Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2010-01-06 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2089847

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
Subject: RE: Paleo Diet for Athletes - review
I feel great on diets like this, this is pretty much how I eat all the time--can't eat many grains because of allergies so it suits me fine. Lots of energy, healthy, etc.

My theory is that there are different body types/metabolisms out there and that a diet that really works for one person will feel awful for the next person. Some people do well on high protein/low carb, while others feel horrible eating like that. Some people love high carb/high grain diets and do really well, while others are miserable.

I figure you have to keep working on your nutrition to find the plan that works for you and helps you perform better--and your best friend may eat the total opposite and do well too! It's all individualized...

Kelly

2010-01-06 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2595004

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Bigpikle - 2010-01-05 10:45 AM

KSH - 2010-01-05 1:03 AM Well I got the book and I have read some of it. While I think it's great... I don't see it being very vegetarian friendly. I need a few carbs to keep myself feeling full. And to make me give up beans? I would be curious to see how nutritious and healthy it is for a vegetarian. I will follow some of the principles, but I'm not giving up my wheat English Muffin for breakfast or my grilled cheese sandwichs... or pizza!

I dont see it working for a vegetarian - pretty sure they'd say there werent any in Paleo times.

Its all about more lean meat and fish etc so without all the usual sources of protein like beans, legumes, dairy etc you're not going to have much left.

Yep... pretty much. It would mean me going vegan basically.

I went vegan for 6 months at one point in my life and it was bad for my body. I won't be going back.

2010-01-06 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I agree Karen I don't think it would work very well since you don't eat meat.

Our Crossfit gym is doing a 6 month Paleo challenge starting 1/16. I'm looking forward to it as in person support with others I see a few times a week will be big plus.
2010-01-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2598241

User image

Regular
I've been eating Paleo for about a week now..... And I am really enjoying it.... but I am SOOO Tired... is this specifically what you're talking about the few weeks being tough? Definitely no trouble sleeping. lol

Otherwise, I''m good....
2010-01-06 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2598241

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
KathyG - 2010-01-06 2:36 PM I agree Karen I don't think it would work very well since you don't eat meat.

Our Crossfit gym is doing a 6 month Paleo challenge starting 1/16. I'm looking forward to it as in person support with others I see a few times a week will be big plus.

Kathy I would really be interested in seeing 6 month results. Our CF gym did a 60 day Paleo challenge. We had some pretty impressive results after only 60 days.  

Edited by scottyr7 2010-01-06 3:53 PM
2010-01-06 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2598304

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
+charged - 2010-01-06 2:59 PM I've been eating Paleo for about a week now..... And I am really enjoying it.... but I am SOOO Tired... is this specifically what you're talking about the few weeks being tough? Definitely no trouble sleeping. lol

Otherwise, I''m good....

Stick with it.  I am following the diet from the Primal Blueprint (similar to paleo) and had problems for the first couple of weeks until my body adjusted to the new way of eating.  I also had major sugar withdrawal issues.

2010-01-07 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2598920

User image

Regular
Thanks... I plan on sticking with it..... I am going to check today to make sure I'm actually taking in the amount of calories I think I am.....
2010-01-09 9:10 AM

I've started the paleo on 22 December 09. Transition was easy and performance dropped significantly first few days. I was tired, fatigued... I'm not long into it but I can't believe how well I feel now, after less than 3 weeks. So well that almost feels ILLEGAL

Decided to start it BEFORE the holidays to avoid all the traditional food I suppose to eat while visiting parents and friends, back in Europe. Kept my weight steady (that was my goal).

I had few foods "almost" Paleo, I mean, I had to eat some meat dishes that had some non removable rice in it, but well, that's life... So I accounted those for the 5% allowance, right? lol

I will post again in a few weeks with updates
2010-01-14 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Ok, I got the book last night and started reading it.  So far, it makes sense to me.   Once I finish, I am going to give it a shot.  I am going to commit to it for at least 3 months and see how it goes.  

