General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-09-13 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3052903

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group

I'm actually doing the Don Fink Intermediate plan (replaced swimming with my 3x per week squad) and the bike I've replaced with the Competitive plan.

I'm on week 3.  However when I get to week 10  I will also try and combine a bit with this plan!  Especially for the bike which is my weakest link.

Anyone else doing combination plans for training.

My ironman is Melbourne March 2013.  Yikes!

2012-09-23 4:32 PM

User image

Memphis, Tennessee

Hello everyone! I have put money down and paid for the KY IM in 2013. I had to put some skin into the game so I would stop playing with the idea of doing an IM and get serious. Last year a friend and I were training some and I thought he said that he had signed up for the 1/2 IM in Augusta. So I went on line and registered and even made motel reservations. The next day I learned he did not say he had registered but rather that he wanted to! Well we had to get serious then. I did an Olympic distance in July and then the 1/2 in Augusta. It was tough and I had lots of issues but I did finish.

The IM in Kentucky is about the only I can get to with my schedule and I wanted to do it last year but work took over and I never got serious about it. I was really upset this August when the IM started, I kept thinking all day where I would be on the race. I was really disappointed I did not carve the time out and do it so I am committed to do it next year. I have been doing some swimming and running and will start posting my training. I will start the training plan soon and look forward to hearing about everyone else's experiences. I am going to have to get a new or used bike for this since my last bike barely made it through the 1/2 IM. My goals for the race are to not need medical  assistance, not be dead last, and finish.  

Thanks! 

Phillip

2012-10-02 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4340768

User image

Expert
Salem
MechEChick - 2012-08-01 7:18 AM

I just did Vineman this last weekend. This training plan will get you through it. I will tell you two things. One, it's great if you have a goal time, but forget about it on race day and follow your race plan. Two, take the bike easy. And then you'll have finished your first Ironman!!

Good luck and enjoy!

Did you use the Beginner BT Ironman Plan  Silver/Gold Membership?  I am planning for Vineman 2013 and am considering using the Beg. BT Ironman plan or the Level 4 from Matt Fitzgerald's Essential Training Plans (I have used Matt's for my Half-Iron and Oly distances and work out fine for me.  As I reviewed both plans I noticed on the BT plan three are some days with a long ride followed by a shorter the next day and some long runs followed by a shorter run the next day after.  How did the plan work for you and did you feel the scheduled workouts each day fit well together throughout the week.

THX for any feedback.

2012-10-02 5:21 PM
in reply to: #4437472

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
TriGuyBri - 2012-10-02 1:48 PM 

Did you use the Beginner BT Ironman Plan  Silver/Gold Membership?  I am planning for Vineman 2013 and am considering using the Beg. BT Ironman plan or the Level 4 from Matt Fitzgerald's Essential Training Plans (I have used Matt's for my Half-Iron and Oly distances and work out fine for me.  As I reviewed both plans I noticed on the BT plan three are some days with a long ride followed by a shorter the next day and some long runs followed by a shorter run the next day after.  How did the plan work for you and did you feel the scheduled workouts each day fit well together throughout the week.

THX for any feedback.

Sure! I used the basic beginner one and I think it's actually Bronze. But I am not sure. There were a couple times I'd have a short and long ride on the weekends. With the running, I can't remember. I know I did long runs on Thursdays with a friend. Honestly, it was tough to get everything in. And I would be lying if I said I hit every workout. There were a couple times I did slightly shorter workouts if I knew my body needed it.

Overall, no matter what plan you choose, it will be difficult at times. You will need to have a solid reason to be doing this race and get yourself out of bed on mornings you don't want to. It is alot of hard work.

On the positive side, it is absolutely manageable. Don't forget that if something doesn't work with your schedule, figure out how to rearrange it. And completely worth it. In the end, you can do it! Good luck and get excited, the Vineman is a great race!

Ooo, and I forgot. Make sure you do long training rides and runs with hills. You'll be glad you did.

Edited by MechEChick 2012-10-02 5:23 PM
2012-10-02 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4437757

User image

Expert
Salem
MechEChick - 2012-10-02 3:21 PM
TriGuyBri - 2012-10-02 1:48 PM 

THX for any feedback.

