of 10

2008-03-20 9:02 AM
in reply to: #1281913

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
Lauren,

That is awesome. Under 10 minute miles for a 10K! I wish I could do that. Fantastic. Congrats!!!

Tracy

2008-03-20 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1116923

User image

Well, it was an 8k, but still an accomplishment for me!
2008-03-21 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

Great work!

Anyone racing this weekend, or plan on anything fun? 

2008-03-21 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1285045

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
6 mile trail run for me tonight...
75 mile ride w/ friends tomorrow
10 mile trail run @ 5am on Sunday before church, and the WHOLE Family coming over for BRUNCH!

I would like to sit on the couch and watch a movie as well!!!!

Happy Easter to ALL!
2008-03-24 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Went for my first run since the surgery on Friday and it went great. I thought I would just do a mile and see how it felt, but that turned into my 5K route and I set a personal best for the mile in the process! ( I must have been running down hill ) Then on Sunday I went for a 25mile bike ride with my group and it felt awesome. I was able to attack the hills pretty well and didn't feel winded at all. In fact, when I got home I turned it into a mini brick and ran the 1 mile path in my neighborhood. Maybe taking a week off it the best thing I could have done. Either that or I am so happy to be feeling better that I have lots of energy. I am anxious to get in the pool this week. I haven't swam at all this month and the month is drawing to a close fast.

How did everyone else do over the holiday weekend? Were people able to get away?

Tracy
2008-03-24 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1289350

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

We went up to Cambridge, MA to visit my wife's sister and her husband. I was able to get out both Saturday (2.5 mile loop around the local reservoir) and Sunday (longest pool workout yet, 2000y!)

Today should be the first day that I can get out on my new bike, just hoping that getting up at 3am this morning to get to the airport doesn't knock me out when I get home from the office!

Thank you all by the way, having this group, even though it hasn't been super active, has been a boon because it helps me remember that there are other people like me out there, that keep plugging away at their training and knocking down goals! 

2008-03-24 8:25 PM

User image

Pro
tahrens - 2008-03-24 7:57 AM

Went for my first run since the surgery on Friday and it went great. I thought I would just do a mile and see how it felt, but that turned into my 5K route and I set a personal best for the mile in the process! ( I must have been running down hill ) Then on Sunday I went for a 25mile bike ride with my group and it felt awesome. I was able to attack the hills pretty well and didn't feel winded at all. In fact, when I got home I turned it into a mini brick and ran the 1 mile path in my neighborhood. Maybe taking a week off it the best thing I could have done. Either that or I am so happy to be feeling better that I have lots of energy. I am anxious to get in the pool this week. I haven't swam at all this month and the month is drawing to a close fast.

How did everyone else do over the holiday weekend? Were people able to get away?

Tracy

That is great to hear!!!!!!!!!!
2008-03-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1289734

User image

Pro
MoquiVA - 2008-03-24 10:21 AM

We went up to Cambridge, MA to visit my wife's sister and her husband. I was able to get out both Saturday (2.5 mile loop around the local reservoir) and Sunday (longest pool workout yet, 2000y!)

Today should be the first day that I can get out on my new bike, just hoping that getting up at 3am this morning to get to the airport doesn't knock me out when I get home from the office!

Thank you all by the way, having this group, even though it hasn't been super active, has been a boon because it helps me remember that there are other people like me out there, that keep plugging away at their training and knocking down goals! 

BY THE WAY WE LOVE TO SEE PICTURES OF THE NEW BIKE!!!
2008-03-25 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Okay swimmers out there, I need lots of advise. I am officially committed to competing in my first olympic distance in September and therefore will be doing an open water swim. So the topic is wetsuits! Is renting one an option, and if so is the fit usually so off that it is a problem? Second, I will be swimming in the Chesapeake Bay in September and the water conditions are brackish, varying waves and currents (depending on the weather), with water temps in the 70s. I don't know whether a sleeveless suit is best to prevent over heating and allow for maximum movement, or should I go for the full body suit to maximize boyuancy? Third, got any recommendations on brands? From reviewing some of them on line I am a standard woman's medium so size shouldn't be a concern, (unless you know of brands that fit weird). HELP, I AM SO CONFUSED!

And since we are on the subject, got any good advice for doing an open water swim? Other than getting in some open water and swimming!!!

