General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cholesterol medicines and exercise Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-28 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: cholesterol medicines and exercise

So I found out I have high cholesterol.  No big suprise as my family has a history of high cholesterol.  HDL is good, but LDL and total cholesterol are very high.  Both my parents are on medicine for this.  My diet is pretty good (not perfect by any means), I don't drink, and I know I exercise enough.  So my question is:

Is anyone out there taking cholesterol medicines like lipitor, etc. and does it affect your ability to exercise and perform (at exercise, keep it clean) at a high level?

Thanks for the inputs.  I want to know what to talk to my doctor about when I see him.

2008-02-28 7:20 AM
in reply to: #1240671

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: cholesterol medicines and exercise
I use Simvastatin.   Haven't had any noticable problems with it.    Although I've had co-workers that have tried other products and have had muscle pain.
2008-02-28 7:34 AM

User image

Champion

Some people experience muscle aches and pains associated with the use of statins (Zocor, Lipitor, Crestor, etc.)  That could certainly be a negative factor in training.  I find that those folks are in the minority though.  Most people tolerate taking them with virtually no side effects.

Depending on what your LDL is and what your goal is, you might be able to be put on something that's not a statin, like Zetia.  Much less chance of side effects (although side effects with statins is relatively low anyway) and very well tolerated.

You'll probably just have to try something and see how it works for you.

2008-02-28 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
I was on Lipitor for quite a few years, got switched to Zocor and am now taking a generic Zocor.  I have never experienced any side effects, no problems at all exercising or racing. 
2008-02-28 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
I've been on Crestor for 3 years and before that Lipitor for ??? years. Anyway, I've never had any issues.
2008-02-28 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Been on Zocor for a couple of years and Lipitor for a couple of years before that.

The only side effect has been a noticeable absence of dropping dead in the street from arterial blockages.

I'm willing to put up with that.

2008-02-28 9:53 AM

Veteran
There are two types of statins but they have the same types of side effects: Muscle Damage & Liver Damage. If you take a small dose you probably won't see much of either side effect. Tthe Water Soluble statins are much better for most people because they work better, require less drug, and the are NOT as easily taken into the muscle as Fat Soluble statins. For instance - 5mg of Water Soluble Crestor will reduce your cholesterol 35% - - 60%, but to get only 30% - - 50% reduction by taking the Fat Soluble Lipitor you would need to take 40mg - - 80mg.

The main problem with Fat soluble statins is that you take more mgs and it is absorbed into the muscle causing MORE muscle pain/damage than the Water based statins. But tests show that people who take the Water based statins show more elevated liver enzymes. So it is kind of like picking your poison.

I was diagnosed with high cholesterol 5 years ago (total was 274 and my good was too low and my bad was too high) and my lizer enzymes (too much booze) were elevated and my triglycerides were way too high (bad diet). I didn't want to take statins because they have been proven to lower total cholesterol and that's all. There is no proof they prevent heart attacks. I started taking 2 supplements: 1 is a red rice yeast and the other is a natural plan sterol. I now weigh 50 lbs less, and my total cholesterol is 179. My good is above where it needs to be. My low is where it should be. My liver is not fatty anymore and my enzymes dropped way down to normal. My tris went down well below the norm, etc. BUT before I started taking the red rice yeast and plant sterols I was ONLY able to lower my cholesterol from 274 to 235 with diet and exercise alone. I honestly believe that i'd still be around 230 if i didn't start taking the supplements because my cholesterol went down 28 points in the first 6 weeks I took them.

That's my $.02. If you HAVE to take a statin, I'd take a water based statin at a VERY low dosage. And I'd probably cut it in half or take it every other day.
2008-02-28 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

I was on Crestor for a couple of years and then switched to lovastatin (Mevacor), mainly because it's a lot cheaper on my health plan.  Have not noticed any effects good or bad from either (other than lower cholesterol in blood tests).

And personally, I take the dosage my doctor prescribes...

Edited by tjh 2008-02-28 11:30 AM
2008-02-28 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
My choleserol is a tad on the high side but thankfully no med's needed. Just wanted to pass along a link, I'm not sure how I got on this email list, but recieve emails from this site on occasion and normally don't even read them, but this one had to do with cholesterol so I checked it out earlier today.

