BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Axford's Group - closed and killin it!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-03-10 6:26 AM
in reply to: #1117000

User image

Malaysia
Subject: RE: Ken Axford's Group - closed and killin it!!!
Hey, how's everyone doing. I'm sorry, i've been away for quite a while. There were tonnes of stuff happening at work and also trying to stay on top of my plan was very hard. I'm just glad i manage to do the main workouts planned for the week.

Amy, congratulations for completing the swim challenge. I just quickly checked out the conversion calculator and 11000 yards is about 10000m, that's a lot!

Ken! That's a very very cool plan. I wish i could do that much in 1 week. Maybe not yet though, i would just drop dead within a couple of days.

Sandi, that skinny tire ride looks so cool. The pictures on the site look fantastic. wish we have open roads like that in malaysia. And the jersey look very funky too

Terry, wow that's so cool, you've already got a race this year. I've used mizunos before, 3 of them. They're great.

John, your break sounds fun. I'm sure you'll ease back pretty fast into your training. Sorry the job didnt turn out as well as you expected.

Oh and ken, i personally like the sound of Fitness Trainer more. Triathlon coach is very specific and sounds very serious. But then again john's suggestion sounds good. If you market it differently then serious triathlete might be more interested.

2008-03-10 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
thanks for everyone's input.  It sounds like fitness trainer is the prefered term for that side of the business.  I'll give everyone a heads up once everything is officially launched.
2008-03-10 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA

Hey guys and gals!

I'm kind of in a funk and have no idea why!?!?!  I'm feeling okay physically, but kind of burned out (have no idea on what).

I'm glad to hear from you guys!  Sounds like everyone is doing well.  I'll check in with you guys tomorrow.

Heading home to get on the trainer for at least 30 minutes... promise to myself and you guys

2008-03-12 7:48 AM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Mornin'everyone.  Headed out to get a run in.  Grr, I didn't plan very well - was going to swim today & didn't yesterday to rest from Monday, but we have a field trip today so I'll miss the pool hours... Don't know whether to ski (xc) with everyone else this evening or run or bike instead.

Terry I hope your day was better yesterday.  Call me anytime you need a pep talk!

2008-03-12 10:32 PM

User image

Malaysia
I had the worst night! Ok, it's mostly my fault but very very silly. I finish work at about 9 and of course the only thing i wanna do is just leave office as soon as possible and just get on with my training. So that's what i did. And know what, i didnt have enough gas in the car.

Engine went off in the middle of highway. So had to walk to the nearest petrol station which was 3km away, not too bad. But the car still wouldn't start! Had to call the patrol and had my car towed. He said for my car to start i have to fill up more.... and that pretty much took the whole evening, in the end no cycling
2008-03-13 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1268803

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
MO, that's horrible !!!  what a crapy night.  hopefully you get out at a decent hour tonight so you can work out  and de-stress a little bit.

2008-03-13 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Team moral is down !!!!    It seems like everyone is having feelings of burnout and spring fever.  

Don't be afraid to take a break from the regimented schedule.  Change things up a bit.  It won't hurt your fitness to do a little cross training now and then.  this is a tough time of the year as everyone is ramping up for the season and most races are still a few months away.  Remember that once race season hits, that will be the fun part. 

So until then, everyone keep your heads up, stay active, and don't be afraid to break away from the triathlon monotony once in a while.

2008-03-13 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Thanks for the pep talk! This time of year is the worst.

I am a bit encouraged by the new Look pedals and Sidi shoes I boughtt today- can't use 'em on the trainer till I bring my bike into the shop- I can change a tire, but that's where it ends-- but no more running shoes on the bike for this girl! (after tomorrow )

2008-03-13 9:57 PM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Ugh.  Another social dinner and good food.  I've gained 8 lbs on this trip!!!  I'll miss everyone, but thank goodness I can go back to having some control over my diet again.  Home tomorrow and can't wait to see my Pepper dog.

Have a good Friday everyone!

2008-03-13 9:59 PM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Thanks, Ken!!!

And thanks to all of you for being there and being you!

2008-03-14 4:51 AM

User image

Malaysia
Amy, you're gonna enjoy those shoes! Clipless makes so much of a difference from a flat paddle.

Just be careful though. Practice un-clipping and un-clip early before stopping, especially at intersection and traffic lights. It could cause some major embarassment which sometimes hurt more than the fall itself.

