General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road ID: Going to keep me alive or kill me? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-04-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1349600

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
Subject: RE: Road ID: Going to keep me alive or kill me?
firefighter5765 - 2008-04-20 9:58 AM

• We as first responders are rarely exposed to a wrist, ankle or other band type ID that requires us to 1st call a phone number or access a web site, then log in to the system and then access a pt medical records. If a first responder or health care provider is NOT familiar with the RoadID system and does not know how to quickly use the system it could delay care because important patient information could go undiscovered.

• Exactly why I think the old road id is better than the new. Phone calls to collect what could be in front of you just slows it all down.

They should give you five lines and a sixth line for the phone number and ID number.

2008-04-20 3:57 PM
    in reply to: #1349859

Veteran
    Georga
    Good point Nelg, that is why I am going to wear both of my tags and continue to try and spread the word about the available information to my brothers and sisters in the fire/ems community. I have shown the guys I work with both on my shift and the shifts before and after the one I work on how to use it in the event they have to respond to pick me up off the side of the road somewhere within their response area.
    2008-04-20 4:17 PM
    in reply to: #1349600

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
    South

firefighter5765 - 2008-04-20 9:58 AM It's not a matter of missing the band on the wrist, ankle or elsewhere on the body it is a matter of knowing what to do quickly and not having to say "what is this and how does it work" when you are trying to provide patient care. We do a head to toe survey and address any immediate life threatening injuries first, when a wrist band ID is found by first responders, we are used to it saying something to the effect of “diabetic” “high blood pressure” “epileptic” or other illness which can quickly be identified. We as first responders are rarely exposed to a wrist, ankle or other band type ID that requires us to 1st call a phone number or access a web site, then log in to the system and then access a pt medical records. 

shoot....  I didn't know they upgraded their system to a database info type thing, like Medic Alert where they call the company and they give the info out over the phone.  I have  a road id with just the basic id- name, year of birth, relevant medicial condition, and emergency numbers.    That is why I jumped on you, I was unaware of the new thing where you had to call and waste time..... 

and FWIW I also have a sticker inside my helmet.  But now I think about it, EMS probably won't remove that helmet from my head.... 

2008-04-20 4:34 PM
    in reply to: #1348387

User image

Champion
    Alabama

My wife bought one for me a couple of years ago but I've never used it.

If I get hit by a car, someone needs to call 911 not my wife! 

If I'm in a coma or can't communicate, my wife will eventually call the local authorities/hospitol is ask is a big, dumb, reckless man was admitted recently.

~Mike

2008-04-20 7:32 PM
    in reply to: #1350012

Veteran
    Georga
    Lucy

No harm no foul, I really think it is a good idea to have the information available to the first responders, I just would have like to see some kind of awareness program put in place by RoadID that could have been distributed to all first responders / health care providers so that they knew how to use it if and when found. I am going to try it and I will still wear my other tag as a back up.

In regard to your helmet with the sticker inside, that is a very good idea and I would recommend that, even though you are right about EMS not removing your helmet if you still have it on after the wreck. If it is able to be removed or falls off and you are not alert to person,place or time that sticker will give the ems crew something to start with.

This has been a very good thread and I have learned a few good safety tricks in here, let's keep the ideas and thoughts coming.

Andrew
    2008-04-20 9:22 PM

User image

Master
    Canandaigua
    I went to Wally world and engraved a dog tag with name, address, home phone and wife's cell. It was 5 buck and 89 cents for a lamp change to put around my neck.  Don't go out without it.  Hit.  Put it over you head before putting your bike helmet on.  Oh yeah I have a returned address label stuck t the inside of my bike helmet and copy a my drivers licsence in my saddle pouch.  I've heard of people putting ID under the saddle. 

2009-09-12 12:09 AM
    in reply to: #1350231

Carrying a visible identification is smart.  The case is making sure one carries it each and every time one trains. This is where the wristbands are prone to fail as numerous athletes have told us. They dislike having to remember to wear a wristband and they dislike one that is wide (1") and gets sweaty or what the manf calls "funky" smelling.  If the wristband is on one's dresser or workbench, it does them no good.