Not sure of any of the statements made by this particular person or his agenda. Just thought it may be of interest.

http://www.ultrawellness.com/blog/cholesterol
2008-02-28 11:38 AM

User image

Arlington, VA
From the medical side of it, one of the biggest side effects of taking statins is that it reduces the amount of Coenyzme Q10 which the body produces for energy production and is also an anti-oxidant. I try to get all of my triathletes and runners on Coenyzme Q10 especially if they are taking statins. There are many peer reviewed articles out there on the damaging effects of statins but for some people who do not want to change their eating and exercise its an easy way to lower cholesterol.
2008-02-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1241389

User image

Expert
Central New York
todsulli - 2008-02-28 12:38 PM

There are many peer reviewed articles out there on the damaging effects of statins

It would be helpful if you were to cite a few, particularly any that strike you as exceptionally rigorous and important to the scientific discourse.

The Mayo Clinic takes a more skeptical view of Coenzyme Q12 and its purported benefits as a supplement:

From the Mayo website:

"Levels of CoQ10 in the body can be increased by taking CoQ10 supplements, although it is not clear that replacing 'low CoQ10' is beneficial.

CoQ10 has been used, recommended, or studied for numerous conditions, but remains controversial as a treatment in many areas."

Also this, regarding exercise performance:

"The effects of CoQ10 on exercise performance have been tested in athletes, normal healthy individuals, and in people with chronic lung disease. Results are variable, with some research suggesting benefits, and other studies showing no effects. Most trials have not been well-designed. Better research is necessary before a firm conclusion can be drawn."

URL: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coenzyme-q10/NS_patient-coenzymeq1...

Edited by Xan 2008-02-28 12:59 PM

2008-02-28 1:57 PM
in reply to: #1241389

Elite
Denver, Colorado

todsulli - 2008-02-28 11:38 AM From the medical side of it, one of the biggest side effects of taking statins is that it reduces the amount of Coenyzme Q10 which the body produces for energy production and is also an anti-oxidant. I try to get all of my triathletes and runners on Coenyzme Q10 especially if they are taking statins. There are many peer reviewed articles out there on the damaging effects of statins but for some people who do not want to change their eating and exercise its an easy way to lower cholesterol.

Your statement "but for some people who do not want to change their eating and exercise its an easy way to lower cholesterol" is both ignorant and condescending. The OP exercises enough and I'm willing to bet that his diet is better than the average person's diet. Thing is, diet only accounts for about 20% of the cholesterol number. The majority of cholesterol is made by the body itself.

To the OP: When I initially started taking Lipitor I noticed muscle aches. However, it turned out that there was a bug going around that only produced muscle aches but no other cold or flu symptoms. My wife experienced muscle aches around the same time and she's not on a statin. So, it wasn't the statin that caused my muscle aches. I've noticed no side effects and it doesn't seem to hamper my exercise. Then again, I tend to forget taking the stuff - I'm the worst patient ever.

2008-02-28 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1241369

Elite
Denver, Colorado

rottieguy - 2008-02-28 11:30 AM My choleserol is a tad on the high side but thankfully no med's needed. Just wanted to pass along a link, I'm not sure how I got on this email list, but recieve emails from this site on occasion and normally don't even read them, but this one had to do with cholesterol so I checked it out earlier today. Not sure of any of the statements made by this particular person or his agenda. Just thought it may be of interest. http://www.ultrawellness.com/blog/cholesterol

Whenever someone starts claiming a "conspiracy by the medical-industrial complex," their credibility goes down the toilet. Not that I don't think Pfizer makes a tidy profit from sales of Lipitor; I just don't go for ad hominem attacks. The group below, who identify themselves as "cholesterol skeptics," doesn't resort to such personal attacks but instead, examines the research regarding cholesterol and heart disease. Their conclusion is that while there is an association between high cholesterol and heart disease, association does not equal causation. Their point of view is interesting and worth reading if you're the type of person who likes to question authority. These individuals are either brilliant visionaries or total nutjobs. Time will tell.

http://www.thincs.org/

Edited by MikeTheBear 2008-02-28 2:06 PM
2008-02-28 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Thanks everyone for their responses.  Truth is, my diet is pretty good. And I workout 5-6 days a week doing mostly cardio.  My family has a history of high cholesterol.  80% of your cholesterol is produced in your body and not from diet.  I figure that I will make another stab at limiting my diet even more and see what happens, at the level that my cholesterol is, I expect that it will be recommended that I take some medicine.

