AA sports
58F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 39m
Overall Rank = 198/404
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 24/35
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 am ate a bowl of Cherrios and a bananna and drove to Race Site about 1.5 hours away. Had to ride in the rain from the parking lot to the Transition Area about 1.5 miles. Tried to do some stretching but hard to find a dry area.
Event warmup:

Stretched. No opportunity to get a good swim in. Basically dipped in the water and they pulled us out to start. Used the swim as my warmup.
Swim
  • 26m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out right off rthe bat and got into a good pace and started to find a person to draft. About half way to bouy one ended up alone and eventually ended up able to draft again as we got closer to bouy 1. Maintained contact with one person all the way to shore after bouy one. It was a great swim. This was my first Olympic Distance Race so I was pretty stoked when I got out of the water and checked my watch. Was shooting for anywhere between 27 and 28 mins. At the beginning I was actually thinking 30 min. sounded good.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I thought I had a pretty good swim and drafted well. Some minor drifting but my sighting every 8 or 9 strokes helped. Felt strong at the end.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

It was muddy as all get out. Put helmet on and glasses while stripping wetsuit. Should have just left the glasses. My calves were cramping up real bad while trying to put on my socks, but just kept at it and tried to stretch them out on the bike.

Try to stretch more before the swim and get a warm-up swim in to loosen my legs some.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Took as much advantage of any wind at my back I could in sections that allowed me to push the pace over 20 MPH. Was trying to average high 19's. Ended up in that range. Tried not to respond too much to other age groupers passing me and stay within myself and my planned race.

Need to get more miles in on the bike to be able to push the pace more. Given my run time I think I might have been able to push it a little harder than I did. However, it was my first Olympic Distance Race and I believe I made the right decision to stay with my original plan.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Forgot to take my phone out of my running shoe prior to the start of the race. Went to put my shoe on and there it was. Also my race number ripped away from my race belt and had to stop and reattach it to the bottom hole. Lost my Gu pouch as well as I went to put on my belt. Found it after the race laying one bike rack away.

Put everthing in its place before the race. Don't let the conditions alter your regular pre-race routines whensetting up your transition area. Use regular race belt with snaps and keep gu in back Trisuit pocket or one with water flasks or Gatorade Flasks. Use flasks regularly in training and kind of missed having one with me on the run.
Run
  • 52m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Wanted to run about a 9 min per mile pace in the first half. Came in under that by about a min or more. Used it at the turn around to take in electrolytes and walk for about 30 sec. Was able to get my heart rate down and maintain running form when I started running again. Second half I quickened my pace until about half mile left and then up'd the pace again. Passed two same age groupers in the last half mile. One of them tried to pull me back in at the end but I was too far ahead and was not about to let him catch me. Last year I may not have taken advantage of these opportunities for fear of bonking right at the end, but I generally have a pretty good feel for how far out I can begin up'ing my pace and finishing strong.

Where a flask belt and keep moving without having to stop and walk at turn around. Was able to gain ground I lost. Actually ran a strong race so may not have done anything differently this time. Good opportunity to evaluate after the race and get stronger and learn from how my body responded to the race overall. Need to develop a faster overall pace which will come with more mileage and speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

Too muddy to really do anything like short jog. Did end up riding back to the parking lot after the race 1.5 miles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More bike miles, run miles and having experience at Olympic Distance so I know how my body will respond.

Event comments:

Very muddy conditions. Well run race. Volunteers were somewhat subdued due to the conditions they were working in. Basically huddling up to stay warm and dry as possible; don't blame them especially the ones out on the bike route. The volunteers on the run were wonderful and cheering.

Last updated: 2010-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/35
Overall: 135/404
Performance: Good
Suit: XTERRA Vortex 3 Sleeveless
Course: Long straight away angular swim to bouy one and straigh away to bouy two with a shorter swim to shore line.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:40 | 24.85 miles | 20.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/35
Overall: 238/404
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Wet asphalt with large puddles on road. One section of the road had been milled prior to repaving and was kind of rough. Tried to stay way right on smooth sections as much as possible.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:52 | 06.21 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/35
Overall: 257/404
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back starting in Blue Lake Park transitioning to Marine Drive Bike Path and then to Marine Drive itself. A few slight inclines up and over roadway. Slippery and muddy in park area and very wet with large puddles along route.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 11:46 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon

2010-06-08 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2907320

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon
Great race, Brian!  Sounds like you executed your plan pretty much to perfection and I'd say based on your performance that you left just the right amount for the run.  There is probably some research about the right % over your best 10K time, but methinks that's a pretty good run time based on your 10K results earlier this year. 

On to the HIM!
2010-06-08 7:00 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Great race Brian!  Lose the socks!  Wink
2010-06-08 10:45 PM

User image

Portland, OR
I did the Blue Lake sprint on Saturday.  I must say that I admire you for doing the race in those conditions. 

Sounds like you had a great race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed