BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-01-04 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3275552

New user
Woolwich, Maine
Subject: RE: Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - OPEN
Hi Lora,

I've been reading though the posts, what a great group of people we have!  I'm already inspired by reading everyone's story.

I am proud about the swimming, I thought it would be something that I would hate, but it came easily and now I love doing it. 

I've been to the doctor about my knee, she's thinking that I have a lack of muscle around my left kneecap causing it to slide out of place.  I also have wide hips... which doesn't help out much.  I'm working on strengthening if it doesn't get better then I'll go see her again for a closer look. 

I do take my dog for long runs, 8 miles seems to be her limit.  When I do longer runs I drop her off at the house and keep going.  She's good at keeping me running, in the summer I'd get up at 4:30 and take her running, she'd be by the bed waiting for me to get up. 

I stared my training log, I'm following one of the programs I found here.  I'm not sure if I have it set up right but I'll figure it out as I go.  Its only been a day but I'm already addicted to BT! 

2011-01-04 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3257199

User image

Denver

Name
rachlong / Rachel

Story
I turn 40 in Octoer of this year and my gift to myself is that I want to train to complete 3 sprint distance triathlons this year.  My fitness level has gone up and down in the last 20 years but the last 3 years have been getting steadily better.  I really hit bottom during grad school and was ready to get out the sitting-rut upon graduation.  Fortunately at the time I had a great friend who counted on me to be her get-moving buddy.  She would sign us up for things and I would promise to go with her.  She's since moved so I am working on motivating on my own now.  I have a pretty flexible job and can usually work in the training around my work hours, although it can get tough when new projects roll in all at once.

Family Status

Married with a 3 year-old golden retriever.  We also have a loaner cat at the moment.

Current Training
I started working with a personal trainer 3 years ago and have steadily been getting more fit.  For Christmas last year my boss gave me an iTouch and on a whim, I decided to try the Couch to 5K program.  I've always hated running due to childhood asthma.  I'm now working on the bridge to 10K and just love getting out and getting the run in.  I am currently running 2-3 days a week and do strength training a couple of days a week.  I am addicted to my bikram yoga class on Saturdays.  I used to swim competitively and am looking foward to getting back in the water.  I'll start working on that this week.  The biking is the one that makes me anxious.  When I get out on the trails here in the Denver area, I swear I am the slowest person out there and it's frustrating.  I'm going to need a less clunky bike.  The other challenging thing is that we have a 3-week trip abroad in May and I need to figure out how I can keep up on my training while we are on vacation.

2011 Races
8/7/11 - Tri for the Cure, Denver - this is the main one I have targeted so far

Weight Loss
Ugh.  I lost 40 pounds after grad school but have slowly been gaining again.  I'm trying to drop at least the 10 I gained back last year.

If you still have room, I would love to join your group!

2011-01-04 3:23 PM

User image

Minneapolis

When can I start being mentored?
I can begin immediately. Please, lol!

Namejpenn815/Jina

Story

Hi, I want to do my first triathlon because I am ready to reclaim my health and strength and I want to see myself as powerful again.  That sounds a bit mellow dramatic, but I have done some amazingly brave things in my life, and as I have gotten older, and much happier, I seem to have softened to the point where I have lost some of that UMPH!  I want to reconnect with that inner warrior and give her something positive to accomplish.

I am married to a triathlete, who moved into that sport from distance running.  We have a number of friends doing tri's as well and all last summer I watched as they went off on their runs and bikes, and felt like I would never be able to do that.  I have realized the biggest thing holding me back is I don't like to look foolish and I don't like to be a beginner.  I was in a car accident last May and I have such intense soft tissue damage in my back that it is causing mild scoliosis. So, now I need to decide if I am going to "manage pain" the rest of my life, or work through the pain and reclaim my health.

