Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Trying to become the world's fattest woman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-03-16 2:07 AM
in reply to: #2728076

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: Trying to become the world's fattest woman

TriAya - 2010-03-15 1:45 PM Clearly, the lady has serious physical, mental, and emotional problems.

However.

I can oddly relate to feeling better when fat. People (especially men) look at you differently when you're slim. They treat you differently. I've been fat most of my life. It's comfortable. It's not threatening. It's almost like it literally insulates you from the world.

Silver Bullet - 2010-03-15 8:43 PM
trinnas - 2010-03-15 2:52 PM
pitt83 - 2010-03-15 2:48 PM Worse yet: Read the comments section. To think that people can be so hateful is a sad commentary on our human existance. Do we REALLY treat each other this way? I fear for society if any of these are in-line or appropriate.

Wear a fat suit for a day you will find the answer is a resounding yes.  Shoot you don't even have to wear a fat suit and just watch people and you will see the answer is a resounding yes.  It is truely sad.

Heck, you don't even have to leave this site -- just keep an eye on Tri Talk and Athenas/Clydes. Some variation on "big/fat/slow/old/unserious people are gross and should get out of my way" or "A/C is just the self-esteem club for fat people that ruins my pure clean sport" should be along shortly. 

People (in general) will really fight tooth and nail for their "right" to look down on people who aren't naturally thin, fit, or athletic, and for the "truth" that you're a better person than someone who weighs more/eats worse/exercises less than you. 

I have combined these for a reason.  

As Yanti states, she is truly troubled.

I think she is trying to put herself on another “scale” of judgement, one that she can succeed on – one that removes her failure to be thin and be successful to be fat.   She is just saying “pi$$ off- I live in a different world, and the rules are different, and I win!”.

I can also understand the desire to say “pi$$ off”.   Yes, “we” really treat each other this way.   I have been “oinked” at from moving cars while walking in my neighborhood.  I was probably 5’7”; 160 lbs at the time – and I am pretty solid.   “I know she is a cow, but I’d fu@& her” was the comment.   I know, I should perceive it as a reflection of the dude in the truck (not a titan of social skills), not  me, but I sure still remember it quite clearly.   As a result, I dismiss these guys as underlings to myself in theintellegence/educational realm.  But for all I know, they are all PhD’s, but I fell into the desire to put them below myself on some scale.

The treatment of plus sized people while shopping is dreadful.   I fell drastically once from a size 14 to 8 in just 6 weeks  (living in a camp with bad water).   I sure lost faith in mankind that year.

Anyway – it is awful what this woman is doing to herself and her family.  I hope she gets the help she needs soon.

Edited by bootygirl 2010-03-16 2:12 AM

2010-03-16 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2728336

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
bootygirl - 2010-03-16 3:07 AM

TriAya - 2010-03-15 1:45 PM Clearly, the lady has serious physical, mental, and emotional problems.

However.

I can oddly relate to feeling better when fat. People (especially men) look at you differently when you're slim. They treat you differently. I've been fat most of my life. It's comfortable. It's not threatening. It's almost like it literally insulates you from the world.

Silver Bullet - 2010-03-15 8:43 PM
trinnas - 2010-03-15 2:52 PM
pitt83 - 2010-03-15 2:48 PM Worse yet: Read the comments section. To think that people can be so hateful is a sad commentary on our human existance. Do we REALLY treat each other this way? I fear for society if any of these are in-line or appropriate.

Wear a fat suit for a day you will find the answer is a resounding yes.  Shoot you don't even have to wear a fat suit and just watch people and you will see the answer is a resounding yes.  It is truely sad.

Heck, you don't even have to leave this site -- just keep an eye on Tri Talk and Athenas/Clydes. Some variation on "big/fat/slow/old/unserious people are gross and should get out of my way" or "A/C is just the self-esteem club for fat people that ruins my pure clean sport" should be along shortly. 

People (in general) will really fight tooth and nail for their "right" to look down on people who aren't naturally thin, fit, or athletic, and for the "truth" that you're a better person than someone who weighs more/eats worse/exercises less than you. 

I have combined these for a reason.  

As Yanti states, she is truly troubled.

I think she is trying to put herself on another “scale” of judgement, one that she can succeed on – one that removes her failure to be thin and be successful to be fat.   She is just saying “pi$$ off- I live in a different world, and the rules are different, and I win!”.

