Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-02-20 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1219539

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: RE: UltraIronJen's Club - FULL

Jen, great RR.  I'm sure the views alone were worth the chills and shivers.  Good job and congratulations!  I'm sure that the stress of your pending marathon also contributed with the inability to sleep.  How have you been sleepin since then?  Rest and drinks lots this week.  Your body deserves some TLC!

I've been a bit off lately.  Just too much happening and I always find some reason not to run or swim.  I wish we had a trainer in the house - would be easy to hop on it at night - maybe with tax refund but who knows.  I am curretnly planning our elementary school's carnival and that has been very stressful trying to meet all those demands.  I'm also the girl scout troop cookie mom and cookies came in saturday... I finally have room for my van in the garage, despite 50 cases of cookeis in there....  Anyone want cookies?

I really just need to give my mornings to training and let the afternoon nap time be my planing time - but it doesn't always work that way. other then that - I'm  trying to figure a way for the kids and I to get out of Texas and someplace cool for the summer... Any suggestions? 

So that's what is up in the HTM house this week.... off for a bike/run brinck in the morning... clothing and gym bag is all set and I have nothing scheduled all morning!  Have a good one.

2008-02-21 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1123569

User image

It sounds like everyone is really trucking along. I've been having difficulty staying focused - ill last week, out of town for the long weekend and just haven't gotten back on track.
Any advice?
Nellie
2008-02-21 1:23 PM

User image

Kansas

Nellie, I'm not sure that I have all the answers on motivation and stuff like that, but I do know that it's been particularly hard this winter for me mainly because of the weather and being sick.  There really isn't a lot you can do about that, but I know that Jen's idea of riding the bike indoors while watching TV and change things up during commercials was a great idea.  And maybe just trying different things like that will help you find the thing that makes it work for you.  

I would just encourage you to NOT get discouraged.  I have to keep reminding myself that of all my close friends, I'm the only one doing this.  Yeah, some of them are working out, trying to be "healthy" and that's good, but there aren't very many people that are stepping out of their comfort zones to go swim and bike and run all at the same race.  You are doing something that a small percentage of people are doing. Even though sometimes it seems like there are a lot of us when you get on websites like this and stuff, but the reality is, we are a minority of people.  You are shooting for something that is stretching you and forcing you to become better and it's not always easy...if it was, there would be boat loads of us doing this.  So, don't beat yourself up.  Just start today. And do something.  No matter what it is and keep at it.  You'll get back into the swing of it...just don't quit.  We may never get to where UltraIron Jen is (altho it would be cool) but we can be pretty incredible ourselves!   

2008-02-21 4:15 PM

User image

Master

I'm buying a spinner from our Y this week!!!  YEAH - i'll be able to hop on it whenever i need to - will be so nice especially when the kids are sick I can run on treadmill and bike on spinner and not loose a week of training while kids are sick...

Looking forward to this purchase.

2008-02-21 5:05 PM

User image

Carnation, WA

Sleeping much better since the race.  Marathons are good for the sleep cycle :-)

I'm still in recovery. I haven't done anything but tonight I'll hop in the trainer for 45 minutes then get an easy stretch.  I'm meeting with my personal trainer tomorrow and I should be back to my old self by then.

Motivation is a tough one.  Sometimes I tell myself that I don't have to be on the trainer for all 2 hours, just get in for 30 mintues. Once I'm there I can usually do the full workout.  I do the same thing with running. Commit to 20 minutes and usually I can do the full hour.  The toughest part is getting out the door. Another trick I've used when really bad off is putting out my workout clothes on the bed so when I come home from work I put them on right away.  This way if I don't go I'll feel silly sitting around in my bike shorts watching TV. 

I've bought my tickets and reserved the car for my tri camp in Maui in 2 weeks.  Also signed up for a half Ironman in Boise first weekend in June. The season is coming together.