2008-03-14 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
The good news (??) is that my bike won't go outside for at least another 6 weeks so I can practice getting in and out of the pedals on my trainer- hopefully by the time the roads are free of snow, I can do it better and avoid any major issues (please, God). 
2008-03-14 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1271547

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Amy, Great purchase!!!   Once you get used to the clipless, you will love it.  funny experiment once your used to them...   go into a gym an ride the stationary bike without straps.  I can't do it because my feet always come off.  (due to improved technique)  It was real funny the first time I did it.

If I may...    offer a few tips on getting in and out for the first timers:

getting in:  clip one foot in while standing.  pedal a few times to get some speed up and then clip the other foot in.

getting out:  unclip one foot while still moving reasonably fast.  (for stability)  once stopped, place the unclipped foot on the ground to stand, and then unclip the other foot.  If you practice this method, you should be good. 

Terry, maybe you can chime in:  I don't think you have fallen yet using your clipless have you?

I fell a couple times when I first got mine, so if you do, don't sweat it.  Almost every cyclist falls at some point for this reason and it usually doesn't hurt physically (beacause your stopped)  it just may hurt the pride a little bit.  At least you have your trainer to practice with.

2008-03-14 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1270964

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
aquinn - 2008-03-13 8:12 PM

Thanks for the pep talk! This time of year is the worst.

I am a bit encouraged by the new Look pedals and Sidi shoes I boughtt today- can't use 'em on the trainer till I bring my bike into the shop- I can change a tire, but that's where it ends-- but no more running shoes on the bike for this girl! (after tomorrow )

Now that you can change a tire...  on to step two...   changing pedals.  It's very easy and I challange you to do it yourself.  I have attached a link below that will walk you through it if you think you can tackle it.  (and you would be very proud of yourself once you do)  At least look at the link before you decide.  you could do this in the time it takes you to drive to the bike shop and back.  If you are a little nervous about it, thats understandable.  A great second option is to let the guy at the bike shop show you how to do it.  Usaully they are very friendly in letting me do something myself and showing me how or at least look over their shoulder as they do it.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=83

Here is my brief description:

all you need is a wrench (or plyers) that fits the pedal axel and an allen wrench for your shoe cleats.  (an allen wrench is a hectagon shaped rod that will fit in the end of the bolts that attach your cleats)  You've probably heard the term "righty tighty, lefty loosey."  That is correct for the right side pedal and opposite for the left side pedal.  this means that you would turn the wrench counterclockwise to get the right side pedal off and clockwise to get the new right side pedal on.  Just the opposite for the left side pedal.

The old pedals might be hard to get off...   you can change the position of the cranks to get better leverage.   and make sure when the pedals break loose, your hand is not over the gear.  those little teeth don't feel good. 

Once you have the old pedals off, take a little bit of grease or lube and put it on the threads of the new pedals.   (this prevents it from locking up come time to replace them)  each pedal is usually marked with an "L" or a "R" to show you which side they go on.  reinstall using the wrench (or plyers) and you are all set.  just crank down on the wrench pretty hard and you won't have problems.  (you don't need to break otu the jaws of life or anything)

cleat installation instructions usually come with the cleats and they are usually self explanatory.

No pressure here, but just step two in your road to bike maintenance know how.  Let me what happens. 

Edited by kenaxford 2008-03-14 12:10 PM
2008-03-15 4:07 AM

User image

Malaysia
Hey, how's everyone doing.

Amy, give the pedal change a try. The worst thing that could happen is just you would still have go to the shop to get it done.

It's incubus night tonight. The only thing is, there'll be about 40 acts performing so incubus only playing at 12:30 am. So there goes my sunday morning ride.

Take care everyone, have a good weekend!

Oh and i'll probably not hit my milage target this week which is a bummer this early in the plan
2008-03-15 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA

Hey guys! 

Thanks for everyone's encouragement.  Between the funk, trying to stay above water at work, getting ready to go out of town for a week, working on selling our house and buying a new one, chasing and potty training a 2 1/2 year old, I've done horribly over the past few days

I better snap of out it quick because I start my official training plan in early April! :-O

Regarding the clipless pedals.... I have not fallen (yet) although I have come VERY close several times.  One time I almost took another person out with me. 

One thing Ken suggested to me last year was to go for a ride that id only focused on clipping in and clipping out.  Don't attempt a real workout during this ride.  That's what I did.  I'm sure the people in my neighborhood thought it was a little strange.

Also, I think it's more difficult to clip in and out while the bike is on the trainer.  Not sure if anyone else has that experience?  I'm thininking it's probably because the bike is fixed and you can't move it side to side to make it easier to get into the clips.

Can't decide today if I want to go outside for a run, get on my bike (trainer), or take my son to the pool (just to get in it)?  Hmmmmmm

Right now... off to the "potty" with Harrison.  This process is something else!?!?

Okay... well, before I could post the my message, the big event happened.  He ran off to the potty and went #1 and #2 (for the first time).  YIPPEE   Now, he's got the prized lollypop in his mouth and seems pretty excited.  Amy, I know you can relate.  To the rest of you... thanks for laughing at this with me

2008-03-15 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Terry- BIG DAY ! here's hoping he stays consistent. I was SURE my youngest son would be leaving for college in Pull-Ups. I mean CONVINCED.  It felt like it took forever.  Are you having bad weather? My boss is headed south to Mississippi by car by way of Atlanta, and I think he may be headed for some dicey weather.   Us, we just have another weekend of 30 degree temps, snow showers and gloomy skies. I am so DONE with winter. My younger son has one more session at the mountain tomorrow- I may show up for the little party at the very end, but I'm skipping the actual ski and working out with my trainer and then meeting some girlfriends for brunch. GOOD FOR ME, I say. You really have to dig deep to get through this fool weather.    Next weekend, I will spend time about 90 minutes from here in my hometown with my sister and her family- and then Thursday night 3/27- we will leave for the airport for the early flight (yet another real "plus" about living here-- the closest airport is 2 hours away!!

Long run scheduled for this afternoon- hoping to do 7 or 8 but really looking for dry roads. I have to admit I am likely taking the bike in to the shop. I am such a loser I don't even really know how to clip in or clip out, so I really need a Clipless Pedals for Idiots lesson. Plus, timewise, I just don't I can get in the workout and the pedal installation plus the bizillion other things I want to and need to do today. I must say, Ken's detailed description and Mo's encouragement made it tempting......but at this point, I just don't think so.

2008-03-15 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA

We had some bad weather early this morning, but it's calm right now.  I just checked weather.com and it looks like we'll have storms off and on all day.

Unfortunately, looks like your boss will in the middle of it

2008-03-15 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1273436

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mo,  I'm seriously jealous !!!  I was just listinign to a little Incubus a few minutes ago in my truck.  live would be awesome !!!

Amy, don't sweat the pedal thing, sounds like you have a lot going on.  Plus after the bike shop visit, you will know how to do it by first hand knowledge.

Terry,  congrats with harrison !!!  I hope you survived the storms ok today.  They sound pretty bad.  I started to call you and mom, but realized it was 9pm your time, so didn't want to disturb.  Sounds like the inspection went well on the new place.  Call me tomorrow if you get time so we can catch up.  I will be swimming, running, studying, and watching the bristol race, so no serious plans.

2008-03-16 6:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Hey, Everybody! It's snowing! [she faints from distress after humming "I'm Dreaming of a White Easter"]

Well, my bike is at the shop and frankly I feel like I left one of my kids there! (well, not quite ) They are going to put the bike computer on it. Pedals are on- I'm glad I didn't try it as it took both bike shop guys to get the pedals off- one held the bike while the other cranked the wrench-- AS IF I could have managed THAT. I got done there pretty much at closing time (4:30) and today they are only open Noon- 4 so I need to call and see if they are done some time in there.

So- I have no bike till late in the day, pool is closed and my legs are feelin' a little toasty from yesterday afternoon's run--- so besides stretching, I think I need to do some exciting things like put away laundry, clean out the fridge and go for a grocery shop. I'm meeting a a friend who just lost her mom 3 weeks ago for brunch and a walk. Very sad- Alzheimer's in her early 60's and had been very non-coherent for awhile. I am so scared for my friend, as this insidious disease is tearing through her family, and you know she must be feeling like it's her future, too. 