Sure! I used the basic beginner one and I think it's actually Bronze. But I am not sure. There were a couple times I'd have a short and long ride on the weekends. With the running, I can't remember. I know I did long runs on Thursdays with a friend. Honestly, it was tough to get everything in. And I would be lying if I said I hit every workout. There were a couple times I did slightly shorter workouts if I knew my body needed it.

Overall, no matter what plan you choose, it will be difficult at times. You will need to have a solid reason to be doing this race and get yourself out of bed on mornings you don't want to. It is alot of hard work.

On the positive side, it is absolutely manageable. Don't forget that if something doesn't work with your schedule, figure out how to rearrange it. And completely worth it. In the end, you can do it! Good luck and get excited, the Vineman is a great race!

Ooo, and I forgot. Make sure you do long training rides and runs with hills. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks for the info. and insight. I have plenty of hills where I live to run and ride. I watched the full bike ride on You Tube last evening. This was a great way to view the route and actually see Chalk Hill. We have plenty of Chalk Hills around here. I will have to get a different cassette set-up with a 28 on the back. I am not a great climber so spinning will be necessary an welcomed.
2012-10-26 3:49 AM

About to do my 2nd Half Ironman and then after a week or two rest get started on this one leading into my first IM. 

I have about 26 weeks, can anyone recommend training in the 6 weeks prior to starting the plan? Should I just repeat week 1 for a few weeks. Previously only training 5-8 hours a week so will take some adjusting heading in to the later weeks!!

2012-10-31 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4470087

User image

Extreme Veteran
Moad - 2012-10-26 2:49 AM

About to do my 2nd Half Ironman and then after a week or two rest get started on this one leading into my first IM. 

I have about 26 weeks, can anyone recommend training in the 6 weeks prior to starting the plan? Should I just repeat week 1 for a few weeks. Previously only training 5-8 hours a week so will take some adjusting heading in to the later weeks!!

I had this same situation, so I just cut & pasted the first 6 weeks of the plan and did them twice. I was already at the level it started at; you may need to work up to it. This worked well for me; I felt ready for the build when it was time.
2012-11-02 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4470087

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Moad - 2012-10-26 2:49 AM

I just did what I wanted for the four weeks before hand, trying to hit around the hours of the first couple weeks. If you're anything like me, you'll be burnt out by the end, so I'd recommend being a bit less structured and enjoying a little freedom!

2012-11-04 5:18 PM

I'm a beginning tri-athlete, but I'm only 13 years old! I'm a swimmer, and I swim for 2 hours 6 days a week. I used to run cross-country, but my right hip began rotated slightly forward, and now I'm not allowed to anymore... as for biking... I might need to work on it!!!! How much should I ride a bike for every day? THANKS!!!!
2012-12-31 9:10 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
I've taken the plunge and signed up for IM Louisville 2013. I'm big and I'm slow but I always finish what I start! I'm gonna start this plan in April. Until then I'm swimming 3x weekly with an awesome coach. Riding long rides up to 60 miles on the weekend or up to 20 on my mountain bike. The run is my weakest link so I am concentrating the hardest efforts until April on increasing my run length and decreasing my mile pace to below 12 minutes per. I am mixing on road and trail running right now. I get in one trail run and one road run weekly. Getting very excited for my first Ironman!
2013-01-01 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4555912

User image

Expert

shadow67 - 2012-12-31 10:10 PM I've taken the plunge and signed up for IM Louisville 2013. I'm big and I'm slow but I always finish what I start! I'm gonna start this plan in April. Until then I'm swimming 3x weekly with an awesome coach. Riding long rides up to 60 miles on the weekend or up to 20 on my mountain bike. The run is my weakest link so I am concentrating the hardest efforts until April on increasing my run length and decreasing my mile pace to below 12 minutes per. I am mixing on road and trail running right now. I get in one trail run and one road run weekly. Getting very excited for my first Ironman!

Way to go Shadow!! You might want to consider joining a mentor group as well. (link to mentor forum)

They are open right now for new group members. It's instant support and they can answer a lot of questions.

Happy training!!!