yikes ID is the alternative http://www.yikesid.com/>
    Why is yikes ID better
    1. A yikes ID attaches to the equipment you already use - your shoes, your helmet, your bicycle seat and next month, your wrist so you're never without visible identification.  Each of these tags are visible and have the internationally recognized medical alert symbol so EMT / First Responders know it's purpose immediately.
    2. The helmet ID tag is not inside the helmet - that's a bad place as it's less likely to be seen in the seconds and minutes needed to address one's potential situation.  The yikes ID Helmet tag attaches on the fitting system next to one's ear or on the chin strap so it can be seen.  Also important is the helmet will travel with the fallen rider to the trauma center so medical staff can inspect the impact to help determine the scope of the injury.  This may not be the case for a wristband if it is taken off at the scene.
    http://www.yikesid.com/yikes_ID_Helmet-details.aspx/>3. the shoe tag is the lightest shoe id in the market and highly visible.  Another advantage is it fits within the shoe laces so there is no over hang on the toes, no flap, no disruption to performance like competitive systems. http://www.yikesid.com/yikes_ID_Shoe-details.aspx/>4. the yikes ID Seat tag attaches to the bicycle seat/saddle rails so it's visible. The advantage is police/fire most often look at the bicycle and will see the tag, remove it so it can then travel with the fallen rider.http://www.yikesid.com/yikes_ID_Seat-details.aspx
    5. the wristbands from yikes ID are the thinnest in the market. We are told they are also more comfortable than competitive offerings and because we've addressed the sweaty issue, yikes ID Wrist does not get "funky" like other wristbands.

Regarding the interactive - we've left that business to other companies like Medical 411.  Although interactive is a great way to build a recurring revenue business, we didn't want the be the company that potentially exposes ones medical records/personal data to hackers.  Secondly yikes ID is a global company and many of our international customers live in countries that preclude its citizen's medical records to be stored in the US because of the patriot act that gives the US govt free access to that data. 

Yikes ID felt it is best to serve its customers by providing the best visible identification that allows athletes to engrave as much pertinent information to help save one's live.  This is also one of the reasons why we recommend using all laser engraved lines for information - not catchy phrases/mottos.
    Ride safe. Run safe.
    Your friends at Yikes ID, Inc.
    2009-09-12 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
    Woodland, California

I have an expired drivers license with phone numbers to call written in sharpie on the back.  I carry this in my jersey pocket.  Simple, and free.

2009-09-13 4:19 PM
    in reply to: #2401920

User image

Pro
    the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
    yikes ID - 2009-09-12 1:09 AM

Carrying a visible identification is smart.  The case is making sure one carries it each and every time one trains. This is where the wristbands are prone to fail as numerous athletes have told us. They dislike having to remember to wear a wristband and they dislike one that is wide (1") and gets sweaty or what the manf calls "funky" smelling.  If the wristband is on one's dresser or workbench, it does them no good.

yikes ID is the alternative http://www.yikesid.com/>...

Nice try - but I don't see it as an advantage.  I get injured, they are not going to bring my bike to the ER.  And maybe not my helmet.  When I replace the helmet, I need a new ID?  It's not likely the wrist band or dog tags will be removed, much more likely the helmet will be taken off in the field.  I would hope they stick me in the CT to determine the extent of injury, not look at the helmet. And shoe ID's (yours or RoadID's) are not so good either.

Edited by gearboy 2009-09-13 4:23 PM
    2009-09-13 4:22 PM
    in reply to: #1350024

User image

Pro
    the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
    Rogillio - 2008-04-20 5:34 PM

My wife bought one for me a couple of years ago but I've never used it.

If I get hit by a car, someone needs to call 911 not my wife! 

If I'm in a coma or can't communicate, my wife will eventually call the local authorities/hospitol is ask is a big, dumb, reckless man was admitted recently.

~Mike

That reminds me of the joke about some guys talking about what they hope people will say at their funeral.  The first guy says "I hope they say I was a successful man who left the world a better place".  The second guy says "I hope they say I was a good husband and father".  And the third guy says "I hope they say 'Hey - he's still alive!"

2009-09-13 5:26 PM
    in reply to: #2402371

Froglegs - not a bad idea except that we hear it's not legal for EMTs to dig through the pockets of an injured athlete.  Plus when seconds matter, having a visible identification like yikes ID could potentially save your life if you've laser engraved information about yourself - ie. known medical conditions, medication you're taking, allergies, blood type, insurance number, etc.

2009-09-14 2:47 AM

User image

Master
    The Whites, New Hampshire
    I've never heard it is illegal to dig through someone's pockets, though I suppose it could be in some state protocols. I just wouldn't do it because it causes unnecessary movement. Even as a cyclist I wouldn't necessarily dig through someone's saddle bag, either. I'll check wrist and neck, and look at ankle and shoes during the full once-over, but I'm highly unlikely to dig more in the field. I care about keeping the body alive, not who the body belongs to. But I also care about allergies and major medical issues, you I want to find something right up front that will show me that.

Y'all have heard my opinions on the interactive. Don't do it.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road ID: Going to keep me alive or kill me? Rss Feed  

of 2