I just wanted to know what others had experience.  I looked online and found some info, but not much specific to endurance exercise and statins.  I did see the muscle ache stuff and liver concerns, but nothing on intense cardiovascular exercise.

Thanks again.

2008-02-28 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1241902

Elite
Denver, Colorado
velocomp - 2008-02-28 2:18 PM

My family has a history of high cholesterol.  80% of your cholesterol is produced in your body and not from diet. 

Same here - family history. I'm not saying you shouldn't watch your diet, but yeah, our bodies like to make the stuff. You might also try taking fish oil which will raise HDL. I get my high cholesterol from my mom, and she's big into taking fish oil. Although her total cholesterol was somewhat high, her doctor decided not to put her on statins because her HDL was also very high. She'll turn 72 in about two weeks and she has had no heart problems to date.

2008-02-28 2:55 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado

Crap, I always go researching this stuff when the topic comes up instead of working. This is a Wikipedia entry but it's one of the most intelligent things I've read to date on cholesterol and heart disease. Bottom line: the idea that cholesterol gets randomly deposited and "clogs" the arteries is highly oversimplified. It's a process, much like everything else that goes on in the body. I guess I should keep taking my Lipitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atherosclerosis

2008-02-28 3:07 PM

User image

Arlington, VA
There are many more peer reviewed articles out there on Statins and CoQ10. I see on a daily basis people who are experiencing side effects from medications such as statins. I am also not saying that the original person who posted is not eating healthy and exercising but I have several patients that lose weight and changed their lifestyle and now dont need such medications. I am all for medications when needed such as hereditary cholesterol problems and many more but be aware there are very real side effects of taking these medications.

CoQ10 may also be a very important supplement to consider for those taking statin drugs to lower cholesterol. Statins are one the most commonly prescribed medications today. While statins do lower blood levels of dangerous LDL-cholesterol and C-reactive protein, statins also reduce the body’s synthesis of precious CoQ10 by about 25-60% (5,6). This is because CoQ10 and cholesterol are made in the same pathway from the same precursor substance called HMG-CoA.

Common side effects of statins are thought to be due the inhibition of CoQ10 synthesis, which include: muscle pain (7), difficulty breathing (7), polyneuropathy (8). fatigue (9), severe irritability and aggression (10), and memory loss and cognitive defects (11). If you suffer from any of these side effects, you may want to discuss CoQ10 supplementation with your physician.

5.Crane FL. Biochemical functions of coenzyme Q10. J Am Coll Nutr 2001; 20:591-98
6.Rundek T et al. Atorvastatin decreases the coenzyme Q10 in the blood of patients at risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. Arch Neurol 2004; 61:889-92
7.Langsjoen PH et al. Treatment of statin advese effects with supplemental coenzyme Q10 and statin drug discontinuation. BioFactors 2005; 25:147-52
8.Gaist D, Jeppesen U, Andersen M, Garcia Rodriguez LA, Hallas J, Sindrup SH. Statins and risk of polyneuropathy: a case-control study. Neurology 2002; 58(9):1333-7
9.Golomb BA. Statin adverse effects: implications for the elderly. Geriatric Times. Vol (3); May/June 2004. http://www.geriatrictimes.com/g040618.html
10.Golomb BA, Kane T, Dimsdale JA (2004), Severe irritability associated with statin cholesterol-lowering drugs. QJM 97(4):229-235.
2008-02-28 3:12 PM

User image

Champion

So lack of CoQ10 causes certain symptoms.  You have those symptoms, therefore you lack CoQ10?

Ummm...no.

2008-02-28 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1242109

Elite
Denver, Colorado
DerekL - 2008-02-28 3:12 PM

So lack of CoQ10 causes certain symptoms.  You have those symptoms, therefore you lack CoQ10?

Ummm...no.

Someone who actually understands logic. I'm impressed.

