Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-05-02 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3052903

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
Subject: RE: Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group
A month and half away from starting in on this plan. I was just looking at the first couple of weeks and I definitely feel like I have the volume I need to make this leap. I am averaging 8hrs a week right now. Feel VERY ready to take on the Memphis in May Oly as my starter race for the season. Anixious to get started on the ramping up for IMFL! This thread has been pretty quiet for a while, does that mean this plan has everyone so busy that there is no time to post?!
I am curious - those of you that have started the program already, are you having any challenges, is this plan working out?

2012-05-02 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

I'm 7 weeks in on this plan and so far it's going really well. Although I'm definitely in a blackhole of training most weeks. It seems that outside of work, training dictates everything I do. Anyway, I did the HIM plan a couple years ago and I remember being completely exhausted many times. On this plan, with many more hours, I do not feel that way at all.

Looking at some other's training schedule, it seems like it's not enough, but I guess I should just ride it out!

If you're at 8 hours now, I bet you'll have no problem getting into this plan!

2012-05-02 4:56 PM

I'm curious about everyone's average speed for the long rides? Obviously wind and hills and whatnot are factors...just wanted some idea of how fast people were riding in training (especially as compared to their intended bike pace for the race). 

Thanks!

2012-05-04 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4186681

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
MechEChick - 2012-05-02 2:40 PM

I'm 7 weeks in on this plan and so far it's going really well. Although I'm definitely in a blackhole of training most weeks. It seems that outside of work, training dictates everything I do. Anyway, I did the HIM plan a couple years ago and I remember being completely exhausted many times. On this plan, with many more hours, I do not feel that way at all.

Looking at some other's training schedule, it seems like it's not enough, but I guess I should just ride it out!

If you're at 8 hours now, I bet you'll have no problem getting into this plan!

Best thing anyone ever told me when I was wondering about my volume for the HIM was - "trust your plan". I did and it was good advice.
2012-06-21 11:47 AM

User image

Key West
Just about to start this plan.  Ironman Cozumel (my first Full) over Thanksgiving is the target and the summer heat is kicking in to make this interesting.  If anyone else is heading into a Fall IM and wants to compare notes, let me know.  Cheers!
2012-06-21 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4273563

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

HeatmizerKW - 2012-06-21 10:47 AM Just about to start this plan.  Ironman Cozumel (my first Full) over Thanksgiving is the target and the summer heat is kicking in to make this interesting.  If anyone else is heading into a Fall IM and wants to compare notes, let me know.  Cheers!

Good luck!! I'm 5 weeks out from the Vineman and starting to get nervous. I hope it goes well for you. I'll be doing the second longest run of the plan tonight in 99 degree heat, should be interesting.

2012-07-05 1:31 PM

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
Training is underway for IMFL! I started this plan a week early and am officially in week 18. I can't help but feel a little freaked out and like this is not enough training. I have added in extra time on the bike and am on track to do the same this week. Still, already seems like I should be doing more! Looks like the plan really kicks it up in the next 4 weeks, so maybe that will calm me down some.

Anybody out there who has been following this plan want to offer up their perspective on their experience with it? I could use some early encouragement!
2012-07-10 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4273563

User image

New user

HeatmizerKW - 2012-06-21 11:47 AM Just about to start this plan.  Ironman Cozumel (my first Full) over Thanksgiving is the target and the summer heat is kicking in to make this interesting.  If anyone else is heading into a Fall IM and wants to compare notes, let me know.  Cheers!

Hey Michael,

I'm doing IM Cozumel this fall too! We should keep in touch.

Edited by jtortiz86 2012-07-10 9:09 AM
2012-07-18 5:10 PM
in reply to: #4295705

User image

Louisville

Hi Bill. I am currently in week 6 of this plan and feel confident that it is a good plan. I am training for my first IM (Louisville).  i started the plan in April and like you, in the beginning I felt it wasn't enough. I actually started rebuilding my base in january and slowly increased my hours to about 8 a week in April at the start of this program. I don't know what your goals are but for my first it is stricltly to finish. I am 57 and have a pretty good fitness base, i have done several Sprint and Oly distance triathlons and one Half prior to this year.

