General Discussion Race Reports! » East Fork Duathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

East Fork Duathlon - Sprint Distance - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bethel, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 57m 58s
Overall Rank = 55/64
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Ate some oatmeal and drank a cup of coffee. Left at 5:15 a.m. and got to the race site an hour later, 15 minutes after Transition opened. Thanks to getting there early, I got the spot closest to the aisle.
Event warmup:

Ran a couple minutes then stretched my calves, hamstrings and quads pretty well. Sat around on a park bench with my husband and just talked.
Run
  • 30m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This was probably my best 5K time in a multisport race or even a stand alone 5K.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster, of course!
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

My Transition spot was at the very end of Transition Area, so I had to walk my bike all the way out. My quads were so sore from the run, I wasn't moving as quickly as I would have liked.

Ha ha. Not do a duathlon again.
Bike
  • 48m 43s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.78 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the segment where I could immediately tell the difference between a tri and a du. My legs were so used-up from the run, they just didn't have the clean slate that they usually have coming off from the swim.

Given how slowly I thought I was going, I'm pleased with this time. I was struggling so much more than usual, I thought for sure I would come in over an hour.

Wow. Again, not do another du.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Run
  • 36m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

As can be seen from the time difference between the two runs, the second one was wearing me down. I started off EXTREMELY slow for about one mile before picking it up some.

Hello! Run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched a bit, ate half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, half a banana and drank some more water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being slow.

Event comments:

The lake was flooded, having wiped out the entire beach area and then some. The area was pretty muddy and dirty, and when you combined the overcast weather, it was just kind of gross. Because the race company had less space to set-up, everything was so close together, and it just felt claustrophibic.

Just not wanting to get icky (I know, I know: I'm such a princess), and having wanted to try a du since starting tris, I switched over to the du race morning. This was not an important race on my schedule, so I figured, "What the heck?"

Let me just say this: I would rather tri than du! I'd heard dus are harder and I can attest to that first-hand. I'm really glad I ended-up princessing-out because I have a new-found respect for duathletes and I appreciate the role of the swim even more.

Sure I would have liked a more MOP placing, but since this was my first du, I'm cool with it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:24 | 03.11 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 52/64
Performance: Good
Course: This was an out and back course. It started out flat and then, as you left the park, there was a very steep hill. It would then level out for a while. After the 1.5 mile mark, there was another very steep hill and then it leveled out again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:26
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:48:43 | 12 miles | 14.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 52/64
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: There was a steep hill starting out from Transition. Then it was mostly rolling hills, with emphasis on the rolling.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:03 | 03.11 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 56/64
Performance: Bad
Course: Same as Run 1.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-04 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: East Fork Duathlon - Sprint Distance

2009-08-05 6:42 AM
in reply to: #2328297

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: East Fork Duathlon - Sprint Distance
Nice job on your first du!  Now you know what to expect for your next one.  
2009-08-05 6:45 AM

User image

Expert
Good job Lora
2009-08-06 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Great job Lora! I did several Du's before any Tri's and I would have to agree with you, but you did really, really well!
2009-08-09 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Congrats on your race, Lora. Sounds like you learned a lot and ran pretty well despite heavy legs. I've never done the du. Gotta appreciate that swim, I guess.

Lynn

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » East Fork Duathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed