General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early season HIM support/training group? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-01-18 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1163359

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Early season HIM support/training group?
BrianO - 2008-01-18 8:02 AM

I may be interested in getting on this group. I did three tris last year. Two sprints and an hilly Olympic, which might be good practice for the Black Bear, which I hear is quite hilly.

I did sign up for the Black Bear Sprint but kinda wish I waited but part of me wants to do the 1/2. I guessing they might be willing to transfer my entry fee to the 1/2. My running is what concerns me as I haven't done anything longer than 6 miles since last September. Running is just tough for me, partly due to carrying extra weight but I'm in on a weight loss challenge that I hope will get me down to 200 and make my life easier.

This group would be helpful as this would be my first HIM, if not the Black Bear in early June, then the NJ Devilman in October.

I hear ya, Brian. I am doing re-hab running also. I haven't hit four miles yet. Last long run was the half mary in my HIM in September. Take those baby steps and ease back into it. I'm trying to lose weight, too. We can do this! My next HIM is early June.

Pam

2008-01-19 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1145711

User image

Regular
NYC
Great thread! I am in the fourth week of the BT 1/2 ironman plan and found that I have no bike workouts longer than three hrs(60 miles). I notice that many of you have up to 80 mile rides planned for yourselves before your HIM. Something to worry about?
2008-01-19 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I wouldn't worry about not having an 80 mile ride before your first HIM. I did my first HIM will a long bike of 24.8 miles. I wouldn't reccommend doing that but if your plan gets you to 3 hours you should be fine. Once you covered the distance and are looking to maximize your performance then the longer rides start to help. However, I personnaly believe that Total time in the saddle is of more benifit (ie a week with 5-6 90-120 min rides trumps a week where the majority of your milage comes in one long ride).

Having said that it, having gone longer distances in training does give a mental boost when the sledding gets a bit rough.
2008-01-19 4:48 PM
in reply to: #1163359

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
BrianO - 2008-01-18 7:02 AM

I may be interested in getting on this group. I did three tris last year. Two sprints and an hilly Olympic, which might be good practice for the Black Bear, which I hear is quite hilly.

I did sign up for the Black Bear Sprint but kinda wish I waited but part of me wants to do the 1/2. I guessing they might be willing to transfer my entry fee to the 1/2. My running is what concerns me as I haven't done anything longer than 6 miles since last September. Running is just tough for me, partly due to carrying extra weight but I'm in on a weight loss challenge that I hope will get me down to 200 and make my life easier.

This group would be helpful as this would be my first HIM, if not the Black Bear in early June, then the NJ Devilman in October.

Welcome! Black Bear is my race, too! (Well, I haven't actually SIGNED UP yet, but I plan too!)

I veiw running as my limiter, too, but I've worked hard on building a solid running base over the last 2.5 years, and I'm actually starting to get a little bit faster! Good luck with your training!

Jenny
2008-01-19 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA
Hi, my name is Jon and I am a scheduled HIM'er.  I want to join you all if you dont mind.  I am doing IM 70.3 FL in late May.
2008-01-19 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1166037

User image

Expert

Hi. My name is Kirk. I am registered for the Tupper Lake (NY) tinman 1/2 IM in June. It will be my first HIM. I just discovered this thread. I am in a mentor group and am learning a lot there and I enjoy the motivation, but many of them are true beginners looking just to do a sprint.  I am going to lurk here because you folks seem to really know your shizt!!

My issues are time (demanding job and kids 120 miles away), weight (currently around 228 and I am 6'0), and past injuries (back and knee).  I live in upstate NY and I don't even think about riding outdoors until March. I don't think any long run for me will be over the distance because it hurts the back and takes me too long to recover, thereby ruining the next workouts. 

I am using a 24 week plan from the book Training Plans for Multi Sport Athletes.  It uses time and not distance which worries me a bit because I am slow.  I am doing this just to finish. I know that I will not, if ever, do a full IM.  So, this for me is a REAL big deal.  Thanks for being out there. You guys all rock!

2008-01-20 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1166065

User image

Master
New Jersey
gator22 - 2008-01-19 11:23 PM

Hi. My name is Kirk. I am registered for the Tupper Lake (NY) tinman 1/2 IM in June. It will be my first HIM. I just discovered this thread. I am in a mentor group and am learning a lot there and I enjoy the motivation, but many of them are true beginners looking just to do a sprint.  I am going to lurk here because you folks seem to really know your shizt!!

My issues are time (demanding job and kids 120 miles away), weight (currently around 228 and I am 6'0), and past injuries (back and knee).  I live in upstate NY and I don't even think about riding outdoors until March. I don't think any long run for me will be over the distance because it hurts the back and takes me too long to recover, thereby ruining the next workouts. 

I am using a 24 week plan from the book Training Plans for Multi Sport Athletes.  It uses time and not distance which worries me a bit because I am slow.  I am doing this just to finish. I know that I will not, if ever, do a full IM.  So, this for me is a REAL big deal.  Thanks for being out there. You guys all rock!

Hi Kirk -
I'll be joining you in Tupper Lake. I loved that race last year. It has its share of hills, which I underestimated. So I wouldn't worry about doing some "over-distance" training, but just get out there and get in some hillwork. On the other hand, if you want to run longer, you can always put in some walk-breaks in your training runs. Maybe that'll help.
Good luck with it.
2008-01-21 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1166926

User image

Expert
Thanks. I used to live just north of Lake Placid, so this race has really been my goal since I started tris. I am really looking forward to it.
2008-01-21 4:49 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hi Kirk
Glad to have you aboard. A HIM is a very big accomplishment. Any 5-7 hour race covering 70.3 miles is something to be proud of. When it come to training, especially in the winter, just try and be smart about it. Take advantage of the winter to get some miles on the trainer and then be flexible enough to take advantage of the oppotunities mother nature throws at us to do some outdoor running. The more you build your bike base, the better your legs feel coming off the bike. Personally, I hate the treadmill but it is sometimes a necessary evil in the middle of winter. Train smarter not harder and race day will be alot more fun.

Hey Jen
Have you signed up for your race yet?

Edited by southwestmba 2008-01-21 4:49 PM
2008-01-21 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1168504

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
southwestmba - 2008-01-21 4:49 PM
Hey Jen
Have you signed up for your race yet?

ummmm -- no.... Guess maybe I should do that huh?

I was sort of waiting to see how my training goes before I pull the trigger. That and waiting until some of the Christmas bills are paid off! I'm really pleased with how my training has been going so far, so I'm feeling pretty confident at this point. Granted, there's still a looonnnnggg way to go, but I'm still feeling pretty good about it.
2008-01-23 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1168800

User image

Expert
I have an "issue". My plan calls for long swims and runs (for me anyway) on the same day that are not bricks. However, due to the fact that I have a job and kids, etc. I usually have to do them on the same trip to the gym. The swimmin leaves me starving and i bag the run more often than not with the hope I will sneak it in later.  Any one have any suggestions??? Crack perhaps???

2008-01-23 6:31 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Try doing it in the opposite order. You can knock out the run and maybe even try out your nutrition plan and eat some on the run and then hit the pool. I used to do bike-swim bricks (just because it ended up being convient while I was at the YMCA). I found that swimming after I was already tired actually forced me to concentrate on keeping my form together and I think it helped me alot.

I don't think you should ever get too hung up on not following your plan to the letter. If you have to deviate from the plan try an figure out the key workouts for the week and make sure you get them in, so if you skip a non key workout you are still OK.
Don't tell anyone but I think most training plans have you swim way too much (of course that depends on your background)
2008-01-23 7:04 PM
in reply to: #1172806

User image

Expert
I am glad you say that. I feel that I am most comfotable with my swim. I will never set any speed records, but I am sure about the distance. Bike and Run...not so much. The only thing with swimming more this early in the plan is that I don't hear about too many swimming injuries where running seems to cause a lot.  I will try it backwards with some nutrition tinkering. .....Thanks for the help.
2008-01-24 6:09 AM
in reply to: #1171660

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
gator22 - 2008-01-23 10:08 AM

I have an "issue". My plan calls for long swims and runs (for me anyway) on the same day that are not bricks. However, due to the fact that I have a job and kids, etc. I usually have to do them on the same trip to the gym. The swimmin leaves me starving and i bag the run more often than not with the hope I will sneak it in later.  Any one have any suggestions??? Crack perhaps???

My plan also often calls for doing two workouts a day at different times -- but that just doesn't work for me most of the time - so I end up doing them pretty much back to back. Not really quite like a brick though, because I'm not in any rush to get from the first to the second. I may spend some time stretching in between, etc. If I'm going to be at it for a long time, I will often throw some kind of snack in my gym bag (a banana, an energy bar of some sort, some gels, whatever). I get hungry during those long workouts, too! Usually when I have swimming combined with something else, I'll do the swimming last. It's just easier for me to do it that way - then when I'm done with my swim, I can just shower, change, and go...

But, hey, if you miss a workout every now and then, it won't be the end of the world! Just try not to make it too often!
2008-01-24 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)

Ok, Seems that no matter how often I visit the iron forum, I must have missed this.  That is too bad as this thread may be the best one for me.

I just started triathlons at age 39 and will complete my first HIM (Ironman Boise 70.3) two days before I turn 41.

My log states that I follow the BT HIM plan for beginners, but I tend to push more running right now in prep for my first full mary on Feb 9th.  Then it is all go – provided I can come up with a nutrition plan for the longer race.

So, too late to join in?

2008-01-24 2:12 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Nah... No real rules here... Welcome aboard!

2008-01-24 2:33 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Had a good bike ride today. I am feeling more like my own self again. Even made it through a mechanical. Running is still pain-free, but still baby-steps (I haven't made it to 4 miles yet). And I'm doing lots of upper-body stuff in the pool.

I see that some of you are already doing two-a-days. Wow. Haven't started that. Yet...

How's training going this week?

Pam
2008-01-25 5:39 AM
in reply to: #1174515

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
barqhead - 2008-01-24 2:33 PM

Had a good bike ride today. I am feeling more like my own self again. Even made it through a mechanical. Running is still pain-free, but still baby-steps (I haven't made it to 4 miles yet). And I'm doing lots of upper-body stuff in the pool.