Two more quick notes - I found the Sonoma Diet Cookbook on the sale rackk at Borders on Friday for $3.99 - lots of great stuff in there for training- it's essentially lean meats, eggs, tons of veggies - great grilling and salad ideas. I can't wait to try something!

Also- have you ever heard of Phiddipidations? It is a running podcast that can be found on iTunes or at www.steverunner.com.  I had never heard of it, but is basically a runner's companion for a bit of a longer run- it ran 63 minutes- ironically, exactly as long as my run took me yesterday.  I guess it is comprised of different topics different weeks -- has some technical stuff, some humor, some feel-good stuff. I had never heard of it, but my best friend from law school emailed me yesterday to tell me she was one of the runners featured in this week's episode entitled "Who I Run For".  If you are sick of music, it's something different, and a free download. I can see myself listening to it again for sure, even though I'm a big music girl. Or sometimes, when the birds actually start singing again, a big silence girl.

2008-03-17 7:51 AM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Mornin' kids.  Hang in there, Amy.  Spring will arrive, despite all indications to the contrary. 

First day back at work, high pressure, and have to put my office back together after the carpet installation (and of course someone else packed it up).

Have a beautiful, safe day out there everyone.

2008-03-19 12:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm headed to Salt Lake city tomorrow through Saturday night.  won't be on BT until I return.  I should return with all the additional knowledge I need to be a USAT certified coach.  (I think we have a take home test that we have to complete and send back within 6 weeks as apposed to an immediate certification test)  anyway, train hard and we'll talk to you guys then.
2008-03-19 6:18 AM

User image

Malaysia
That sounds like a lot of fun, Ken! Sandi, at least yuo'll get to re-arrange the furniture

Amy, i know how you feel, hope you've already got your bike back. The clipless should be lotsa fun to use.

I just got back from a quick run. Got a dinner to attend later, luckily work finished early, manage to slot a run in.

2008-03-19 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA

Hi All!  Greetings from Washington D.C. (or close to it).

Where is John?????

Sandi, how is your first week back?  You're more than halfway through

Amy, I'm sorry to hear about your friends' mom.  Wow!  That is tough.  I'm dreading the day that I lose either of my parents.  As I get older, I realize that life is so short and to cherish the time we have together.  Did you get your bike back yet?

Wonder how Ken is doing???  Hopefully learning some new things for us

Mo, how are you?  You're doing great squeezing in those workouts whenever you can.  How's the gas tank today?  Full

I finally got out to get a little exercise this morning.  Ran for 30 minutes.  I'm visiting my grandmother who broke her hip three weeks ago.  She's in a retirement community and is currently staying in the health clinic until she can manage on her own again.  So, I'm staying in her apartment and working from there in between visits to customer sites in the area.  It's fun to be with her and she's actually doing pretty well.  She has all her mental faculties, which is a huge blessing!  Now, only if she would wear her hearing aids

Hope you all have a good Thursday!  Good night!

2008-03-20 7:09 AM
in reply to: #1281971

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Mornin' all.  Terry say hi to my sister for me!  She's in Fall's Church and works for the Fed in DC.  I haven't visited her there yet since she took this job.  I'm glad you're getting a little time in for you.  So good that your time with your grandmother right now is positive.

Amy, hope all's going well and that you've got your baby (bike) back.  The worst time I had to leave my bike was when I first got it... good time for the story, I guess! 

I actually won my bike at the post-race drawings at my very first triathlon!  I had ridden my broken-down old ten speed from high school with one functional gear and broken toe clips.  My friends were all on my case about getting a "real bike" .  I figured maybe I could spend a hundred bucks for a used one at the auction.  Well, I ended up spending more for pedals and shoes for this one than I would have dreamed of spending to buy a bike! 

The hard part was leaving it there until I could go to the shop for a fit.  My name was actually the second one drawn - the first person didn't show up when they called his name - so I was sooo paranoid that the other guy would show up to claim his bike!  Figured I'd show up at the shop and they'd say "You're who?  Bike?  What bike?"  Of course it all worked out, the shop folks were wonderful, and ... the rest is history.  I probably wouldn't have finished my oly last year after being sick if it weren't for that bike.  I still get a little panicky sometimes with close calls, because there's no way I could replace it if anything happened to it.  Hmm, maybe I should insure it?

Have a beautiful day, everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Axford's Group - closed and killin it!!! Rss Feed  

of 19