Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2012-04-03 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!

That's a busy weekend Sandra, hope the weather is nice for you.  I've got a 45-50mi HILLY bike ride planned with some friends on Sat and a long run on Sun.  Then have some family over for a late lunch and I'll be grilling up some fajitas. 

Can you believe that Sandra's last post was post #2500 for us and that we are getting close to breaking 100,000 for page views!  Crazy!

2012-04-03 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4127586

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Holy Moly that is a lot of posts and views!! I hope for good weather too, since I woke up to snow last Sunday...sigh

2012-04-04 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Morning workout question...

for you morning workout people.  When you first started did you notice that your speed/times were slower than if you worked out later in the day.  I've only done a few morning runs in the past but I can never seem to keep the same pace with my afternoon runs.  Well, for the next few weeks I am going to be doing morning swims and started this morning.  I swam at the same intensity as I normally would and pushed myself by doing 3 x 500y segments.  I would normally do these at a 1:50 pace but today I was struggling to stay under a 2:00 pace.  For me a 2:00 pace is my recovery pace.

Is this just because I am not a morning person, and my body is not used to these early morning workouts?  Will this get better in just a few weeks?  Is swimming at my "recovery" pace really helping me much?

I am going to do another morning swim Fri morning and am curious to see if the issue still exists.

2012-04-04 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4129595

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
chichitao - 2012-04-04 10:58 AM

Morning workout question...

for you morning workout people.  When you first started did you notice that your speed/times were slower than if you worked out later in the day.  I've only done a few morning runs in the past but I can never seem to keep the same pace with my afternoon runs.  Well, for the next few weeks I am going to be doing morning swims and started this morning.  I swam at the same intensity as I normally would and pushed myself by doing 3 x 500y segments.  I would normally do these at a 1:50 pace but today I was struggling to stay under a 2:00 pace.  For me a 2:00 pace is my recovery pace.

Is this just because I am not a morning person, and my body is not used to these early morning workouts?  Will this get better in just a few weeks?  Is swimming at my "recovery" pace really helping me much?

I am going to do another morning swim Fri morning and am curious to see if the issue still exists.

I think I was actually faster in the mornings!  The evening workouts were hard on me because I was already so tired from the day.  I'm sure you'll get used to it if you keep it up.  I miss my morning workouts a ton because they always woke me up for the day!  

Keep doing what you're doing, you'll gain a lot from it.  

On an unrelated note, I went to the eye doctor today because I got contacts last week, and he wanted to see how they were doing.  Well, my eyes have been itching like CRAZY since I started wearing them, and I don't have allergies.  Turns out, my tear ducts don't work properly!  How weird is that?  So I got a new brand to see if those feel better, and if not, then I just have to wear glasses all the time.  I laughed so hard when I found out because it's NOT that big of a deal to me at all (especially since my eyes aren't THAT bad, and I can do a lot without glasses anyway), but it's just a funny way for mother nature to kick me while I'm down. Tongue out

Also, I have an appointment with another PT on Friday.  He told me he'd give me a free consult to see if he thinks my current PT is doing the right things to help me, and that way, I'll know if my rehab problems are a PT issue or just me.  Since things have been not going well for me, I thought I'd get a second opinion by another reputable place in town.  Fun!

2012-04-05 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Man Erica, things just keep on coming don't they.  I don't think I could handle contacts.  I don't like anything in or near my eyes. 

I am glad you are getting a 2nd opinion on the knee.  I know it is bad to say but I hope the first PT person just doesn't know what they are doing.  At least that way maybe this new person can get some better results as opposed to having to go back into the knee for more work.

So we had our work weigh-in yesterday and I am back in the lead.  I am now down 16lbs and am at 204, hoping to be around 200 for the race.  I think I have a good chance b/c I have my wife on board with eating well for the month (well, except for her bday on the 13th!). 

2012-04-05 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4131530

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Erica, you really are being dealt a lot at a time when you should just be able to be focused on completing your final semester and graduating!  Glad that the contact thing isn't a big deal for you.  Really happy you are getting a second opinion, always helpful in these situations, I also hope the issue is as simple as not getting the right rehab and you get back on track to full recovery.

Tim, I can't be of any help on the early morning work outs.  I enjoy working out in the morning, but only if I can get up a minimum of 90 minutes before hand and have a shower, which I cannot do on a weekday. So it is evening  workouts for me.  AND well done on being back on top of the weight loss competition, staying on track is so much easier when your SO is on board with it.  I have every confidence you will get to that goal for race day!

I hope everyone has a great Easter Weekend!! 

2012-04-08 2:12 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Happy Easter, everyone!!!  I hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend, as we are.  My FIL and BIL came for the night, and I made a big Easter dinner last night, and it turned out GREAT, which I'm happy about.  I love cooking for people!  

And, in a huge turn of events in my crazy life, WE ARE MOVING TO PORTLAND!  Ryan got a job offer(!) from Daimler, so once we find out his start date and I graduate, we'll be on our way!  It's insanity!  Now, there's lots of pressure on me to pass the bar exam and find a job.  I swear, my life is nonstop.  So now, we are trying to sell almost all our furniture to make the move easier/cheaper. 

Also, I decided to switch PTs (at least for the next 8 weeks or so until we move!).  I went to see this new guy on Friday, and he really made me feel a lot more comfortable.  My other PT never touches my knee at all, and he actually worked with it to see what else needed to be improved.  Immediately after we left his office, Ryan goes "you're going to see him from now on, I think."  And I agree! 

2012-04-10 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4136761

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

That is great news Erica!  Congrats to you guys and Ryan on the new job.  Talk about a whirlwind of change.  So when is your bar?

And I REALLY hope this PT can do something more for you.  It's time to get you all healed up and ready for the new life in Oregon!

We too had some family over for easter and did the big meal.  It was fun and I ate a bit much, but that is why I am working out!  I got in a 3.5hr bike, 9mi run, and OWS this weekend and I am feeling pretty good about my fitness level.  I just have one more week now of big workouts then it is taper time.  Going to go ride the bike course this Sat, get a 10-11mi run in, and will also try to get one more OWS in.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Happy Tuesday!

2012-04-10 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4140203

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

That is some pretty exciting news Erica!  Congrats to Ryan on the new job and good luck to you with the bar and preparing to move and find a new job in your new town.  I too hope this new PT will be able to help you move forward with your recovery from the surgery.  Time to make progress and get back to where you were fitness wise before the surgery! 

Tim glad you are feeling so good about your workouts and your upcoming HIM, you are doing great and missing that week being sick was probably a good recovery time to get you ready for these last big workouts! You are going to be awesome!!

2012-04-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4142300

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

It's been pretty quiet around here, what is everyone up to? 

I had a bit of a tough week, last week, with my boss being let go and getting a new one, so the stress factor has been high, meeting the new boss and then having to work late to deal with some last minute demands with a completion date of Monday morning(eastern time).  But I managed to let that all go Saturday morning as I did my run/bike run workout, followed by coffee with the girls and then off for a 1h45 min dog walk up a mountain in Golden Ears Park with a couple of friends. The legs were still in good shape on Sunday for my long run with 2 tempo runs in the middle, felt good enough to head out on another 1:45 dog walk, but this time stayed on the flats of the dykes and enjoyed the sunshine.

Hope everyone is keeping well

2012-04-17 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

It has been very quiet.  That does sound like a tough week to deal with Sandra, but looking at your logs you would never know anything was up.  You did well with your workouts and those long ones on the weekend looked really nice.  Is that dog walk/climb anything like the Grouse?  You dog has enough energy for that distance/time?

I too had a tough week.  We had a co-worker (not someone I worked with directly or knew) that was murdered and we had the funeral and all that entails last week.  Plus it was my peak workout week and I ended up working out 12hrs last week.  By far my biggest week I have ever done.  I got in a 4hr, 57mi bike ride on Sat, took Sun off then did an 11mi run and a swim yesterday.  Time to begin my taper, although today is a 24mi bike/4.6mi run brick.

My bike ride this past weekend was on my tri course, and I discovered it is going to be a tough one.  Roads are rough, 2000ft of climbing, and some tough hills throughout.  I am really going to have to pace myself and save some for the run, b/c the run is also on the same bike course and is very hilly too.  So much for being an "easy" first race!

Hope this finds everyone well.

2012-04-17 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4155112

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Wow, murdered, that is rough, so sorry for the family and friends who have lost someone in that way, senseless.

Sounds like it was a good thing you went to ride the course, so that you can plan your strategy for attacking that course on race day, 2000ft...ouch and you have to run that too, wow. That being said, you have worked hard for this and you have everything you need in you to complete this successfully! 

The walk I do with the dog is no where near the incline of the Grouse Grind. There are some steeper hills, but mostly the trail we were on rolls up and up and up.  Buckley(my dog) was pretty much done at the end of the walk, he wouldn't jump up on the seat of the car, but rather crawled onto the floor and sat there for the car ride home. He was a lump for quite a while that evening, but was recovered by the next day, but we kept it flat for that one.  He's been slowly building his stamina up with regular long walks on the weekend and every Thursday he goes to a Doggy Daycare where he gets to play outside all day with lots of dogs and often a few of the dogs that we walk with on the weekends.  He is now fully socialized, is able to walk off leash with the pack, and has learned how to swim and play, I have no idea of what his life before we got him was like, but I can't imagine it was very good, so it feels really great that my hard work and patience has payed off for both of us. 

