BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2010-12-30 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3257002

New user

Pittsburgh PA
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open
Hi my name is Mike. I want to start training for my first Tri in 2011. There is a Sprint race in Pittsburgh on 7/31, so that is my goal!
I've been running for the past 6 years, mostly 5k races, several per year... not a heavy schedule. I've been weight training for the past 4 years, prior to that, i would work out on my own.
I'm interested in pursuing a Tri, to "challenge" myself. m

2010-12-30 1:07 PM

Hope I can be included

Name-- Andy

Story--I am 45 years old.  For years I played basketball but wanted to get into something else.  I started running about 5 years ago, but quit.  A friend convinced me to get back into it and we are training together.  Love the variation of sports in training for the triathlon.

Family-- Married with three kids 4, 2, and 6 months

Current Training-- Go to the Y to swim and bike.  Working with a US Masters Swimming Coach on my swimming.  Run in the local park.

Races--Did 2 5ks last year.

2011-- Signed up for my first Triathlon in April.  It is a sprint.  Also doing a few 5ks.

Weight loss-- Lost 44 pounds which my doctor is thrilled with

Am looking forward to getting to know folks, support, and get supported.
2010-12-30 1:14 PM

If you are still accepting, I'd like to join.NAME: CamiSTORY: Used to run track in HS & taught swimming in college, but have not done anything athletic since. Trained 3 years ago to hike the Grand Canyon & decided then to shoot for a Tri, but ruptured 2 discs in my back & needed surgery; just never got back into it. My husband & I have hired a trainer to get into shape and my goal is to do my first Sprint tri this year (Capitol of Texas - May 30). As I work toward this goal, I am reasonably sure that 2 of my boys will want to do it with me (runners & former club swimmers)FAMILY STATUS: Married 19 years with 4 boys (17, 15, 12 & 5)CURRENT TRAINING: 3-days/week with trainer - cardio/strength/endurance/conditioning; workout #7 was yesterdayTHIS YEAR'S RACES: Gruene 3K Turkey Trot (spur of the moment - no training at all [no breakfast either - NOT recommended])2011 RACES: Capitol of Texas TriWEIGHTLOSS: Weigh 143; want to lose 10-15 lbs, but inches are more important than weight at this point.
2010-12-30 1:20 PM

Regular
Hi Gary! I would love to join your mentor group!

STORY:
My name is Stephanie. I am a 33 year old new mommy living in Boston. My baby is 4 months old. I am a school teacher currently on a long-term maternity leave. My birth was quite a traumatic cesarean, and I just now feel like I am getting my body back (abs finally feel good). I am also a yoga instructor and I am very fit. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 7 years with a 4 month old, Ruby! She is the love of my life!!

CURRENT TRAINING: I have a daily power yoga practice and I run occasionally. With the baby it has been hard to resume triathlon specific training (and it is winter). I was swimming daily in a chlorine pool all throughout my pregnancy (even swam a mile the day I gave birth). After I gave birth I read about the harmful effects of chlorine and other chemicals in public pools and that the chemicals can enter breastmilk (eek!) so I stopped swimming. I am joining a gym with a salt pure pool in January. I will also be able to take spinning classes and run (it is the dead of winter here in Boston).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I was pregnant in 2010, so no racing. In 2009 I did an Olympic (3:30) and a Sprint (came in 5th in my age group). I felt very good about both races. 

2011 RACES: HIM in August. Possible HIM in June. Will definitely do some sprints and maybe another Olympic. 

WEIGHTLOSS: No weight loss goals. I am on the thin side - 115-120. 

GOALS: To become a better cyclist - my Olympic was the first time I was riding with a road bike, so I am not sure I really know the full potentials of the bike re: gears, upgrades, and such. Also, during the Olympic I was shocked by my legs reaction to the bike to run transition. I somehow was not prepared for this from my training!

I look forward to training with your community!!!
2010-12-30 1:22 PM

New user

Hi Gary, I would like to join this group.

I began a medically monitored weight management program a year ago using diet, exercise and HCG.  I have lost 84lb; no longer take any medications for blood pressure, cardiomyopathy, reflux, asthma, or high cholesterol.  I am in the best health that I have ever been.   I saw a good friend of mine the other day that I went to High School with and he is amazed that I am in better shape than in High School.  My wife of 30 years is astonished and feels like she has a new man in her life.

I studied Stephen Covey and one of the things he says is to begin with the end in mind.   I began my journey with the intention of getting in the best shape that I can.  At 52 I have a better six pack than I did in High School and cannot tell you how unbelievable I feel.  Now I need to begin the next step, which is preparing for my first triathlon.

I really don't know where to start and that is why I joined this website.  I currently have a desk job, but do some type of activity a day.  I usually go to the gym and work out anywhere from one to two hours a day 4 to 5 times a week.  The other days I take anywhere from a 45 minutes to 90 minute walk.   Most of it is with weights with 20-30 minutes of aerobics.   I try to use a moderate weight and practice resistance lifting.  I have three works outs, 1) Lower Body, 2) Upper Body, 3) Focus areas TTBA (Thighs, Triceps, Butt and Abs).  I'm trying to continue to focus on building lean muscle mass while trying to continue to lose a few more pounds and reduced the amount of loose skin.

Just need some directions on how to modify works outs to prep for a race and what kind of race I should be prepping for.

Thanks for your help.

PS...sorry just noticed there was a format:

Family-- Married with two kids

Current Training—Gym 4-5 times a week, 20-30 min aerobics, 45-60 min weights.

Races—None

2011-- None

Weight loss-- Lost 84 pounds from Dec. 2009 to Dec 2010, at 177lb and could lose another 10-15 more.

John

Edited by Johnhen 2010-12-30 1:27 PM
2010-12-30 1:31 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed
Okay folks we are closed, if there is a straggler that wants in we can accomodate.  I want to welcome the newest arrivals!  We have quite the diverse group which is fantastic!  Some folks with some experience under their belts all the way to those brand new to the sport. This can only make the group stronger. 

I consider myself somewhere between an old pro and a newbie.  I still remember many of my first races jitters but still get the butterflies just prior to my races. 

Over the next few months we are going to have a few group challenges that I will present to the group (hit certain goals, form sub teams to compete, etc).  All in fun and all designed to help you reach your training goals.

Just a couple of reminders if you can post your workouts on your logs it will help me and others with your training questions (not necessary but helpful).

Please put your A races in your signature lines.  BTW, I am going to keep count of the finish lines for the group.  Finish lines can be any race (Tri's, running, swimming, biking) and of any distance.

Also, Race Reports are not optional!  They don't have to be long but everyone can learn a lot from a race report so please plan on posting yours.  I want to read them and learn from them.

Any more diet tips?

Also, if you have questions now is great time.   I know as a beginner I had tons of questions and spent a huge amount of time reading thru BT and other sites.  This group can help speed the process.  Chances are if you have a question someone else has the same one.

2010-12-30 1:33 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Here is the group! (let me know if I misspelled a name or you want to go by something different)
Randy
Kristina
Johnny
Justin
Bert
Marcie
Jerry
Shelly
Debbie
Dorm
LJK
Karen
Mike
Andy
Cami
Stephanie
John
2010-12-30 1:37 PM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Hi Gary,

I too would like to join your group...

NAME: Marty

STORY: I have been doing tri's on and off for about 10 years now (mostly off-road, paddle instead of swim events until 2 years ago). I have done a number of sprints and an Olympic, and run one marathon, but pretty much did no races last year, as it was a "down in the dumps" year for me. I am a Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia survivor for the past 1 1/2 years, although I am currently asymptomatic. I have shaken it off and decided to get back at the training and doing races full swing. My goals are to get stronger in all 3 events, especially the run, plus I want to lose about 40 lbs. I've set my weight loss goal for 90 days.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 rambunctious boys (7 and 8). Travel some with my job, but mostly work from home.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently working on the "Winter Maintenance Plan" and have been sticking to it pretty well for the past 3 weeks. I'm also throwing in some P90X for resistance training. I've been logging all my training and nutrition on BT.

2011 RACES: I haven't officially signed up for any yet, but there are a few trail runs, XTERRA events, off-road triathlons and adventure races I have my eye on. Trying to build the calendar now. I am also contemplating a late-season HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: Again, I would like to drop about 40 lbs. prior to late spring. I've been much more aware of my intake, as I have been logging all meals into BT.

That's about it. I look forward to being a part of the group!

Marty
2010-12-30 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3268410

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
martypit - 2010-12-30 1:37 PM Hi Gary, I too would like to join your group... NAME: Marty STORY: I have been doing tri's on and off for about 10 years now (mostly off-road, paddle instead of swim events until 2 years ago). I have done a number of sprints and an Olympic, and run one marathon, but pretty much did no races last year, as it was a "down in the dumps" year for me. I am a Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia survivor for the past 1 1/2 years, although I am currently asymptomatic. I have shaken it off and decided to get back at the training and doing races full swing. My goals are to get stronger in all 3 events, especially the run, plus I want to lose about 40 lbs. I've set my weight loss goal for 90 days. FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 rambunctious boys (7 and 8). Travel some with my job, but mostly work from home. CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently working on the "Winter Maintenance Plan" and have been sticking to it pretty well for the past 3 weeks. I'm also throwing in some P90X for resistance training. I've been logging all my training and nutrition on BT. 2011 RACES: I haven't officially signed up for any yet, but there are a few trail runs, XTERRA events, off-road triathlons and adventure races I have my eye on. Trying to build the calendar now. I am also contemplating a late-season HIM. WEIGHTLOSS: Again, I would like to drop about 40 lbs. prior to late spring. I've been much more aware of my intake, as I have been logging all meals into BT. That's about it. I look forward to being a part of the group! Marty

Welcome Marty!

Marty  - B2B HIM is in your neck of the woods, late in the year, and a very nice race (albeit a bit cold).  I did the bike and the swim as of the IM as part of a relay team.  Very good race to consider.

Alright Marty is our last new member and will have to turn away any new members for now. 

2010-12-30 2:57 PM

I'd like to join your group!

NAME: BryanPiersol, Bryan
STORY: I've been a long distance cyclist for 11 years and this past August I decided to give a local triathlon a try.  I came in second in my age group, and I was hooked!
FAMILY STATUS: Married for 5 years with two children.
CURRENT TRAINING: I am signed up for a few sprints, one Oly, and a HIM for 2011.  
THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I completed my first triathlon (sprint).  
2011 RACES:  For 2011 I've got a a 1/2 Marathon (Nations Marathon), a sprint tri (DC Triathlon), Olympic tri (Nations Triathlon), and 70.3 (Beach2Battleship).
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm a steady 138-140.  I would be happy to lose about 5 lbs though.
INJURIES:  I may need to have some surgery to alleviate some significant pain in my hip from running...hopefully that wont mess anything but the 1/2 marathon up!
2010-12-30 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3268590

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Bryanjpiersol - 2010-12-30 2:57 PM I'd like to join your group!

NAME: BryanPiersol, Bryan
STORY: I've been a long distance cyclist for 11 years and this past August I decided to give a local triathlon a try.  I came in second in my age group, and I was hooked!
FAMILY STATUS: Married for 5 years with two children.
CURRENT TRAINING: I am signed up for a few sprints, one Oly, and a HIM for 2011.  
THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I completed my first triathlon (sprint).  
2011 RACES:  For 2011 I've got a a 1/2 Marathon (Nations Marathon), a sprint tri (DC Triathlon), Olympic tri (Nations Triathlon), and 70.3 (Beach2Battleship).
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm a steady 138-140.  I would be happy to lose about 5 lbs though.
INJURIES:  I may need to have some surgery to alleviate some significant pain in my hip from running...hopefully that wont mess anything but the 1/2 marathon up!

Okay Bryan, you are the last of the group!

2010-12-30 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed!
Just so you in Gary's group will know, he likes to be referred to as "Billy's Quarterback".   Good luck in you new group, Gary is a great guy and you will enjoy his leadership!  If you will let me Gary, I would like to monitor and comment once in a while.
2010-12-30 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3268929

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
elcaminobill - 2010-12-30 7:11 PM Just so you in Gary's group will know, he likes to be referred to as "Billy's Quarterback".   Good luck in you new group, Gary is a great guy and you will enjoy his leadership!  If you will let me Gary, I would like to monitor and comment once in a while.

Billy!  You are always welcome here.  For the group, Billy is a co-member of a mentor group I am in (Left.Right.Repeat's Mentor group).  Billy finished IM Lou this year and we did B2B together in relay teams.  He's a great guy and anyone considering IM Lou should look him up.
2010-12-30 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3268525

User image

Charlotte, NC
Thanks much Gary! I look forward to the journey!
2010-12-30 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3267436

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
Hey JaunO

Sounds good, I think we will be doing some of the same races...I'm doing the groundhog run, the half marathon in April in Oltahe, and the KC tri in May, and then the 70.3 in Lawence, and then something longer in the fall. I usually do my bike rides around longview lake. I work in OP, so sometimes i'll do rides or runs around there. I would think it would be pretty cool to do some rides or long runs. I have to warn you, i'm a VERY SLOW runner. i do about 12min/mile on runs longer than 5 miles. I do about 15-20mph on the bike. So, I might hold you back, and i understand if you don't want to run.

2010-12-30 9:43 PM

This looks like a good group. I am a real newbie so I thought I would post some questions. I did sign up for my 1st triathlon today.1) Any good sources for nutrition? 2) Right now I tend to do one sport a day ( running,biking,or swimming) Should I mix it up?3) I need to buy a bike but can't spend the thousands for a triathlon bike. Any advice?ThanksAndyY indoor triathlonMini man triathlon Long Island 5k

2010-12-30 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3269113

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
knoxdouglas - 2010-12-30 9:43 PM This looks like a good group. I am a real newbie so I thought I would post some questions. I did sign up for my 1st triathlon today.1) Any good sources for nutrition? 2) Right now I tend to do one sport a day ( running,biking,or swimming) Should I mix it up?3) I need to buy a bike but can't spend the thousands for a triathlon bike. Any advice?ThanksAndyY indoor triathlonMini man triathlon Long Island 5k

Will throw my 2 cents in:
1.  For what distance?   Sprints typically you can use gels and gatorade/powerade or even water.  Some folks don't tolerate the x-ades and will have to try alternatives.  As you go longer distances where calorie counts come into play I use Infinit which has worked pretty well for me and I almost have my mixture dialed in.

2.  Yes, mainly so you get the feel of race day.  Running any distance after swimming and biking is a little different than just going for a run.  My first few sprints I had to deal with calf cramps the first 1/4 of my run after biking.  With better fitness those issues are gone.

3.  There is a lot to learn about Tri bikes and fit is the key.  My recommendation is if you are going after sprints is to start off with a used bike from craigslist, ebay, etc, get a couple of races under your belt and study the different options.   Understanding the different geometry of each brand of bike and what will fit you is very important.

Hope this helps.
2010-12-30 11:07 PM
in reply to: #3269113

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
1. I will let other answer about nutrition.
2. I did my first sprint tri last summer and the best advice someone gave me is make sure you train for the bike to run transition. Once your legs get going for 30-40 minutes on a bike it feels awkward to start running, make sure you practice that. AKA brick workouts
3. Just today i bought my first bike and i was in the same boat. Didn't want to spend a lot of money...yet. I live in Lincoln, NE and they have a handful of bike shops here. I went to each one told them my budget ($700), told them I needed an introductory road bike and took 5 different bikes out on test rides. At that level most are the very similar with minor differences. If you are buying new from a shop you could easily add 300-400 more for pedals, shoes, aerobars, water bottle cages, pump, saddle bag, flat repair kit, bike computer. Some of those are optional but you obviously need a pump, saddle bag, and flat repair kit. I was lucky enough to find a used tri bike with aerobars and bike computer on craigslist for $500. If I would've bought new Giant Defy 3 or Felt T95 were the two I was debating over.
2010-12-30 11:38 PM
in reply to: #3268128

User image

Expert
Hammond
Thanks Gary. Riding the trace sounds like a great goal for me to work towards. Guess I need to get moving on getting a bike though-lol.

My diet tip is three small meals and two snacks a day. Have some protein, carb and fruit or vegetable with the three meals and some type of carb/protein for one snack and fruit for the second snack. Also use a child's dinner plate that is divided to determine portion sizes. The larger section should be for fuit/vegetable and the two smaller sections should be for protein and carb.

Shelly

Iron Girl sprint- may 2011- New Orleans
2010-12-31 8:49 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Justin - New bike?  Where are the pics?  Everyone likes bike porn so you must post a pic of your new ride!

Shelly - Thanks for the tip, let us know when you get your bike.   We expect pics and feel free to post any questions you may  have when getting one. 

I have one last run to get done for 2010 and than its time to get ready for 2011.  Hope everyone has a safe New Years Eve and expect everyone to be ready for a great 2011.

Gary
2010-12-31 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3269511

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
Here it is. 2008 Scattante T560.  All the bikes shops put me on a 56cm and this one is a 54cm. Like I said before bike w/aerobars and cyclometer for $500. I couldn't say no. Now I have a little extra money to change anything I need to. The shifters are at the top of the aerobars which will take some getting used to.

(123000_1958[00].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
123000_1958[00].jpg (64KB - 22 downloads)

2010-12-31 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Nice bike!  Great deal too.  The aero bars are something that I just don't think I could get used to, my road bike will probably remain without them, since the one time I tried to use them I didn't feel like I had great control of the bike (and as my husband tells me all the time, I have to be in control!). 

Happy New Year to everyone, here's to a new start tomorrow!

2010-12-31 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
When I did Austin 70.3 back in October, I signed up for a drawing at the expo. Well I recieved an email from PHLY insurance saying that I my name was picked, and I won a free entry into a Ironman event in 2011. I have done some checking around, and this does not appear to be a scam or some way of getting me to buy anything. It seems to be legit. So I have a pick of several ironman and ironman 70.3 events to choose from. If this turns out to be a true, i'll do Ironman AZ in Novemeber. I wanted to do one in 2012, but it looks like I will now try one in 2011.
2010-12-31 6:44 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Justin - Nice, what's her name?

Marcie - Love my aerobars but they did take awhile to get use to. 

Randy - Free entry, even to IM races that are full?  Wow, if thats true you just hit the jackpot!

Since Justin starting the bike show here is mine (1998 QR Tequilo), her name is Lady.   Picture taken in my horse pasture just before NOLA 2010:
Lady

Okay folks, lets see what you are riding!
2010-12-31 9:41 PM

Regular
 I will post a pic of my bike when I can find it on the comp :-) It is a trek 2.1. 

I would love to get a trainer so I can ride during the winter but I have no idea how to find one to fit my bike. I am such a bike dummy... any advice? Do you recommend a trainer, or can I just ride a bike at the gym? 

Steph 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115