Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Statin drugs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-11-26 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1809386

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Statin drugs
This article is a bit more mainstream. It interviews several mainstream cardiologists who admit that they really don't know the true role of cholesterol in heart disease. While they haven't completely abandoned cholesterol's role in heart disease, and they still advocate the use of statins, they admit that while statins work, they don't know why they work. My hat is off to these doctors. No one likes to admit that they don't know something. And I'm sure the public doesn't like to hear this either. Here we've been told for the last 30 some years that eating healthy and lowering cholesterol was the key to heart health, and now they're saying that there are no guarantees.

http://www.westchestermagazine.com/Westchester-Magazine/June-2008/T...

Anyway, my point in bringing this information to light is not to bash the medical community. I'm a professional myself and I don't always have the answers. You do the best you can with the information you have. I also don't think that there is a "conspiracy" among Big Pharma and health professionals. No question that the big drug makers have a financial stake here because statins are hugely profitable, but if there were a conspiracy then we wouldn't have groups like the cholesterol skeptics. Finally, I'm not encouraging anyone to stop taking statins even though I made the choice to stop taking them against medical advice. However, you should understand that taking statins will not guarantee heart health. Heart disease is more complicated than "high cholesterol bad."

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Statin drugs Rss Feed  

of 2