Tracy

Edited by tahrens 2008-03-26 9:35 AM
2008-03-26 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

Hi Tracy,

Which MD race are you doing? Annapolis? (I guess that it technically doesn't have to be a MD race, it could be VA or NC too )

If so, Bonzai Tri in Falls Church, VA has a rental program for wet suits (I think it's $5 per day, with a 7-day minimum rental window) and they are pretty spot on for sizing them (www.tribonzai.com).

I haven't experienced the difference between the long-john style and full-sleeves myself, but from the extensive reading, it really sounds like the added benefit of the full suit outweighs anything the long-john offers, especially in water that is on the cooler side.

Are you doing any of the VA Triathlon series races this year? I will be down at the Breezy Point race in Norfolk in May, and Annapolis later this year. If you are doing either, let me know, it's good to be able to meet up with people I "know". 

Edited by MoquiVA 2008-03-26 3:46 PM
2008-03-29 9:46 PM

User image

Pro
Hopefully everyone is doing well.... I have been fighting a 101 degree temperature since Weds. Night! I am just starting to be able to eat again. Still can't taste anything. I have never felt this sick before.... Can't wait to start getting back after it... I missed a 2 hr run today, and am schedule for a 4 hour bike ride followed by a 30 minute run... That ain't going to happen tomorrow... OH MAN!!

2008-03-31 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1295736

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Ben,

The race is the Annapolis Tri in Annapolis MD. It is an olympic distance on September 7th. It's part of the Columbia Triathlon Association. Here is the web site http://www.tricolumbia.org/Annapolis/

Is that the Annapolis race you referred to for yourself? I agree, it would be great to meet up. I am also going to run the Army 10 miler in Washington DC. Registration for that opens tomorrow and the race is October 5th. I am viewing it as a birthday present to myself! Again, here is the website for that race. http://www.armytenmiler.com/index.cfm

From viewing your personal page, it seems like you have your plate quite full already. Let me know. And thanks for the advise on the wetsuits. I was looking at the photos from the Annapolis race last year and it looks like most people were wearing full suits. Besides, last year it was in the harbor (which is pretty sheltered) and this year it will be in the Bay proper. So by my estimate, I am expecting the water temp to be a little colder. Still scary.

Hope everyone has a fun April Fool's Day. Steve, I hope you are feeling better soon. That's miserable. Hope it's not the flu. Take care of yourself.

Tracy
2008-03-31 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1304395

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

Hi Tracy,

Nice to know about the Army Ten Miler. I tend to keep a bunch on my race schedule (not all signed up for, just a place for me to keep track of what I want to do). The ATM is a week before the Baltimore HM, but it might be a good training run to do in advance to start the week. I tend not to run too much of a taper, because all of this year's training is leading up to the CA70.3 next March and Eagleman next June.

The Annapolis Tri sounds like so much fun. From what I understand, part of it will be in the Severn River, leading out into the Bay, so I think you are right about water temp and wet suits. I plan on renting a full suit, because I am a big wimp that way

As the races get closer, let's talk and see about meeting up. I know a few other local people are going to be heading up for Annapolis, so I can introduce you to them as well.

--

Feel better Steve!

-Ben

2008-04-01 6:57 AM

User image

Calgary, Canada
Tracy

This is amazing to have a such a good workouts after your surgery
Best of luck with your recovery and keep us posted. It inspires me to hear your story, when I am having an off day because of little pains and sicknesses
2008-04-01 7:35 AM
in reply to: #1301941

User image

Calgary, Canada
Hello Steve

Hope you are getting better soon.
To cheer you up, exercise wise I was probably doing worse that you last week. My two kids had a week off for Easter, which is good enough reason for me to take some time off work :-) Visited family in Vancouver with some site seeing downtown. Weather was raining and damp, but some trees were already blossoming, fantastic for someone from Calgary. Ate too much and did not do any workouts. Well time to get back on the wagon and put some serious miles in for April!
A belated happy Easter to you all!
2008-04-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1307179

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Igo,

Thank you for the kind words. You are a great inspiration to me, Ironman training....wow! I think how I make excuses during the week and don't want to get out there, and here you are, doing it every single day. I guess Ironman training is the difference between wanting to do it and actually doing it. Keep going, it is great to watch your progress.

