General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree City International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peachtree City International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Peachtree City, Georgia
United States
Tri4gold
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 22s
Overall Rank = 81/350
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 5/39
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 AM. Ouch. Cleaned the kitchen, ate toast with nutella and big cup of Joe. I packed the car the night before and made sure I had everything. Good plan, it worked.

Drove down with Jeremy Fisher blasting (product placement). I got to the site and picked up my packet, got my transition setup and spent some time mentally going over my transitions. I kept it simple. I actually went back to my bike several times thinking "I know I missed something"
Event warmup:

Zero. The water was chilly, so I did not feel like jumping in (no one did). I think it was a little bit of a mistake, but not a big one. Enjoyed having a little conversations with strangers. I like finding things in common with people at the start line. It calms my nerves.

I made sure I was seated upfront on line up for the swim. I was 10th or so in line. It was a time trial start, every 5 seconds.
Swim
  • 29m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam great, I sighted terrible. The course was a triangle with the small end only 50 yards wide, so long out, two quick turns, then long back. At go, it was a short steep run into the water, two high steps, then dolphin dive. All good. I passed the first person quickly and got hooked up with Aquaman. I drafted the first 300 or 400 yards, then let him go. A few people passed me, but only a few. Uneventful until the second turn.

After I rounded the second one, I completely blew the sighting. I followed a few people to keep moving. We went way to the left. I corrected but I added at least 300 yards to the effort. I think people got by me as I was sight seeing. I got back on track and Aquaman's brother came by me. I hooked on and drafted to the finish. Looked down at my time and almost let out a cuss word loudly. Kept my head and moved on.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. It cost me at least 4 minutes. Since this was my first OWS since my HIM in Oct., I am thinking I should not be surprised with my sighting issues. Swimming is my best leg and it is frustrating not to show improvement over Tugaloo. Oh well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

This was an excellent T1. Looking at the other T-1 times, no wet suite helped me. I ran quickly, but was a little woosie. I did not put on socks, just shoes. Helmet, sun glasses, grab the bike...gone.

Nothing. I ran with the cleats on, but the distance was short and frankly, I did not practice rubber band, jump on, get in the shoes act.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 8s
  • 25 miles
  • 20.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I made a mistake at the start. I got moving and pushed way too hard in the first 3 miles. My quads were still chilled from the water and the wind on wet cloths did not help. All the sudden, my legs were not happy. So, I backed off for a few minutes to get myself collected.

I got moving and rode very hard for the next 30 minutes. I hit a bad patch at mile 18 & 19. I suddenly could not produce much power and slowed to 15 MPH. I took a deep breath, relaxed, and let my body have a minute. I did not want to add any more stress. I hit a down hill stretch and got my power back. I started to hurt at the end, but was determined to hold 20 MPH which is my HIM goal pace. My HR stayed in the 150s with a few spikes into 160s on hills.

2 gels - 15 minutes in, then mile 21. Drank full bottle of Acceleraid. Total calories 320. Stomach did fine.

I need to relax and take the first mile or so easy and let the muscles warm up. Otherwise, I think I got the most out of the ride possible.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Bad dismount, but the run with the bike was quick. I had a little problem getting my helmet off. I went through the process quickly and got to running as fast as I could. Everything was setup perfectly.

Maybe practice the dismount some, but it was a small deal.
Run
  • 53m 55s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I am very proud of the run. I am a new runner (started June 2007 from zero). This was only 1:50 slower than my PR!

I did not have the Garmin on purpose. I tend to obsess with it. I wanted to focus on running and listening to my body. I did not feel great for the first half mile. At this point, I made a mental decision - time to race. I have not done this in a tri. I picked up the pace and did not want anyone to pass me, little unrealistic given my newbie running status. I felt good at mile 3 and started to calculate my finish. Holly crap, I might break 2:40. I started to talk with myself, kept motivating myself and pushing back the negative thoughts. At one point, I started laughing out loud because I was thinking you are officially a runner! The last mile really hurt, but isn't that the case if you are doing it right? I crossed the line just short of breaking 2:40. VERY HAPPY.

Did not eat anything and drank a little water.

Drink more and try to take in a gel or something at mile 2 or so. I know I can't repeat this feeding approach for the HIM. I am not sure it effected my run much because it was only 6.2 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

drank some water, ate a doughnut for some pick me up, talked with Alltom's friend, who won my AG, for a little bit. Talked with Ron (atl runner)and his wife (1111). I needed to get back by noon and could not eat BBQ at that hour any way.

I did not feel wasted at the end. I think it is a good sign for the HIM goals.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Perspective: This was 20 minutes faster than my first OLY. So, this was a good race in terms of progress. There is always woulda, shoulda, coulda comments with all races. Few people can say they raced perfectly. Overall, I am happy with my 2nd OLY and 4th Tri!

Areas for improvement: Sighting on the swim, start slower on the bike and warm up muscles, maybe eat a little on the run.

Event comments:

I finished 5th in my AG! Holy crap, I am stoked.

Great race and will try to do it again next year. Perfect to have a nice little OLY less than an hour from the house.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-12-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:20 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/350
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:08 | 25 miles | 20.23 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:55 | 06.21 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-18 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Peachtree City International Triathlon

2008-05-18 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1409406

Subject: RE: Peachtree City International Triathlon
Congrats on a solid race. That's a good delta from your stand-alone PR on the run, shows the running is really improving or maybe also that the bike fitness is good, as you did not take off for the run already spent.

I did the race as well, fitness is just okay, but I live in PTC, and could not pass up the race. I did my patented incredi-slow (35 min) swim, then had a decent bike/run for a 2:26 and change total. Will probably do the sprint in Aug, so might see you guys back in PTC soon.
2008-05-18 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Great report and sounds like you had a terrific race...
2008-05-18 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
James - Way to go! 5th in AG for only your fourth or fifth tri is really good.. Your strong swim and bike base really show..

Congrats again.
2008-05-18 6:29 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Congratulations!  I had a hard time sighting as well, and also spent some extra time going wide I think.  I'm not sure how to practice that though.
2008-05-18 7:49 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great job! That run is a tough one due to the hills on the golf cart paths. Way to stay strong and push all the way to the end.

2008-05-19 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Good job man. We had to be close to each other. I started in the 20th or so pair. Had a white and gray TYR top, Black and Orange LG shorts. Riding an all black Jamis, black aero helmet, black disc.
2008-05-19 10:37 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Job well done ... that water, like the bike, was all uphill

2008-05-19 3:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats. I can't believe you swam and extra 300 out there and still had a time like that. I guess I need more swim lessons. How bout I give you a few minutes of my run speed and you give me a few minutes of your swim speed? You did awesome out there! It was great to meet you.
2008-05-19 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Very very nice.  Way to figure things out and work through them.  Nice effort on the run and crushing your previous PR.  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree City International Triathlon Rss Feed