So, for the New Year, I signed up for a sprint tri June 5th, bought a wet suit on deep discount 2 sizes smaller than I am now, and joined this site as a gold member and designed my training plan.  Now, I think a mentor and support would be a great addition.

Family Status

Married, 3 adult kids and 1 adult stepson, two old lady dogs.

Current Training
I am starting from scratch.  run and swim 2x a week and bike 3 times.  I did the custom design program on here, and have added my physical therapy exercises, gyrotonics and strength training.  I am already whining because of the increase in headaches, but that is going to happen for a while until my body becomes stronger.

This Year’s Races
6/5/11 Buffalo Triathlon - REGISTERED
9/10/11 Square Lake Tri- REGISTERED

Weight Loss
I need to lose 30-45 pounds to be back to my healthy weight.  I am not making this my main priority, but it should happen naturally if I train and track my nutrician.

2011-01-04 3:26 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Oh should have added, I am seeing a doc and PT for the back, so what they say will be factored in to my training schedule.  There isn't any structural issue, so more exercise and working through the pain is the best way forward.
2011-01-04 4:01 PM

User image

New user
Texas

Name
mquevedo/ Marie

Story
I'll be 38 in March.  I have complete one sprint triathlon almost two years ago with the help of a mentoring group under a different username.  I couldn't remember what it was so I had to create a new one.  The year I completed the triathlon I also trained for a marathon.  My husband and I got all the way to a half marathon and life got in the way.  I have run on and off, but not consistantly.  I'm a professional photographer.  When the studio gets busy, I stop training because it consumes me.  I have this crazy gene in me that once I can run three miles or swim 100 meters that makes me want to Ironman.  It's on my bucket list of things that must happen before I turn 40. tick tick tick.

Family Status

Married with one ten year old daughter

Current Training
ha ha ha ha.  I've been running sporadically and the most I have run without stopping is two miles.  Most of my workouts have consisted of a run/walk approach.  I just wanted to stay outside.

2011 Races

Haven't registered for one yet.  But looking at one in April.

Weight Loss
I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds. 

Thanks for giving back and being a mentor.  I can't wait to get to know everyone on this group.

2011-01-04 6:35 PM

New user

Hello Lora,
I didn't know if you were still accepting mentoree's for the program. But I would like to join.

NAME: Maria

STORY:I have ran 5k's and i think the furthest I have ran is 5 miles. I have biked to work which is about 13 miles. And I swim in the summer but really never have put the three together. It actually kinds of scares me- I am not sure why but I am very intrigued by it as well. I suppose i would start with a small triathlon. I do like running and my goal is to get into better shape this year. I think swimming is my worst area but I don't have a pool right now that I can train in for the winter.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful husband and i have two puppies (they do my walking training with me)

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am starting back up to do 5k's. it has been a few years since i was active like that. I would like to train for a half marathon and/or full marathon-

2011 RACES: None yet- i haven't done the research yet to see what is in my area.

2011-01-04 7:41 PM

Hi Lora.

My name is Gina.  I am 49 and have never done any kind of triathlon or marathon.  I have been very physically active...I walk 5 miles in an hour 3-4 times a week with my dog, swim laps 1-2x a week for an hour and strength train 3x a week.  I will be turning 50 at the end of 2011 and am looking to shake things up!  I'm kinda scared to dive into this (no pun intended!) but I am willing to give it my all.  One small problem...I hate running!  UGH!  But, I know there are all kinds of programs out there to help me work up to it.  I ride my bike a few times a month with my teenage son, spring through fall (we live in Michigan) and we go 7-10 miles easily at a time.  But, I don't have a fancy bike, just a regular woman's bike with a basket on it  Tongue out!!  (My husband tells me I look like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz).  I'd be willing to buy one as I get better, though.  I am happy with my weight...thanks to the strength training I can eat quite a bit without gaining.  I am a health nut who is constantly harassing my family about eating healthy!