Tracy

2008-04-02 6:49 PM

User image

Pro
Hoping everyone is looking forward to a new month, and getting closer to Summer, and Racing???? I know for me I can't wait. Battling walking Pneumonia has put a damper on my spirits, fitness, and weight.... I can't wait to get back to life as I remember.....

Last month, I didn't get nearly as much working out in as I liked, but being sick, and being in Mexico for a week, I can't complain too much... I JUST DO!!!!

Bike: 193
Ran: 77
SWAM 1 stinkin' time.... WHAT! I thought I got there at least 2x's!!!!! Man I have ISSUES!
2008-04-08 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

I have been putting together a 56-week "Sprint through HIM" workout plan. Anyone up for a critique of it once once I can post it up online?

Basically I have found that the plans here are great, but I wanted something longer term than the 20 week and more focused on bridging between the different distances.

It's based around just building volume, with the next 56-week plan I develop focused on building speed.

Maybe it's too long a cycle, but from talking with the newbie triathletes who I work out with, they seem to feel that giving a year goal (with interim goals along the way) helps them recognize that it's not a "hey, I trained for three weeks, now I am done" lifestyle.

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated Hoping today is light at work so I can finish my spreadsheet. 

2008-04-08 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1323137

User image

Calgary, Canada
Subject: 56-week "Sprint through HIM" workout plan
Hello Ben

Where were you 36 weeks ago? Your 56 week plan is just what I was looking for to train for the Ironman at that time. I love to see the plan and will use it for next year Ironman.... if I survive my first one (which is exactly in 20 weeks) :-).
Good luck with this great initiative

PS How is the bike? Pics?

Edited by ITan 2008-04-08 3:25 PM
2008-04-08 11:27 PM

User image

Pro
Ben that seems like a great idea... 56 weeks to build a base!!!! Keep in mind SO SO much can happen in that year, but definitely a good STRUCTURE!!! Email it to me... I would love to take a look at it....

My email: [email protected]

2008-04-09 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1325277

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

swbkrun - 2008-04-09 12:27 AM Ben that seems like a great idea... 56 weeks to build a base!!!! Keep in mind SO SO much can happen in that year, but definitely a good STRUCTURE!!! Email it to me... I would love to take a look at it.... My email: [email protected]

You are definitely right Steve, a lot can happen. My "plan" (once I find someone who understands Excel pivot tables better than I) is to build in the ability to change the plan as your needs change.

It would employ multipliers (1%, 5%, 10%) to adapt the whole plan based on where you felt you were. That's the geek in me trying to make this a mash-up of tri culture and computers.

2008-04-09 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

As an aside (and the reason for my plan creation), IM CA 70.3 opens for registration late tonight (12AM Pacific, 3AM East Coast). It's next April 4 in Oceanside, CA.

www.ironmancalifornia.com

2008-04-09 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA
The bike is great! I need to get that picture for you all. I have been waiting on my tires, but those aren't going to be installed anytime soon, and I need to fix the cable routing on my shifters (not sure why the LBS didn't internally route... but I digress). But I promise that once I get back from my ride tonight I will take one!
2008-04-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1324264

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: 56-week "Sprint through HIM" workout plan
Ben,

That plan sounds just like me. I did a bunch of 5K's and one sprint last season and had so much fun training and participating that now I feel I could concur any race! (Yhea, right ) I would love to take a look at it. Now that I am training (and I use that term very loosely at the moment) for longer races later in the season, I find myself only thinking about one sport at a time. I plan to use the longest olympic plan I could find in this website and that is a 20week plan. I would be nice to have a longer guide to keep me from slacking (like I am now) and then trying to cram everything in 2 months before the race dates. I am excited to see your plan.

Steve, are you back from death? How are you feeling? Isn't the term "walking pneumonia" such a false claimer? Just because they put the term walking in front of it people are suppose to think it is not as bad as "regular" pneumonia and therefore you are not allowed to feel as bad. I had that a few years ago and it was terrible. I hope you are on the fast road to recovery.

Edited by tahrens 2008-04-09 9:56 AM
2008-04-10 6:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA
Subject: "And then there was this time, in band camp, when I did a 70.3..."

An email confirmation has been sent for each of your registrations. Please save this email for your records and refer to your confirmation number should you need to contact us about your payment.

************************* REGISTRATION FOR ***************************

2009 Ford Ironman 70.3 California

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10