectively. I also need to buy a bike in the next 6 months or so and am really worried about that. I road a $1200 Felt Triathlong bike my friend loaned me and now I am back to the 12 year old mountain bike. (at least it hasn't had much mileage until this year!!!) So there you go. Way too much info but hey. What tris are you thinking about?
2008-01-05 3:16 PM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
hey steve,

my name is richard and i am doing my first triathlon in april (it's a sprint). im super motivated when it comes to working out and i do so on a very regular basis... i just need a bit of direction... it says your group is still open... can i join?

sincerely,

richard
2008-01-05 7:39 PM

New user

Philadelphia
Hey Steve, my name is Patrick and I am interested in joining the group if there is still room. A little bit about me... I am a 27 yr old former smoker from Philadelphia,PA. I got into running as a means to keep myself from going back, that was almost 3 years ago. While training for a ten mile race last season i followed a plan which included all three sports, naturally this lead to me attempting my first tri. I completed 2 sprints last season and am attempting to move up to the olympic level this year. I don't have a hard time motivating myself to complete all my workouts b/c I tell everyone that am i going to do these races and the embarrassment of having to say i quit is enough to keep me going. I am not particularly strong inany area,but managed to impress myself w/ my results last year. I even did my second tri w/ an ocean swim which was quite difficult. As I move up to the next level I am looking for help w/ good training methods as well as any nutrition tips. I would like to understand ways to improve my times rather than just finish the races (although that is quite a good feeling by itself). I plan on competing in several races this season w/the hope that i can move up in distance over the next few years.

Thanks,
Patrick
2008-01-06 2:13 AM

User image

Pro
Ok ok I am such a pompas (sp?) and am totally excited about the new group we have! All you crazy canadian need to help me convert METRIC!!! THIS will be so much fun! I apologize about my lack of commitment so far. I was out for the holiday then at home sick!!! NOW I AM BACK OUT ON THE TRAILS, and in the gym! THIS IS GOING TO BE SO COOL! This is my 3rd season leading a mentor group and I think it is the great thing ever! Do me a favor and feel free to pm me any time on anything! For those that are local here, we will try and get together every now and again to keep each other motivated!

I also like keeping tabs on people w/ there work outs... Reading what they did, how they felt, etc...... I will often send out group notes, along w/ individual pm's.... I also throw in a few notes in your work outs from time to time....

A quick note on me... I love the outdoors, whether it is Triathlon, Trail Runs, Mtn. Bikes, Hiking, Mountaineering, or Adventure Racing... I spent a lot of time doing a LITTLE OF EVERYTHING! I am no EXPERT BY ANY MEANS, but I can tell you that I have probably done more wrong in training, rehabs, and racing than most people... SO I GOOD TO TELL YOU WHAT NOT TO DO!!!!!!!!

Since it is almost 1am on a Saturday night, and I am lame doing this... I will get more into tomorrow or Monday.... But in the mean time... HAPPY TRAINING!

2008-01-06 9:04 AM

New user

Hello, I'd like to join your mentor group if you have room. I started back at the gym in July 2007. Couldn't run .5 miles, bike 3 miles, or swim .1 miles. Then I stumbled across Triathlon on a web search, and began training for a Sprint. I was able to reach Sprint distance levels consistently in November, so I signed up for the Olympic training plan. I am training 5-6 days a week now heading for the Olympic level, but plan on doing 1 super sprint, 2 sprints, then moving up from there. Now I feel "obsessed" and can't wait for my first race. I keep thinking, training, and living Triathlon even though I haven't actually participated in one!!

Dan
2008-01-06 2:17 PM

New user

Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
Sorry you were under the weather, swbk. I have a cold as well, which seems to be going around here as well. Looking forward to getting to know everyone better, and hopefully learn and motivate as a group. Thanks swbkrun for volunteering!
2008-01-07 11:04 AM

User image

Pro
Alright.. I have read through everyone stories, and workout logs!! AND I AM MOTIVATED! I am really looking forward to this year, and I am committed to making us all better athletes, w/ this we become better people, HAPPIER, MORE CONFIDENT, and ENERGETIC!! We will ALL learn so much throughout this year! The trend that I find doing this programs is that everyone gets ramped up until May or so, then the weather gets nice, and everyone starts racing, traveling, etc, this is when the program seems to slide, but that is when we NEED EACH OTHER THE MOST!

Here is who we have:

swbkrun- Steve
billycanuck- Bill (just a guess!)
learningcenter- Lauren
westendgirl- "a member of the petshop boys?"
Itan- Igo
Taopu- Shelly
Tahrens- Tracy
Double07- Megs
kimlogin- Kim
PDG1980- Patrick
offwego- Dan

This is solid group of 10 people and am looking forward to this!

What do I hope to get from this:

I look at this group to motivate me, and hopefully motivate you. Like I stated Saturday, I have spent a lot of taking making mistakes in races, and will continue to... However that is the joy for me... Learning from my mistakes! I look at these races as enjoyment... The workouts are the "work." I don't compete against others. I always just look to improve MYSELF. They day I start competing is the day I am not having fun (in my opinion). I have other priorities I compete in... Work, Family, Mortgage, etc....

