General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early season HIM support/training group? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-01-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1145711

User image

Subject: RE: Early season HIM support/training group?
I've signed up for my first HIM, the Spirit of Racine (WI), I've got all sprint experience with my first OLY this June and then the HIM in July. I have signed up as a "mentee", and have found BT an amazing source of information and inspiration.

I've just completed my HIM plan that is based on the BT plan, but with some modifications to fit my strengths/weaknesses. Anybody who is interested can take a look at it. I am always open for suggestions.

I did find a neat spreadsheet that calculates a 17 week schedule for you, but i felt it was a little light on the workouts, but i think it was designed to just give you an idea of what it takes time wise. I used it as a compliment to the BT plan. It's an Excel spreadsheet and I'd be happy to share with fellow HIM'ers

2008-01-14 9:09 AM

User image

Thanks to those of you who visited my log with encouragement after that long hill ride I did Saturday!  It was only the first in the series -- they get even more challenging from here on in.  Ride 4 is titled the "Ironman hell ride" and is more than 80 miles in those hills. 

I was wondering how many of you are riding/running overdistance in prep for your halfs.  I know some of the BT programs don't have really long rides, and I've seen quite a few friends have trouble in their first halfs at around mile 30.

2008-01-14 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
I'll do alot of overdistance on the bike and swim in training, but not so much for the run. I'm a little more conservative with running as I'm still building that up, where going out for a 60-70 mile ride isn't a big deal.

The book "The Perfect Distance" mentions that being able to do 90 minute runs will usually be more then enough to prepare folks for the HIM run, provided they have there pacing, nutrition and ride training done properly. And of course less chance of injury for some too.

BTW Gail, I still can't see your logs for some reason.

Steve
2008-01-14 11:29 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
I wouldn't mind joining in on the fun. Seems like alot of talk about "local" stuff for me. I considered doing Black Bear, but be forewarned - that course is HILLY!!!! i did Devilman last year and yes, the water was horrible. But, the entire race was flat and to me, it was a good low-key intro into the Half world. I then did Tupper Lake Half and will be doing that again this year (end of June). That one seems to be a step up from Devilman, but still not ridiculously overpriced like the m-dot branded races. I'll be at Mooseman too - although not sure if the Half or Oly.

I'll try to add you all as "friends" - although i don't post to my log. Currently, I'm just trying to get some base miles in - not worried about speed or anything. Trying to settle my life as I'm recently divorced with kids. (And if you need some perspective from the "stay-at-home-mom's" spouse, just let me know...unfortunately.) Eventually, I'd like to do an Iron-distance race - probably will aim for that next year.

I don't plan on following any specific training plan, but I do follow the recommendations in the book - "Triathlon Training Bible." Took me a couple times to figure it out, but now I love it. I think if you like to plan out things, this is a great resource. If you want someone to tell you what to do, then not so good.

Have a good one.
Walt

2008-01-14 11:51 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Welcome, Walt! Way to keep working out even with all the personal struggles!

Gail - Yes I over-distance train for an HIM. My long rides usually peak at 80 miles and long runs around 15 miles. I come from a strong swimming background so swim yardage isn't as important to me. Like Walt, I'm just building base miles right now. And I'm pleased to be able to run at all (albeit very slow).

Pam
2008-01-14 12:09 PM

Veteran
I'm doing Eagleman at the beginning of June. I'll be volunteering at your race though!
Check out Cadencecycling.com
They are actually doing a training camp for Black Bear. I train at Cadence and personally think they are terrific and it would be well worth your $$.

2008-01-14 1:15 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I'll do some overdistance training as well. I'll go up to about 15 miles for the run, and probably something like 75 or 80 for the bike -- my "plan" is still evolving - LOL!

Here's another question for you all... How many weeks before your race will your training peak be, and how long do you plan to taper before your race?
2008-01-14 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1155001

User image

Expert
Tulsa
jsnowash - 2008-01-14 1:15 PM

I'll do some overdistance training as well. I'll go up to about 15 miles for the run, and probably something like 75 or 80 for the bike -- my "plan" is still evolving - LOL!

Here's another question for you all... How many weeks before your race will your training peak be, and how long do you plan to taper before your race?