Doing the stuff I do is easy for me because I don't have kids. When you are a mom, doing endurance sports is a whole different ballgame.  I am always surprised when I find someone who can have kids and do IM but usually that is a guy.  It is even more unusual to find the woman doing it.  Double standard, as usual. Easier for the guy to take time away from the family than it is for the woman.  I'm fortunate to have a hubby who thinks what I'm doing is really cool and never gives me a hard time unless he starts to miss me. He just got the new Harley so I'm sure he'll be well occupied this summer and won't miss me at all :-)

Everyone have a great weekend training. The sun is shining here and I'm getting spring fever!

2008-02-22 6:32 PM

User image

Ohio
Hi All~

I've been having a rough time getting the triathlon training in. Lot's of excuses and reasons, the two biggest being going back to work part-time and a round of various illness going through our house as well.

My goal is still to complete my first sprint triathlon April 19, eight weeks from now. I feel like it's do-able. Am I nuts?

Went to the Y yesterday and felt very gung-ho. Going to make it my mission to make training my #1 goal during the week besides taking care of the kids. Yesterday my friend said WE couldn't do the triathlon April 19 and it made me all the more determined. We may not be able to do it but I feel like I can do it. Eight weeks and counting...

Jen, great race report!

2008-02-22 10:21 PM

User image

Carnation, WA

I'm the worst person to ask if something is possible because I always say "Yes!"  Doesn't matter whether it is or not, I always say "Yes!"

But, this time I really mean it.  Yes, it is possible to do a sprint in April, just get to work, no more excuses. Gir 'er done!

If it helps, force yourself to check in with this board every day and either tell us about your workout or find a good excuse that none of us have ever heard for not getting it done.  Every night, before bed, post. We can help you find ways to fit in a workout.  Everyone, except me, has kids and can be a good resource for you.  I'll just be the drill sargent :-)

Everyone should use this board as your accountability for getting your training done. I promise to check in every night and make sure you are doing your workouts and if not, we'll figure out how to fit in a make-up workout. 

I've got a 3 hour ride on my schedule tomorrow and I'm still dragging from the marathon last Sunday but I'll get it done. Having you're drill sargent skip her workouts ain't cool :-)

Talk to you tomorrow!

2008-02-23 7:57 AM

User image

Ohio
Alrighty, I'm motivated!!

Going to the Y right now in a level 2 snow advisory (which really is no big deal). I'll log in my time on my training log when I get back.

How is everyone else doing?
2008-02-23 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1229917

User image

Master

1sttrimomma - 2008-02-22 6:32  My goal is still to complete my first sprint triathlon April 19, eight weeks from now. I feel like it's do-able. Am I nuts?

Amy you have 8 weeks - make it a point to do something everyday.  It is possible.  Will you set any race record? probably not BUT YOU WILL HAVE DONE A TRIATHLON!  How many people can say they did thAT - not many.  The sport may look to be popular but in reality it is a small community. 

Friends will say "oh I couldn't do this or that"... DO NOT  let them affect your mental training!  Preparing for a TRI is also mental training... Keep telling yourself I will complete and I will finish this TRI!  First with each stroke, then with each petal then one foot after another.....  Just because they couldn't do it - doesn't mean YOU WILL DO IT!  Be positive and get out.  Take care not to injure yourself with over training and you'll be fine.  You'll cross that finish line and become a TRIATHLETE!

With all that pumping up - semi training day here.  Cesar is at school and we have 200 girl scout cookie boxes to deliver.... I ran chasing Izzy around soccer field though while eldest 2 had games... just did have sports bra so the bouncing got in the way.  Tonight if Cesar gets home from school at decent hour I'll hop on treadmill for the "real" run I'm scheduled for.

Cathleen

2008-02-23 12:52 PM

User image

Kansas

I am out of town visiting my grandkids today and tomorrow so I will probably only get in a run since I didn't bring my bike.  It's pretty cold here, but I brought all the warm gear I need to run.  I think I'm finally starting to feel better from all the "infections" I have so I'm hoping this next week I'll be back at it full strength.  Have swim training planned in a couple of weeks with a new tri club that's started up in Topeka, so I'm excited about that.

