Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-09-14 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3052872

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Subject: RE: Beginner Cycling Program Group
ok...put in today's food in the nutrition log.  I've been logging in my foods on livestrong.com, so I've been measuring foods as much as I remember to (sometimes I'm in a rush, so I don't have time to measure.  Need to start measuring out on weekends for the week).

2010-09-15 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3098915

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
gnome - 2010-09-14 8:23 PM ok...put in today's food in the nutrition log.  I've been logging in my foods on livestrong.com, so I've been measuring foods as much as I remember to (sometimes I'm in a rush, so I don't have time to measure.  Need to start measuring out on weekends for the week).

Great! I'll take a look after a week or so and give some feedback.
2010-09-17 6:32 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
How was everyone's week? Training going well?
2010-09-18 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
This has been a rough week training-wise.  I missed my training on Wednesday due to a meeting in the morning and then clinicals at the hospital all afternoon and evening (though I was on my feet and walked about a mile in total at the hospital...plus doing CPR, which is a workout in itself)  I tried to get something in, even if it wasn't biking, like Wii Fit (ever do the hoola-hoop exercise?  It's a great upper leg and cardio workout!).

I've also been slacking in entering my nutrition, though I have been doing ok as far as eating goes this week.  I've been making (mostly) better choices.  The scale is moving downwards ever so slowly, and so is the measuring tape.

I'm hoping the craziness is over for now, and I can get back to a more normal routine this week...
2010-09-20 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3106303

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
gnome - 2010-09-18 9:44 PM This has been a rough week training-wise.  I missed my training on Wednesday due to a meeting in the morning and then clinicals at the hospital all afternoon and evening (though I was on my feet and walked about a mile in total at the hospital...plus doing CPR, which is a workout in itself)  I tried to get something in, even if it wasn't biking, like Wii Fit (ever do the hoola-hoop exercise?  It's a great upper leg and cardio workout!).

I've also been slacking in entering my nutrition, though I have been doing ok as far as eating goes this week.  I've been making (mostly) better choices.  The scale is moving downwards ever so slowly, and so is the measuring tape.

I'm hoping the craziness is over for now, and I can get back to a more normal routine this week...

OMG, the hula-hoop IS tough. I did the 10 minute round ONCE and that was enough for me! Don't stress too much about missing training. Life gets in the way and it's best if you can learn to roll with the punches and avoid feeling guilty.
Glad the scale is moving, but don't stress too much about that, either! I never weigh myself, but I do judge my weight every day by:
How my clothes feel
Whether my thighs are touching or not
How much cushion there is over my hip bones

That's it. In this way, I never get more than about 10 pounds over my preferred weight because my clothes stop fitting me properly and I feel humongous. I've noticed that the longer I stay in my preferred weight range, the more sensitive I am to slight changes in weight, so they get adjusted for quicker (i.e. I watch what I eat a little closer).
2010-09-30 2:32 PM

Three days into the program using a spinning bike at the gym...and my butt hates me and the spinning seat!

2010-09-30 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
It gets easier on your butt after about a week or so.  I need to go back to using the spinning bike, because using the stationary bike is making my knees hurt (they don't hurt as much after using the spinning bike or my own bike).  Get padding shorts...they make it a bit nicer on the seat.

I ran today, rather than biked.  That's what my schedule allowed for today.  Well, I say I ran, but I really kinda shuffled and walked a mile on the indoor track at school.  19 minutes.  UGH!!!  I can walk a mile faster, but I'm trying to get back into running.  Tomorrow is swimming day.
2010-10-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3126522

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
evey1984 - 2010-09-30 2:32 PM Three days into the program using a spinning bike at the gym...and my butt hates me and the spinning seat!

You (or rather, your butt) will adapt! May not feel so great for awhile, but it WILL get better! Congrats on starting the program, and welcome to the group!
2010-10-01 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3126737

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
gnome - 2010-09-30 4:07 PM It gets easier on your butt after about a week or so.  I need to go back to using the spinning bike, because using the stationary bike is making my knees hurt (they don't hurt as much after using the spinning bike or my own bike).  Get padding shorts...they make it a bit nicer on the seat.

