BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-01-18 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3257199

User image

Long Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED
Hi all!

Thanks for the inspires.  I haven't gotten the hang of them yet and tried to reply but lost the window.

Yes, that is a picture of me scuba diving and petting a stingray.  I spent a lot of time in Grand Cayman and that stingray, Lefty, was very playful.  It's so worth it.  I was terrified on my first dive even though I grew up swimming in open water.  It's weird breathing underwater at first but here I am 10 years later with tons of divers under my belt!

Also, no shoe shopping today   My car is at the mechanic and I'm stuck in the office until the brakes are done.  Hopefully tomorrow!

Tracy

2011-01-18 11:18 AM

User image

Long Beach, NY
I just thought of an interesting question...is there a specific requirement for swimsuits?  I mean as far as color.  Mine is blue camouflage but whenever I look at tri pictures everyone seems to be wearing solids, mostly black.  Thanks
2011-01-18 4:29 PM

User image

New user
Texas
Yay Tracy!!  Glad you gave it some more thought.
2011-01-19 6:29 PM

User image

Long Beach, NY
The board has been pretty quiet.  I have some news.  I had a guest on my radio show last night who is an MMA fighter.  I'm meeting with him Saturday for a training session and we'll see how it goes.  I told him I hope we can work out something (his fees are pretty high) to continue for a couple of months.  I'm so excited!  A little scared but I think he could give me the swift kick that I need.

How is everyone else doing?
2011-01-19 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Tracy: Yay! Glad you've decided to stick around! As far as swimsuit requirements, there are none with regard to color. The only reason I'd worn black was for the same reason I bought the color in the first place: Black is slimming! I think wearing a suit that stands out is a good idea, actually. It helps family or friends spot you heading in to the swim and heading out. Good luck with your training session tomorrow!

Sarah: Feeling any better?

Dawn: Though you won't be "in it to win it" it sure might motivate you to do a little more than you thought possible. Definitely keep an eye on that knee no matter what!

Challenge: Okay, so let's make it through the end of January, say the 30th, having begun this past Monday. You can post your weekly hours Sunday evening.

More on fit: I'd brought up the importance of running shoe fit earlier. I'd also like to mention the importance of a good bike fit, too. Having a bike that fits you will also help you avoid injury. The shop from where I'd bought my bike did a body laser scan and helped me adjust. There was one bike left in my price range, had my basic minimum requirement and was in my size. If they had not been able to have adjusted it, I would have had to have walked away.

Other than running shoes and the bike, there isn't much else that's super critical to performance.

Winter storm warning headed my way tomorrow. Will be up early to do some reporting. You all have an awesome night!
2011-01-19 8:09 PM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Hey all,
well I took monday, tuesday and this morning off (was supposed to log in two swims already this week) at the advice of recovery. i also got some prednisone from my doc (I don't usually take any meds) and am feeling a lot better. I actually did Spinning Class tonight. The vibe in the class was great, fun people and good music. I love how spinning class is for those of us who are maybe too old for clubbing but we can hang out with loud music as if we're clubbing! I'm hoping I can keep my energy level after I am done with the drugs!

I'd love to hear what others have to say about sleep. I have such a hard time getting up in the morning, and i am starting to wonder if I have brain damage (LOL) from sleep deprivation. Last night I forced myself to get 7.5 hours sleep, which is how I missed swim.

Anyway, not much to say here, just on the mend and trying as usual to keep a happy mind and not get so negative all the time. Cheers ladies!

2011-01-19 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3310018

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
shaptavajra - 2011-01-19 9:09 PM Hey all,
well I took monday, tuesday and this morning off (was supposed to log in two swims already this week) at the advice of recovery. i also got some prednisone from my doc (I don't usually take any meds) and am feeling a lot better. I actually did Spinning Class tonight. The vibe in the class was great, fun people and good music. I love how spinning class is for those of us who are maybe too old for clubbing but we can hang out with loud music as if we're clubbing! I'm hoping I can keep my energy level after I am done with the drugs!

I'd love to hear what others have to say about sleep. I have such a hard time getting up in the morning, and i am starting to wonder if I have brain damage (LOL) from sleep deprivation. Last night I forced myself to get 7.5 hours sleep, which is how I missed swim.