My plan says that week 17 out of 20 is my peak week. So i will have 3 weeks of tapering. I would also say that to be able to run the 13.1 miles at a pace you are hoping.....you need to be able to do a 35 mile bike followed by a 15 mile run. Just speaking from my own experiences. This has been a good plan for me.
2008-01-14 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1145760

Regular
Hey i just stared training for boise half ironman 70.3 and im with you ive been racing since 2004 and this is going to be my year i hope it takes place june1 2008 so ill be flying out there from mississippi good luck keep in touch im 36 and full time firefighter

(firestickers_1879_361131.gif)

Attachments
----------------
firestickers_1879_361131.gif (4KB - 25 downloads)
2008-01-15 6:16 AM

Veteran
My peak will probably be two weeks out from the race. It works out well that I have off of school that week for spring break so I can squeeze out some big traning during the week. I plan to go overdustance with two weeks out hit like 75-80 on the bike and 15-16 on the run on the weekend. During the break week I also plan to copy Gordo's big day training about 10 or so days out, 1 hour swim then eat breakfast, long ride, followed by a medium distance run, maybe 7-9 miles then I'll start the taper from there.
2008-01-15 8:19 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
For the 1st HIM I did, I kept a long run of 10+ miles, with only one 13 miler and that was 6 weeks before the race. Cycling - my longest ride was 66 miles. I felt strong in the race.

For the 2nd HIM, which I didn't feel as good - I ran a marathon 8 weeks before - recovered for a few weeks - then built the run back up to a 13 and a 14 (the week before...bad move). Cycling-wise, I built up to a 60 miler. Because of that marathon, I felt like I was behind on my training, so I didn't really taper except for the week of the race. Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend this. I didn't feel fresh at all for the race.

I had thought I had at least one 2hr ride / 2 hr run brick, but in looking back at my logs, I never did anything more than run 1-2 miles after some of my rides, just so I get used to the jelly-legs feeling.

So, lessons learned...
I'm going to keep a solid 10 mile run every weekend, with a 13+ every other week. For cycling, I'll build up to 65-70. And for bricks, I think I'll try to get in some longer runs after the rides - up to 5-6 miles. Sounds exactly like what some of you have already posted. Oh yeah...one more thing...I think I'll taper 2 weeks.

2008-01-15 1:16 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
For those of you with HIM experience... I have a question on attire... I tend to get a little - ah- sore in certain delicate areas of my anatomy when I ride in tri shorts for a long time. Do you all wear tri shorts for longer course races, or take the time to put on real bike shorts? Maybe I just need to HTFU and spend more T.I.T.S. in tri shorts, and maybe it will become less of an issue (or maybe I need to get different tri shorts!) Any advice??
2008-01-15 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1157639

User image

Master
New Jersey
jsnowash - 2008-01-15 2:16 PM

For those of you with HIM experience... I have a question on attire... I tend to get a little - ah- sore in certain delicate areas of my anatomy when I ride in tri shorts for a long time. Do you all wear tri shorts for longer course races, or take the time to put on real bike shorts? Maybe I just need to HTFU and spend more T.I.T.S. in tri shorts, and maybe it will become less of an issue (or maybe I need to get different tri shorts!) Any advice??

From a guy's perspective...Tri shorts for me, and I haven't had any issues.

Have you tried using one of those seat covers that has a pad in it? Maybe that could help. Otherwise, talk to your local bike shop guy - they might suggest adjusting the seat a little, or offer up a tri-short with a bigger pad.
2008-01-15 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1157639

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
jsnowash - 2008-01-15 2:16 PM

For mine, I wore a one piece tri suit. Body glide is key. And I don't think there is much you can do when you spend close to three hours in the aero position. Just comes with the territory. Body glide does ease chafing issues.

Pam

2008-01-15 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Posted already on another thread, but figured the short info may come in handy here too. I've read that De Soto has made there 400 mile short more Tri friendly for the 2008 model year with regards to the pad. I plan on purchasing a pair for my HIM and longer cycling days as my normal tri shorts just don't have enough padding for me either.

Of course I did a two hour trainer ride with another pair of 2007 De Soto Forza Power Tri Shorts with not to much trouble, especially for a new pair of shorts. Still trying them out though and haven't used them on the road.

