General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Team Skinny (Feb 09) The month of Love Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-02-20 7:23 AM
in reply to: #1972278

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Team Skinny (Feb 09) The month of Love
saling4 - 2009-02-20 7:29 AM

"Running is my private time, my therapy, my religion."

Gail W. Kislevitz

Amen to that.

Happy Friday, Skinnies!

2009-02-20 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1972278

User image

Veteran
Limerick, Ireland
saling4 - 2009-02-20 12:29 PM

"Running is my private time, my therapy, my religion."

Gail W. Kislevitz

I couldn't agree more! And I miss my glacier pace running soooooo much!
2009-02-20 8:15 PM
in reply to: #1939546

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
My new plan has me running glacier all the time...LOL.
2009-02-20 8:30 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Well gang of mine I have been thinking and you know that is always a bad thing coming from me.  I was thinking about things in my past that I had an epiphany about and it got me thinking.  See about 38 years ago I thought drugs were way cool.  Then one day I got to thinking that drugs never made me smarter, better a sports or cuter to the fairer sex.  So I wondered what the heck I was doing it for, Answer was for NOTHING!!.  So that was the end of that at the ripe old age of 16.  Then again about 30 years ago when I was still drinking and getting hangovers I asked myself the same type of question:  What was I gaining by losing days of my life with massive hangovers?  Answer:  NOTHING.  So now I have a glass of wine now and again,  but that is about it.  Now I have asked myself the same question about smoking and the answer again to "What am I gaining?" is NOTHING.  It does cost me a couple hundred dollars a month,  It does give me an excuse to stop doing something that I am doing,  but a gain NO.  Heck I would take cigs on my Triathlons just in case I decided to take a break.  If I run longer then 6 miles I carry them with me.  So next week (wed,thur or Fri) I am going to break up with my best friend of 40 years.  I just hope I have the mental toughness to do it.  I must say that I am scared already and I haven't done it yet.  Smoking is the one thing in my life that has stayed constant and always there if I needed them.  I am going to attempt cold turkey since I can't see substituting one drug for another.  So for my 53rd birthday (Mar 9)  I am going to give myself the gift of breathing.  I think I will start a thread of this in COJ and try to make myself accountable to more people.  Wish me luck gang and maybe my runs will even improve.  Oh heck,  I am sure my weight will suffer but I will deal with that with you guys when that time comes.  Thanks for being here Team Skinny.

Brian

2009-02-21 4:18 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia

You can do this, and we will help you; I have watched three people I love die from smoking related causes.  My mother, only a few years older than you, died when her stomach aorta gave way.  She had smoked since she was 14.  She went from "I feel very strange" to DOA in about 15 minutes.  I wasn't there but my sister was and she has never got over it.  

I'm sitting her, trying not to cry, because thinking about what happened to my Mum and how it affected my Dad still makes me really emotional.   From the first moment you stop, you're health will improve every day and life is so great,   that's one of the reasons we're doing triathlon, I think, as a celebration of life. 

You are a great bloke and we don't want to lose you.  

2009-02-21 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Thanks Daisy.  My plan is to be around awhile so I think this is a great next move and ya'll know how I hate to lose a challenge (even if it is with myself).  Maybe I will even start to eat vegetables.......................Okay that might be pushing it a bit.  I started a thread in COJ just so you fine people don't have to read my rambles and my moaning,  but you can bet I will keep you informed on my status.

2009-02-21 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1974099

Champion
No excuses!
saling4 - 2009-02-20 9:30 PM

Well gang of mine I have been thinking and you know that is always a bad thing coming from me.  I was thinking about things in my past that I had an epiphany about and it got me thinking.  See about 38 years ago I thought drugs were way cool.  Then one day I got to thinking that drugs never made me smarter, better a sports or cuter to the fairer sex.  So I wondered what the heck I was doing it for, Answer was for NOTHING!!.  So that was the end of that at the ripe old age of 16.  Then again about 30 years ago when I was still drinking and getting hangovers I asked myself the same type of question:  What was I gaining by losing days of my life with massive hangovers?  Answer:  NOTHING.  So now I have a glass of wine now and again,  but that is about it.  Now I have asked myself the same question about smoking and the answer again to "What am I gaining?" is NOTHING.  It does cost me a couple hundred dollars a month,  It does give me an excuse to stop doing something that I am doing,  but a gain NO.  Heck I would take cigs on my Triathlons just in case I decided to take a break.  If I run longer then 6 miles I carry them with me.  So next week (wed,thur or Fri) I am going to break up with my best friend of 40 years.  I just hope I have the mental toughness to do it.  I must say that I am scared already and I haven't done it yet.  Smoking is the one thing in my life that has stayed constant and always there if I needed them.  I am going to attempt cold turkey since I can't see substituting one drug for another.  So for my 53rd birthday (Mar 9)  I am going to give myself the gift of breathing.  I think I will start a thread of this in COJ and try to make myself accountable to more people.  Wish me luck gang and maybe my runs will even improve.  Oh heck,  I am sure my weight will suffer but I will deal with that with you guys when that time comes.  Thanks for being here Team Skinny.

Brian

Well Dang Sailing, how am I supposed to come back  with some sort of smart azz comment of snarky joke about this post.... Frown

Ok seriously, Way to go man, way to step up to the plate and swing for the fences. WE are behind you 100%. You can do this, what a gift to yourself and to your family.

Whatever you need, just ask. If its accountability, support or just a good ole kick in the arse when times get tough. let us know!

2009-02-21 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbia, KY

Saling, I don't even know what to say...I whole-heartedly echo the above comments! I had an uncle die of lung cancer in his 50's; he had smoked since he was 13. So, congratulations on making a hard decision; and, yeah, whatever we can do to help, WE WILL!

I bet Cead can be a good encouragement about now! How's it going for you, Cead?

I would think, too, that knowing you will FEEL GREAT and BE HEALTHIER would be very exciting!

2009-02-21 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Saling - you can do it! I'm sure it won't be easy, but I know several people at my work who have quit and have been successful. We're here for you! I admire your determination. You are an inspiration to us all.
2009-02-21 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1974556

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
Shermbelle - 2009-02-21 9:48 AM

saling4 - 2009-02-20 9:30 PM

Brian

Well Dang Sailing, how am I supposed to come back  with some sort of smart azz comment of snarky joke about this post.... Frown

Ok seriously, Way to go man, way to step up to the plate and swing for the fences. WE are behind you 100%. You can do this, what a gift to yourself and to your family.

Whatever you need, just ask. If its accountability, support or just a good ole kick in the arse when times get tough. let us know!

I know just how you feel Sherm, I came on here today to throw some smack around, and now I have to come up with something encouraging, completely out of my character!

All kidding aside Sailing, probly the best decicion you could make is to quit smoking.

I believe every aspect of your life will improve. I my self have never smoked but my dad smoked cigs from the age 10 till about 64-65. Some of you may remember he passed last year at the age of 82. I truly believe if he hadent quit smoking he would not of made 70. He would have missed both my kids being born and 3 other grandkids and a greatgrand child. So look at it this way quit smoking, live a longer, better life. Enjoy your family, your friends, your runs and rides even more.

You can do this, and you will do this. We all know you can, and i think you know you can too. Why wait till you turn 53, start NOW. Go throw them things away and start your new life today.
Rob

p.s. i think you could stand to put on some weight.

2009-02-21 3:47 PM

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
Sailing for every day that you dont smoke i will run a mile. You know how much i like to run.

2009-02-21 6:31 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Weighing in late - but better late than never right?

Saling - congrats on the decision to quit smoking - and good luck.

As for me, I sadly report 247 this week.  I guess at least it's not 250. *sigh*

2009-02-21 8:36 PM

Champion
No excuses!