I can also understand the desire to say “pi$$ off”.   Yes, “we” really treat each other this way.   I have been “oinked” at from moving cars while walking in my neighborhood.  I was probably 5’7”; 160 lbs at the time – and I am pretty solid.   “I know she is a cow, but I’d fu@& her” was the comment.   I know, I should perceive it as a reflection of the dude in the truck (not a titan of social skills), not  me, but I sure still remember it quite clearly.   As a result, I dismiss these guys as underlings to myself in theintellegence/educational realm.  But for all I know, they are all PhD’s, but I fell into the desire to put them below myself on some scale.

The treatment of plus sized people while shopping is dreadful.   I fell drastically once from a size 14 to 8 in just 6 weeks  (living in a camp with bad water).   I sure lost faith in mankind that year.

Anyway – it is awful what this woman is doing to herself and her family.  I hope she gets the help she needs soon.

Well written. I've read it a couple times now and appreciate your points. Yanti offers a perspective I hadn't considered in that, by molding your appearance, it allows you to fade to the shadows if you want to.

It's not just this one issue to which I raise the civility card. It's everywhere.

We, as a society, have seemingly no desire to treat each other with civility, respect and without passing judgement. Everyone MUST have a label and be of lesser status than you on some level. Credit, employment, living condition, race (though this is now taboo, it still exists), what have you. Our first and strongest reaction to anyone we encounter is, "OMG, they're such a ____" to make us feel better about ourselves.

Enough already. I'm not buying into it. I refuse to cave to the pressure of demeaning others I don't know to feel better about myself. A decent ribbing between aquaintances or friends is one thing, but the primal reaction of "I'm better than you"; not going to happen here.

Now then, guess I need to go delete all my TAN postings now....

Edited by pitt83 2010-03-16 6:57 AM
2010-03-16 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2727365

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan

Pector55 - 2010-03-15 3:25 PM

...and once she hits 1000 lbs we can all chip in and pay for her healthcare. 

x3

I understand she has the right to do what she wants with her body, but this really pisses me off.  Oh well, such is life.

2010-03-16 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2727212

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-16 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2728523

Master
Fulton, MD
Syaotblh - 2010-03-16 8:55 AM 12000 calories = 56 krispy creme glazed donuts

Well, when you say it that way it doesn't seem so bad...
2010-03-16 9:19 AM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

As sad as this story is to read, I did find a SNERK in this quote,

"I'd love to be 1,000lb. It might be hard though. Running after my daughter keeps my weight down."

Ummmm....keep her weight down to what?  1/4 ton?

2010-03-16 10:22 AM

2010-03-16 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2728837

This is why I am against the government being involved in healthcare. I think she has the right to be 1,000 lbs. However, I should not have to pay for it.

I doubt any study has looked at extreme cases like this, but I wonder statistically how much more unhealthy this lifestyle is compared to smoking or riding motorcycles without a helmet.

2010-03-16 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2729022

Champion
New York, NY
eberulf - 2010-03-16 12:18 PM This is why I am against the government being involved in healthcare. I think she has the right to be 1,000 lbs. However, I should not have to pay for it. I doubt any study has looked at extreme cases like this, but I wonder statistically how much more unhealthy this lifestyle is compared to smoking or riding motorcycles without a helmet.

but the problem is you DO pay for it.  And a private insurer will stick it to you more.  And if she has no coverage the hospital makes it up with paying patients.....get it?
2010-03-16 11:59 AM

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
eberulf - 2010-03-16 12:18 PM This is why I am against the government being involved in healthcare. I think she has the right to be 1,000 lbs. However, I should not have to pay for it. I doubt any study has looked at extreme cases like this, but I wonder statistically how much more unhealthy this lifestyle is compared to smoking or riding motorcycles without a helmet.

I don't even know if you need to see statistics to know this lifestyle is worse.

One doesn't see too many obese 70, 80-year olds.  But you do see quite a few 70, 80 year-old smokers.
2010-03-16 12:02 PM

Payson, AZ
eberulf - 2010-03-16 9:18 AM This is why I am against the government being involved in healthcare. I think she has the right to be 1,000 lbs. However, I should not have to pay for it. I doubt any study has looked at extreme cases like this, but I wonder statistically how much more unhealthy this lifestyle is compared to smoking or riding motorcycles without a helmet.

Hum, your going to pay for it either way, private or government run healthcare. 

2010-03-16 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2729124

Melon Presser
newleaf - 2010-03-17 1:59 AM

I don't even know if you need to see statistics to know this lifestyle is worse.

One doesn't see too many obese 70, 80-year olds.  But you do see quite a few 70, 80 year-old smokers.