Here's a link to Trisports page with the womens 400: http://www.trisports.com/desowo40bish1.html
2008-01-16 9:30 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I have worn a tri suit for my HIMs and IM and didn't have any problems. But I have to say Body Glide is great stuff. A nice coat on anything that may rub and some on your feet has yet to let me down. Almost as important, don't forget the sunscreen!!! And reapply liberally. During a 5-7 hour race you can get some evil sunburns, (back of the knees, arm holes, etc) which sometimes hurt worse that your legs do that day after. (been there, not fun)

As far as overdistance training, I don't normally do any. My knees don't like running over 16 miles, so I don't go much over 13.1 miles in training (even when training for an IM), but I will do things like do a HIM and a Half Marathon on back to back weeks.

2008-01-17 1:30 AM

User image

Hi there-like Jsnowash Im usually a lurker around these forums but I really need help deciding if I have it in me to do a half-ironman this year. Im considering the Lake Stevens Half, in early July. I think I need to start training now, right?
Ive done a zillion sprints, one olympic tri, and 2 half marathons in the past few years and can stick to a plan no problem..once i committ. Im overweight but have endurance and actually place midpack for sprints; swimming is my strength and running is my weakness. Im recovering from a bad ankle sprain but am back up to running 3-4 miles, 3x week now after a decent 2 month break (aah!)
How much time are you all planning on spending per week for training (average) and how is it going so far? Are any of you using coaches and do you think its needed to go up to half-iron distances? If Ive only done 1 olympic so far, am I crazy to move up to HIM already?
Ill be honest, I was all set to start my training and then looked at results from Lake Stevens last year. My age group had amazing times (30-34), and I thought, "Im not in that league!"

If this is the wrong thread to ask these questions in, kick me out and I will start a new one!
2008-01-17 5:32 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Welcome!

I'm training for my first half without a coach, so it's definitely not a necessity. That said, I could probably train more effectively if I had one, but I just don't have the money to spend on coaching, so I'm going it alone.

Only YOU can decide if you're ready to take on HIM training. You probably should get started pretty soon for a July race, at the very least, building up your distances a bit. I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to last year's finishers... If you choose to do this, do it for yourself, and don't worry about anybody else! Besides, you just never know what the field will be like in any given race in any year... All those "fast" women may have other plans that weekend next summer! Think about what YOUR goals would be if you decide to do the race, and plan your training around that.

I've just started my HIM training, and right now I'm spending about 10 hours/week in training, but that includes strength training and yoga, which probably accounts for about 3 hours/week at this point, so I guess about 7 hours per week in s/b/r training. My peak will maybe be somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 hours per week, but I'm feeling pretty ambitious about this -- it could probably be done in fewer hours than that.

Hope that helps!
2008-01-17 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1161238

User image

Master
New Jersey
watergirl777 - 2008-01-17 2:30 AM

How much time are you all planning on spending per week for training (average) and how is it going so far? Are any of you using coaches and do you think its needed to go up to half-iron distances? If Ive only done 1 olympic so far, am I crazy to move up to HIM already?
Ill be honest, I was all set to start my training and then looked at results from Lake Stevens last year. My age group had amazing times (30-34), and I thought, "Im not in that league!"

I seem to be settled into a 7 hour per week routine right now. I'm not following any specific training plan. And coaches? Well, I'd save my money. I've learned so much more on these forums than any coach could tell me. There are plenty of training plans out there that you can follow, and if you want some advice/motivation, just head to this forum.

I would suggest at this point, just get out there and do something - doesn't particularly matter what - just build your base. Get into a routine so you know which days you'll cycle, which you'll run, etc. And start to build up that long run.

And most importantly, DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS!!! Who cares what they do? You do what you do and let it be. This is about you finishing your first half regardless of who else is there.
2008-01-17 8:44 AM
in reply to: #1161238

User image

Welcome watergirl777! You are not crazy, and lots of us go from one (or no) Olympic to the HIM.