I am not fast at any of the events so I have added extra time to the run and bike (1/2 hr to 1 hr) on some of the longer runs/bikes just to get a little more distance. The swim is the part I feel most confident in and stay pretty close to the plan.  I also do not hesitate to take an extra rest day if i feel i need it - which has proven benificial. 

As i mentioned above - a lot depends on your goal. Following the plan and if I have a good day i hope to do the course in 15-16hrs depending on conditions (heat is a big issue here in Louisville).

hope this helps - if you want any additional info don't hesitate to ask me. 

2012-07-27 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran

I will be starting this plan at week 16 starting on 7/30/2012.  I have just finished my recovery from Vineman 70.3, finished in 5:34.

Is there any advise you pals could offer someone starting this plan?

I am hoping to finish in sub 13 but I really just want to finish the race.

2012-08-01 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4334801

User image

Louisville

Hi Daniel:  starting week 4 in this plan - almost to taper.  I think the thing that helped me most, and you may already be doing this, was to use  heart rate zones rather than the RPE method. Much more accurate and less subjective. (There are several good resources on the BT site to work out the zones)  Also as I mentioned on another post on this thread - I did not hesitate to take a few extra rest days when I felt I needed it. That helped me not only recover from a hard training day but also really helped keep me motivated and injury free.  This past Saturday I did a training ride on the IMKY course (112 m) and was shocked at how well I did.  I am an average cyclist - no real background in it - and averaged 17mph. - not fast but great for me, especially on that course. After the ride I still felt great and knew that I have been training properly.  hope this is beneficial for you and good luck with your training.

2012-08-01 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

I just did Vineman this last weekend. This training plan will get you through it. I will tell you two things. One, it's great if you have a goal time, but forget about it on race day and follow your race plan. Two, take the bike easy. And then you'll have finished your first Ironman!!

Good luck and enjoy!

2012-08-01 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4340768

User image

Louisville
MechEChick - 2012-08-01 9:18 AM

I just did Vineman this last weekend. This training plan will get you through it. I will tell you two things. One, it's great if you have a goal time, but forget about it on race day and follow your race plan. Two, take the bike easy. And then you'll have finished your first Ironman!!

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely heed it. all 3 things are part of my plan. 1) not a "race", 2) easy on the bike, 3) finish my first IM.
2012-08-02 7:18 PM
in reply to: #4318873

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
Thank you J. I am now at week 14 and beginning to see that I might be able to actually do this bad boy! I just turned 53 and it sounds like I am following this plan much the same way. I feel confident about the swim, and I am adding extra bike time. The run is going to be what it is, so I am sticking with the plan for the run. Have an olympic and a half scheduled in line with the plan.

It has been fun to see how my fitness is changing.
2012-08-06 8:52 AM

Hello. I am currently on week 5 of the plan and have developed some back problems, causing me to miss some crucial workouts starting 5 days ago. As you all know, week 5 is the toughest week. I am hoping to resume training this week. If not, and I end up missing the whole week and resuming workouts next week, what are my chances for the IM itself. My thinking is that I have done most of the tough training and should be good to go. Any thoughts?
2012-08-07 12:44 AM

User image

San Antonio/Austin, TX

Hello All,

I am new to the site and I am starting my second week of this program. I have been doing triathlons more recreational and not competitive since 2008. I usually do 3-4 sprints and one oly per year. This year I've decided to really get serious about it and am set on doing either the IMTX or the HTS Marble Falls Full distance. Both are in April 2013, so I've got 8 months to train. I would prefer to do the IMTX if I can get the money together before it fills up. Many people have said I'm crazy for planning to do a full before doing a half, but I figure I'll get close to some half type distances with the training, and anyway, I'm motivated and determined to do the full, so I'm going to go full speed ahead with the training.

Thank you for a great welcoming site and I look forward to learning and reading as much as I can.

