Piranha Sports
49F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m
Overall Rank = 43/408
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/36
Pre-race routine:

Lunch around noon was burger, fresh onions, roasted red peppers, ketchup and hot mustard on a warm corn tortilla...with Ore-Ida seasoned fries.
Jay and I headed down to registration on Saturday and arrived around 3:30pm. Got back to Kim's parents around 4:30pm.
Dinner around 5:00pm the night before, pasta and parm-less chicken parm.
Awoke at 5:10...got outta bed around 5:20...showered, had 12 oz. of water...a couple sips of Gatorade G2, and a banana.

Event warmup:

Drove over to the event in Jay's Ravvie. Let me see if I can remember the playlist...Scraped, Better, Lose Yourself, and part of a Tupac song are what I remember (good stuff)...cold in the morning and dark as we arrived around 6:00am. Got my chip, got numbered, and headed to my station...down the row from Jay. I realized I forgot my racebelt and my bento box. (not horrible since it's a short race) I had a gel 40 minutes before the race. I took a whiz in the trees and downed another Orange Burst Gu-gel (expired 18 months ago! Uh-Oh!)before making the approximately 1/2 mile walk over to the beach in my wetsuit. Jay and I had some good laughs going over which definitely settled the butterflies. The cold was disappointing btw, as all the women seemed to be baring less skin this year! :(
Swim
  • 19m 25s
  • 440 yards
  • 04m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't really hit my stride until about the last orange buoy before the final yellow buoy.
What would you do differently?:

Honestly, I think I need to get my heart rate up just a bit before the event. Perhaps a jog on the beach next time or some warm-up swim strokes just before.
While overall I was satisfied with my effort (navigation was good without having to do much sighting), and I didn't really get kicked a lot while I did A LOT of kicking! I swear, I must have kicked 20 people...and not just once each! I kept kicking away until they moved! Funny stuff. :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I felt a lot more tired this year compared to '07 coming back from the swim...maybe because the swim was a lot more rough this year.

get the wetsuit off better. I used Pam spray...maybe not enough!
This transition was slower than '07's.
Bike
  • 39m 54s
  • 14 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

drinking amount must have been alright, had another expired Gu gel early on the bike. Had a G2 Gatorade cut with water about 80-20 mix (I should have gone more water than that)...and yes, I did have 2 episodes of regurg. on the bike.

No expired Gu gels...and regular GatorAde, not G2...my wife is great, she just didn't realize she picked up G2 instead of regular GatorAde.
While I would like to have beaten '07's 21.49 mph, overall, I'm happy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

maybe I'll try that riding with feet on top of shoes thing some day...
overall, again, slower than '07...a year of injury in between along with more longer/duration focused training this summer as opposed to the sprint training in late '07 definitely showed.

not have a strained calf going into a race. :(
Run
  • 22m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Unfortunately...the strained calf that stopped me from running since Friday, October 2nd hit me like a friggin monster as I came out of the gates. As it was happening I just couldn't get myself to believe I was hurting this badly on a race day. That's just never happened to me before. I really considered walking the run so I wouldn't hurt myself long-term. It was very depressing to know for a fact I didn't give my best performance. Actually, I think I did do the best with what I could. I pushed through the pain. One of my favorite parts of the run is the finish on a grassy field. It may sound corny, but I like to think I'm busting one loose for a long touchdown when I'm healthy. This time, I was making sure I didn't hit a hole or something...I couldn't really toe-off with my left leg due to the horrible calf strain throughout the run. On a positive note, my left knee gave me no problems at all through the race, and I was not even close to being tired at the end of the run. I HATE leaving extra gas in the tank.

hmm, being injured and not being able to push off with my left foot...yeah, I'll put that on my list of things not to be and do next time. :)
I will call it below average, not bad, based on the surprisingly good time on the run. I was so disheartened I didn't even look at my watch during the run...upon seeing results on the computer later that afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised.
Post race
Warm down:

After hobbling to the finish with my 3 year old running behind me, I hung with my fam. They needed to use the bathroom, so at that time, I went to grab an icepack. Jay was getting in from the bike when I got in from the run...I iced my calf and got video of Jay coming in to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

left calf strain on the run. rough water for the swim. no excuse for the bike other than I haven't been practicing sprint biking like I did in '07.

Event comments:

ANY race with my buddy Jay is a great race! Fortunately or unfortunately, CHTD may not happen for us in '10. Why? HIM and IM distance events are taking place in September, 2010. It will be a great year!
By the way, announced to Jay this weekend Kim and I are expecting our 3rd child in 2010. :)

Last updated: 2009-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:25 | 440 yards | 04m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 79/408
Performance: Average
To put that time into perspective, the #1 swimmer hit a 13:21. I believe they tack on the additional 1/4 mile+ back from the beach onto that time.
Suit: Orca sleeveless.
Course: south to north...good sized waves, I put medium, but they were decent sized enough to make me suck in some saltwater during the swim unfortunately!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:54 | 14 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Overall: 0/408
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: flat and fast with one drawbridge we hit twice, once out and once back in. speedbumps at the U.D. Marine Studies area were new this year (at least 3 of them).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:02 | 03.1 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 0/408
Performance: Below average
Course: through Cape Henlopen State Park. I love the scenery in Cape Henlopen State Park. It really is beautiful.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-12 8:28 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Cape Henlopen Triathlon

2009-10-12 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2456207

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Cape Henlopen Triathlon
Nice race! I looked for you, but, as you weren't wearing your Vikes jersey, I really had no frame of reference.
My Race Log
2009-10-13 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2456207

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Cape Henlopen Triathlon

Nice race Brian!  especially with coming back from your injuries and dealing with that bum calf.  And congrats on the expected baby...great news!

My Race Log
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cape Henlopen Triathlon Rss Feed