This may come off wrong, but when do we have to stop being nice to Sailing Undecided  Wink

Just kidding, look at all  the love our fearless leader is getting on here

2009-02-21 8:49 PM

User image

You can do it.  I quit smoking over 10 years ago and let me tell you it was hell.  Two weeks is the key.  The first week that you quit you will be dealing with the chemical addiction.  On the second week you will have huge psychological cravings.  After that it will be much much easier.  I had cravings for years after I quit, but they became less frequent as time went on.  It will probably be one of the hardest things that you will ever do.  Just fight it minute by minute.  If you can win the minute battles then you can win the war.  Also bring a ton of gum!  Gum helped me bigtime.  GL
2009-02-21 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1974897

User image

Veteran
Columbia, KY

comet the dog - 2009-02-21 3:47 PM Sailing for every day that you dont smoke i will run a mile. You know how much i like to run.

This sounds like the makings of a challenge!  

2009-02-22 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Thanks all.  Sorry Shermmie and Comet that you just might have to be nice for a change.

Sounds like a heck of a challenge to me Comet and you know me I do so like a good challenge.

DeepSouth,  I am  with you on the physical and mental addiction.  I have stopped before and I have always gotten through the physical addiction well,  but the mental I have always failed.  I always played little games with myself: 1 a week won't hurt,  Okay 1 a day won't hurt.  I'll just smoke today and quit again tomorrow.  Even a non smoker can see the flaw in this plan.  

I will keep my updates here short and sweet since this is still a weight loss team and not a Go Brian thread.  I do really appreciate all your words of encouragement.

2009-02-22 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Saling, we are all behind you. You can do it.

Just reread that and I sound like a cheerleader. Rah Rah Rah...... Go Saling!

2009-02-22 6:30 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Can never have enough cheerleaders,  but that is another story.
2009-02-22 6:48 PM

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
ran a half mile today. that means you can only smoke half what you normally do.
2009-02-22 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1976122

User image

Veteran
Columbia, KY

comet the dog - 2009-02-22 6:48 PM ran a half mile today. that means you can only smoke half what you normally do.

oops...we started already?!!!

2009-02-22 10:44 PM

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
nope. not really. just trying to give him a little push. plus its been ohhhhh a while since i ran so i had best start warming up.

2009-02-23 3:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton, OH
Saling: Give up the ghost man!!! Smoking will only push you closer to the grave! Congrats on the decision, and I know it's a hard one... I quit 2 1/2 yrs ago. I was a gum chewing fiend/fanatic. But I feel better (of course when I'm not sick!)

p.s. don't you dare let comet win!!!!!!

Been gone for a few days... just relishing the alone time from responsibilities. Going to try to get back to the gym by tonight or tomorrow. We'll see what happens.
2009-02-23 6:51 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
With luck, Patience. willpower. BT. and Team Skinny's help Comet might be running a marathon by the end of the year.....
2009-02-23 7:55 AM

User image

New user
I know it is not Wed. and I really do try and stay off of the scales except for wed. mornings but today I jumped on the one here at the office (same one I always use) and I am finnaly down Below 220 just to 219 but I am down past that dreaded number. Even better than the stupid number several people came up to me this weekend and were asking how much I have lost and they have seen a noticable diffrence over the last month especially through my tush and legs (what girl would not be excited about that!!! I was so pumped!) Thanks for all of your support. I know like this seems like alot of excitement for one mesly pound but I have been stuck on that one stinking pound for 3 weeks. the fit of my cloths have been changing but the dang number stayed the same. Yay I am so excited. Thanks again.
2009-02-23 8:09 AM

User image

New user
I was just catching up on everyones weekend and Brian you can do it! You are completely right about how much is mental as well as physical.  I whole heartedly believe that you have enough mental strength and physical strength to be a triathlete you can quit. Your life will improve greatly when you kick this habbit if for nothing else you will get back "a few hundred dollars amonth" I will go along and copy comet. each day you don't smoke I will run a mile. ( I am a horrible runner but I have seen people I love really suffer from the after effects of smoking) I am dedicated to encouraging those around me not to smoke. So make me run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Team Skinny (Feb 09) The month of Love Rss Feed  

of 17