"If the car runs, then the car has fuel. The car has fuel. Therefore, the car runs."

This argument parallels the one above and is a logical fallacy. The car can have fuel but still not run because of other things being wrong with it.

Having said that, I take a CoQ10 supplement with my statin. I realize that all I may be getting is very expensive urine.

2008-02-28 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Just as a side note.  I understand cholesterol.  I have actually lead health hear seminars and talked in great length about cholesterol.  What I don't know is the impact of the medications on endurance athletes.  That being said, it sounds like there are several uncommon side effects that could affect a person, but they are not common and you won't know until you try.

Does that about sum it up?

2008-02-28 4:25 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado

I would say that your summation is generally correct, based on my own reading and non-epert knowledge. The one bad thing is that while the side effects are rare, they can be severe. The worst thing that could happen to a statin user is rhabdomyolysis. This condition has also been seen in people who have done very strenuous exercise. It's indeed very rare for exercise or statin use by themselves to cause this condition. I guess my question is what happens when you combine statin use and exercise? I'm not saying this to scare you or to raise conspiracy theories. I figure since you obviously know about cholesterol and heart disease to some extent, you should be informed. I personally have gone cross-country skiing at altitude while on Lipitor and I'm still in one piece, so it may be that there's nothing to worry about.

BTW - Given that you're somewhat of an expert on cholesterol, have you heard of the "cholesterol skeptics" and if so, what do you think? Are these guys total crackpots?

2008-02-28 4:50 PM
in reply to: #1242340

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
MikeTheBear - 2008-02-28 3:25 PM

BTW - Given that you're somewhat of an expert on cholesterol, have you heard of the "cholesterol skeptics" and if so, what do you think? Are these guys total crackpots?

Well, first off, I have some knowledge, but it is dated (I was in the fitness field in the 90s (B.A. in Kinesiology)).  Second, they are no more "crackpots" then those who say "vaccinations for kids are dangerous".  Or those that say strength training for endurance athletes is crazy talk.  As much as we know about the human body, we know nothing.  Just my opinion.  So to answer your question, no they are not crackpots, but maybe could use a little more of an open mind and research.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

For me, I have knocked of almost all my other risk factors, so now it is on to this one.

2008-02-28 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1242195

User image

Champion
MikeTheBear - 2008-02-28 3:33 PM
DerekL - 2008-02-28 3:12 PM

Ummm...no.

Someone who actually understands logic. I'm impressed.

"If the car runs, then the car has fuel. The car has fuel. Therefore, the car runs."

This argument parallels the one above and is a logical fallacy. The car can have fuel but still not run because of other things being wrong with it.

Having said that, I take a CoQ10 supplement with my statin. I realize that all I may be getting is very expensive urine.

Oh, I'm not arguing against CoQ10.  Just pointing out the fallacy that you summarized as well.

2008-02-28 9:25 PM

Veteran
Mike The Bear, his statement of "but for some people who do not want to change their eating and exercise its an easy way to lower cholesterol" might sound mean but he is mostly correct. My best friend is a doctor and he said America is fat and lazy and poorly nutritioned. MANY people see a pill as a magic elixir to make them healthy. He said there are way too many people on statins who don't need to be - people with only marginally high total cholesterol, etc.. He says doctor's get paid to write scripts so they do. I asked my doc (my old doc) about taking zetia instead of a statin or the beenfits of red rice yeast and he basicly laughed at me and said take crestor. i refused. i started taking red rice yeast. i lowered my total cholesterol 100 points with NO statins. there are people who need them i suppose. i mean if you don't smoke, don't drink, have a great diet, exercise constantly and still have HIGH cholesterol (over 250) then I would think a statin would probably be ebenficial if plant sterols, red rice yeast, cold water fish oil, etc. didn't help you first

Edited by big john h 2008-02-28 9:29 PM
2008-02-28 10:14 PM

User image

Arlington, VA
Thank you well said. The statement I made was not suppose to be taken as a mean comment but more just a realistic comment on the everyday patients that come into my practice on a daily basis. I would say 1 in 5 of my patients are taking a cholesterol medication and for a large portion of these people they are overweight, eat unhealthy and want an easy fix to the problem.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cholesterol medicines and exercise Rss Feed  

of 2