2013-01-07 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4556045

User image

Middle Tennessee
Awesome! I will
2013-01-25 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
I'm signed up for the Rage in the Sage half Iron distance in April, and then the Vineman full distance in July, so for now I am following the BT intermediate half training plan, and then 5 months out I am jumping into the BT beginner full Iron training plan.
2013-03-18 11:14 PM

User image

Abilene, Texas
Finally paid to join the website as a paying member. I haven't completed a tri since 06. I signed up for IM Wisconsin, so I'm excited. Unfortunately I have a hip issue, but I'm hoping it won't keep me from finishing.
2013-03-26 4:43 PM

User image

New user
Fayetteville
I love this plan because it fits my life. I have used it two other times and the half IM plan 4 times. April 22 it starts anew for Septembers Rev 3 Cedar Point full
2013-04-18 1:39 PM

User image

New user

Southeastern PA

Hey everyone.  This is my first time using a BT plan.  I've got one HIM under my belt that I did back in 2010 (Delaware DiamondMan).  The plan was to do ChesapeakeMan in 2011 but life got in the way and I had to back off.  I've been active in tri for the past 10 years or so doing mostly sprint and olympic races.  I'm looking forward to taking this plan all the way through and completing my first full.

Race day is 9/21 so I'm starting on 5/3.  Has anyone ever done the ChesapeakMan distance festival?  Would be interested in hearing from anyone who knows the course.  I think the Eagleman Half is also done on this course.

Mike D

2013-05-16 12:28 PM

Hi I'm planning on using this plan for my first HIM (Augusta!) looking forward to the support and commiseration
2013-05-17 9:40 AM

Hi all---

I'm signed up for my first IM, Wisconsin, this coming September.  Really excited.  Completed HIM Racine 2 years ago. Feel comfortable with the run, having done many marathons and PR/BQing 3 weeks ago.  Just have to get okay with the swim and bike!  Really nervous about the fueling approach to race day as well, but I like all the advice on here.  Thanks all!

Does anyone know if the training plan is down?  I accessed it yesterday but now the PDF links aren't up.

2013-08-09 1:07 AM
in reply to: nrnichol

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Not much action going on in this forum... is there another now?
2013-08-09 2:19 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
its a shame as I'm 2 weeks out from my first Iron Distance adn using the free plan on here - would love to have heard others experience of it, and tips / advice on parts of it throughout.
2013-08-09 11:58 AM
in reply to: grahamclarke_6

User image

Pro
Houston
Let's try to jump start this group again. IMAZ is 100 days out!

2013-08-10 8:12 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

I'm planning on signing up for IMWI 2014. I've done one tri - sprint. I can run like the wind, and I can ride century's no problem.. and I can swim, but I don't swim regularly so that will be where a lot of my new work will be. Will be very active on this board soon!
2013-08-10 10:47 PM
in reply to: tarmac52

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Looks like when Tri Take Me Away left the forum, it kinda died... she was the one who would reply to everyone's questions, etc.
2013-08-10 11:31 PM
in reply to: pistuo

I am doing this plan, and am about 6 weeks out from Redman in Oklahoma. 6 or 7 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Plantar Faciitis and took 30 days off from running.

I have started running again, however I had to modify much of the plan. I skipped week 11 (run focused week) and did week 10, and am now 1 week ahead.

My question to the masses is should I add an extra week to base 3, or take an extra week of taper?
2013-08-11 1:39 AM
in reply to: mx119

User image

Welllington, NZ
I'm by no means an expert but happy to chuck in my recommendations.

I think it's universally accepted now that if you need to ease up on one of the disciplines (and it will be mostly running due to impact injuries) then the best option is to stick with your plan, but adjust your weeks to bump up the other 2 disciplines to accommodate. I completed last years IMNZ on VERY little running (no more than 10k/week and some weeks none!) from 4 months in due to a knee and calf problem, but I did however increase my cycling throughout. I was still not right on the event and the marathon was done as a run/walk but i'm 100% sure that if I had attempted to do the run training I would have DNF'd.

You say you missed week 11? If I were you I would just repeat your current week to bring you back in line. If you feel tired and if necessary, treat this repeat week as an active recovery week i.e. don't go full out to achieve its goals. We want you doing the work but not at the expense of the following weeks.

Lewis.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 16