BT Development Mentor Program Archives » UltraIronJen's Club - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2007-12-30 9:58 PM

User image

Carnation, WA
Subject: UltraIronJen's Club - FULL
<p>Jennifer - UltraIron Jen </p><p>I'm a late blooming athlete and didn't get started doing anything physical until my early 30s. Since then I've done 2 Ironmans, 4 ultramarathons and a multitude of other races including sprints, olympics and marathons. </p><p>I've been happily married for over 11 years now. No kids but lots of pets to keep us company. </p><p>I'm training for a marathon in February, a 50k ultramarathon in April, Ironman Couer d'Alene in June and still deciding on a goal for the fall. I</p><p> completed Ironman USA - Lake Placid in 2005, Ironman Canada in 2006, 3 50k Ultramarathons and a 50 mile ultramarathon. </p><p>I've struggled quite a bit with my weight over the last several years. At one point I was medically obese and went on a program though my local gym. I lost 43 lbs and kept that off for about a year and a half. The weight slowly came back on until I'd gained half of that back. I went back into the program and have since lost 20 lbs, 7 pounds to my final goal. </p><p>I've been interested in a mentoring program for a while now. I think being a late bloomer who has dealt with weight issues makes me like many new triathletes. I love the sport, I love what its done for me and really want to help others do things they weren't sure they could do. For me, the challenge is to see how far I can push myself and I'm interested in helping other athletes explore their own boundries. <br /></p>

Edited by UltraIronJen 2008-01-07 4:07 PM

2008-01-06 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1123569

User image

Kansas
Subject: RE: UltraIronJen's Club open for business

Teresa - Big Mama

Hope your group is still open...I wasn't sure if it was closed or not, but here goes!  I will be turning 50 this spring and in honor of that I want to do something "special".  I decided I wanted to do a sprint tri in June.  I, too, have struggled with my weight.  I am only 5' tall so it doesn't take much for me to have a "weight issue".  I have been a very active person until four years ago when I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.  Although it does not stop me it does give me fits every once in awhile, but I have the okay from my doc to do this. I am looking to lose about 25 pounds training for this and will probably need the most encouragement and advise in that area!

I have been riding a bike for over two years and don't have a problem with that.  I can ride 25 miles, no sweat.  I've never been a runner, so I am starting from scratch there.  I have been a good swimmer in the past, but know that there tricks to doing it right, so I will be starting some private swim lessons at the Y so I'm not trying to teach myself.  Swimming in a lake certainly will be a challenge, but I'm not afraid to do it.  

I had tried to do this last spring, but circumstances prevented me from being ready when the spring tri was happening here.  So, I decided to wait til this year...and my birthday.  

I have a very loving, supportive husband of 21 years who just got back from France where he biked several stages of the Tour de France and three daughters, all very physically active and very encouraging.  And I've got a group of gals who have been best friends forever and they, too, are going to be standing by me helping me. One likes to drag me to the Y, two of them are dragging me to the Y and another one lets me swim in her pool.   So, I guess my first question is, what do I do?

2008-01-06 5:47 PM

User image

Ohio
Hi Jennifer,

I would love to get into this mentoring group. I can totally relate to battling weight issues and being a late bloomer when it comes to anything athletic.

Here's a little about me... I am 32 and have been married 12 years, producing two lovely kids, ages seven and three, and two ornery dogs. Last year on my birthday in April I decided to take up running, using the couch potato to 5K plan. I completed four 5Ks last year with my goal being to never walk and to break 30 minutes. I never walked and I finally broke the 30 minute goal on my last 5k, with the time of 29:00 even.

In September I was up to running 4.5 miles, biking 13 miles, and swimming over a mile when I injured my left foot. Good ol' plantar fasciitis. It was so painful that I couldn't even use my foot to kick during swimming. It took about two months to heal and all of that hard work went down the drain, along with me eating everything that wasn't nailed down during the holidays. I started back yesterday starting with week four of the couch potato to 5K plan, biked 4.6 miles, and today swam 1/4 mile with breaks. I was exhausted after the swim.

My goal is to lose 20-30 lbs and to complete a sprint triathlon April 19, exactly 365 since I took up running. What a way to celebrate my 33rd birthday! The triathlon I found starts in a pool and I thought that would be a great start since I feel swimming is my weakness. That's it in a nutshell!

Amy

Edited by 1sttrimomma 2008-01-06 5:49 PM
2008-01-06 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Hello! I would like to sign up if there is still room! I have completed one sprint triathlon and I am about to start training for an olympic distance. I am terrified but it is really something that I want to do!! I would love support and help in reaching this goal.

Lisa
2008-01-07 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1137501

User image

Carnation, WA
Hi ladies -

I'm still open for business. I'll keep the group at 5 for now. If we want we can add a few more in another week or so.

It sounds like we have a good group of women who are at the same place in experience and training.

I'll give us a couple more days to see if anyone else cares to join up then we can officially get started. In the meantime feel free to chat amongst yourselves.

2008-01-07 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1139221

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

I'll add to the group and be the 4th "mama" here.  My name is Cathleen, and am 37 years old.  I started training 3 years ago only to get pregant and have baby #3... last year was my first official season!  I battled breathing issues all season (lovely living in Houston TX) and had to cancel 2 races due to health/breathing issues but was able to get a sprint and a Spr/Oly race in.  This year I am registered for the same sprint race as last year and hope to improve my time - not to mention learn how to use my gears correctly.

I have been married for 8 years, have 3 children 8, 7 and 2 years old...  No fear of swimming although I want to learn how to open water sight swim.  Biking no problem I just need to learn how to use my gears - I don't get on my bike often due to 3 children and a husband who is NEVER home - so the spinner is my training partner... but running well, I can do it - I just don't enjoy it.  "Slow and steady wins the race" has been my motto but I'm tired of being slow and want to work on pace. 

FOOD is my passion - hence my slow pace.  I've re-started WW and hope to drop 25lbs by my race in May.  My ultimate goal is to no longer be an Athena by my A race in October... that'll be almost 40 lbs lost (WOW did I actually just type my weight out).  Again my motto of slow and steady wins the race will also help me in the weight loss area.

Look forward to getting to know all you ladies!

Edited by houston-tri-mama 2008-01-07 2:06 PM

2008-01-07 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1137480

User image

Master
Amy, I had trouble viewing your logs - are they set for private viewing?
2008-01-07 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1137480

User image

Hi Jennifer,
I don't know if there's room for one more....?
It sounds like I have some things in common with a number of group members - but I'm definitely behind the curve as far as experience. I'm a true Tri newbie- motivated to do my first Sprint in August '08.
I'm 37 and used to be an avid runner but broke my leg badly skiing in December '04, gained a lot of weight and have been pretty much a couch potato since then. I joined Weight Watchers in October and have lost @ 12 lbs, hoping to lose another 20 over the next months. I've been walking/jogging & weight training for a few months now and plan to slowly but surely add in a swimming a biking regimen. I'd like to be as safe and careful as possible while also kicking !
Let me know if there's room or if you think another group might be more appropriate.
Thanks!
Nellie
2008-01-07 3:26 PM

User image

Ohio
We have our five! Hello Teresa, Lisa, Cathleen, and Nellie!

Cathleen~I'm no longer private and my logs are available for your viewing pleasure. This, I must say, is big considering I don't even tell my husband what I weigh, but I figure we're all in this together and it will also hold me accountable.

Does anyone know how to shrink a picture small enough to add it under my name in the left column?

Looking forward to chatting with all of you...

Amy
2008-01-07 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1139736

User image

Master

oh oh oh.... I know this (from the complete illiteral computer person) learned in my last mentor group.  copy picture to "paint" (i found paint in my asseccories file)  and reduce there to about 50-40% re-save and post  here!

Edited by houston-tri-mama 2008-01-07 3:39 PM
2008-01-07 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: UltraIronJen's Club - FULL

tesera, where in kansas do you live?  i lived in Kansas for 5 years when my husnad was stationed at Fort Riley.  I enjoyed living there.

2008-01-07 4:22 PM

User image

Carnation, WA

Hey ladies -

Looks like we got a great group!  I'm glad to see there are moms on here that can help each other manage family and training obligations. I can certainly help with general time management but since I have dogs and cats I am not the best source of advice on how to handle a 5 year old trying to poke you in the eye while you are trying to do your sit-ups.

My first advice for the group: Start training your weakness now.

For some of you, running is where you feel you need the most work. This doesn't mean you are feel strong on swimming and biking, rather you worry the most about the run.  Working through the hard part is what helps you boost your confidence for tackling everything else.  What you do in one leg affects the rest of them. If your weak becomes strong, all 3 will be stronger.

Let's get started by identifying a goal for that weak leg. To continue the running example, "I'm going to run an entire mile without stopping." Setting small goals breaks the big goal of a target race feel manageable. If we only focus on the big event it can be hard to just get started.

When I decided to train for my first Ironman I set shorter steps for my goals because focusing on the Ironman itself was too overwhelming. For example, the bike is my weakest link so I had to really focus on setting mileage goals. Do 20 miles, then 40, etc. For the run, I started by feeling comfortable doing a half marathon, then on to a marathon. For the swim I did it by time. Twenty minutes consecutive, 45 minutes, an hour, an hour and a half, then on to open water.  The last step was to put them all together. If I could do each one, then I was able to do them altogether.

So, what is your first goal?

2008-01-07 4:26 PM

User image

Hi Everyone!
I'm really excited to be a part of the group. I live in Baltimore, MD and am deciding between the Northeast MD Sprint Triathalon on Aug 17 or the Ryka IronGirl Sprint on Aug 24 as my very first Triathalon. I think having a good support network will be invaluable. My sister has tentatively signed on to be a training partner - though we will not likely be able to exercise much together as our schedules are not compatible and I have my doubts about her commitment (heck, I have my doubts about mine! That's why I need all the help I can get.)
Like Teresa, I'm short (5'1") and would like to lose some weight - I did some jogging this a.m. and took note of how much harder it is when I'm heavier. Really, though, the weight is incidental - I just want to be fit again and have a good outlet for stress relief.
I looking forward to getting to know everyone a little better.
Nellie
2008-01-07 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1139781

User image

Kansas
Cathleen, I live in Topeka.  We've been here about seven years.  Are you guys still military or is your husband retired?  
2008-01-07 5:50 PM

User image

Kansas

I'm very excited about this group.  I think it's going to help me tremendously!  I registered yesterday for the Topeka Tinman Sprint Tri and I'm full of nerves, fear and excitment....actually signing up was pretty fun.  My husband is majorly jazzed about the whole thing and can hardly wait for me to actually do this!  He signed up for the Triple Bypass Bike Ride in Colorado in July so we are working on goals together.

Jen, you said something about training to our weakness.  Well, mine is the running, but I am finding myself getting really nervous about swimming.  I'm going to go get a new suit tomorrow...I'm not happy at the size I have to buy!  And I know it's silly, but I'm so nervous about going to the pool looking like such a cow!  Any suggestions for getting up the nerve to actually show up at the pool and not feeling self-conscious? 

2008-01-07 5:52 PM
in reply to: #1140066

User image

Master

we're out... not retired (he has 12 years with his enlisted time) but finished with his committment.  he was an officer so after his initial 5 years he had 3 years of IRR which we were just removed from last May!  Praise God Allah or whomever you want, I'm just glad the service is up.

We liked Topeka... still get the annual Zoo membership -  Found memories in Kansas

2008-01-07 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1140093

User image

Carnation, WA
Big Mama - 2008-01-07 3:50 PM

Jen, you said something about training to our weakness.  Well, mine is the running, but I am finding myself getting really nervous about swimming.  I'm going to go get a new suit tomorrow...I'm not happy at the size I have to buy!  And I know it's silly, but I'm so nervous about going to the pool looking like such a cow!  Any suggestions for getting up the nerve to actually show up at the pool and not feeling self-conscious? 

For not feeling self conscious - You are setting yourself a goal of doing something many of your friends, neighbors and other people in the pool have never done, a triathlon. Be empowered by your courage to take on the challenge.  Screw all the skinny girls...they have nothing on you. Stand at the end of the lane, look them all on the eye and jump in. 

2008-01-07 5:58 PM

User image

Master
Big Mama - 2008-01-07 5:50 PM

I'm very excited about this group.  I think it's going to help me tremendously!  I registered yesterday for the Topeka Tinman Sprint Tri and I'm full of nerves, fear and excitment....actually signing up was pretty fun.  My husband is majorly jazzed about the whole thing and can hardly wait for me to actually do this!  He signed up for the Triple Bypass Bike Ride in Colorado in July so we are working on goals together.

when is your TRI??  You might not even need one.  if water temp is above certain temp you're not even allowed to wear it (I think 76).  Given the winter though to date, it should still be USAT legal in June.Look upthe race here for others race Reports and see what they said about it last year...  Practice getting into and out wet suits - because races don't always have a stripper for you coming out of the water.  As was suggested to me - run around the back yard with hose being sprayed on you then work your transition to bike - remember you can't get naked at any point in transition - putting socks on while wet is very difficult and as I found out in my Spr/Oly last year my feet require socks for the bike run... oh the pain!

