General Discussion Race Reports! » Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cambridge, Maryland
United States
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 31m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site on Friday, picked up packet, and headed to the swim start/bike rack. Took a swim with a guy I met named Doug. The water was nice, little choppy but not bad. We did a 10 mile bike over to the bike finish/run start at the high school and back. Racked my bike and headed to the pre-race meeting. Had dinner with @trishie and a few of her friends and called it a night.

Woke up race morning on time and headed to the school to park and drop off bike special needs bag and catch the shuttle to the swim start. It was chilly out, maybe upper 50s. Got there and dropped off my bike gear bag, loaded my bike with my nutrition bottles and kept my sweats on as long as possible before the start
Event warmup:

Swam a couple hundred yards from the boat ramp to the swim start area.
Swim
  • 1h 34m 11s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

2 loop swim in a "protected" area of the Chesapeake Bay. It was a triangular course. The out and cross legs of the course were no problem, cruised right along and stayed on course. The back leg of the swim was tough. It was closest to the open water side of the "protected" area. Some decent waves in there mixed with trying to sight into the rising sun make staying on course difficult. I drifted off course a few times during this leg (x2).

All in all I had a good swim. Since this was more or less a training day for me, I wasn't pushing very hard. Just cruising along and practicing my sighting.
What would you do differently?:

Will push a little harder for IMFL. I should be able to do this swim in 1:20 with proper sighting.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

Apparently my T1 time was pretty quick. I grabbed my bag and dumped it on the floor in the changing tent. All seats were taken, so I stripped my wetsuit standing up. Put all my gear on, packed my swimming stuff back in the bag and headed out.

Nothing, pretty standard here.
Bike
  • 5h 53m
  • 112 miles
  • 19.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a really good bike ride. Again since this was a training day for me, I really didn't push too hard. I hadn't yet ridden anything over 90 miles so I didn't want to burn my legs up.

I had to pee pretty bad coming out of the swim but figured I'd wait until the first bottle exchange at about mile 10. That came and there was no port o potty there =( I was livid. I was thinking here comes White Lake all over again. Luckily there was one at mile 20ish and I unloaded there and felt like a new man.

Had some nice unexpected tail wind for a portion of the course. That was a great boost. However, there was some sections of pretty decent head and cross winds as well. The whole course was windy really, in one direction or another.

When going into the wind, I just stayed in my power zones and didn't try to fight it too much. This really payed off towards the end of the ride as I was picking people off one after another. I hit my nutrition dead on and never really felt too fatigued. In hindsight, I probably could have pushed a bit harder and still ended up just fine but again I hadn't done the full distance before.

Just push a little harder, I know now for IMFL and I still have 6 weeks to train!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No T2 for me! Aqua Velo only! My T2 consisted of eating pizza and taking a hot shower!
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I did take off for a little run after the race and my legs felt great. I had to slow myself down as they really wanted to churn out a quick pace. I feel like I could have ran the marathon had it been my day to do so. Great mental boost with 6 weeks to go until IMFL!
Post race
Event comments:

Really fun low key Iron Distance race. Only about 450 people total and I think like 150 of those were Aqua Velo. The only thing I didn't like were the shirts. We got 3 which was cool, but two of them have advertising all over the back for some race in 2010 and the third one has the wrong distance for the Aqua Velo. It says 1.2 mile swim!! All in all though, I would probably do it again someday, maybe next ear as a tune up for IMAZ, who knows!

Last updated: 2008-12-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:34:11 | 4224 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:53:00 | 112 miles | 19.04 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 2 Loop course through Blackwater National Refuge
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-09-27 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Subject: Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon

2009-09-28 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2428243

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: RE: Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon

Great report!  Glad you enjoyed the race and felt it was a good training day for FL.  I felt the same way.

2009-09-28 9:33 AM

User image

Regular
Fantastic bike split! And I love your use of quotes around "protected", in terms of that mirror flat water we had for the swim.
2009-09-28 9:47 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Good job pushing in that wind.  It was relentless.    The chop on the third leg was a killer for sure. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon Rss Feed