BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Axford's Group - closed and killin it!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2007-12-26 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: Ken Axford's Group - closed and killin it!!!
USERNAME: kenaxford NAME: Ken

STORY: Hi, my name is Ken, and I'm a triathlon addict...
I have been competing in triathlon since college (1998 to be exact) I began swimming as a lifeguard in college to maintain my fitness, entered my first sprint which was held at the same pool I was lifeguarding. I was hooked. Since then I have competed at every distance including the Ironman in 2007. (Ironman Coeur D'Alene) I have recently resigned form the Corporate world to follow my wife around who is a traveling nurse. (that means we move every 3 months) We are headed to Colorado Springs for the first quarter. This gives me more time to devote to my personal life, athletic endevours, and generally have more fun.

Family Status: married for three years (as of September) with no children yet

Current Training: Currently I am nursing a hip inflamation, so I'm on a light maintenance program. My typical off season consists of 2-3 bikes per week, 1-2 runs, 1 swim, and 2-3 weight lifting sessions. My weekly hours during the off season average 6-8. (including at least one day of fun stuff such as volleyball, tennis, snowboarding, etc)

This year's races (2007): residing in Orlando, FL, I completed the wildman olympic in March, Gulf coast half in May, and Ironman Coeur D'Alene in June. I happily exceeded all my goals in each race, so it was a very successful year for me personally.

2008 races: my race plan for 2008 is pretty flexible. (due to the traveling) As long as I stay healthy, I intend to compete in the South Carolina half in September along with numerous sprints and olympics along the way.

weightloss: I have never really faced a lot of struggles as far as weight is concerned. (Please don't throw eggs at this point) I was the small kid growing up, lifted weights in Highschool and college to bulk up, and have since leaned out to what I consider a good triahtlon weight. (155 at 5'7") My weight fluctuates to about 160 in the off season and down to 150 during race time. I am very nutrition concios (sp?) and very diligent about how much I eat as well as what kind of foods I eat. That being said, my favorite food is Pizza and I have a heck of a sweet tooth, so I work hard on my diet.

Why me?: short and simple: I love the sport, have almost 10 years of experience, and I love helping others reach their goals. It's kind of selfish in a way, but I get such a great feeling knowing that I have helped others reach their goals. Punch the guy card, because I actually tear up a little every time I see my wife race. I am happy to provide support however needed including any advice and/or moral support. I commit to checking the BT website at least 4 times per week and to stick with any of our mentor group at least through April and potentially beyond, depending on race schedules and personal needs. Please keep in mind I am not a coach (yet) but feel I can offer a lot of good advice. (as little or as much as needed)

I would like to limit our group to 5 so we can all communicate well amongst each other. Let's all make 2008 the best year ever !!!

Edited by kenaxford 2008-01-04 9:31 AM

2008-01-01 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1117000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: Ken Axford's Group - Open
Oh yeah, and only join this group if you plan on having lots of fun and kicking a lot of... tushy, this year !!!!
2008-01-02 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA
Hi Ken! Thanks for your willingness to give your time and to help those of us who need it I would like to join your group.

My name is Terry and I am a triathlon want-to-be. I am 38 years old, am married (to my very supportive husband, Tim), and have a two and a half year old, very active little boy. I live in the Atlanta area and work full-time in the software industry.

I completed my first triathlon last summer after many years of inspriation from my family (brother... that's you, sister-in-law, and mom). My dad and sister have also been very active over the years (running and tennis) and also inspire me to live a healthy lifestyle. Now, I want to build what I know is healthy into my life and hope to influence my own family to do the same. I love the sport of triathlon and the variety it has to offer. I have also found the triathlon community to be one of acceptance of newbies and great encouragement for the sport.

Last winter, I made the decision that 2007 was my year to do a triathlon. I bought new running shoes, swimsuits, goggles, and a bike and started training in Feb/March. I learned a ton and had a lot of fun in the process. I felt really good about completing three sprints and meeting that goal. However, my times were REALLY slow. I was hoping that in the process of training I would drop some weight, but that did not happen. I definately feel stronger, but still need to lose about 30 lbs. So, my "want-to-be" desire this year revolves around losing the weight, building endurance, and getting stronger.

I would like accomplish the following this year:

- Drop some LBs
- Use heart rate monitor for endurance training
- Complete a few more sprint triathlons (and run the full 5K)
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon

My two biggest challenges are time management and discipline (consistency in workouts and in healthy eating habits or lack of).

After a bumpy December, I am resuming the "Aggressive Couch to 5K Program". I am currently on week 10 (week 2 of phase III). My purpose in going back to the Couch to 5K plan is to build endurance in my running and to work on lowering my heart rate. In about three weeks, the plan moves from all running to a combination of bike and run. I also plan to return to the pool before the end of January.

My VERY tentative race schedule may include some of the following:

* 5/10 - Indian Springs Sprint (womens)
* 6/29 - Iron Girl Sprint (womens)
* 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race
* 8/10 - Acworth Sprint (womens)
* 8/23 - Peachtree City Sprint

I'm not yet sure which Olympic distance I want to shoot for. The West Point Oly is on June 14th, but I think that may be too soon for me.

I am excited about a new year, meeting new people, sharing our goals, and encouraging each other. Oh, and I forgot... a little tushy kickin'!

Terry
2008-01-02 11:36 PM
in reply to: #1127812

User image

Long Beach
Hello Ken,

My name is John and I am new to the tri world. It is great that you are providing us with your expertise in triathlons.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have signed up for the Olympic 2x Balance - 20 Week Program. I started in October 2007 with the Sprint Program, but found that it was not challening me enough so I modified it to the Olympic. This program is working me nicely.

WEIGHT LOSS: In late 2006 I was at my heaviest at 230 pounds. I am 5'10", so this was not healthy. My Cholesterol was 220 and my Triglycerides were 600. Needless to say, my doc was not happy. I began running on the treadmill at the gym and got down to 190 by April 2007. My Chol got to 189 and my Triglyc was down to 250. Once I decided to do a tri, I was back up to 215. I am currently 208.

2008 GOALS: Weight Loss and completing three tri's. The first is the Desert Tri in Palm Springs, CA on April 20, 2008. The other two are not yet determined.

PERSONAL BIO: I reside in Long Beach, CA with my partner (Erick), two dogs (Caeser and Samantha), and a cat (Mommy). I am a nurse working as an Administrator for a small Hospice Provider.

Since I began this journey, I have noticed that this sport really relies on those that are "insane" enough to want to do it. So... I hope that you are insane enough to kick my A__ to finish three of these life changing moments.

Here is to a healthier and better 2008.

John
2008-01-03 12:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
John and Terry: glad to hear from you guys. I can already sense the excitement you guys bring to the group. That's great !!! Looks like weight management will be a hot topic. It also seems like you both know what you need to do reach your goals. The best thing about the mentor goup is we all now have accountability for our diet and our workouts. (like it or not) It's good to see that you both have a plan already. Keep your logs current so we can all check in on each other.

2 current members and room for 3 more before we lock it down.

Edited by kenaxford 2008-01-03 12:03 AM
2008-01-03 12:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey Ter', the agressive 5k plan looks pretty good to gradually build your fitness as you gradually become more consistant in your workouts. Remember that this time of year is the time to focus on your technique in all three sports. Terry Laughlin (creator of total immersion swim technique) has a great saying that we should all acknowledge in the early season:

"fitness is something that happnes as you practice your techinque"

PS. since your my sister, you realize I have to be the hardest on you

2008-01-03 12:29 AM

User image

Malaysia
Hey Ken... Lotsa respect for the ironman distance.

It'd be really great if i can join your group, your experience would be very valuable to me and sice you're crazy enough to join an ironman, that's extra motivational point definately.

ME: My name's mo, i'm 26 and comes from malaysia. My main interest has always been running. Although i've never been fast, but i used to run quite a lot in school and college. Sad thing is about six years ago, social life and work kind of took over and the running stops.

2007: I've only started running again last march and since then have been trying to race again. Completed funny enough three 10ks, two Half-Marathons and one Marathon since then. My weekly milage's still quite low at 80km/week. Been off running almost a week now to nurse my very sore left it band.

2008: So far the swimming and cycling, which i havent done too much of, has only been strictly for cross-training purposes. But naturally triathlon seems like a cool idea and do-able with the right training. Swimming is my weakest link. I still couldn't swim freestyle more than 300m without stopping. So learning to swim long is my biggest challenge to a triathlon. Cycling seems more fun but still quite tiring, especially on my quads.

WEIGHTLOSS: My problem has always been being under-weight. But funny enough with all the workouts, my weight has increased and settled down at a healthy level. I'm now 124lb 5'7" tall.

Well as you can see, i'm pretty new to bt and triathlon so it'd be really great if i could join your group.

mo
2008-01-03 12:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
John, your program looks like a great build for your race in April. This program serves the purpose of building volume and endurance. ie: no fast stuff. If your like me, that will be a challange. How will you control your work out efforts? (perceived effort or heart rate montioring)
2008-01-03 12:44 AM
in reply to: #1130059

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
MO !!!! welcome brother !!!! First thing tomorrow night, I am getting online to learn more about Malaysia. (I'm so un-cultured, it's rediculous) Thanks for the props on the Ironman, it was defenitly a big life accomplishment.

From 6 years off to a mary' with lots in between..... no wonder your IT band is stressed !!!! Funny you say that, I'm actually attributing my hip problems with my left IT band. I'm trying out trigger points therepy to see if it helps. I'll keep you updated if it helps me.

I can already tell that your biggest challange will be scaling back the run volume. From what I have seen, the most successful atheltes work mostly on their weaknesses. That means running for you will be what you do the least. That helps to create a well rounded athlete. Plus your joints will thank you.

Are there any races you would like to do in 2008? Have you looked at any of the programs on this website that you are considering?
2008-01-03 3:54 AM
in reply to: #1130070

User image

Malaysia
Well the first thing you'll find out on the news about malaysia is that there's a video of the health minister having sex with an unknown girl circulating on the net.... Other than that, there's the ironman langkawi which is said to be one of the toughest because of the heat.

I've got a couple of races lined up, both foot races. A 20k on the 20th this month and a marathon in June. The thing is races are still done at a small scale here in malaysia. Most are organised by small group of runners or triathletes themselves. Races are only announced 2 or 3 months before the event. So it's quite hard to really plan ahead. And as of now there are still no triathlon announced for this year.

Just had a quick look at the plans. The Olympic - 3x Balanced seems the closest to what i've been doing except i only do 1 long cycle a week, and the other 2 bike slots replaced by running. I'll definately have to study the plans more closely and decide which are more suitable. And yes i'll most definately miss my runs!!

I didnt know the itbs could cause hip issue. How long have you had the problem for. Of course, i'll give trigger points therepy a try if it helps. Do tell me how it goes. It is really annoying not getting to run right now.

Anyway ken, really appreciate you doing this. And congratulations terry for completing your first triathlon last year.... john, totally agree, it's great to have all of you insane people to motivate me doing this.

mo
2008-01-03 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA
John and Mo,

Hi! It's a pleasure to meet both of you! I look forward to sharing stories, questions, successes, challenges, etc. with you guys.

It's amazing that we can be in a "group" together, while we live so far away from each other. I love it!

Glad to know you both

Terry

2008-01-03 1:16 PM

User image

Austin, TX
Ken & All,

If I could join your group I'd appreciate it. I am a beginning triathlete. I completed my first sprint distance in Nov 2007. Currently I am trying to get my running legs back from an extended holiday vacation (almost a month off). I was running and logging my times here on BT with a vengeance up until November. I've since slacked off completely. I want to accomplish a few goals this year. 1st I signed up for the Frost Your Fanny Duathlon 5k/21k/5k in Leander,TX. Then in February I plan on hitting the Austin ATT Half Marathon. After that I am going to be on the lookout for a few sprints then a few olys after that. I would ultimately like to do a HIM at the end of the season but I am not getting my hopes up just yet. My swim times suck and I am basically starting over from scratch right now having taken off a month. I was working out 6-7 days a week and putting in alot of time on the run portion. I had IT band problems but I got a foam roller and did alot of yoga to stretch it out. Right now I can comfortably run about 5 miles but I am always trying to go further and faster. I will start logging again so I can keep up with my progress. Hope all is well with yall.

Take care,

Mike512
2008-01-03 4:03 PM

User image

Long Beach
Ken,

It is the challenge for me as well on my program. Strength has not been that difficult for me since my early days in the Navy. I gain muscle very quickly, but it is getting that muscle that hurts. I currently have a lower lumbar strain secondary to an injury while in the Navy and a couple years ago during a personal training session I injured my rotator cuff. Not to the point of requiring surgery, but the pain returns when I push that area too much. I thought that the endurance program would help me reach my goal more efficiently. I also needed a way to be "told" what to do on each training day and for how long. When I began working with the Sprint Program, it was too easy, so I intestinally modified it to keep me interested and challenged. I tend to go past what the day's activity would have me do. For example, yesterday, January 2, I was to swim for 48 minutes. While I was approaching the end of the time, I was over my personal best and wanted to push myself to a new "best." Therefore, I swam for 55:41 to reach a distance of 2500m. I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD EVER DO THAT.

Mo,

Welcome to our little band of insane tri-ers. It is great to see that we have an international presence. It is also good to have a member with so much running experience, for this is my weakest area right now.

Terry,

Your story is an inspiration to me, great job in 2007. I know you can meet your goals for 2008. A runner as well... I am looking forward to your advice as well. I also think it is great that there are members of our group from varying areas of the globe. This can give us a unique perspective on training secondary to styles, time availability, weather, elevations, etc.

Mike,

Sounds like we have some commonality as well. I slacked off since Thanksgiving and only went back on Dec. 30, 2007.

To Everyone,

I am looking forward to all of us meeting our goals, supporting each other, and basking in the glory of our eventual successes.

Good Luck,
2008-01-03 6:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Got room for one more??

USERNAME: aquinn NAME: Amy

STORY: My name is Amy. I have never done a tri. I bike, I run, I don't sink......

I have been running for several years (one full, several half marathons and other smaller stuff) I bought a road bike in 2005, and love to ride (the farthest I've done is a Half Century Ride), but finding time to get in a nice ride can be a challenge, especially when I am training for a longer run, and feel I must run run run. I do have a trainer for my bike-- gotta set it back up! I only started swimming in the pool about a year ago. I have not done too much of it, but considering where I started (could not keep my face down in the water), I've come a long way. I can do a half mile, which takes me a long 45 minutes with stopping to rest (it's totally mental) and have done no open water swimming except for recreational. I am an attorney and work for the state.

Family Status: Married with 2 boys- 8 and 6. Just turned 37 on Friday.

Current Training: After doing an 11 mile leg of a full marathon relay, and then two half marathons this summer and fall, I sorta dropped out of the heavier training and got a bit sluggy. And then with the holidays, and travel for work, etc, all of my clothes feel tight and I feel flabby. How does that happen so FAST?? I do still run, do a cool class at the gym 2 times a week with 30 of minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights/abs/strength, try to hop into the pool one morning a week, and vary among the cardio machines and my treadmill. I also started working with a trainer about once a month in May-- at first I did not think it was helping but I shaved quite a bit of time off my half times from previous years, and that felt great.
Haven't seen her since early November-- due back in on Sunday, though! I live in Lake Placid, NY, home of the Lake Placid Iron Man. Here, if you run a half or even a full, you ain't nothin', baby. We have a lot of extreme athletes and some are pretty cocky, which is a turn-off and intimidating when you want to break into the sport. Yuck. We have a mini- tri series on Monday nights in the summer- I've done the bike and the run and found a swimmer to swim for me on the few times I've done it. This morning at the gym, our instructor- also a close friend-- challenged us to sign up for the Tin Man (which she has done several times), or the half-Tin Man Sprint in Tupper Lake this June. And sign up for the sprint I did. Bring it on! I live 30 miles from Tupper Lake-- both here and there, it's very hilly. Very hilly. Did I say hilly?
In the winter, it's very snowy and cold here- I don't mind outdoor running in the cold, but bike and swim will be inside for quite some time. For fun, I like to ski- both downhill and cross country- though my boys only like to downhill, so I end up doing that more-- also got a pair of new snow shoes for my birthday.
2008 races: Tin Man Sprint Distance-- June 29, 2008. That's my only plan at this point, but I'd love to fill it in straight through the fall and stay busy and focused. I thought I was ready for another full marathon, but truthfully once I started doing more than only running, I think I'm in better all-around shape, so a tri plan seems better.

weightloss: I would say I am about 7-10 pounds over where I should be ideally. I'd love to firm up and lean out-- and LOOK 10 pounds lighter. I don't care what I weigh, if I look lean and fit. Did I mention that I love to cook and am sort of a foodie? Okay, really a foodie. Who collects cookbooks? and my husband owns a restaurant? Can you guess why I always struggle with those extra pounds? I am 5' 5" and hover around 153 pounds. That being said, I love healthy foods and love to eat and cook healthy foods just as much as I love things to cook and eat things like Mushroom Lasgna with Bechamel or Butternut Squash, Sage and Goat Cheese Lasagna with Hazelnut Brown Butter Sauce (two of my latest recipes).

