General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Cycling Program Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-12-23 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3052872

New user

Subject: RE: Beginner Cycling Program Group
I am in week 2 of the beginning cycling program. I'm trying to lose 20 lbs, and stay fit over the winter. I also do either pilates or yoga 2 days/week. I've been active my entire life, but upon reaching my late 40's, the weight is hard to keep off. I can no longer do triathlons due to my knees, but want to train for some aqua bike races this summer.

Attachments
----------------
(0KB - 15 downloads)

2010-12-26 1:07 PM

New user

Riverview
I'm about to start this program (tomorrow morning to be precise...).  I've just had our third child (we have a 9 year old, a 3 year old and our baby is now 8 months old).  I had started running prior to learning we were pregnant with our third and absolutely loved it, which completely surprised me, I've never been a runner.  Completed a 5k in June (2009) and found out I was pregnant shortly after so stopped training altogether. 

I am planning on doing (definitely planning) a triathlon in August, but was perusing the idea of doing another one earlier in June (swimming is in a pool which may be a good idea for my first where the tri in August is in open water and I may not really have a lot of time to train for it until after June (it's pretty cold here until July).  

I've lost 15lbs to date by changing my diet (I'm a vegan and don't eat sugar/flour).  I still have a bit to lose so thought I would start with this biking program to lose the rest of the weight and also as a good starting point for learning how to bike.  

Looking forward to my journey and hearing about other people's journeys as well!! 
2010-12-27 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3259259

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
alfiecat - 2010-12-23 11:26 AM I am in week 2 of the beginning cycling program. I'm trying to lose 20 lbs, and stay fit over the winter. I also do either pilates or yoga 2 days/week. I've been active my entire life, but upon reaching my late 40's, the weight is hard to keep off. I can no longer do triathlons due to my knees, but want to train for some aqua bike races this summer.

Welcome to BT! I think it's great that you want to try some aqua bike races! Fun! Sounds like you are doing pretty well over the winter with the yoga and cycling. Are you swimming at all?
2010-12-27 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3261906

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jolene1979 - 2010-12-26 1:07 PM I'm about to start this program (tomorrow morning to be precise...).  I've just had our third child (we have a 9 year old, a 3 year old and our baby is now 8 months old).  I had started running prior to learning we were pregnant with our third and absolutely loved it, which completely surprised me, I've never been a runner.  Completed a 5k in June (2009) and found out I was pregnant shortly after so stopped training altogether. 

I am planning on doing (definitely planning) a triathlon in August, but was perusing the idea of doing another one earlier in June (swimming is in a pool which may be a good idea for my first where the tri in August is in open water and I may not really have a lot of time to train for it until after June (it's pretty cold here until July).  

I've lost 15lbs to date by changing my diet (I'm a vegan and don't eat sugar/flour).  I still have a bit to lose so thought I would start with this biking program to lose the rest of the weight and also as a good starting point for learning how to bike.  

Looking forward to my journey and hearing about other people's journeys as well!! 

Welcome, and thank you for joining us! Sounds like you have a solid plan! I think the early triathlon is a good idea. I am fully confident you can be ready by June for that distance.
2011-01-02 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3055538

New user

you can do wall pushups which you can control alot easier than floor ones.
you can also do bench press which is the same exercise with weights, use either dumbells or bar.
You can also try flys at different bench angles.
You dont need alot of weight either.  Try less weight and more reps every other day.
Hope this helps.  
I dislocated my shoulder years ago completely detaching the ligaments from the joint.  I know what you are going threw. 
2011-01-02 9:55 AM

New user

Hi guys, my name is Jo and I am a 42 year old mother of 3.  My life has been spent in pursuit of physical health but I always do too much too soon or push beyond my bodies limits and get injured.  And when I say injured, there is very few injuries I have not suffered threw.  Cycling is all I can do now.  A torn hamstring has taken away even my ability to run.  A dislocated shoulder stops me from swimming.  I recently had a fully custom bike built by guru.  Can't tell you how much I love this bike.  I now have it set up on my computrainer and I hope this cycling program gets me fit enough that when the weather improves outside, I wont look the fool out on the road.  I have never used a program like this so I really hope it can keep me on the right path in my pursuit of a healthier me.

