User image

Carnation, WA
Subject: RE: UltraIronJen's Club - FULL

Hi girls -

Hit the pool tonight. My workout looked like this:

6 x 75 (50s, 25k)
3{3 x 200( 1. Race Pace 2. Pull 3. n/s)}
200 cooldown
I'm darn tired. I need to start getting to the pool more often!  I did a mellow 60 minute spin. I got my bike tuned up for camp it she runs super smooth.  I'm hoping to get outside for a ride this weekend but it is going to rain so it probably isn't going to happen.
I hope you all have a good weekend and get your training done!

2008-03-04 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1123569

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

Hi ladies,

had an exhausting weekend of girl scout cookie sales, kids running around and then a day trip to San Antonio.... long weekend! 

Woke yesterday and needed to clean my home!  it has been neglected for many weeks and it needed a scrubbing.  But half way thru cleaning (which included cleaning due to windows being open and pollen blowing in) I broke into hives....  Massive itchy hives!  the sweating while cleaning did nothing to help the itch.  So last night i wake at 3am and I am itching!  i have 20+ hives all over and I'm going crazy.  I took benedryl and my allergy meds but I still am being driven crazy.  sweating and training with hives isn't pleasant so I'm hoping that they go away soon and I'll try the spinner out during nap time....

That's life here in houston... As most of you are coming our of winter hybernation - I'm starting my spring/summer hybernation in houston due to pollen and heat/humidity!

2008-03-05 6:49 AM

User image

Master

Hives yesterday finally went away around lunch time - but by then I needed to work on my projects but I did hop on the spinner after dinner and get an hour ride in.  Today no hives (knock on wood) and I am off tot he Y for an hour of swimming.  It's the Y's fundraiser day and you swima nd swim for 1 hour non-stop and see how far you go.  I didn't get sponsors - so I'll just donate a few bucks.

The spinner I think is going to work out wonderful.  I recorded a few shows, planning for the time I'd get on and it was nice to just spin away and watch shows... I'm going to enjoy having it.

2008-03-07 12:30 PM

User image

Ohio
Hi all! How's everyone feeling? This has been a bad flu season. I was excited to learn the sprint tri swim is only eight laps, not 16, which is what I originally thought. I was so excited about it that I couldn't sleep the other night.

Haven't been able to workout much this week, hubby has been out of town, started my new job, etc. Now we're getting the start of a projected 14 inches of snow with high winds. WOO HOO! Next week should be a great workout week, I hope!
2008-03-08 9:44 PM

User image

Kansas

Boy, I feel like I have been out of commission for way too long!  I got the intestinal bug thing that messed me up royally.  So, I think I can now safely go to the pool!    Have a swim class tomorrow afternoon and I can hardly wait.  Then I need to get myself back into training religiously.  I'm starting to get a little nervous that I won't be ready in June.  Probably just getting myself psyched out a little bit.  The weather is supposed to improve a ton here, too.  It's been in the teens all this past week, but this next week we'll see 60 degrees.  I can't wait! I want to ride my bike outside so bad.  And to be able to run without snow and mud will be a huge improvement, too.  Keep after me gals....ask me every day what I did for training.  I do not want to be a slacker so don't let me off the hook, okay?

2008-03-09 10:10 PM

User image

Kansas
Got to the pool today for swim class.  It was great.  I learned a lot from the instructor about my kick and some new things I need to work on with my stroke.  I definitely need to do a lot more work in the pool...I got pretty pooped...but there were a couple of other gals there who are more experienced at tris and I couldn't help it, but I was just swimming faster than they were.  I was shocked!  Hopefully I can actually keep it up.   After my swim I got on my bike and rode for six miles.  Wasn't my greatest ride, but I haven't been out on the bike for so long I knew it wouldn't be my best.  It sure was awesome to be outside in 60 degree weather with the sun shining.  We haven't had that kind of weather here in so long!  Yeah!  Tomorrow I am going to do my run later in the afternoon after it warms up some.  The rest of the week is supposed to be warm and sunny so it will be easier to get myself out the door and run and bike.  I need to sit down and work out my swimming for the rest of the week.  Have a few things to do that the instructor suggested so I'm going to get it written down so I have a plan and don't just go to the pool without one.  Well, I'm tired and ready for bed.  I should sleep really good tonight!

2008-03-10 6:16 PM

User image

Kansas
Ran/walked for 3.5 miles today.  My friend pushed me pretty hard.  I didn't like it too much, but I did it! Tried to focus on my form and relaxing my shoulders and lower legs more.  That really did help.  I think I'm getting shin splints, though, which drives me crazy. I know I'll get better and will actually enjoy running, but it's gonna take awhile.  All I want to do right now is soak in the jacuzzi and go to bed! 
2008-03-11 8:40 AM

User image

Master

I took yesterday off - unplanned and unwanted but I felt like crap!  Every month it seems my cramps get worse and worse not to mention all the "other" side effects of being a women... lucky us for being a woman.  I feel better today and plan a spin tonight.  This is my last week to organize for my carnival for the school so I'm spending more time this week gathering as much as possible as next week is Spring break and I'll be heading to the Y most everyday for fun for the kids....

Good run yesterday teresa, but watch out for shin splints... ice them dow and be careful.  they can side line for a long time.  I've read they can eb caused by either shoes or improper form running... might want to check into tht.

2008-03-11 7:02 PM

User image

Kansas
Planned on biking today, but I unfortunately had so many things to do it didn't happen.  I went from one appt to meeting to appt all day long.  Picked up my 13 year old from track practice and she was not feeling too good so I got her home, fed her and myself and then the sun was gone. No biking.  Probably okay, though.  I'm going to swim and bike tomorrow.  Have a new pair of running shoes that I will try out on Thursday to see if that helps the shin splints I'm afraid are trying to bug me.  Went to my favorite running store and got on the treadmill and took some pics of my running to see what the deal is.  I'm not running wrong, so it's gotta be the shoes.  We'll see what happens.  How's everyone else doing?  The weather here is getting absolutely gorgeous so I'm assuming the rest of the world is getting better, too!
2008-03-12 11:05 AM

User image

Kansas
The sun was beaming this morning, there were tons of birds chirping, not a shred of wind...I couldn't stay off my bike if I wanted to! I didn't have a lot of time this morning but figured if I got out there for even half an hour that I'd be glad I did.  Particularly with my busy days coming up I don't want to wait til later in the day and then not get it in.  It was awesome. I had a great time.  I have never been really fast on my bike.  I can ride and ride and ride forever, but I have never had a lot of speed.  So, I pushed myself like crazy today.  It may not be a big deal to you gals, but I went 13.5 mph today which is only like the second time I've ever done that!   My goal is to be consistently riding 15 to 16 mph by the tri so I can ride the bike section in the time I want to. I have to really work on some hills, too, which I absolutely hate, but I'm gonna learn to love, right? Losing the weight I have I is making a difference too.  It's nice to not carry a couple sacks of potatoes around with me (which is the equivalent of weight I've lost) when I'm on that bike. I plan on getting to the Y to swim today. I am going to time my 25's and see just how fast I am actually swimming. That last swim class we had really helped and I am so much more excited to get out and practice the drills I learned. What is everyone doing? Are you guys still sick? Keep telling me what you're doing so I am not tempted to skip a day that I shouldn't. I get really motivated (and my competitive streak comes out, too) when I read about all the stuff you guys are doing!
2008-03-12 2:36 PM

User image

Kansas
Just got home from swimming. I was not good at all.  There was a guy older than dirt in the lane next to me and he just kept going and going and going.  I don't think he stopped the entire time I was there and I would swim 25 and stop for 30 seconds, swim 25, stop for 30 seconds.  He made me look like a weenie! So, on my last 25 back before I was done, I waited for him.  He came down the lane, touched the side and headed back, just had the most relaxed long stroke and I decided right then and there that I was going to beat him.  I know, I'm crazy, but I decided to just give it all I had and pretend like it was the race of the day! I told myself to focus on relaxing and staying in form...I'm sure it was hilarious if anyone was truly paying any attention!  And he had a head start, too! But, we touched the other side at the same time. I thought I'd won a medal or something. I am trusting that as I keep doing this that I'll be able to actually swim 300 yards without stopping....or getting the urge to beat some old dude!  