There are also lots of 70 to 80 year olds all over the world who have been riding motorbikes without helmets their whole lives.
2010-03-16 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2728837

Champion
PA
Sharyn5 - 2010-03-16 11:22 AM

I'm still trying to get my head around that her husband ''encourages'' this.

I agree with you.  When someone called out that she has a mental issue, all I could think was that whatever the husband has, it's 10x worse.
2010-03-16 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2729095

Champion
PA
TriToy - 2010-03-16 12:48 PM

but the problem is you DO pay for it.  And a private insurer will stick it to you more.  And if she has no coverage the hospital makes it up with paying patients.....get it?

...which is why there needs to be insurance reform, not health reform.  The collective society thing is garbage because there is zero incentive for me to care about my own health since the money is pooled like this.  Government is no solution because you just introduce more inefficiencies while continuing to offer zero incentive to live a healthier lifestyle. 

Health insurance should be no different than car insurance.  Healthy, low-risk people should pay less.  If your goal in life it to break all the scooters at the local Wal-Mart, you better get a job at the insurance company to work off your premiums.

While we are at it, throw in torte reform to end frivilous lawsuits and poof!  Rates will stop the rapid climb.  If not, I'll simply stop paying and cry broke like everyone else just to play the game.
2010-03-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2729241

Champion
New York, NY
Pector55 - 2010-03-16 1:47 PM
TriToy - 2010-03-16 12:48 PM

...which is why there needs to be insurance reform, not health reform.  The collective society thing is garbage because there is zero incentive for me to care about my own health since the money is pooled like this.  Government is no solution because you just introduce more inefficiencies while continuing to offer zero incentive to live a healthier lifestyle. 

Health insurance should be no different than car insurance.  Healthy, low-risk people should pay less.  If your goal in life it to break all the scooters at the local Wal-Mart, you better get a job at the insurance company to work off your premiums.

While we are at it, throw in torte reform to end frivilous lawsuits and poof!  Rates will stop the rapid climb.  If not, I'll simply stop paying and cry broke like everyone else just to play the game.

but preventative care is a way to educate patients - preferably from an early age.  So I still hold that as a society we should cover preventative and true emergent care.
2010-03-16 1:20 PM

2010-03-16 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2729354

Champion
PA
Sharyn5 - 2010-03-16 2:20 PM I used to sell personal lines insurance, and take life insurance for example...a person is ''rated'' a higher rate depending on weight, if he/she smokes, if he she bungee jumps, etc...the riskier your life style, the higher your rate will be. If we want true reform in healthcare--and we want america to become healthier--rate people for health insurance, like we do for life insurance. This story we're reading about here, wouldn't be happening, unless she wants to pay 20x the rate one of us would pay. I think that we should become more accountable, individually, for our choices. If you make lifestyle changes for the better? Your rates come down. Now, there are genetic conditions, etc that are somewhat out of our control. I heard a doctor say once...''genetics loads the gun, but WE pull the trigger.'' Just my ramblings for the day.

You are an excellent "rambler."  Once again, I am in agreement with you.
2010-03-16 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2729354

Pro
Irvine, California
Sharyn5 - 2010-03-16 11:20 AM I used to sell personal lines insurance, and take life insurance for example...a person is ''rated'' a higher rate depending on weight, if he/she smokes, if he she bungee jumps, etc...the riskier your life style, the higher your rate will be. If we want true reform in healthcare--and we want america to become healthier--rate people for health insurance, like we do for life insurance. This story we're reading about here, wouldn't be happening, unless she wants to pay 20x the rate one of us would pay. I think that we should become more accountable, individually, for our choices. If you make lifestyle changes for the better? Your rates come down. Now, there are genetic conditions, etc that are somewhat out of our control. I heard a doctor say once...''genetics loads the gun, but WE pull the trigger.'' Just my ramblings for the day.

Even though I believe in universal healthcare, I have no problem with segmenting the population into risk pools, and adjusting rates (within reason).  Slim, healthy, and don't smoke?  Low risk pool.  Obese, couch-potato, and smoke?  High risk pool.

Obviously we want to incentivize people to do what's healthy for them.