IMO, whether you are "ready" for HIM depends on how you define ready -- and this advice goes to BigSexy, too, who is debating in another thread if he's ready for Vineman full (I hope to be there, too). If you are willing NOW to commit to train and to pay the race fee, you're probably mentally ready, and if you consistently follow a reasonable training program designed to match your goals (e.g., just finish, finish under 5, etc.), you will likely be physically ready (remember, you may not be "in that league" now, but the race isn't till July...). If the training ("Do I really have to get out of bed this morning and run in the rain/ride the trainer?"  ) or the race day ("5-6-7+ hours of full-out racing and I may be embarrassingly BOP, are you kidding me?"  ) sounds dreadful, you are probably not mentally ready and then probably won't be able to get physically ready to the point of racing in "comfort and style."

Personally, I have a great coach, but I don't think individual coaching is necessary for a HIM. I started working with him as rehab after I had surgery last year and have loved it, so we've stayed together. He is leading a training camp at the race site in March, and he will be there at the race (maybe racing long, or maybe doing the Mtn bike course). He's the one who encouraged me to do a HIM early season and selected this race, which was a surprise to me b/c I have limited race experience and it's a particularly difficult course. Without him, I probably would have registered for the Olympic course, or stayed home that weekend!

Ironically, my tri club is now offering a free training program for this same race, designed by this same coach -- but mine is personalized to my strengths and weaknesses, and I get way more from our partnership than just a training plan for one race. I prefer having one voice to listen to -- the forums are great but provide a lot of conflicting opinions (as they should -- no one "right" way to train), which can be time-consuming to sort through and sometimes hard to apply to my own skills, which are very different across swim/bike/run.

Anyway, nobody will criticize you if you decide you're not ready, but all of us in this thread will cheer and encourage you if you decide to go for it!

Edited by gailg 2008-01-17 8:46 AM
2008-01-17 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
I'm in a slump this week.  I'm feeling unmotivated and it has me worried.  I was doing so good, and then all of the sudden this.  I start with a coach one Monday.  I feel a little overwhelmed right now.  

2008-01-18 6:14 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey, I think we all have periods like this during out training (at least I do!) Maybe you would benefit from a little break -- not too long so you don't loose all the good progress you've made, but just give yourself permission to let your mind and body rest. Perhaps you could just do a few easy workouts, stretching, something you enjoy, for the next few days or week until you're feeling better. I know sometimes when I take a little break like that, I come back stronger than I was before! Hang in there!!!
2008-01-18 7:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
I may be interested in getting on this group. I did three tris last year. Two sprints and an hilly Olympic, which might be good practice for the Black Bear, which I hear is quite hilly.

I did sign up for the Black Bear Sprint but kinda wish I waited but part of me wants to do the 1/2. I guessing they might be willing to transfer my entry fee to the 1/2. My running is what concerns me as I haven't done anything longer than 6 miles since last September. Running is just tough for me, partly due to carrying extra weight but I'm in on a weight loss challenge that I hope will get me down to 200 and make my life easier.

This group would be helpful as this would be my first HIM, if not the Black Bear in early June, then the NJ Devilman in October.

2008-01-18 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1163359

User image

Master
New Jersey
BrianO - 2008-01-18 8:02 AM

This group would be helpful as this would be my first HIM, if not the Black Bear in early June, then the NJ Devilman in October.

Before you go making plans, FYI...Devilman is in May. Maybe you're thinking of Delaware Diamondman in September? Or Bassman (which I think is Half distance.)
2008-01-18 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1162950

User image

Master
New Jersey
iwantotri - 2008-01-17 9:14 PM

I'm in a slump this week.  I'm feeling unmotivated and it has me worried.  I was doing so good, and then all of the sudden this.  I start with a coach one Monday.  I feel a little overwhelmed right now.  

Hmmm...you're in San Diego...and you're slumping??? Come on up to New Jersey. The high on Sunday is supposed get up to a balmy 22 degrees. I'll show you a slump!

But seriously, as mentioned, everyone goes through it. I believe I am coming out of my slump now. I had signed up for another marathon but decided I just didn't have it in me at this point. Once I let that go and just started to get out there and do whatever i feel like, things started to feel better. Mind, body and spirit. They all gotta be fresh. Be sure to let your coach know where you're at. And maybe just the change of scenery with the coach will be enough to get you motivated again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early season HIM support/training group? Rss Feed  

of 10