I am a breast cancer survivor (2008).  I am a registered nurse and am currently studying to get my personal trainer certification.  I have been married to an awesome guy for 22 years and have two sons- one who has autism, a yellow lab named Lizzie (hence, the sign-on name) and a cat.

There is a mini triathlon near my home in August that I would really like to do.  Given what I've told you, do you think this is "do-able"?  I am willing to work hard.  I am not very techno-savvy, so I still need to play around on this website to figure out all it offers, as far as posting my training schedules, etc.  But, I would love to join this group and benefit from all the experience and knowledge you and  the other members have to offer.

This may sound strange, but I'm kinda scared of running.  I've heard about people who ruin their knees, have chronic back pain from pounding the pavement, etc.  But, I also see people who literally become addicted to it, so there must be something about it that makes people keep doing it!
2011-01-04 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3276438

User image

Queens/Nassau County
tlynn721 - 2011-01-04 9:55 AM Hi,

I haven't found the date for the Tobay Tri yet but it's usually August.  Just making assumptions!  Where in Nassau County are you?  I live in Long Beach and would love a workout partner   I'm also a certified scuba diver and have been swimming in the open ocean since I was 3 so I would be happy to work with you on any phobias you have about the water.  Let me know!

Tracy

Wow thanks that would be very helpful! I live in Queens, and work in Westbury. I'm not sure if it is the most realistic thing but i will try!!
2011-01-05 8:06 AM

User image

Hi Lora,

I loved your blog post about New Year’s. I could care less about it as well. I awoke around 12:20 a.m. said happy New Year to myself and promptly went back to sleep. I also loved the post about the pale green monster; that was just great and thanks for sharing. I’m technically not a first timer but I am still a newbie. If the group and you will have me, I’m in.

Name
Njsole/xandra

Story
I have been physically active in one form or another since my 20’s (now closing in on mid-40’s). I was into running for a bit when I was a teen, did a few races then forgot all about it. The real reason I got into Triathlon is that I was celebrating 5 yrs of being a colon cancer survivor and figured what better way then to go big and TRI. I didn’t start out thinking about tri’s; I just wanted to run some 5k’s, maybe a 10k. Then I saw the word Triathlon pop up here and there and it got me to thinking. When I found out about sprint distances I said to myself, why not! In July I completed the NJ state (sprint dist) triathlon. I trained on my own loosely using one of the BT training programs. My running was already decent so I concentrated on just being able to do the distances in the swim and bike. I was also dealing with a knee injury at the time.

I really would like to do some more sprint distance races this year, maybe 3. I wish I could say I was ready for an oly but my schedule does not allow for that kind of training time and I really need to build a good base. So this year’s goal is to build, build, build and remain injury free. I have loosely committed to running a half marathon relay in May and shook on the Disney half marathon for 2012. What I hope to get from this group is accountability, support and inspiration (and maybe a little help with my own green monsters). I do well when I have a goal and am accountable for my training.

Family  - Married (not by fed./state law), one pre-schooler, one dog, two cats and two fish.

Current Training
I’m trying to get back into something consistent. I’m using the 2x balanced sprint training program from this site, though have not been successful yet at getting all the training in.

2010 Races
6/10 - Run for Dad 5k
7/10 – NJ State Sprint Tri
9/10 – Century for the Cure (40 mile leg)
10/10 – Asbury Park Marathon Relay (one leg, aprox 3.2 mi)
10/10 – Monster Dash 5k (in costume, giant pumpkin over my head)

Weight Loss
I’m a good, healthy weight but would prefer for my ‘round the middle’ tire to go back to road bike size rather then the hybrid size it is now. I believe this will happen when I get serious with training.

So if it’s ok to join, I look forward to learning about all of you. I have to look into opening up my logs; will do that a little later.