2008-03-13 8:52 PM

User image

Master

I got a brick in tonight... strong cadence on spinner and slow run getting legs used to running.  With having the spinner in the house I've ignored the dreadmill - gotta stop that and get a few runs in each week.  Need to get some new shoes this weekend also and get them broken into before the May race....

Ladies, it's been a tough week.  My son Thomas is close to being diagonosised in the Austism spectrum with PDD or Asperger's.... it's not too surprising but still hear it out loud from a professional it does sting.  I've been trying to figure out what to do with him and the school and his education and it's such a difficult process....  There are some wonderful people here on BT who have so much experience to offer me and I am gladly accepting their words of wisdom from people who have been there done that to those who are in the schools and even some who are child advocates....  I'm very lucky to have BT as more then just a TRI resource.

In the coming weeks/months my training is going to be my vent of frustration and anger... if I can't cry from life frustration I'll cry from the pain of a brick (LOL)... Thanks for reading - life certainly throws curves at us and the best we can do for our children and ourselves is to educate ourselves.

Cathleen

2008-03-13 11:27 PM

User image

Kansas
Cathleen, Thanks for sharing about your son and what's going on right now. I'm glad you've found support to help you with the situation. Sometimes that's the one thing that can keep you going when nothing else will.  
2008-03-14 9:54 AM

User image

Hi everyone,
Ok, I'll admit it - I need some serious help with motivation and getting back on track. I have essentially stopped exercising since I was sick a few weeks ago and though I'm tempted to claim to have been "doing a little" - that would be a big fat lie. Does anybody have an advice?
I'm so reactive to stress (I'm in the process of buying a house, I'm having relationship problems, my pet was injured and needed expensive surgery, my job as Director of a program for children in psychiatric crisis is ridiculously stressful) and then it becomes a vicious cycle because when I'm super stressed, I sort of curl up in a ball and avoid activity when activity would probably help with high stress levels. Sigh. I feel like such a loser.

Reading about what you guys have been doing is inspiring.....can anyone kick me in the butt?

Cathleen- thanks for telling us about Thomas. I'm sure he's an amazing little guy - one of my areas of specialty is working with kids whose diagnoses fall within the PDD Spectrum- particularly toward the Asperger's end - and they are truly a joy. I'm glad you've found some supports on BT and hopefully within your community too. I won't stick my nose in it but if you want to email individually I'm happy to weigh in.....the right school setting is so essential and battling with Child Study teams (or whatever they are called in your state), school systems that might not want to pay the additional expense for a highly specialized & structured classroom, ignorance, etc. can be exhausting. I'm sure you've already heard of people like Tony Atwood & Carol Gray - I like their work and find it really accessible.

Teresa- wow! It sounds like you are really cranking and enjoying yourself to boot! That's great.

Ok- back to work.
2008-03-14 2:51 PM

User image

Kansas

Read the post about the "not working out and not being motivated".  Hey, I was so there the past few weeks.  This week is really the first week I have actually felt well enough to actually "train' as opposed to hitting and missing.  I think when you're sick it's hard to get motivated to do anything let alone add swimming, biking or running into the mix! It was hard for me when I was sick because I, too, felt guilty that I wasn't doing what I should've or that I could've done more but was making excuses.  I just think this has been a really bad winter for illness.  Everyone has been sick longer and with more stuff, so for me I had to finally decide that it just didn't matter what I did or didn't do before.  I was just going to start all over again. 

We need to remind each other once in awhile that we are already light years ahead of so many other people who won't even consider tri let alone actually put themselves out there to train and do it. Don't be hard on yourself.  I know, I was doing that to myself and it made me feel like I should probably just quit and give up.  But, I kept reading the posts of what everyone else was doing and decided I just didn't want to quit.  So maybe just keeping in touch is a good thing.  If one of us is having an off day, get online and let everyone know.  That way we can motivate each other and the reality is, probably someone else is having a crummy day or two or three (or more!) as well and we can tell each other to hang in there and keep going.

This week is a good week for me.  Next week might really be awful and I will need you gals to help me get through it!  I'm willing to help you guys get through it, too.