Anyway, not much to say here, just on the mend and trying as usual to keep a happy mind and not get so negative all the time. Cheers ladies!

Ha ha. I always feel cool when the instructor's pulled something off of iTune's top 10. Glad you're feeling better.

I'm a great sleeper, just not a great getter-upper. A couple tricks I've learned to help myself get up is to put the alarm clock across the room so I HAVE to get up. Another one that takes trial and error is drinking before bed so that the urge to use the bathroom gets bad enough around wake up time. Again, you have to play with timing, but I've had it work when I've needed it to.
2011-01-19 11:37 PM

Sorry I've been so quiet. I've been travelling for much of the last two weeks, to include starting a new job on Monday.
Please count me in for the Challenge. Sounds fun - and motivating!
I, too, have a hard time getting up to workout as I am anything but a morning person. However, it gets easier the more consistent I am in doing it. And I like reflecting back throughout the day that my workout is already done. Hey, we're almost 3 weeks into 2011 and still working out. I know more than a few people whom have already given up on their New Year's resolutions on fitness and nutrition. So another thing for us to celebrate.

Any advice on wetsuits? Sleeveless or full sleeves? Is one brand better than another? What do you wear underneath? I don't have any experience with wetsuits whatsoever.

2011-01-20 6:25 AM
in reply to: #3310299

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
rindynote - 2011-01-20 12:37 AM Sorry I've been so quiet. I've been travelling for much of the last two weeks, to include starting a new job on Monday.
Please count me in for the Challenge. Sounds fun - and motivating!
I, too, have a hard time getting up to workout as I am anything but a morning person. However, it gets easier the more consistent I am in doing it. And I like reflecting back throughout the day that my workout is already done. Hey, we're almost 3 weeks into 2011 and still working out. I know more than a few people whom have already given up on their New Year's resolutions on fitness and nutrition. So another thing for us to celebrate.

Any advice on wetsuits? Sleeveless or full sleeves? Is one brand better than another? What do you wear underneath? I don't have any experience with wetsuits whatsoever.

So true about folks who've already given up. That's the great thing about tri training: The challenge is so great, giving up is harder to do.

With regard to wetsuits, I went ahead and bought the full one. I get cold very easily and wanted my arms to be covered. Some like the sleeveless so they don't feel so constricted in the arms when they swim. I think if you can practice ahead of time swimming in one, the more comfortable you'll be.

You just wear your tri suit underneath. I'm also faster swimming in a wetsuit, so that's always a plus!
2011-01-20 8:59 AM

New user
Woolwich, Maine
Good morning!

I also hate mornings, if I could sleep until 8 or 9 everyday I'd be happy, if I could also sleep 10 hours a day I would be happy!    I do however get up early to exercise.  Like it was mentioned before I love looking back during the day and knowing I'm done with the workout.  I also think I'm less likely to eat bad if I've already worked out. 
You do get used to getting up early, now I wake up before the alarm (around 4:15) it takes about a month for me to get to that point.  I also go to bed early.  I'm usually in bed by 8:45pm and I read a book for about a 1/2 hour then go to sleep (I'm reading Born to Run right now, its great!)

I haven't exercised much this week, going to try to swim tomorrow.  Tuesday I'm going to see an Orthopedic Dr. and probably have some xrays and an MRI done on my knee.  Its time to get serious about fixing this problem!  Hoping it can be resolved with a little PT so I can be up and running in no time
2011-01-20 5:56 PM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
I'm so jealous of your tips--- i've tried ALL of them. I set three alarms. One is in the other room. I still manage to reset the alarm and go back to bed. Drinking water...I wind up waking at 3am (too early). I've had this job for 3 years so unfortunately, I've not fallen into a system yet.

Any other tips? Surprised I missed this morning's swim AGAIN which means I haven't done any at all this week (I plan 3 swim practices per week ). sigh..