-x

Edited by njsole 2011-01-05 9:26 AM
2011-01-05 8:28 AM

User image

New user

Name: Candi

Story:

I have wanted to do a triathlon for years and this year I've found a couple people at work who have all agreed to do our first one together.  We will be doing the Buffalo, MN Triathlon on June 5th.  I, however, am the least fit of the bunch and want a group like this to help stay encouraged and celebrate each others successes.  In 2007 I completed the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classis (204 miles over 2 days) with Team in Training and I loved that feeling when I crossed the finish line.  Can't wait to experience it again.

Family Status: Single with 1 persian and 1 bald cat (they balance each other out)

Current Training
I have been doing spin classes and elliptical at the YMCA and started CrossFit once a week last November.

Weight Loss
Honestly I have a ton of weight to lose....ok not technically a TON but you get the idea.  My actual goal is to lose 100lbs.  I've lost 15lbs so far.

I am so excited to have found you!

Candi
2011-01-05 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3279000

User image

Minneapolis
Hi Candi-
I'm doing my 1st at Buffalo too!  Can you believe we are committing to this with 2 feet of snow on the ground!  Maybe we can do some training together.  My husband has a training group, but they are all way way ahead of me.
Jina

2011-01-05 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED
Headin' to work. Will catch up with you all later on today!
2011-01-05 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3276519

Subject: RE: Still Open?
Thanks so much for your reply Lora! I am super pumped and excited that there was still room for me!! I will reply shortly with a brief bio of myself  

Thanks sooo much!!!!

Looking forward to sharing stories and experiencing this tri journey with this amazing group of women!  

Raveen 
2011-01-05 2:11 PM

User image

Hi Lora,

Room for one more? I won't need much one-on-one. It's just nice to be part of a group - and to be more accountable. Smile

I did a sprint last year and am planning a du and another sprint this year.

Thanks!
Heather
2011-01-05 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3275573

User image

San Francisco
Thanks for having me and looking forward to being a part of the group!

One of the dogs is a runner, but the other is a bag of lazy bones.

2011-01-05 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3279066

User image

New user

Wow, that's awesome!!!!  I wondered if by chance someone else might be from right here in Minnesota's frozen tundra. Smile  I would love do some training together.  Are you actually in Buffalo? I live in the North Metro area. 

To our success!!!

2011-01-06 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3277017

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
plink - 2011-01-04 1:37 PM Hi Lora,

I've been reading though the posts, what a great group of people we have!  I'm already inspired by reading everyone's story.

I am proud about the swimming, I thought it would be something that I would hate, but it came easily and now I love doing it. 

I've been to the doctor about my knee, she's thinking that I have a lack of muscle around my left kneecap causing it to slide out of place.  I also have wide hips... which doesn't help out much.  I'm working on strengthening if it doesn't get better then I'll go see her again for a closer look. 

I do take my dog for long runs, 8 miles seems to be her limit.  When I do longer runs I drop her off at the house and keep going.  She's good at keeping me running, in the summer I'd get up at 4:30 and take her running, she'd be by the bed waiting for me to get up. 

I stared my training log, I'm following one of the programs I found here.  I'm not sure if I have it set up right but I'll figure it out as I go.  Its only been a day but I'm already addicted to BT! 

I agree! Glad to hear you've come to love the water. Yikes, that's crazy about your knee. Strengthening is a smart way to go. That's terrific that you can go back to your house after a long run to drop off the pooch and have the will to head back out again. It would be tempting to just stay!

BT is easily addicting so be forwarned.
2011-01-06 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3277491

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
rachlong - 2011-01-04 4:08 PM

Name
rachlong / Rachel

Story
I turn 40 in Octoer of this year and my gift to myself is that I want to train to complete 3 sprint distance triathlons this year.  My fitness level has gone up and down in the last 20 years but the last 3 years have been getting steadily better.  I really hit bottom during grad school and was ready to get out the sitting-rut upon graduation.  Fortunately at the time I had a great friend who counted on me to be her get-moving buddy.  She would sign us up for things and I would promise to go with her.  She's since moved so I am working on motivating on my own now.  I have a pretty flexible job and can usually work in the training around my work hours, although it can get tough when new projects roll in all at once.

Family Status

Married with a 3 year-old golden retriever.  We also have a loaner cat at the moment.

Current Training
I started working with a personal trainer 3 years ago and have steadily been getting more fit.  For Christmas last year my boss gave me an iTouch and on a whim, I decided to try the Couch to 5K program.  I've always hated running due to childhood asthma.  I'm now working on the bridge to 10K and just love getting out and getting the run in.  I am currently running 2-3 days a week and do strength training a couple of days a week.  I am addicted to my bikram yoga class on Saturdays.  I used to swim competitively and am looking foward to getting back in the water.  I'll start working on that this week.  The biking is the one that makes me anxious.  When I get out on the trails here in the Denver area, I swear I am the slowest person out there and it's frustrating.  I'm going to need a less clunky bike.  The other challenging thing is that we have a 3-week trip abroad in May and I need to figure out how I can keep up on my training while we are on vacation.

2011 Races
8/7/11 - Tri for the Cure, Denver - this is the main one I have targeted so far

Weight Loss
Ugh.  I lost 40 pounds after grad school but have slowly been gaining again.  I'm trying to drop at least the 10 I gained back last year.

If you still have room, I would love to join your group!

Welcome aboard, Rachel! Glad you're taking your three years to a different level. The bikram yoga sounds amazing. Most people agree that yoga is underutilized by triathletes and that it can be so beneficial to our training.

I had a department store bike my first season with the handlebars that stick up. It was also a heavy bike and I knew those things were keeping my mph down. I used to be complete back of the pack but after a year of training, I could see it start to pay off. Just put in the work of your plan and you can see results. Plus, 3x Ironman champ Chrissie Wellington lives in Denver I believe, so it might be her passing you, so don't feel bad.

Again, welcome to the group.
2011-01-06 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3277541

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jpenn815 - 2011-01-04 4:23 PM

When can I start being mentored?
I can begin immediately. Please, lol!

Namejpenn815/Jina

Story

Hi, I want to do my first triathlon because I am ready to reclaim my health and strength and I want to see myself as powerful again.  That sounds a bit mellow dramatic, but I have done some amazingly brave things in my life, and as I have gotten older, and much happier, I seem to have softened to the point where I have lost some of that UMPH!  I want to reconnect with that inner warrior and give her something positive to accomplish.

I am married to a triathlete, who moved into that sport from distance running.  We have a number of friends doing tri's as well and all last summer I watched as they went off on their runs and bikes, and felt like I would never be able to do that.  I have realized the biggest thing holding me back is I don't like to look foolish and I don't like to be a beginner.  I was in a car accident last May and I have such intense soft tissue damage in my back that it is causing mild scoliosis. So, now I need to decide if I am going to "manage pain" the rest of my life, or work through the pain and reclaim my health.

So, for the New Year, I signed up for a sprint tri June 5th, bought a wet suit on deep discount 2 sizes smaller than I am now, and joined this site as a gold member and designed my training plan.  Now, I think a mentor and support would be a great addition.

Family Status

Married, 3 adult kids and 1 adult stepson, two old lady dogs.

Current Training
I am starting from scratch.  run and swim 2x a week and bike 3 times.  I did the custom design program on here, and have added my physical therapy exercises, gyrotonics and strength training.  I am already whining because of the increase in headaches, but that is going to happen for a while until my body becomes stronger.

This Year’s Races
6/5/11 Buffalo Triathlon - REGISTERED
9/10/11 Square Lake Tri- REGISTERED

Weight Loss
I need to lose 30-45 pounds to be back to my healthy weight.  I am not making this my main priority, but it should happen naturally if I train and track my nutrician.

Ha ha. I feel like the queen of melodrama sometimes, despite my best efforts. You'll fit right in.