My biggest challenge will be the swim. I feel like I could drag myself through the race tomorrow (I think??) but the training and the race for me will be about getting in top shape and finishing proud and strong (by my standards). I am a little nervous about the swim, but I am ready to PULL myself out of my comfort level and face this challenge-- with your help! I have no training plan, having only signed up this morning- and did not even know I would do it when I woke up today--- so I am ready for any and all suggestions. Looking forward to an active and supportive group. Thanks for considering me!

And Colordao Springs? You are lucky!! We were just there for a week in May when our niece graduated from the USAF. Cool, cool place to live!!

Edited by aquinn 2008-01-03 6:26 PM
2008-01-03 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA
Amy and Mike,

Welcome! Ken is in transit to Colorado Springs right now (I think). I have called him twice this evening and left messages for him. My last call let him know you guys were here I'm sure once he is able to access the web site, he will welcome you guys too.

Amy,

I'm so glad to have another chick in the group! Where do you live? (I just realized you already told us... Lake Placid, NY... duh!). How much do you travel? I used to be in my company's consulting organization and was on the road all the time. Whew! That can be really tough and I applaud your efforts while on the road.

Mike,

Interesting picture Anyone you know? How was your first tri in Nov? Isn't it such a rush! Makes you want to do another and another and another, doesn't it? It's pretty addictive.

John,

How long were you in the Navy? Where were you based? Thanks for serving the U.S.A.! I am by no means a runner. I aspire to be like you guys one day! Is the Desert Tri a sprint? That will be your first Tri, right? You're gonna love it!

Mo,

I am glad to have another part of the globe represented in our group. I think your update on how the events are organized is very interesting. Do the same few people generally organize all the events? About how many people participate in the triathlons?

All,

How long have you guys been looking at the BT web site? I'm impressed that the posting on this thead is the first or second for John, Mo, and Amy. Way to jump right in! I have been using this site for almost a year now and have not really committed to the community until now.

That's all for tonight. I'll check in again tomorrow. Good night and morning (for Mo)!

Terry

Edited by tw04429 2008-01-04 4:56 PM
2008-01-04 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Hi there.  I'd like to join if there's room.  I'm in Laramie Wyoming and my first tri was a sprint in fall of '06.  My goal is an HIM this year - Harvest Moon or Boulder series.  It will be a challenge for me to keep training through the summer as my work schedule gets very busy then, but I'm hoping that if I've got a good solid start and consistent training I'll manage. 

I'm just getting back into my training and nursing a rotator cuff injury - seems to be coming along.  I plan to start the 'Beginner 1/2 IM' plan (from BT) at the end of the month and am focusing on getting my swimming base back up (though everything needs work!). I somehow survived my oly last year after being in the hospital for a PE.  Still haven't quite recovered the lung capacity, though.

I love to train and to challenge myself, but I'm terribly inconsistent with my schedule and sometimes just don't get my a** out the door.  I'm not fast, but it usually doesn't take me long to get strong and build up my endurance.

Didn't read everyone else's posts yet - I'm at work - but would love to be a supportive member of an active group.

Cheers,

Sandi

2008-01-04 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA
Mo,

Where specifically in Malaysia are you? I'm looking at a map online. I bet it's beautiful!?!

Terry
2008-01-04 9:43 AM

birmingham michigan

Hello Ken,

If there are any openings I would love to join!  I have done numerous oly tri's over the years (st. A's, Nation's, even Disney!) but am entering new scary territory with a HIM.  Well, not just any HIM...Wildflower.  Yes, the hilly course with the trail run mixed in.  I have been out of the loop for a good six months but need some help with these new distances. 

Swimming is a weak sport for me.  I just don't love to swim.  I need someone to ride me about that.  Bottom line is I don't spend enough time in the water and am not quite sure what I should be doing.

Biking is my thing.  I have done 9 century rides in the last 3 years.  Love them and they have always been hilly courses.  I love to tackle hills.

My biggest challenge will be the run.  I am a terrible runner who has great difficulty pushing it further.  I have never run 13 miles.  I am nervous about this distance.  I need someone to push me.  No excuses.

Also, 2009 is possibly my IM year.  I definately need a mentor. 

2008-01-04 9:48 AM

User image

Torrance, California
Subject: RE: Ken Axford's Group - closed and killin it!!!
Ken, is your group still open? If so I'd love to join. I'm 42 and missing the shape I used to be in. I've always been into sports and still love to backpack and hike. A few years ago I blew out my ACL and I've haven't been able to get back to my former shape. A year of rehab and physical therapy made my legs stronger, but I had to learn to run again and it still hurts some when I run. This fall (on my birthday) I'd had enough and decided getting in shape to do tri's this year was my present to myself. I chose the 16 week Olympic training program and started training only to suffer an injury (my dog tripped my while on our walk and I strained my psoas muscle). I'm feeling back to normal, but 10 pounds heavier (on top of the 20 I gained after my knee surgery). I've already signed up for 3 races, the first being the Desert Triathlon (like John) in April, the Encinitas in May and the Los Angeles in September. My biggest challenge is going to be getting in my workouts with a busy schedule. I'll be working 2 jobs and going to school at night, but that doesn't mean I can't find 6 - 10 hours a week to work towards my goal. And if all goes well this year I want to work my way up to HIM within 3 years.....who knows, maybe a full Ironman is somewhere on the horizon.

Thanks for offering up your time, the support from you and the rest of the group would be fantastic and motivational.

Shelly
2008-01-04 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
sandy, Amy, and Mike, welcome to the group.

It's so exciting to see eveyone's post. A lot of 1st time BT'ers also. Good stuff. I just drove into Colorado Springs last night with my Wife Brandi, so we have a lot of stuff to do over the next day or two.

Mike: I feel your pain with time off. holidays and moving has kicked my butt !!! We'll get back in the saddle now though.

Amy: I love your comment about the cocky triathletes. I literally laughed out loud becasue I hate those types also. I take comfort in the fact that they are usually socially challanged. ie: they need a hug or two. Sounds like you have a great attitude about fitness in general. For your race, I think step one would be to find a training plan and then commit to it. this website has some good plans that are easy to tweak around a busy life. you can also check out other websites such as trinewbie.com, active.com, etc.

Sandy, good to have you. Especially after your PE incedent. (I had to ask my wife what that was. (she's a intensive care nurse) Scary stuff.

I'll check in more later. Looks like we have a good group.

2008-01-04 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
csarjenny and taopu: you guys both posted as I was closing out the group. I love it but hate it at the same time. Please check your inbox as I have sent a PM to both of you.

thanks and sorry.

2008-01-04 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1130062

New user

Ok guys here goes. I tried my first sprint in September with 3 days of trainging. Yes i made it but boy did I get my butt kicked by a lot of people. It was a hoot of a time and I was hooked. I now have signed up for 5 races this year starting in May and my goal is to do a 1/2 iron man in August. I signed up and paid for it already so the tight in me would make sure I get the training done to enter the race and keep my work outs up. Hate to loose the money becasue I did not work out and don't want to try it.
I just need a little bit of coaching and advice as well as just keeping the spirits up when really do not want to work out. Looking forward to a geat summer and ready to race. We are supposed to have 50 degrees tomorrow. Time to get the new bike I got for Christmas out to ride!!! Yippie. Sure beats 8 below.
2008-01-04 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA
Okay... here is a question for the group:

How do you guys manage your nutrition? I'm talking about every-day nutrition, not just pre-race or race day. Do you try to eat mini-meals throughout the day or stick to the three "square" meals a day or something else?

I'm logging my nutrition on BT and am trying to stick to the mini-meal approach. My lunch and dinner are usually my biggest meals of the day so I have to watch those really carefully. I'm trying to find some healthy, easy-to-carry snack ideas for approx 200 calories. My current ruts are string cheese, fig newtons, fruit (fresh or dried), natural peanut butter, and soy nuts. I'm not too crazy about yogurt, but I throw that in every once in a while. Any other ideas?

Terry

Edited by tw04429 2008-01-04 12:30 PM
2008-01-04 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA
Ken,

Okay... I have to be a little tough on you too. Coming from one whose name is often mis-spelled, Sandi is spelled with an " i " not a " y ".

Love ya!

Terry

Edited by tw04429 2008-01-04 12:47 PM
2008-01-04 1:20 PM
in reply to: #1133790

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Thanks, Terry!  The spelling usually doesn't bother me, but I admit it's nice when it's right!

As to the nutrition, I'm terribly inconsistent about mine and particularly struggle when I'm trying to drop a little weight at the same time.  I think, though, when it feels like I'm doing it right (for me) is when I have 3 moderate meals per day with nuts and fruit when I feel like I need it, plus the simple carbs before and 3g carb to 1g protein within 30 min after my tougher workouts.  Could definitely improve in this area!  (some of my training nutrition info has come from the Woman Triathlete book).

Sandi

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Axford's Group - closed and killin it!!! Rss Feed  

of 19