2010-03-16 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2729604

2010-03-16 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2729634

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Sharyn5 - 2010-03-16 3:48 PM
Tripolar - 2010-03-16 2:41 PM
Sharyn5 - 2010-03-16 11:20 AM I used to sell personal lines insurance, and take life insurance for example...a person is ''rated'' a higher rate depending on weight, if he/she smokes, if he she bungee jumps, etc...the riskier your life style, the higher your rate will be. If we want true reform in healthcare--and we want america to become healthier--rate people for health insurance, like we do for life insurance. This story we're reading about here, wouldn't be happening, unless she wants to pay 20x the rate one of us would pay. I think that we should become more accountable, individually, for our choices. If you make lifestyle changes for the better? Your rates come down. Now, there are genetic conditions, etc that are somewhat out of our control. I heard a doctor say once...''genetics loads the gun, but WE pull the trigger.'' Just my ramblings for the day.

Even though I believe in universal healthcare, I have no problem with segmenting the population into risk pools, and adjusting rates (within reason).  Slim, healthy, and don't smoke?  Low risk pool.  Obese, couch-potato, and smoke?  High risk pool.

Yep. I'm not sure why we feel as a society, that we are somehow not in control of our health. I had a friend who went into medicine, and she said unfortunately, a lot of ''modern medicine,'' teaches a reactive approach...a symptom masker approach. Not a healing from the root cause approach. I don't discard modern medicine, but I believe in alternative medicine moreso. I believe that God gave us so many healing foods and herbs on this planet, we just don't tap into those sources enough.

Not to get into a debate, but are you for the current universal healthcare reform bill? I agree that reform is needed, but this current bill scares me!

if we actually ate the foods God put on the earth we'd be a lot healthier to begin with...but that's way more of a hijack than this discussion already is...
2010-03-16 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2729604

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Tripolar - 2010-03-16 3:41 PM

Hmm it's amazing how many skinny athletic people I see in physical therepy and in the orthopedics waiting room on my way to my own physical therapy.  If you are a skiier how high should your risk be?  How about a football player?  By the way you forgot to add old into your high risk pool.  How about adding family history into your high risk pool as well?  If you have a high risk for breast cancer either get a prophylactic mastectomy (as a friend of mine did) or you are in the high risk pool.  I wonder how far people are willing to push it, I wonder how far they will become willing to push it.

2010-03-16 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2729634

Champion
Sharyn5 -

Yep. I'm not sure why we feel as a society, that we are somehow not in control of our health. I had a friend who went into medicine, and she said unfortunately, a lot of ''modern medicine,'' teaches a reactive approach...a symptom masker approach. Not a healing from the root cause approach. I don't discard modern medicine, but I believe in alternative medicine moreso. I believe that God gave us so many healing foods and herbs on this planet, we just don't tap into those sources enough.

I hear this a lot and don't really get it.  What exactly is "preventative medicine"?  Eat less and exercise more.  Limit stress in your life.  There ya go.  Good luck trying to get anybody to listen to you.

I just don't see how that leads to the conclusion that alternative medicine is the answer.
2010-03-16 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2729681

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
DerekL - 2010-03-16 4:01 PM
Sharyn5 -

I hear this a lot and don't really get it.  What exactly is "preventative medicine"?  Eat less and exercise more.  Limit stress in your life.  There ya go.  Good luck trying to get anybody to listen to you.

I just don't see how that leads to the conclusion that alternative medicine is the answer.

Eat an apple a day?
2010-03-16 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2729716

2010-03-16 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2729671

Pro
Irvine, California
trinnas - 2010-03-16 12:59 PM
Tripolar - 2010-03-16 3:41 PM

Hmm it's amazing how many skinny athletic people I see in physical therepy and in the orthopedics waiting room on my way to my own physical therapy.  If you are a skiier how high should your risk be?  How about a football player?  By the way you forgot to add old into your high risk pool.  How about adding family history into your high risk pool as well?  If you have a high risk for breast cancer either get a prophylactic mastectomy (as a friend of mine did) or you are in the high risk pool.  I wonder how far people are willing to push it, I wonder how far they will become willing to push it.

Obviously figuring out the risk pools is harder than I suggested.  But we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  There are clear cases of volitional behaviors people engage in that put them at higher risk.  Smoking, alcoholism, doing drugs, overeating to the point of obesity, engaging in sports with far greater likelihood of severe injury (racing cars, hang-gliding, etc.).  Likewise, there are volitional behaviors that lower risk -- eating well, maintaining a good weight, getting plenty of exercise.

Other categories are much thornier of course -- age (older folks tend to have more problems), race (greater susceptibility to certain diseases), illnesses stemming from heredity/genetics, kids with type 1 diabetes, or cancers not linked to lifestyle, etc., etc.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Trying to become the world's fattest woman Rss Feed  

of 3