General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon for the Cure Benefiting the Susan G. Komen Foundation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triathlon for the Cure Benefiting the Susan G. Komen Foundation - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Fat Rabbit Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 56s
Overall Rank = 166/396
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 28/61
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 3:00 a.m. I drank a cup of coffee and ate a bowl of oatmeal. I had family coming with us to the race, so we all left at 4:00 a.m. The directions provided on the Web site by the racing company were just down-right EGREGIOUS! They had us going many miles to the north out of our way. They even had one of the main roads listed with a wrong name. This made us a half an hour late.

While I was quickly setting up my TA spot, the announcer kept saying they were closing it down and that everyone needed to leave. I was seething because I would have been long gone if it weren't for their insane directions. I know, I know. I have no one to blame but myself. Afterall, I should have left 5 hours earlier than I did so as to have room for margin of error. ;)
Event warmup:

I stretched a bit before the swim.
Swim
  • 15m 48s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

It took me a while to get into my groove. I had to turn around on my back a couple times to catch my breath, but I soon got in the swing of things. I had told Gary that I'd be done in 15 minutes, "twenty MAX," so when I pulled out of the water at 15-something, I was very happy.

I had been worrying about freezing for the weeks leading up to the race, but I was very, very pleased with the temps. The water just felt fabulous.
What would you do differently?:

Get faster. I know these races are won and lost on the bike and the run, but I would have been much higher in the rankings if I were faster on the swim. Period.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

The racing company seems to have combined T1 times into bike times. This is puzzling considering they have T2 times listed. So, I've taken my bike time from my HRM and deducted that time from their time.

I had left my water bottle at home. Gary was scurrying about trying to find the bike shop's tent to see if they were selling bottles, but he couldn't find them. Sometimes the most obvious things are directly in front of you. The bike shop's tent was just behind him - in front of my TA spot. So, needless to say, I had no water at all during the bike. I had seen the tent - and the water bottles - but I couldn't find Gary to tell him about them, and I didn't have time to do it myself.

I didn't have a race belt (long story) so I had to pin the race number to that souvenir T-shirt that comes in your packet and wear it during the bike and run. This confused my family because they kept looking for me in my white and black top.

Watch more movies about superheros with speed so that it'll somehow rub-off on me.

Oh, and, buy a fricken race belt you cheap jerk!!
Bike
  • 45m 27s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very parched on the bike, so I didn't push as hard as I would have liked in places. Still, I passed many more people than passed me, though. I passed several girls that were on mountain/dept. store bikes, just like I had last year, and - though I don't know them - I was proud of them.

I told Gary it would take me between 45-50 minutes on the bike. I'm glad I came out on the better end of that goal.

I was able to add 4 mph to my bike time since last year, but I still need more time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

As I was running out of the TA, I had forgotten to yank my laces so I had to stop and do that.

Not much, really.
Run
  • 21m 2s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really hoping for a sub 20:00 on the run, so I don't know what happened. It was probably not being well hydrated going into the run that helped do me in. I'm certainly not saying that was the cause, though, but it didn't help.

Spend more time running.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched a little, hung out with my mom, sister and husband, ate a blueberry bagel and some granola.

Event comments:

My race number last year was 1 and I got to be number 1 this year, too. There were pretty-much double the entrants from last year.

Last year I came in 40/42 in my AG and 207/217 overall. My overall time was 1:57. This year I came in 28/61 in my AG and 166/396 overall. My overall time was 1:25. So, I was able to cut my entire race time down by 25%!!!!!! This was easily my best race to date and I had a blast trying to beat last year's times. While I still want to podium someday - and soon - I'm just so pleased with my performance. I have been thinking about this day's end since I crossed the finish line last year. It was a day that did not disappoint.

Last updated: 2008-11-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:48 | 440 yards | 03m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/61
Overall: 307/396
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The water was perfectly still until we got in. It sat beautifully underneath the pink sunrise. We swam out a couple hundred yards, turned right, went past 2 buoys, then turned right past the last one and then onto the shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:27 | 12 miles | 15.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/61
Overall: 112/396
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Last year there was a strong headwind. I've also been recalling since last year's race, a "decent" hill at the end of the course. What a difference a year's training makes. What was a hill last year was just a nice steady grade this year. Easy!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:02 | 02 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/61
Overall: 199/396
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat along the sidewalk on the beach, through a narrow trail in the woods and then back again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-28 10:46 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: Triathlon for the Cure Benefiting the Susan G. Komen Foundation

2009-06-29 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2249241

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Triathlon for the Cure Benefiting the Susan G. Komen Foundation
Nice race! That is a HUGE improvement. What a bummer about the race directions.  You would think they would have them correct on their website.  Crazy!
2009-06-29 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Good Job, great improvements!!!!
2009-06-29 8:37 AM

New user

Columbus
Great job this weekend!  I'm so glad I was able to meet you in person. You were an inspiration to me and really helped ease my mind in the weeks leading up to my first ever tri. 

After reading your race report, I want to apologize for introducing myself at probably the very worst time possible. I wasn't sure if I'd run into you again and there you were...number 1 again  

Thanks again and congrats on a great race!  I'm looking at doing one more race this year...any suggestions?  I was thinking of the Great Ohioan in Delaware or the Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek.
2009-07-01 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
That is SO great that you had such a big improvement!
Great race, and great RR
2009-07-01 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations on the huge improvement over last year Lora.

2009-07-04 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I know this is a little late, but FREAKIN AWESOME JOB!!  That is an amazing improvement over last year!  Another year and you'll be inching closer to that podium.
2009-07-04 9:59 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Ditto ^^^ . Great job.  Soon you'll be looking for those seconds to shave off. 
2009-07-05 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Wow Lora! Knocking 25% off your time in just one year! What a difference! Great job. Keep improving like this and you'll get to that podium yet.
Keep up your great training, and we'll see you in Sept, if not before.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon for the Cure Benefiting the Susan G. Komen Foundation Rss Feed