My accomplishments:

I have gotten lucky at a few races.... 2nd in AG and 11 overall at a Sprint Race, 3rd Overall and 1st in our Division in an Adventure Race, 1st in Coed Relay Olympic Tri (w/ my wife!), but there are many more races where I PR'd and finished dead last in my age group! It just depends on the day, race, etc....

My goals this year:
1st and foremost is to finish Ironman Canada (if I do better than 2 years ago, then yippee for me!), I will probably do 2 1/2 Ironman's to get me ready, SEVERAL LONG BIKE RIDES, hopefully a couple NICE LONG HIKES, and 4 adventure races.... All while taking a few vacations... 1 week in Puerta Vallarta, 10 day Mexican Riveria Cruise (2 weeks before Ironman-OUCH!), 1 week in Arizona and Countless weekends in Eastern Washington at our Lake House- Great riding over there!
2008-01-07 1:01 PM

User image

I have 2 questions about training...

When its a bike workout, does it matter if I ride a stationary bike in the gym vs. my bike out on the road? I imagine its better to ride my bike, since that's what it will be like, but I wondered if the stationary bike is good too.

Also, I'm following a training plan from the beginner triathlete website, but there aren't really any days to run following a bike (unless they're way far into the program and I haven't seen them yet). Should I be running after my bike rides?

Thanks for your help! I imagine there's no set rules on this stuff, so that kind of answer is ok, too!
2008-01-07 5:57 PM

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Just to let all you Seattlites know. I got stuck in the snow/hail that just whipped through our emerald city. I am in the Snoqualmie valley so you might not have seen it. But this was my first outdoor run in a few months I am new to the area and don't really like to exercise in the rain so I am a gym rat in the winter.

I knew with my schedule today I wouldn't make it to the gym so I saw the sun peak out at 2:30 and got excited to live a little. I HAD to log something today. Yes I had my 4 yo in the stroller (all 53 lbs of her) so it was a little slow going. I had run about a mile when it got really dark and VERY cold. About 10 minutes after the snow /hail started I was starting to get used to it. Then I began to get VERY concerned....

I was wearing a long sleeve white tshirt!!!!! AAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I can't win for losing! ( love that quote by the way)

2008-01-07 6:20 PM
in reply to: #1140106

New user

Ouch, Kim, that doesn't sound fun! That storm is supposed to be here later today and into tomorrow morning.

Running in the rain really isn't bad. It's just the getting out there. But if you are wearing the right clothes, its ok. My best investment concerning running in the rain was a baseball hat. It keeps the water out of my face!
2008-01-07 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1139193

User image

Pro
learning_writer - 2008-01-07 11:01 AM

I have 2 questions about training...

When its a bike workout, does it matter if I ride a stationary bike in the gym vs. my bike out on the road? I imagine its better to ride my bike, since that's what it will be like, but I wondered if the stationary bike is good too.

Also, I'm following a training plan from the beginner triathlete website, but there aren't really any days to run following a bike (unless they're way far into the program and I haven't seen them yet). Should I be running after my bike rides?

Thanks for your help! I imagine there's no set rules on this stuff, so that kind of answer is ok, too!

2 Very good questions...

1st) Road vs Stationary--- You can always get a better work out on the road however on the other side a stationary bike you usually sweat more, and you never really give your legs a rest. You are always moving!!!!

2nd) What type of race are you training (distance) for? The longer the distance, the more you will want to train your muscle memory on this feeling. If you have not done it before----BE PREPARED! The run w/ feel terrible at the start... You will warm up... I always try to do 1 a week, and will ramp that up the closer to Ironman.

Hope this helps... ANY EXCERCISE IS GOOD!
2008-01-07 6:50 PM
in reply to: #1140106

User image

Pro
kimlogin - 2008-01-07 3:57 PM

Just to let all you Seattlites know. I got stuck in the snow/hail that just whipped through our emerald city. I am in the Snoqualmie valley so you might not have seen it. But this was my first outdoor run in a few months I am new to the area and don't really like to exercise in the rain so I am a gym rat in the winter.

I knew with my schedule today I wouldn't make it to the gym so I saw the sun peak out at 2:30 and got excited to live a little. I HAD to log something today. Yes I had my 4 yo in the stroller (all 53 lbs of her) so it was a little slow going. I had run about a mile when it got really dark and VERY cold. About 10 minutes after the snow /hail started I was starting to get used to it. Then I began to get VERY concerned....

I was wearing a long sleeve white tshirt!!!!! AAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I can't win for losing! ( love that quote by the way)

GOOD FOR YOU GETTING OUT! I was biking in my house looking out the window.. THINKING TO MYSELF "BOY I AM GLAD I AM NOT OUT RUNNING IN THIS STUFF!

Let's just hope I don't eat my words when I go for a run tonight!
2008-01-07 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1140211

User image

I'm training for a sprint, by the way. The swim is 500 yds (10 laps) in a pool, 12 mile bike, and 5k run. Seemed doable for my first...

This is the website:
http://www.canbygators.com/grinder.htm

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10