2008-03-17 11:52 AM

User image

Kansas
Got a swim in Friday morning before I left for the weekend to go to Ft Worth to help my daughter with her wedding plans (she's getting married May 17th).  I really planned on biking that morning, too, but just got so far behind that I didn't get it done.  Took my stuff and planned to run while I was there, but didn't do anything but run all over the Ft. Worth/Dallas area on the freeways! Came home totally pooped and since it's spring break, my youngest and I slept in late this morning.  It is now raining cats and dogs so obviously no biking or running outside.  Gonna try to get to the pool this afternoon at least.  So much for being on a roll and getting back in the swing of things, huh?!  Since this is our second wedding to plan, I thought we would just breeze right through it, but different daughter, different issues.  And being out of town so far is really not a lot of fun for me. But, we'll get there.  How's everyone else doing? 

2008-03-18 8:47 AM

User image

Master

Ahhhh wedding planning.  I'm a good 20 years off from that pleasure - but I can already predict some of the "issues".... my girls are head strong!!! Good luck in that endevor.

Got my swim in yesterday - it was nice as noone else showed so I had the instructor to myself for 30 minutes... got alot of 1:1 instructions and tips on my form.  Then of course the 2 speedy people showed and she went to start them off... but otherwise good.

The problem yesterday was that the Y provides too much "free" play in the child watch and given Thomas isn't the typical normal child - he just can't go there.  this summer is going to be a challenge.  i have my treadmill and spinner in the house though so i can always get something done but swimming at night will be rough.  if Cesar doesn't get home early the kids will have to come and Thomas just can't do the child watch so he'll have to hang with me on the deck while I swim... Not fun or fair to him but it's better then the Y asking us to 'Leave" because of his behavior - despite it being the Y's issue with not keeping kids under control... 

Yesterday's issue:  Some kid hit thomas (with one of those cardbaord bricks)yesterday so hard that his glasses flew off into another part of the room for the toddler's so when thomas went to climb over and get his glasses he got in trouble then he retaliated by hitting the kid who hit him and he got in trouble.... all the while the staff is pinching kids cheeks who weren't wearing green.  Come on what do you expect!!!  Your staff doesn't keep their hands to themselves why would the other kids.  Not to mention why were these kids allowed to throw and hit each other with cardboard bricks???  The Y just doesn't get child rearing..

Ok, plan today is to spin/run during izzy's nap.  Alyssa is going away for the morning with a friend....

Have a good one....

Edited by houston-tri-mama 2008-03-18 8:48 AM
2008-03-18 10:39 AM

User image

Kansas
The joys of MS.  I've gone so long without any real issues, but I think I've pushed myself a tad too hard the past week or so (not with the working out, but with the other stressful issues of my life right now) and I am paying the price.  Yesterday after lunch I started getting vertigo and extreme fatigue hit me.  With MS it isn't your usual fatigue...this is as if one minute your totally fine and the next minute you feel like you've worked out all day long while carrying about 20 pounds of weights with you.  It hits fast and it hit hard.  I had to go lay down immediately and I didn't move until my husband got home from work and it took everything I had to get up and fix dinner.  After that I took a shower (why I don't know!) and went to bed.  Got up at 9:30 this morning and feel like I've been hit by a dang semi!  So, I will probably be forced to sit out today, too.  Sometimes I have this hit me and it goes away fairly quickly...almost like it never even happened.  If that happens today I might still be able to get a swim in later this evening or a short run.  But I never know.  One time I didn't get past it for about two months.  Now, that wouldn't be good right now.  The vertigo isn't too bad this morning. It has to be pretty serious before I knock myself out and sleep. But, it's not good trying to ride a bike or swim.  I could do some kind of serious damage to myself.  I guess I could do some strength training at least...that would work I think.  At least I'll give that a try.  
2008-03-18 9:16 PM

User image

Master

Teresa, feel better soon.  Take care of stress in your life so you function in life without MS symptoms... 

2008-03-19 10:53 AM

User image

Teresa - hopefully this will be a short MS bout that won't disrupt you too much right when you were doing so great.
2008-03-19 1:16 PM

User image

Carnation, WA

Hi ladies!

Sorry for the radio silence but last week I was in Maui for a training camp.  I've been horribly jet lagged since I got back so even answering emails has been a challenge.

It was a great camp. We got in several days of cycling, a couple awesome trail runs and several swims. I highly recommend Maui for training! I unfortunately ate way too much and put on a few pounds but they are coming off with some sugar withdrawls.

The only problem is that I have aggrevated a knee injury and I'm off to the doc today to get it checked out. If it turns out to be serious it could mean the end of Ironman training for me. That would really suck.  I'm going to pretend everything is OK and hopefully the universe will pick up on that vibe and it will turn out to be nothing serious.

It sounds like some good training is going on but with some health issues still lingering for some.  It is really tough to train when you aren't well so don't push yourself.  I remind myself of all the training I've already done and that doesn't go away. I figure I can muscle my way through a race if I've done the basic work I've needed to do.  You might need to adjust your goals to just finishing but that is fine. That's pretty much my goal for all my long races.

Spring is coming here in the Northwest. I hope you all are seeing some signs as well!

2008-03-21 5:17 PM

User image

Master

how's the knee?  what did doc say?

anyone have big plans for easter weekend?  Cesar is in school but tomorrow night he has a casino night so I'll head down and join him for that.  otherwise just yard work is planned.

Happy Easter everyone...

2008-03-21 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1286283

User image

Carnation, WA

I got the all clear for Ironman but will eventually need to get a minor surgery.  Basically my kneecap doesn't track correctly.  With my snowshoeing incident I has a minor dislocation that when it healed I built up a bone spur. My kneecap is rubbing against that because of swelling. Kind of a cycle.  He wants to do a small tendon release that will allow my kneecap to "tip" and stop rubbing on the spur. It will take me out of running for a while so I need to decide on timing.

I also have some arthritis starting there. I have a little on the other side to. He said it would have happened eventually but the training I do is accelerating the degeneration. 

He didn't tell me to stop at all, just let me know that I am speeding up the inevitable but having this surgery will slow things down on the right knee.

So, good and bad news. 

No Easter plans. I'm doing brunch with friends tomorrow and need to get back to training so I'll go for a run or hop on the trainer in the afternoon. Same for Sunday, either run or ride.

2008-03-22 2:39 PM

User image

Kansas
Jen, sorry to hear about the knee. Bone spurs don't sound like a lot of fun, yuck! Well, gals, I am feeling much better! I can't believe how short-lived my vertigo was.  I think it was the shortest time I've ever had to deal with it. I am attributing that to the fact that I am in better shape than I've been in years and taking vitamins/supplements, etc. So, I was able to get in the pool for a day of pretty easy swimming and this morning I went out and ran for a bit.  Not long, but wanted to see how I'd do.  It actually felt pretty good. I sat down last night and got a little more serious about writing down exactly what I'm going to do and when.  I think that will help me to stay on track and keep focused. I do think I'm going to try and find somebody to swim with when I'm not in a class.  It just seems to go better that way.  Not quite so boring.  We will be getting up early and going to a "sunrise service" for Easter tomorrow.  Won't be outside because, yep, it's gonna snow here tomorrow morning.  Go figure!  Other than that, it'll be a resting day so it will be quite nice.
2008-03-26 7:46 PM

User image

Kansas
Got on my bike today early this morning.  It was a lot colder and windier than I thought it was! I froze my butt off! I had planned to do a longer ride, but it was just too cold and I couldn't stand it anymore. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'm going to trade a running day tomorrow for a swimming day and do that instead. I am actually looking forward to getting in the pool. My husband who has been very supportive of this triathlon is getting a little testy about my training...maybe he didn't realize how much time it would take out of my schedule? I kind of think it's a tad funny since he trained constantly before going to France for a two week bike trip in the Alps last August.  So, I guess I'm going to have to pay a little more attention to him every once in awhile and not talk about my training too much to him. How is everyone else doing? I know I'm getting a little bit anxious knowing my tri is only 11 weeks away and I don't feel ready at all!  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » UltraIronJen's Club - FULL Rss Feed  

of 7