2010-01-16 5:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I started a strict Paleo challenge at my Crossfit gym today for 12 weeks.

I had been eating Primal since Sept but now I need to give up dark chocolate, gum, diet Pepsi and dairy.

Doing a challenge with folks I see a few times a week will be highly motivating. We get points for eating, for training and other measurements.
2010-01-25 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

I am starting today.  Spent all weekend shopping and cooking for the week.  I will weigh myself tonight at the gym.  

2010-02-04 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

So I am on day 11 and things are going well.  Not really missing the dairy, but I drool every time I see a pizza commercial.  I have a strange question for those who have done the diet.  Did you have really strange dreams in the beginning?  I have had some doozies in the past week and a half.  Just wondering if it's me or the change in diet.

2010-02-14 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2654130

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
I have a question about the Paleo plan... hope someone can answer it. Yesterday I did an intense spin class for an hour followed by a 50 min swim. I like ending my workout with a 15 min sauna.... yesterday was no exception. When I came out of the sauna, I was WEAK! Hit the shower, came out and sat on the bench for several minutes feeling like crap. Went home, had a little to eat and drank some water. Felt tired and sluggish all day. Went to bed early. Got up this morning and felt fine. Did my run, no problems. I started the Paleo plan last weekend, and yesterdays spin class was my most intense workout all week. Did I just overdo it here.... I'm in good shape and have been training for months. My carb intake has significantly changed this week....  I've  cut out dairy, bread, grains, etc.  Yesterdays pre workout breakfast included a pork chop, blueberries, strawberries, walnuts and almond milk. I've done centuries, double centuries, marathons and half marathons and NEVER bonked like I did yesterday. Frown For the record, I'm 47 and have no health issues. Anybody else experience anything like this when they started the Paleo diet?
2010-02-14 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

If you read this thread you will find that this is fairly common. A transition period for your body to adjust to the new way of eating may make you feel weak or drowsy.

2010-02-14 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2672788

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
I saw those comments before I posted my question.... guess I'm just a bit surprised by how hard it hit me. I suspect the hard workout followed by a hot 15 min. sauna just put me over the edge. Thanks for responding. Don't know how it is up your way, but we finally had a nice day to get outside here in Hampton Roads... first time in forever.
2010-02-15 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Still buried in snow. I hope you didnt take my remark to be smart aleky, I only meant to point out many people have felt this way (including me). It took me about 2 weeks to get over the listless feeling.

Good luck.

2010-02-15 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2673224

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
It's all good. I appreciate your comments.  Smile
2010-02-17 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Just read this entire thread and I must say that I'm very interested in trying this out, so I've got the athletes version of the book on hold at the library for me. 

A quick question though - is frozen fruit allowed as long as there's no added sugar? 

Thanks for all of the info that previous posters have put into this thread, very helpful and informative!   

2010-02-21 5:50 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Hey everyone! I found the coolest product at the vitamin store today and I wanted to share it all with you. I use Jay Robb protein powder and he has a new product out called Yammits that is dried sweet potato flakes that you can sprinkle on food or mix into a smoothie. I thought it was the coolest thing EVER!
The reason I love this is because yams and sweet potatoes work better post-workout than fruit (fructose) at restoring muscle glycogen (fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen), but it's very impractical to expect people to eat yams every day! I just think it's a great tool for all the Paleo athletes out there. I saw that they have a bar, too, but it has agave syrup in it, which is higher in fructose than many other sweeteners. Might be ok for when you can't make a smoothie or use the flakes otherwise, but not as ideal as the Yammits.
Just wanted to share!
Jessica
2010-04-08 1:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Manly
right going to start this on payday! lookforward to the eggs and veggies at breakfast love a good frittata.. then lots of fruit yum!

going to miss cheese and bread massive fan of thoses!
2010-04-09 3:06 AM

User image

New user

Antwerp - Belgium
As many of you before I read this thread and grew interested in trying this "diet"/eating style to see what it would do for my body. I do have a few questions though, concerning the "skipping" of certain products, meaning the dairy and the grains. Could someone tell me why they are to avoid?

Skipping the grains and getting carbs from other sources, that I can follow. However, aren't you skipping the "slow carbs" then (e.g. starch)? If so, what's the reason?

Secondly, the dairy. I must say that I never ever had problems with digesting milk/cheese/... in my whole 25-years I walked the earth (although my blood-type is O+). My lactose digestion is going smoothly and I fear that, when I cut out the dairy, I will loose this ability (which has in fact a real risk of happening I think). So then my question: 1) why should you cut it out? The argument that "humans were not designed to drink animal milk" really is not sufficient for me. I don't buy it. Ok maybe 95% of the population do have problems with digesting lactose, but I'm not one of them. So why should I cut it out then? Could I follow this diet and still include milk products?

Just some thoughts, love to hear your ideas! Laughing

P.S.: Another thing sprang to mind, if you skip the dairy and the legumes, which are your calcium sources?

Edited by IronAnn 2010-04-09 3:08 AM

2010-04-09 7:47 AM

User image

Florida
Are there modifications for vegetarians (well mostly vegetarian - I still eat some fish)?  I am interested in something like this but a good deal of my protein comes from dairy, lentils, soy, etc. 

2010-04-13 9:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Manly

I am starting tomorrow, got the book on hold at the bookstore. Getting paid tonight so can stock up with meat and fish ha ha.. so expensive.

Will let you know how it goes. I have eaten low carb before and found it relatively easy but looking forward to adding in the fruit.

Oh am also injured with potential stress fracture in the foot so think a change to diet wont affect the traning i can do too much

2010-04-14 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2779383

kali0824 - 2010-04-09 7:47 AM Are there modifications for vegetarians (well mostly vegetarian - I still eat some fish)?  I am interested in something like this but a good deal of my protein comes from dairy, lentils, soy, etc. 

Of course you can do what ever you want with any diet. You may not experience the full effects. In reality when sustance was required back thousands of years ago they got their fuel from what ever was available. If proteins were lean they ate fruits/veggies etc.....however I dont know of any primitive group that was vegeterian by choice.
2010-04-17 3:16 AM
in reply to: #2779106

User image

On your right
IronAnn - 2010-04-09 4:06 AM As many of you before I read this thread and grew interested in trying this "diet"/eating style to see what it would do for my body. I do have a few questions though, concerning the "skipping" of certain products, meaning the dairy and the grains. Could someone tell me why they are to avoid?

Skipping the grains and getting carbs from other sources, that I can follow. However, aren't you skipping the "slow carbs" then (e.g. starch)? If so, what's the reason?

Secondly, the dairy. I must say that I never ever had problems with digesting milk/cheese/... in my whole 25-years I walked the earth (although my blood-type is O+). My lactose digestion is going smoothly and I fear that, when I cut out the dairy, I will loose this ability (which has in fact a real risk of happening I think). So then my question: 1) why should you cut it out? The argument that "humans were not designed to drink animal milk" really is not sufficient for me. I don't buy it. Ok maybe 95% of the population do have problems with digesting lactose, but I'm not one of them. So why should I cut it out then? Could I follow this diet and still include milk products?

Just some thoughts, love to hear your ideas! Laughing

P.S.: Another thing sprang to mind, if you skip the dairy and the legumes, which are your calcium sources?

The not eating dairy isn't because "people weren't meant to eat/drink it", but because Paleolithic Man didn't eat it.  Since there weren't domestic animals, they really didn't have a readily available milk supply.  Eggs are generally allowed (up to 6 per week) as those  could be found.

Calcium comes from your fruits and veg.  The book gets into why you can keep adequate Ca levels related to a net alkaline diet being better for Ca absorption.

So, to the question of can you follow the diet and still have your dairy.  Well, not if you're following the diet to the letter.  However, I've yet to have someone come punch me in the face for having a glass of milk here and there while I'm on the diet.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet for Athletes - review Rss Feed  

of 10