I do love where I live, mountains and lakes in easy reach for great walks and trail running and swimming(in the summer, one is a glacier lake, brrrr), lot's of bike lanes/routes, some incredibly scenic road running routes and a great community of people to do all of the above with. 

chichitao - 2012-04-17 5:45 AM

It has been very quiet.  That does sound like a tough week to deal with Sandra, but looking at your logs you would never know anything was up.  You did well with your workouts and those long ones on the weekend looked really nice.  Is that dog walk/climb anything like the Grouse?  You dog has enough energy for that distance/time?

I too had a tough week.  We had a co-worker (not someone I worked with directly or knew) that was murdered and we had the funeral and all that entails last week.  Plus it was my peak workout week and I ended up working out 12hrs last week.  By far my biggest week I have ever done.  I got in a 4hr, 57mi bike ride on Sat, took Sun off then did an 11mi run and a swim yesterday.  Time to begin my taper, although today is a 24mi bike/4.6mi run brick.

My bike ride this past weekend was on my tri course, and I discovered it is going to be a tough one.  Roads are rough, 2000ft of climbing, and some tough hills throughout.  I am really going to have to pace myself and save some for the run, b/c the run is also on the same bike course and is very hilly too.  So much for being an "easy" first race!

Hope this finds everyone well.

2012-04-18 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

I am here, alive but barely.  Phew, I can breathe now just a little bit.  I can't believe yesterday was the end of filing season and I had to call out sick today.  Good thing my dad knew what was running through our family or he never would have believed me.  He had a cold two weeks ago, I got it last week and can't seem to shake it.  I actually started with it the day before Easter so today is day 12.  And now Logan is sick.  I was up with him the past three nights but last night was awful.  He was wide awake from 2-6 so I was awake too.  Being a mom sucks on nights like last night.  So between me feeling like crap and now getting no sleep, I called out today.  My dad is not always understanding when i am out sick, especially because of the kids.  His thought is my mom watches them so she can take care of them while they are sick.  I have to run Joe up to school at 8:30 and I am hoping Logan and I will sleep all morning but I am not very hopeful. 

Life has been good lately.  We have been dealing with some family issues for the past 6 months but everything is moving in the right direction.  Being a public forum, I am not going to post many details but I am thrilled with how relationships are these days.  My weight is holding steady and for the most part I am ok with it.  Ideally I would love to lose another 10 but I am pretty happy where I am.  I started hitting the books last week for the Auditing section of the CPA exam and really buckled down this week. 

I got outside for my first ride of the season.  It was short but it was so nice.  I rode my bike last weekend with the boys and knew I had to get it in for its yearly tuneup.  I love that both my boys can ride bikes without training wheels.  We took a family bike ride to the corner store last weekend.  I have to get used to riding my bike with regular sneakers on.  When I bought the road bike, we took the hybrid to the beach and it will stay there.  I picked up my bike yesterday at lunch time and was planning on a trainer ride after the boys went to bed.  At 7:18 I wondered outloud if I could get a quick ride in before it was too dark.  John checked on his phone and sunset was 7:42.  I was out the door in minutes.  It was a little more than 7 miles and I was definitely out a little too late but it was nice to be out.

I am so happy tax season is done and I can catch up a little more.  most of my internet time is at work and I just did not have the time the last few weeks.

2012-04-18 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4157473

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Glad to see you back Meggan and glad to hear that you made it through filing season, and that all is well with the family, well aside from the kids being sick:-)

Nice that both the boys are riding their bikes and that it is something you can all do together, I wish I had been fit when Lauren was younger, so that it was more in her nature to be active.  We are working on it, but like most things to teenagers, she likes the idea of exercise and its result, but not the getting out the door to actually do it on her own:p 

Good luck with the studies!

2012-04-18 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I can't remember if I posted it here but Logan taught himself how to ride without training wheels in 10 minutes a few weeks ago. He was a few days shy of 3 years and 9 months old.
2012-04-18 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4157991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Wow, that is amazing Meggan, guess he must have a natural apptitude for cycling and a good solid core for balance. 

2012-04-18 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
That and determination. I told him he was too little and he said he was not.
2012-04-18 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4158091

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Mrschach - 2012-04-18 10:33 AM That and determination. I told him he was too little and he said he was not.

The reverse psychology in full effect!  Good for him, the next Lance.

Glad you made it thru the tough tax and cold season.  We had that same cold bug come thru about a month ago and knocked everyone out.  It was a bugger this year. 

It's amazing what a little outdoor time and ride can do for our psyche. 

2012-04-19 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

So I am now officially only 10 days away!!  I can now start checking on the 10-day weather forecast and hope that we have good weather that day.  As of right now it is showing 66-85, mostly sunny, with 5-10mph wind...so absolutely perfect!  I will be keeping an eye on it, but so far so good.

I have a brick today, a good swim tomorrow, then 40mi bike on Sat.  Then I get 2 full days off (not sure what those are) then a few light sessions next week.  I plan on getting a sports massage sometime next week as well to work out any lingering kinks in the legs.

Boy this race got here quick!

Edited by chichitao 2012-04-19 10:49 AM
2012-04-19 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4160251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

So excited for you Tim!  Enjoy the taper and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to have perfect racing weather on race day! Don't forget to carb up and hydrate all next week!

This weekend I have a 2 hr run on Saturday and because my training partner has to work, we are running at 5AM!!  I don't how that is going to go, but I hope that it will all feel like a dream and not a nightmare;-)  Sunday I have a 2 1/2 hr ride and a 30 minute run, should be a good weekend!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2012-04-19 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4160533

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
corstan - 2012-04-19 11:13 AM

So excited for you Tim!  Enjoy the taper and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to have perfect racing weather on race day! Don't forget to carb up and hydrate all next week!

So if I drink a lot of beer that covers both carbing up and hydrating right?!

2012-04-19 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4160568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Make it dark beer and you get your protien too:p

chichitao - 2012-04-19 9:25 AM

2012-04-19 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4160690

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Yes Oracle!

corstan - 2012-04-19 12:07 PM

Make it dark beer and you get your protien too:p

chichitao - 2012-04-19 9:25 AM

2012-04-19 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

How is everyone doing lately?  I've been poking my head in and out here, but I'm so busy (like always), so I haven't had time to post much.  

Tim, I cannot believe you're so close to the race!  Super excited for you!  Enjoy your carbo-loading.

Meggan, I was thinking about you a lot the last couple weeks, what with tax season and all!  I hope you get better quickly now that you can rest a bit.  I'm so impressed with your kids knowing how to ride their bikes so young, too!  My 7 year old cousin that I lived with in Portland last semester still cannot ride a bike, which frustrates me to no end!!!  He has a scooter-bike thing (like a strider, kind of), and he still falls off that all the time.  I feel bad that all his friends are out riding their bikes, and he still often rides in a bike trailer.  So, clearly you did a good job teaching them!

We are getting ready for the big move, and things have been nuts.  So much has been happening that I'm just overwhelmed!  I'll be a licensed attorney in Wisconsin in 4.5 weeks though, and I just keep telling myself that.  We have NOTHING nailed down for the move yet; no movers, no plans, no apartment, etc.  I have no idea where to start to find movers.  Insane!

Also, I LOVE my new PT, he's the best.  My knee is already feeling a bit better.  I am DYING to run or go on a REAL bike ride, so I'm really hoping it heals quickly.  

I also tried out some sweet mountain bikes the last couple weeks, and we're going to buy one for each of us when we get to Portland!  Even though I can't ride hard yet, the mountain biking in Portland is super awesome, so I can't wait to hit those trails!  I honestly see that being one of my favorite hobbies because it's so exciting.

That's all for now.  I'll try to be around a bit more (until I have to start studying for the Oregon Bar Exam!).  Have a great weekend!

2012-04-20 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey all! I know I have been MIA. Work has been crazy, I am in charge of state testing and we have been prepping and giving the test the last 6 weeks. The kids finally were done yesterday and now I pack them up and get them out of here! And my photography business has really taken off. I have been doing 3-4 shoots a week! Great, but super busy.

I have hit a plateau with weight loss. I have gained and lost the same 1.5 lbs for the last month. I guess silver lining is that I am not gaining, but feeling blah about it all.

Pelvic bone is still bothering me. I went two full weeks with no pain and I was so excited and then it decided to creep back in there. Mostly at night, but Ugh! And any type of working out makes the night pain even worse. It doesn't hurt while I am doing the workout, but man I can't sleep at all on those nights. And I think what makes it worse is that I haven't changed anything. Been doing the same thing for the last 3 months. Go back to the PT today and am thinking about seeing a chiropractor because I can tell I am just not aligned. And PT does not seem to be working.

I haven't been able to run with our GOTR team. We did volunteer for the GO! St. Louis Marathon last Sunday. it was pretty cool for the girls (3rd-5th grade) to see people running a marathon. We were at mile 21 and those girls cheered on every runner as they came through our water station.

Family is great. My sweet little Stella is going to be 6 months old next week. I am so blessed in that area of my life. I don't know what I would do with out my sweet girls. They make me smile everyday!

Hope everyone is doing well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103