Mike

2012-08-07 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4348629

User image

Louisville
@el quant: probably the best thing to do is get your back healthy. Do what you can do without stressing it anymore. As you said, you've done most of the hard work. It's better to show up at the starting line healthy and injury free.
2012-08-07 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4350427

User image

Louisville
@Michael T: your triathlon history sounds a lot like mine, with the exception of a HIM I did in 2010. At that time I had no intention of doing a full. That insanity came later. I think you will be fine. The primary thing you might gain from a half is the experience of executing a good "race" plan including nutrition and pacing yourself. You can certainly get this from your training. You can work a half distance training weekend into your training later without actually doing a "race". I did this in my training primarily because i just didn't want to spend the $$$ (this stuff gets expensive) Don't listen to people that say you're crazy. We are all some what unbalanced just for doing these things anyway. Determination, motivation and smart training will get you there.

Edited by Jlink1068 2012-08-07 9:28 AM
2012-08-07 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4350736

Jlink1068 - 2012-08-07 9:04 AM @el quant: probably the best thing to do is get your back healthy. Do what you can do without stressing it anymore. As you said, you've done most of the hard work. It's better to show up at the starting line healthy and injury free.

Sounds like good advice Jlink. I appreciate it. I'll just have to play it by ear up until the event. Really the worst case scenario is a DNF. Thanks for the tip.

2012-08-07 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4350789

User image

Louisville
El Q: what IM are you doing? I'm doing Louisville August 26. Getting really psyched!!!!
2012-08-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: #4350827

IM Wisconsin. Trying not to over-psych!

2012-08-09 12:39 AM
in reply to: #4350773

User image

San Antonio/Austin, TX

Jlink1068 - 2012-08-07 9:20 AM @Michael T: your triathlon history sounds a lot like mine, with the exception of a HIM I did in 2010. At that time I had no intention of doing a full. That insanity came later. I think you will be fine. The primary thing you might gain from a half is the experience of executing a good "race" plan including nutrition and pacing yourself. You can certainly get this from your training. You can work a half distance training weekend into your training later without actually doing a "race". I did this in my training primarily because i just didn't want to spend the $$$ (this stuff gets expensive) Don't listen to people that say you're crazy. We are all some what unbalanced just for doing these things anyway. Determination, motivation and smart training will get you there.

Thank you for the reply and insight. I figure the same thing about doing the distance without spending the $$. I'll need it for the full

2012-08-31 5:24 AM

I used the Beginner Half Ironman to do my first HIM in April this year. I finished in the time predicted and I had fun, feeling very comfortable with the plan.  Now I subscribed for the Challenge Roth next year and I am going to use the Full beginner plan, just putting my target HR up as they changed over time. I just want to finish in a reasonable time and I am confident that this plan will help me to achieve exactly this. However before starting the plan I need a longer "break", you have any advice for a 6 weeks or so recovery period before getting into a new training cycle?

Cheers Andreas from Italy

2012-08-31 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4354264

Veteran

agreed - you don't need to do a HIM before a full - if you are ready, you are ready.  follow your plan, not anyone else's.  I was meant to do IMTX this year but bike destroying meet-up with a car 6 weeks out ended that plan.  but i volunteered and it was a very well run race.  (plus the volunteers were fabulous. he he). 

I'm in the RGV and there is a small group of us doing IMTX next year.  looking forward to following along with your training, inspiring and getting inspired.  you live in SAN -- perfect place for training.  You got this!

2012-08-31 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4389290

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
andreast - 2012-08-31 4:24 AM

I used the Beginner Half Ironman to do my first HIM in April this year. I finished in the time predicted and I had fun, feeling very comfortable with the plan.  Now I subscribed for the Challenge Roth next year and I am going to use the Full beginner plan, just putting my target HR up as they changed over time. I just want to finish in a reasonable time and I am confident that this plan will help me to achieve exactly this. However before starting the plan I need a longer "break", you have any advice for a 6 weeks or so recovery period before getting into a new training cycle?

Cheers Andreas from Italy

Congrats on deciding to do an Ironman! This will definitely get you there, it did for me. I think time off is a good idea. I took 1 week after my HIM and then a super easy week before training again. I guess the big thing if you are about to start into this is to watch out for burnout.

Another thing to think about is that this plan quickly ramps up above the longest week of the HIM plan. I wouldn't go into it straight from a 6 week total break as I would develop overuse injuries, but that is just me. If you only have 6 weeks, I'd do a 4 week break and then casual workouts the 2 weeks before hand just to keep your fitness up. Just my 2 cents.

Best of Luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 16