I ran today, rather than biked.  That's what my schedule allowed for today.  Well, I say I ran, but I really kinda shuffled and walked a mile on the indoor track at school.  19 minutes.  UGH!!!  I can walk a mile faster, but I'm trying to get back into running.  Tomorrow is swimming day.

Sounds like you are doing pretty well! You will improve quickly with the running if you are consistent, and it will be so fun to see your times dropping!
2010-10-05 9:17 AM

Minor setback to my plan. I was really sick at the end of last week so I only managed to do three workouts. I'll be starting week one over again this week - hopefully I'm not set back again. I'm still sick but nothing compared to the weekend.On a positive note: my butt seems to hate the bike seat less than last week! Haha
2010-10-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3133327

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
evey1984 - 2010-10-05 9:17 AM Minor setback to my plan. I was really sick at the end of last week so I only managed to do three workouts. I'll be starting week one over again this week - hopefully I'm not set back again. I'm still sick but nothing compared to the weekend.On a positive note: my butt seems to hate the bike seat less than last week! Haha

No worries! The key is to just move forward and not stress about the past. I am glad you took the time to get better!

2010-10-11 12:56 PM

New user

Hi everyone!  I am looking forward to joining you - I am planning to begin the program tomorrow!  I am currently very overweight and out of shape, but am ready to make a change. 

I will have my bike on a trainer here in my livingroom.  Before I can begin, I need to take my bike to the LBS to have the chain adjusted, which I will do tomorrow morning.  Right now, I cannot switch gears.  When I bought my bike, they told me the chain would loosen up, and when it did to bring it in and they'd tighten it.  So hopefully that's all that needs to be done.

I do not have a computer, and am wondering - how do I measure my cadence?  Is that something I can do easily myself, or should I invest in one of the less expensive computers when I'm at the LBS tomorrow? 

Also, any tips for keeping track of which set you're on?  Anytime I do sets, I seem to lose track.  I was thinking of putting 10 ponytail elastics on one handle, and moving them to the other handle as I do each set.

Thanks for any advice,
Lori
2010-10-11 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
To determine cadence, you just count the number of times one foot goes around on the pedal for a period of time (I use 15 seconds, then multiply by 4).  After a while, you get accustomed to what cadence feels like, and you can pretty well estimate it. 

For counting sets, I have the same problem.  If you have an ipod touch, iphone or something that can do applications, there are several apps that have interval timers.  I use Gym Buddy.  If not, you can just set up a kitchen timer right next to your bike.  I find that having a timer is easier than watching the clock, as it makes time seem to go faster when you aren't staring at the seconds go by.

Welcome and good luck!
2010-10-12 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3145302

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
songsparrow - 2010-10-11 12:56 PM Hi everyone!  I am looking forward to joining you - I am planning to begin the program tomorrow!  I am currently very overweight and out of shape, but am ready to make a change. 

I will have my bike on a trainer here in my livingroom.  Before I can begin, I need to take my bike to the LBS to have the chain adjusted, which I will do tomorrow morning.  Right now, I cannot switch gears.  When I bought my bike, they told me the chain would loosen up, and when it did to bring it in and they'd tighten it.  So hopefully that's all that needs to be done.

I do not have a computer, and am wondering - how do I measure my cadence?  Is that something I can do easily myself, or should I invest in one of the less expensive computers when I'm at the LBS tomorrow? 

Also, any tips for keeping track of which set you're on?  Anytime I do sets, I seem to lose track.  I was thinking of putting 10 ponytail elastics on one handle, and moving them to the other handle as I do each set.

Thanks for any advice,
Lori

Gnome already gave some good answers, so let me just say WELCOME!! Please continue to drop by and let us know how the training is going.
2010-10-12 9:25 AM

New user

Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice!  I downloaded an iPhone app to let me time the intervals and I think that will be a huge help - thanks for the tip!
2010-10-13 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3146986

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
songsparrow - 2010-10-12 9:25 AM Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice!  I downloaded an iPhone app to let me time the intervals and I think that will be a huge help - thanks for the tip!

What did we ever do without iPhones?!?

2010-10-15 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
where the plan shows ", what does that mean?  I'm guessing that ' means "minutes"... does " mean repetitions?
2010-10-15 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3153813

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Wooden Bell - 2010-10-15 5:55 AM where the plan shows ", what does that mean?  I'm guessing that ' means "minutes"... does " mean repetitions?