I will be glad when the weather warms up a little, though.  It will make it easier for me to get outside and exercise.  I like that so much better, but I think Jen is right we need to post every day and keep ourselves accountable.  As for doing a tri in 8 weeks..there is a book out there that has a schedule for you to do just that.  It's back at home so when I get there I'll be sure and let you know what it is.  It might help some. 

2008-02-23 1:07 PM

User image

Carnation, WA

You go girls!

I might swap my bike and run this weekend. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer and 3 hours on the bike sounds pretty nice in sunny, mid-50's weather.  Today I'm going to do a one hour trail run in my favorite park.  Hopefully my leggies are up for it!

Drop a line tonight and let me know how ya'll did.

2008-02-23 11:53 PM

User image

Carnation, WA

I got my 1 hour run in today and will ride tomorow.  Beautiful day. Mid 50's and not a cloud in the sky. I might get spring fever if I'm not careful.

How did everyone else's day go?

2008-02-24 7:35 PM

User image

Master

I got a 30 minute run in tonight... during the dinner hour and before the bedtime rush....  Wanted some more but had to stop due to time constraints of family.

It is very differicult scheduling time to train with a family.... My husband doesn't get it.  Guess he thinks I sit around all day eating cookies and watching Days of our lives... shhhh don't tell him it's partially true I watch 2x a week (it's nap time so that's allowed).... but I have so much to get done in he day he just doesn't get to see it all.

Hope everyone gets off to a good Monday morning Start!

2008-02-24 8:31 PM

User image

Ohio
I ran and swam today, good to have my old perfume Chlorine no. 9 back!

Thanks for all the encouraging words, I needed it! I'm back in the saddle, again...
2008-02-24 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1232820

User image

Carnation, WA

You ladies did better than I did. I woke up feeling like a tank had driven over me in my sleep.  Super tired still and fighting off the flu my hubby had last week.  Took today as a rest day and will get my bike packed up tonight for my ride tomorrow. I'm not working much right now so I can do it mid-day when it will be in the mid-50s and sunny.

Gotta get this ride in to get ready for tri camp in 2 weeks.  This one is a test of my commitment to IM as I hate riding alone and I have to do my first long ride. Blech. Not my favorite of the 3 but this year was about getting past that so I better suck it up and do it. No more excuses.

See, we all have a hard time staying on track. But, we find our own reasons to keep going. Good on ya'll for getting it done this weekend.

I'll tell you all about my ride tomorrow.

2008-02-25 6:50 AM

User image

Master
I'm off to the Y for my swim class.  i moved up a lane on Friday - let's hope I can hang today also with this distance 1.5+ miles.  Then I back home and back into planning this carnival for school. 

2008-02-25 11:19 AM

User image

Thanks for all the good advice re: motivation. Just reading what you said has me pumped up.
I've had some lingering flu symptoms but am feeling much better. Actually Jen, I don't have any children either- so I have fewer excuses myself though I like to blame my job for stuff because I feel like I live at the office
Weight Watchers meeting tonight - so I'll probably walk/jog to and from the meeting which is @ 2.5 miles away.
Have a great day, everyone!
Nellie
2008-02-25 11:38 AM

User image

Kansas

Got out and ran today before the snow comes again...I'm thinking about moving to Texas!  But, I felt pretty good.  Still trying to figure out this new way of running to keep my hip from hurting, but it's kind of hard to concentrate on it.  My hip feels great right now, though, so I'm happy.  I am planning on swimming tomorrow at the Y with some strength training afterwards.  My weight is coming off pretty quickly and I'm thrilled.  This morning I weighed in at 132 lbs. so since January I've lost 18 pounds.  I'm hoping the weather starts to warm up and I can get outside on my bike more so I can lose the last few pounds I've got left.  They are always the hardest, you know. Found out over the weekend that my second oldest is probably going to get married in May (yes, and I can't believe it's that quick) so I've got a wedding between now and my triathlon.  That should be fun.  This will be our second one and trust me, I think the triathlon will be easier!    It can be an emotional roller coaster and I really don't want that to mess with my training.  But, at least I'll look hot in my dress, right??