2011-01-02 12:08 PM

New user

how exactly do I join this group?  I really would like to join but I dont know how?
Please help
Jo 
2011-01-03 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3272285

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jchrystall - 2011-01-02 9:55 AM Hi guys, my name is Jo and I am a 42 year old mother of 3.  My life has been spent in pursuit of physical health but I always do too much too soon or push beyond my bodies limits and get injured.  And when I say injured, there is very few injuries I have not suffered threw.  Cycling is all I can do now.  A torn hamstring has taken away even my ability to run.  A dislocated shoulder stops me from swimming.  I recently had a fully custom bike built by guru.  Can't tell you how much I love this bike.  I now have it set up on my computrainer and I hope this cycling program gets me fit enough that when the weather improves outside, I wont look the fool out on the road.  I have never used a program like this so I really hope it can keep me on the right path in my pursuit of a healthier me.

Hi Jo! Welcome to BT! I am glad you are using the Beginner Cycling Program! Just keep posting to this thread to share your experiences and ask questions. If you post on the weekend, it may take me until Monday to answer your questions. Make sure you keep us updated on your progress!
2011-01-05 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3177966

New user

Hi Jessica,
I am fine.  First week of following the beginner cycle program and so far so good.
I am still struggling to get my computrainer set up correctly but I am using it for my rides and so far so good.
Biggest issue I have is that I want to do more than is set out in the program but as this is my usual problem which leads to injury so I am being good and sticking fast
Thanks Jo 
2011-01-05 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3279760

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jchrystall - 2011-01-05 12:17 PM Hi Jessica,
I am fine.  First week of following the beginner cycle program and so far so good.
I am still struggling to get my computrainer set up correctly but I am using it for my rides and so far so good.
Biggest issue I have is that I want to do more than is set out in the program but as this is my usual problem which leads to injury so I am being good and sticking fast
Thanks Jo 

Jo, I am the same way and I really understand that struggle. You are doing great.
2011-01-05 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3078932

New user

Edited by jchrystall 2011-01-06 5:49 AM

2011-01-06 5:48 AM
in reply to: #3279854

New user

I completed a lactate and power threshold tests last night.  
Good to finally have some real numbers to work with
Today is a no ride day so I will hit the gym and do strength training

Edited by jchrystall 2011-01-06 6:27 AM
2011-01-06 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3281342

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jchrystall - 2011-01-06 5:48 AM I completed a lactate and power threshold tests last night.  
Good to finally have some real numbers to work with
Today is a no ride day so I will hit the gym and do strength training

Good job getting your test done.
2011-01-07 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3282333

New user

Was really hard to get up this morning and ride!
Was only an easy ride thank god cause I dont think I could have put much effort into it.
Hopefully tomorrow I will be better for my long ride.
Jo 
2011-01-08 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3283890

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jchrystall - 2011-01-07 6:24 AM Was really hard to get up this morning and ride!
Was only an easy ride thank god cause I dont think I could have put much effort into it.
Hopefully tomorrow I will be better for my long ride.
Jo 

Hey, at least you GOT UP AND DID IT!
2011-01-10 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3287408

New user

finding it hard to do my recovery rides!  They seem too easy!
I know I have to do them so I can do my harder rides but still find it hard.

Today I rode for an hour at zone 3.  Tomorrow I will do an hour at zone 2 and then Wed I have to do 45min at zones 4-5.

Of course my weight went up a lb??? but lost inches all over for a total of 4.5"  I have such a crazy body 

2011-01-11 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3289658

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jchrystall - 2011-01-10 9:36 AM finding it hard to do my recovery rides!  They seem too easy!
I know I have to do them so I can do my harder rides but still find it hard.

Today I rode for an hour at zone 3.  Tomorrow I will do an hour at zone 2 and then Wed I have to do 45min at zones 4-5.