Usually a single ' means minutes, and '' means seconds.

So this:
10’ warm up and then 10x30” at 100 rpms with 1’ recovery between sets. Cool down for 5' after the last rep.

Translates to:

10 minute warmup.
10 times 30 seconds at 100 rpms, 1 minute recover between sets
5 minutes cooldown

John

Edited by tkd.teacher 2010-10-15 3:30 PM
2010-10-28 7:34 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
How is everyone doing this week?
2010-10-28 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
Jupiter, FL
Hi all, just found this thread.  I'm on week 5 of the plan, which I started to improve my cycling while rehabing a tibia injury.  Anyways, I'm back to running again, and have just been doing back to back bike/run workouts which has been going just fine.  However now that my run volume is increasing, I need to cut back on my cycling a bit.  I'm doing a HM in Jan that I really need to get ready for so my cycling can take a back seat but I don't want to abandon it completely.

Which brings me to my question - which days do you think are the least critical and could be cut out without much sacrifice.  I think cutting 2 workouts would be just fine to give me enough run time without burning out. 
2010-11-01 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3180419

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
scottuf - 2010-10-28 2:04 PM Hi all, just found this thread.  I'm on week 5 of the plan, which I started to improve my cycling while rehabing a tibia injury.  Anyways, I'm back to running again, and have just been doing back to back bike/run workouts which has been going just fine.  However now that my run volume is increasing, I need to cut back on my cycling a bit.  I'm doing a HM in Jan that I really need to get ready for so my cycling can take a back seat but I don't want to abandon it completely.

Which brings me to my question - which days do you think are the least critical and could be cut out without much sacrifice.  I think cutting 2 workouts would be just fine to give me enough run time without burning out. 

Hi there, and welcome to the thread! I would recommend you keep the trainer workout and the long ride on the weekends. Those are the "key" workouts in the plan. You can cut one or two of the mid-week rides if you want to add in your running.

2010-11-29 10:07 AM

User image

Hi All -

Just wanted to poke my head in the door and say hi. I found this plan a few weeks ago, but decided to wait until after Thanksgiving to start it since I was training for the local turkey day running race.

The thread doesn't look too active, but I'll be following the plan anyway! I'll also probably tailor the mid-week workouts to keep running, as suggested above.

Hopefully everyone is doing well!

2010-11-29 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3228716

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
CTDon - 2010-11-29 10:07 AM Hi All - Just wanted to poke my head in the door and say hi. I found this plan a few weeks ago, but decided to wait until after Thanksgiving to start it since I was training for the local turkey day running race. The thread doesn't look too active, but I'll be following the plan anyway! I'll also probably tailor the mid-week workouts to keep running, as suggested above. Hopefully everyone is doing well!

Thanks for joining! What are your long term goals? Do you have a triathlon planned? Make sure to keep us up to date on how the plan is working for you!
2010-11-30 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3228735

User image

Thanks Jessica!

I'm currently looking to drop some tonnage while learning to get comfortable in the saddle, so this is a great way for me to kill two birds!

My long term goals are to complete my first sprint tri. There are some in my area in the summertime, so I just need to focus on getting ready for them. I've been running for a few years, bought a house last summer with an inground pool and bought a road bike this fall...so all the basics are covered, I just need to put it all together!

Tri Take Me Away - 2010-11-29 11:17 AM

Thanks for joining! What are your long term goals? Do you have a triathlon planned? Make sure to keep us up to date on how the plan is working for you!
2010-12-01 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3231074

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
CTDon - 2010-11-30 4:16 PM Thanks Jessica! I'm currently looking to drop some tonnage while learning to get comfortable in the saddle, so this is a great way for me to kill two birds! My long term goals are to complete my first sprint tri. There are some in my area in the summertime, so I just need to focus on getting ready for them. I've been running for a few years, bought a house last summer with an inground pool and bought a road bike this fall...so all the basics are covered, I just need to put it all together!
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-11-29 11:17 AM Thanks for joining! What are your long term goals? Do you have a triathlon planned? Make sure to keep us up to date on how the plan is working for you!

Sounds good! You have plenty of time. It's all about consistency. The more consistent you can be now, the easier that race will be this summer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Cycling Program Group Rss Feed  

of 5