Tell me about size - had to buy new shorts today - not happy!!! 

Edited by houston-tri-mama 2008-01-07 5:59 PM
2008-01-08 7:13 AM

User image

Master

what is everyone's plan today???  off for a run and good stretch... my glutus maximus is very sore from yesterday's weight session so a good stretch is called for

2008-01-08 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1141142

User image

Carnation, WA

I have hill repeats on my schedule for today. I'll need to wear my trail runners because it is sloppy here today. Ugh, I hate running in the cold rain but when you live in the Northwest you don't have a choice!

Enjoy your workouts today!

2008-01-08 12:34 PM

User image

Kansas
I am going to be doing some Cyclo Core today...it's a core strength building program by Graeme Street. It's a killer, but it's really good because it builds your core like nothing else can and I know that my core is very weak and by getting it stronger it will help all three areas of the tri. 

2008-01-08 2:11 PM

User image

Hi all,
As per the question re: weakness - it's definitely the swimming. It's funny that you mentioned the swimsuit issue, Teresa, because as I got in the shower this morning I gave myself a reminder to buy a new swimsuit this weekend, then took a gander in the mirror and had the same anxiety about showing up at the pool (at a nearby university gym with young & fit college students, grumble grumble) looking like a big whale. Sigh. I know it doesn't matter and that I/we should focus on the positivesand the goals ahead, but sometimes it's a bit demoralizing. That said, I was psyched to read about everyone's plans for the day. I'll be biking and strength training.
Nellie
2008-01-08 2:47 PM

User image

Ohio
Hi all!

My #1 weakness is swimming but I think once I get back into shape, build some confidence, and stop swallowing the whole pool I'll be okay. Biking for me, comes in a close second. I just don't enjoy it, I think I'll enjoy swimming once I get the hang of it.

Today I rode the stationary bike eight miles at the Y and just walked a mile since I ran Sat and Mon. I have a fear of the plantar fascitiitis flairing up so I've been doing lots of stretching with every workout. I felt like I really rode hard today on the bike. I was def sweating and getting stares since my face gets beet red and I resemble someone ready to keel over with a heart attack when I workout. HA!

As for swimsuits, lol. I bought a new swimsuit, matching goggles and swimcap last week. I look like a navy blue bumble bee with backfat. I hate backfat!

Love everyones pictures, puts a face with a name. I finally figured out how to add my own, thanks Cathleen!

My goal is to swim three more times this week and to complete three complete laps without stopping. Right now I swin one length and am weak and out of breath. Are nose plugs really really uncool? Is it considered a crutch? I think they would do wonders for me, and as far as cool goes I'm sure the blue bumble bee doesn't look so hot either so I could totally complete the look with the plus. If they're not allowed I'll get used to it.

2008-01-08 5:02 PM

User image

Ohio
I read some of you are doing WW, how do you like it? Is anyone else following a diet? I'm trying to follow the six week body makeover but I feel like I'm starving. I've already fallen off the wagon three times this week, I think I need something else to follow. I think eating is one of my favorite things to do in life. Any suggestions?
2008-01-08 6:20 PM
in reply to: #1143481

User image

Carnation, WA

Hi ladies - I'm having a great time reading your posts! I got in my workout despite rain and cold. I finished up a few things for work, changed into my warm running gear and looked out the window to see hail! Argh. I gave it 10 minutes and it stopped. Until I got out there then it started again. Bleh. I rechecked my schedule and had intervals scheduled today: 90' - 10 x (3' hard w/2' easy). For those who don't read gibberish, my workout in real english was: 90 minute run. In those 90 minutes, I did 3 minutes all out hard followed by 2 minutes easy/rest. I did that 8 times. I was supposed to do 10. I only did 8 because I had salsa for lunch and boy did I regret that! I did 2 mile warm-up and 2 mile cool-down for a total of 8 miles. Wow, I'm tired! Oprah and a cup of hot cocoa are good for recovery.

Edited by UltraIronJen 2008-01-08 6:36 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » UltraIronJen's Club - FULL Rss Feed  

of 7