Of course my weight went up a lb??? but lost inches all over for a total of 4.5"  I have such a crazy body 

My weight always goes up after my hardest workouts of the week. I ignore the scale as much as possible.
2011-01-12 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
11 days into the program, and loving it   At this pace, I will blow 2010's bike mileage out of the water in the first 2 months of 2011... needless to say, I have always been a little bit of a slacker on the bike (and swim... and run)
2011-01-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3295422

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Wooden Bell - 2011-01-12 2:54 PM 11 days into the program, and loving it   At this pace, I will blow 2010's bike mileage out of the water in the first 2 months of 2011... needless to say, I have always been a little bit of a slacker on the bike (and swim... and run)

Awesome!
2011-01-26 10:48 AM

New user

Currently in week 4 (rest week) so less miles but still same intensity.
I cant believe that I have made it this far and can now see myself completing the program.
Starting to think about riding outside (well when the snow disappears) and looking at events that I might be able to try.
Never thought I would love riding so much but I do.
Thank you for being there

2011-01-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3322487

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jchrystall - 2011-01-26 10:48 AM Currently in week 4 (rest week) so less miles but still same intensity.
I cant believe that I have made it this far and can now see myself completing the program.
Starting to think about riding outside (well when the snow disappears) and looking at events that I might be able to try.
Never thought I would love riding so much but I do.
Thank you for being there

Thank YOU so much for sharing your successes with us. I remember the feeling of doing more and more every week and how great and mind-blowing it was to see how athletic I could become! it's so awesome, both physically and mentally, to experience that.

2011-05-18 2:01 AM

Extreme Veteran

Can I join even if I'm only looking at doing part of the program? For instance 2-3 days instead of the full 6.

If I can here's some background info:

I'm 26, live in Australia and have a a pretty much stock standard bike (26" Malvern Star with flat pedals and normal handlebars.) I'm currently walking 3 days a week, swimming 2 and running 2 (just started that doing my own version of the galloway conditioning plan on Monday.) I'm looking to add in at least 2 short bike sessions (not even sure I can do the minimum right now) as I've been neglecting it and would like to attempt a mini or sprint tri in November to celebrate my 16 year heart transplant anniversary but at my current speed it would take me around 3 hours to complete the bike portion of a sprint (don't know the distance of the mini.)

Anyway I have 1 main question - how do I do the alternate leg thing with my bike if I don't have a trainer?

2011-06-01 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3505317

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
suzielea - 2011-05-18 2:01 AM

Can I join even if I'm only looking at doing part of the program? For instance 2-3 days instead of the full 6.

If I can here's some background info:

I'm 26, live in Australia and have a a pretty much stock standard bike (26" Malvern Star with flat pedals and normal handlebars.) I'm currently walking 3 days a week, swimming 2 and running 2 (just started that doing my own version of the galloway conditioning plan on Monday.) I'm looking to add in at least 2 short bike sessions (not even sure I can do the minimum right now) as I've been neglecting it and would like to attempt a mini or sprint tri in November to celebrate my 16 year heart transplant anniversary but at my current speed it would take me around 3 hours to complete the bike portion of a sprint (don't know the distance of the mini.)

Anyway I have 1 main question - how do I do the alternate leg thing with my bike if I don't have a trainer?

Welcome! To do the alternate leg drill outside on a bike without clip-in shoes, just relax one foot as much as possible and force the other foot to do all the work.

2011-06-16 6:29 PM

Just printed out the Beginner Cycling Training Program. But got immediately confused. 

How do I convert RPM to MPH? [My tires are Bontrager T1 - 700x23c] I'm using the Garmin Training Center & it gives me my average cadence [rpm] but only after I download my ride from my watch.

Also has anyone used a Garmin 405 on a stationary bike? I have a Garmin cadence connected to my bike & would prefer to just use it instead of having to purchase another bike computer just for indoor training. 

2011-06-19 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3553277

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Vikki82 - 2011-06-16 6:29 PM

Just printed out the Beginner Cycling Training Program. But got immediately confused. 

How do I convert RPM to MPH? [My tires are Bontrager T1 - 700x23c] I'm using the Garmin Training Center & it gives me my average cadence [rpm] but only after I download my ride from my watch.

Also has anyone used a Garmin 405 on a stationary bike? I have a Garmin cadence connected to my bike & would prefer to just use it instead of having to purchase another bike computer just for indoor training. 

Hmm. You can't convert RPM to speed because it changes depending on what gear you are in. Do you have an Indoor mode on your 405 so it isn't using the satellite to measure speed?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Cycling Program Group Rss Feed  

of 5