Triathlons, I truly believe, can help you find that warrior. Even if no one else knows that you're into this crazy world, there's a sense of pride in knowing that being a triathlete is a part of you.

Sorry to hear about your accident and the subsequent back problems. If your doc is cool with the training and has helped with guidelines, their opinion counts. It is great that you've got so many friends into this sport. That'll help keep you motivated, too.

No one likes to feel foolish and when you're learning something new, it just might happen to be honest. It also makes that finish line even better and can serve as hilarious stories over the dinner table. There's not a triathlete on here who hasn't "made out with the pavement" either forgetting to unclip in time, sliding on pebble rocks...you name it. When it happens, just come to this group or go to Tri Talk, post a thread telling us about it and invite everyone else in for the laugh.

Anyway, welcome to the group, Jina!
2011-01-06 6:53 AM
in reply to: #3277550

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jpenn815 - 2011-01-04 4:26 PM Oh should have added, I am seeing a doc and PT for the back, so what they say will be factored in to my training schedule.  There isn't any structural issue, so more exercise and working through the pain is the best way forward.

A ha! Great!
2011-01-06 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Headin' in to work again. Will touch base later on today.

2011-01-06 7:02 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Hi Lora,
so I made it to the pool twice this week; hoping tomorrow will fulfill my plan of 3 practices a week and one coaching (Saturday).

Can you or anyone else advise me on a few things?  Also how are we going to manage all these posts as we get going? It's going to be a lot to sift through (though we should have such problems Foot in mouth

Routines. I have trouble sticking to them. I get overwhelmed. I work 40-60 hours a week (I'm a teacher and department chairperson and finishing coursework to take exams to get the certification for School Administration). I am a gluten free vegan and try to eat healthy but I don't get a lunch break and have to chisel away any time at work. So Nutrition is also an issue. I know if I am goign to get stronger and faster I will have to eat more consciously. Also, my husband and I are hoping to conceive one of these months so I do need to take care of myself!!

OK, so here's my 2011 resolution:

Up at 4:30 (that's not happening yet) make shakes, get lunch ready for work (REALITY up at 5 and already late)

MONDAY-WEDS-FRIDAY
Get too pool, swim 5:30 - 6
Get to work 6:30; work till 3 or 4

TUES-THURSDAY: kettlebell morning training at home.

AFTERNOON: 
Monday: Spinning;  one or two running sessions during the week.

WEEKEND: long run/run-bike; maybe a yoga session.

I have a heart rate monitor and am getting a swim lap watch. Where to go from here? Thanks!

2011-01-06 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3278120

User image

So I guess this is the group. Hi everyone.

Edited by njsole 2011-01-06 7:44 AM
2011-01-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3281390

User image

Denver
Thanks, Lora - I will remember that when I'm out on the bike paths.  It's funny that you mentioned an Iron Woman champ.  Listening to the Radiolab episode "Limits", which started with an interview with Julie Moss, is one of the things that got me to thinking about triathlons last year.  That interview keeps me inspired.  I lover her description of the voice in her head that told her to keep going.

I got back in the water yesterday.  It's been about 9 years since my last lap swim.  It was like coming home!  Looking forward to the weather warming up and getting some open water time.
2011-01-06 5:25 PM

User image

New user

Hi All,

So excited to be part of this group!  My last event was 3 years ago and was a double century riding from Seattle WA to Portland, OR.  I was so nervous about crashing.....until I crashed.  My brother who was riding behind me at the moment was uncomfortable sitting for several days after hitting his front break a bit too hard as he tried to avoid running over me.  He laughed his fool head off....right after I started breathing again!  I realized that in most cases the crash isn't as bad as you had built up in your mind and it definitely makes for great stories.  My brother still talks about the "Most Spectaculr Crash He's Ever Seen!" 

Also excited because I have now picked a training plan and can't wait to get started.

Cheers!
Candi
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11