2011-01-20 6:09 PM

User image

Minneapolis
I am being a baby tonight.  I was palnning on working out, but I was up half the night with another headache, which disappeared when I finally got up, but now I am fried.  Sigh!  Tomorrow is another day, right?
2011-01-20 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3312186

User image

Long Beach, NY
shaptavajra - 2011-01-20 6:56 PM I'm so jealous of your tips--- i've tried ALL of them. I set three alarms. One is in the other room. I still manage to reset the alarm and go back to bed. Drinking water...I wind up waking at 3am (too early). I've had this job for 3 years so unfortunately, I've not fallen into a system yet.

Any other tips? Surprised I missed this morning's swim AGAIN which means I haven't done any at all this week (I plan 3 swim practices per week ). sigh..

I'm just like you.  I absolutely cannot get up in the mornings but decided to do it.  None of the tricks work so I just yell at myself until I get out of bed.  I really enjoy working out in the morning way more.  Less people and I sleep better at night. It seems for us it has to be a conscious decision to get out of bed until it's not.  I have to get back to it too.

Good luck!!!
2011-01-21 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3310018

User image

Denver
shaptavajra - 2011-01-19 7:09 PM

Sarah - Have you tried anything with light?  I am thinking about those sunrise alarms that slowly lighten the room or a DIY version with a lamp and a timer?  I find that it's easier for me to get up earlier when it's lighter out.  Equinox is still 8 weeks away, so maybe you can trick yourself a bit.  I agree with what Dawn said about the habit forming, too - it takes a little while to adjust to a new schedule when you're trying to implement it, so try not to be too hard on yourself even though it feels like the stakes are high when you're missing training that you want to be doing.
2011-01-21 3:58 PM

User image

New user
Texas
Sara - ultimately its up to you.  You are in control of whether you get back to bed or not.  Next week, no excuses, no resetting the alarm ALL WEEK long.  Just try it.  If you had to be at work early for a meeting you would be there.  If an old friend was coming to the airport and their flight arrived at 5 am - you would be there.  You have to make it important - you have to make YOU important.  Just do it.  I know it stinks, but there is no other alternative.  The workouts aren't  gonna happen any other time.  Do it
2011-01-21 4:19 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Ouch, the truth hurts!  LOL!!   I am realizing I have way way way too much going on in my life to put workouts in the middle or end of my day.  I am going to have to join you ladies and become an early riser. My amazing hubby gets up at 5:30 each and everyday, so at least I will have company.  It was TWENTY BELOW ZERO here this morning, UGH!!  So, of course, I chickened out and didn't go in the morning... now, I have fires on my desk and I should be heading out the door right now.   Thanks so much for this conversation.  NEXT WEEK I get up each morning and work out!
Jina

ok.. I am closing my computer and heading out. 

2011-01-21 9:44 PM

User image

New user
Texas
I wasn't trying to be mean or brutal. But I see it came out that way. I just know that for me I realize I put everyone elses needs above my own and that I have to say that to myself sometimes.  When it gets crazy at work I'm putting in crazy hours like 5 am to 1 am and sleeping 4 hours.  Forget exercise during those times... I have to tell myself that I need sleep.  The worst part is that I control my own schedule.  Yet I always put my client needs above my own.

Its hard ... I know. 
2011-01-22 3:15 PM

User image

Long Beach, NY
I just got back from my training session with the MMA fighter and it went really well!  We are going to meet weekly (or whenever I can with my nutty schedule) and he also expressed interest in doing a triathlon too.  He was hurt in a fight and isn't able to compete right now so this is something else he might want to do.  I told him about the website and gave him ideas of when races are and how much entry fees cost.  Maybe I can get him to be my training partner for this too?

Speaking of races, I was shooting for the Ironclad Tri on 5/29 but found out it has been canceled.  My first race probably won't be until 7/3 at the Independence tri here on Long Island.  I'm open to suggestions of course!
2011-01-22 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Ya'll are inspiring me to get my butt out of bed in the morning! It really is nice knowing that you've got your workout done and not have it hanging over your head the rest of the day.

If you can find a training partner or sign up for an early morning spin class or Masters swim class, that can help you get motivated. It's definitely worked for me.

I've been dealing with a medical issue the last few days and I haven't been on here much and I certainly haven't been able to train. Feel like I'm on the upswing, though. Managed to clean my kitchen cabinets and refrigerator top today.