I see that some of you are already doing two-a-days. Wow. Haven't started that. Yet...

How's training going this week?

Pam

I'm pretty pleased with how my training has been going so far. It's very early in the game, though... Right now my goal is 3 sessions each week of s/b/r, so I'm doing some two-a-days, but the sessions are not too terribly long (yet). As they get longer, I may have to reassess and either switch to two sessions per week of each, or perhaps a rotation of some sort (like maybe 3s, 3b, 2r one week, 2s, 3b, 3r another week, etc.). I worry sometimes that I might be doing too much too soon, but I'm doing what my plan calls for, and so far no problems, so I guess it's all good. I'm just wrapping up the 3rd week of my plan, so next week will be a recovery week for me, which I think is good, 'cause I'm feeling like I might have a cold coming on, and I'd really like NOT to get sick.

Happy training, everyone!
2008-01-25 10:26 AM

User image

Regular
NYC
After tomorrows long ride(on trainer, it will be 25 degrees in CT), I have completed the first month of my 1/2 iron BT program geared to get me through Florida 70.3!!

Due to weather most of my rides, at least 75% are inside on the trainer. I try hard to get outside for the longer ones. I try to vary the resistance and stay aero as much as I would outside. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me in later in training.

Any thoughts?
2008-01-25 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

I'll play.  (Hi Pam!)  I plan on doing my 1st HIM this June:

LibertyTRI * Long Course (Triathlon)
6/14/2008 in Independence , Minnesota
RaceLink (1 Members) - RaceReports

Have done marathons since 2003.  My 1st tri (sprint) was in 2004.  This is my 4th season.

Not AS worried about the swim, as I've done an Olympic distance (sans wetsuit) and have spent considerably more time in the pool this year.  Being that it will be June in MN, I'm banking on it being wetsuit legal, which is a big mental boost for me.  Not fast in the water, but I'm sure I can do the distance.  EDIT:  I am worried about the counter-clockwise swim.  I would really like to be able to swim breathing left to keep sight of the buoys.  Eek!

Bike worries me a bit.  Again, being that this is MN, not a whole lot of opportunity to do a lot of outside riding.  I have mostly been doing technique drills (1-legged), spinning classes, and Z1/Z2 trainer/stationary rides, but nothing more than an hour.  I guess I just need to suck it up and get out there and ride despite the weather.

Run doesn't worry me too much.  Doing a half marathon tomorrow, and a marathon May 17th.  Hopefully I'll have enough recovery time before the HIM. 

Great to have a support group.

Edited by sparco 2008-01-25 1:29 PM
2008-01-25 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi, is it too late to join the group? I am doing White Lake HIM in May. My three A races for the season are the Myrtle Beach marathon Feb 16th, the White Lake HIM and the IMFL in November. I actually officially started the HIM training plan in December, but have not done a good job at all following it yet because of family commitments, then a combination of marathon training, and injury. At this point, I am just trying to get through Myrtle Beach, and then after that I am going to have to focus big time on the bike to build up that endurance for White Lake. Right now I feel like I am way behind the power curve for the HIM but I am hoping after the marathon I will get it all put together. I look forward to speaking to ya'll more here and on the blogs.

2008-01-25 5:39 PM
in reply to: #1176314

User image

Expert
I am interested in what fellow Northerners due for riding now. I too, have ridden almost exclusively indoors. We have at least six inches of snow on the ground and the roads are covered in ice and/or salt. So, if I do go outside, I ride my old hybrid bike and not the road bike anyway.  Consider yourself lucky to be down south where you can get out if you want to. I figure I will have about twelve weeks to ride outdoors before my race......
2008-01-25 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I'll run outside year round, skipping the days when roads are a slushy mess or a sheet of ice, but most of the winter I'll bundle up and brave the elements. As far as the bike is concerned, I'd say my CycleOps Fluid trainer is a great tool, and it lets me do milage on my own bike, and I also do Cycling classes at the local YMCA on Saturday mornings (2 back to back classes plus I get there early is a great workout and a change of pace). Fortunately, most of the folks we will be racing with up North won't have too many miles on the road either.
2008-01-25 8:16 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I don't mind running outdoors in the cold (down to about 20 degrees), as long as it's not snowy or icy where I'll be running. Biking's a little harder. I'm reeeeaaaaallllly trying to get outdoors for a ride at least once per week, even if it's short, just so my legs remember what hills are like. But I won't venture out on my bike unless the roads are dry, and it's at least 35 degrees (maybe 30 if it's sunny and not windy). Right now, I have my tri bike set up on a trainer in the basement, and use my road bike for outdoor rides. I also do the occasional spinning class at the gym...
2008-01-26 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1176643

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
I am one of those lucky southerners but I still don't like going outside in the cold! If it is below like 45, I will run inside on the treadmill and if it is below like 55-60, I will ride inside on the trainer. I suppose the lucky part is that there are some days in the winter here that are actually above those temperatures so I can get outside and train comfortably.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early season HIM support/training group? Rss Feed  

of 10