2008-02-25 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1233882

User image

Master
Big Mama - 2008-02-25 11:38 AM

I'm thinking about moving to Texas!  

NOOOOOO do not move to Texas - you'll only have other health problems develop as the air quality stinks!!!!

Got my swim in.... moved up a lane so i'm doing 2400-2700yards 3x a week now... my arms are aching from it and I'm starving!

2008-02-27 11:36 AM

User image

Holy Crap, Teresa. That's a lot of weight. Good for you!
I've been frustrated with my slooooooow weight loss, but getting back into training more consistently will defintely help. You're my inspiration!
I did reach a milestone this morning though - weighed in at 129.......first time in a while that I've been in the 120's. Yippee.

Nellie
2008-02-27 4:41 PM

User image

Carnation, WA

That is really great yardage! You are going to be happy you put it in come your first race.

I put on a couple pounds before my m'thon and can't seem to shake it. Darn it. 

I'm wrestling with a knee problem right now that is putting me on the disabled list for a couple days. I'm hitting the pool tonight but otherwise I'm on the couch with ice and ibuprofin. Blech.

Keep up the good work, ladies.

2008-02-28 9:00 AM

User image

Kansas

Just as I thought I was doing great....I got slammed with the intestinal bug.  I've got it coming out both ends now for two days and I am going crazy!  This morning I actually felt good enough to sit up in bed so decided I'd venture to the computer to check in on the world.  I don't know how long this junk has lasted with others, but it's going to take a week of slow training once I get better to get back into the swing again.  Dang it!  I have never in my life had a winter of illness like this.  It's very frustrating. I do not like to be "behind" on my training schedule.

There is a triathlon book by Eric Karr (I think I've got the last name right) that has a training program in it to be ready to do a sprint tri in six weeks.  I have not tried his program, but apparently several people have used it.  Thought I'd throw that out.  Well, that's about as much time as I can stand to sit up, so I'm going back to bed gals.  

2008-02-28 8:55 PM

User image

Master

took today as a recovery day.  I've been working hard for the week andbody said - "I need rest" so I listened.  Back to pool tomorrow for another swim workout.

My spin bike is now in my home!  will be able to hop on that whnever i need to.... will be very nice having it.  Now we need a flat screen tv by treadmill and spinner and I'm set!

Teresa, feel better soon!

Edited by houston-tri-mama 2008-02-28 8:56 PM
2008-02-28 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1242795

User image

Carnation, WA

I imagine it wouldn't be hard to convince members of your household that you need a new big tv for your bike trainer. You might even be allowed to have the spinner in the living room!

I had a wicked swim last night. I did some great stuff including ab work while my lane partner swam 50y, then swapped and she did abs while I did my 50y.  My swim coach is a young kid who gets a kick out of beating us up.  As of Sunday he is 22 years younger than me as I turn the big 39.  Scary to think I could be this kid's mother.

I took a rest day today to get my knee rested and ready to go again. I've got an ice pack on it right now. Tomorrow will be another swim then this weekend is run and bike.

My bike is at the shop getting a full tune-up for camp in the 8th.  I'll be putting in a couple hundred miles that week so she needed to get cleaned and tightened. The PowerTap I ordered has arrived and I need to get it built into my wheel.  If you don't know about PowerTap, it is a powermeter that measures how many watts I'm putting out when I cycle.  It allows me to focus in on my training and when I'm on my trainer I can target specific wattages.  It is parallel to knowing your heart rate.  It also does the standard speed and distance.  Not cheap but when you step up to the next level in racing it is a good thing to have.

I'll check in again tomorrow.

2008-02-29 6:35 PM

User image

Master

Got my swim in this morning... moving up that lane might kill me yet!  breathing issues... I shouldn't be having breathing issues int eh pool but I am.  Go figure...

Off for a long morning of cookie selling at supermarket (Girl Scouts) then hoping to try out the spinner in the afternoon!  Maybe even go shopping for that TV.... who knows.

Have a good one!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » UltraIronJen's Club - FULL Rss Feed  

of 7