Speaking of cleaning, did you know that house cleaning counts toward the challenge? Yes, that's right. If you haven't looked at the list in your training log, you'd be surprised by the number of things you're probably already doing that will count as hours in the challenge. Ballet, bowling, dodgeball and even Wii Fit are on the list...
2011-01-22 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3314657

User image

New user

Hey Marie,
Thanks for sharing honest truth directly.  I know that I can be my worst enemy at times and have to step back just acknowledge the truth.  The decision to take action is completely my responsibility!

On the other hand....I can seriously relate with the struggle to get up and work out.  Now days it's no longer a struggle because I now start work at 6am so I'm up at 4:15am every day and do my best to workout staight away after work.  Actually, the best thing for me is to head straight to the Y from work.  It's harder to go if I come home first.

Spend 45min on my bike in the basement today while watching the Kona Ironman on DVR.  So motivating!  One of the competitors described race day as one long internal dialogue convincing yourself to keep moving.  Glad to hear it's not just me.

Way to go ladies!!!! We're on our way.
Candi

PS I love winter but I must admit I'm SO READY to have the thermometer head to above freezing. It was -21 on my way to work yesterday. 
2011-01-22 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
-21 is just too cold to function!!! Sooo ready for spring.

2011-01-23 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3315481

User image

I found Roller Derby on the list ??!!!

Does jumping on bubble wrap count too? I had an energetic jump on some giant bubble wrap yesterday.

Lora - hope all continues to get better.

This cold weather is really bumming me out. I would really like to run outside. I feel the collective frustration with the weather. I'm over shoveling snow, even if it is a good workout. Groundhog Day is a little over a week away, fingers crossed for no more winter.

Edited by njsole 2011-01-23 6:52 AM
2011-01-23 8:33 PM

User image

Minneapolis
I am marking the end of today with a big red marker in my mind.  This week was rough.  The headache continued and became nerve pain in my jaw and teeth, ugh!  However, for some bizarre reason I signed up for a Valentine's 5k on Saturday the 12th.  We have a couple of friends doing it, and I just decided to dress up in a funny outfit and run/walk it and continue with my decision to not take myself so seriously and just do whatever I can.  I did manage to have two good days of workouts this week, and I got into a groove with chiro and massage.  

Marie, I didn't find what you said harsh, just honest.  I think self-awareness is half the battle when starting out.

Here's to a new week!

2011-01-24 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3314138

User image

Queens/Nassau County

Sarah - Have you tried anything with light?  I am thinking about those sunrise alarms that slowly lighten the room or a DIY version with a lamp and a timer?  I find that it's easier for me to get up earlier when it's lighter out.  Equinox is still 8 weeks away, so maybe you can trick yourself a bit.  I agree with what Dawn said about the habit forming, too - it takes a little while to adjust to a new schedule when you're trying to implement it, so try not to be too hard on yourself even though it feels like the stakes are high when you're missing training that you want to be doing.

I would love one of those light clocks, but i don't want to wake my husband. I am so discouraged because I missed another morning workout today. I'm just tired!! I DOn't go to bed at 9- that's the only thing I haven't tried. Because Sometimes I'm still working, and sometimes I'd like to have an hour or so sitting on the couch with my husband! But I've hit a low point recently. I haven't given up, but I am discouraged. Thanks for the pep talks and hopefully they'llkick in!
2011-01-24 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3317064

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jpenn815 - 2011-01-23 9:33 PM I am marking the end of today with a big red marker in my mind.  This week was rough.  The headache continued and became nerve pain in my jaw and teeth, ugh!  However, for some bizarre reason I signed up for a Valentine's 5k on Saturday the 12th.  We have a couple of friends doing it, and I just decided to dress up in a funny outfit and run/walk it and continue with my decision to not take myself so seriously and just do whatever I can.  I did manage to have two good days of workouts this week, and I got into a groove with chiro and massage.  

Marie, I didn't find what you said harsh, just honest.  I think self-awareness is half the battle when starting out.

Here's to a new week!

Jina, so sorry the past week sucked! Believe me, I'm with you. I think I trained twice before my medical condition sprung up. I love your attitude of starting out fresh as the new week has approached us. That 5K sounds like fun, especially given your reasoning.

Agreed! Here's to a new week!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11