BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-01-24 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3315995

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED
njsole - 2011-01-23 7:49 AM I found Roller Derby on the list ??!!!

Does jumping on bubble wrap count too? I had an energetic jump on some giant bubble wrap yesterday.

Lora - hope all continues to get better.

This cold weather is really bumming me out. I would really like to run outside. I feel the collective frustration with the weather. I'm over shoveling snow, even if it is a good workout. Groundhog Day is a little over a week away, fingers crossed for no more winter.

Bubble wrap jumping is not on the list, but you could maybe throw in jumping rope and have it count.

2011-01-24 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3317462

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
shaptavajra - 2011-01-24 7:57 AM

Sarah - Have you tried anything with light?  I am thinking about those sunrise alarms that slowly lighten the room or a DIY version with a lamp and a timer?  I find that it's easier for me to get up earlier when it's lighter out.  Equinox is still 8 weeks away, so maybe you can trick yourself a bit.  I agree with what Dawn said about the habit forming, too - it takes a little while to adjust to a new schedule when you're trying to implement it, so try not to be too hard on yourself even though it feels like the stakes are high when you're missing training that you want to be doing.

I would love one of those light clocks, but i don't want to wake my husband. I am so discouraged because I missed another morning workout today. I'm just tired!! I DOn't go to bed at 9- that's the only thing I haven't tried. Because Sometimes I'm still working, and sometimes I'd like to have an hour or so sitting on the couch with my husband! But I've hit a low point recently. I haven't given up, but I am discouraged. Thanks for the pep talks and hopefully they'llkick in!

Don't beat yourself up, Sarah, though I understand how easy that can be to do sometimes. I think once the weather warms up, you'll find a renewed sense of spirit. You just hang in there. We'll make it through this doggone cold weather blues season yet!
2011-01-24 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3257199

User image

Long Beach, NY
I just read my mouse pad at the office.  It's one of those inspirational messages but it may help:

Some people dream of success while others wake up and work hard at it.

That could help get you out of bed in the morning :D  I overslept today and didn't make it to the gym.  I couldn't sleep last night at all and am currently dragging through my Monday.  Here's to waking up early tomorrow!
2011-01-24 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3317462

User image

Minneapolis
shaptavajra - 2011-01-24 6:57 AM

Sarah - Have you tried anything with light?  I am thinking about those sunrise alarms that slowly lighten the room or a DIY version with a lamp and a timer?  I find that it's easier for me to get up earlier when it's lighter out.  Equinox is still 8 weeks away, so maybe you can trick yourself a bit.  I agree with what Dawn said about the habit forming, too - it takes a little while to adjust to a new schedule when you're trying to implement it, so try not to be too hard on yourself even though it feels like the stakes are high when you're missing training that you want to be doing.

I would love one of those light clocks, but i don't want to wake my husband. I am so discouraged because I missed another morning workout today. I'm just tired!! I DOn't go to bed at 9- that's the only thing I haven't tried. Because Sometimes I'm still working, and sometimes I'd like to have an hour or so sitting on the couch with my husband! But I've hit a low point recently. I haven't given up, but I am discouraged. Thanks for the pep talks and hopefully they'llkick in!

I totally get this frustration.  I am fighting up hill over here, too.  Keep trying!  How about putting your cell phone alarm on vibrate under your pillow?  I am so trained to jump when my cell-phone makes a noise it really does jolt me awake.  Of course, it is easy to turn back off again too.  Maybe you need an in-person workout buddy.  I used to get up at 5 and workout with a friend at 5:30.  This got me up and going.  Knowing that someone else was getting up early to meet me made me kick my own arse.  Sigh, there is that theme again, the things we will do for other people that we won't do for ourselves.  Well, I guess we just need to do whatever works.  Any chance your hubby would want to get up and workout with you?? 

Another thing I tried which has worked in the past is dressing in workout clothes first thing in the am, and not letting myself change out of them until I have done my workout.  UGH! That can be very embarrassing, explaining to a client why I am in my workout clothes.  Hang in there. 
2011-01-24 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3317592

User image

Minneapolis
I hope everything is ok for you Lora. 
2011-01-24 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3318830

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jpenn815 - 2011-01-24 3:59 PM I hope everything is ok for you Lora. 

Thanks, Jina. It seems to be getting better.

2011-01-25 1:10 AM
in reply to: #3314153

User image

San Francisco
I love this tough love for waking up in the morning. I have a major problem getting up in the morning and need a good kick in the (from someone other than my husband). 
2011-01-25 1:28 AM
in reply to: #3319640

User image

San Francisco
Also, I wanted to share that I have been silent for the past couple of weeks, but I am going to be active again...starting right now.

I have figured out my 2011 event schedule, after a lot of rearanging and debating, so wanted to share what I have come up with.

May 1- Century Ride in Chico 

June 5- See Jane Run Half-Marathon in Alameda 

August 14- Lake Tahoe Triathlon - International Distance

and maybe the Sept. 25- Santa Cruz Olympic Distance Triathlon

Now, that I have it all mapped out, I have to get my butt into training mode or at least reguarly active. I have been running some the past couple of weeks, the beautiful SF weather is making it much easier to get outside and active. My husband and I are also planning on doing a 3-day cleanse soon and am hoping for some extra energy to come out and motivate me.

Lastly, I recently did Bikram yoga and really enjoyed it. I was a bit intimidated by it at first, but then got into it and feel it could be a great compliment to training. Has anyone else gotten positive results from Bikram yoga? 
2011-01-25 5:32 AM

User image

Long Beach, NY
Got up at 6am!  Yay me!  I almost didn't get up and then started yelling at myself in my head.  Just finishing up breakfast and then off to the gym.
2011-01-25 8:17 AM

User image

Long Beach, NY
Managed 2 miles in 35 minutes.  I have to do way better than that.  Hopefully getting new shoes helps.  I do seem to get winded quickly but I've gotten WAY better.  Any tips on breathing techniques?
2011-01-25 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3319647

New user
Woolwich, Maine
I think yoga is wonderful.  It really helped me focus on my breathing, when I do long runs I try to use meditation to push me through when I get tired.  I do vinyasa yoga.  When I can't go to sessions I really miss it. 

2011-01-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3319971

User image

tlynn721 - 2011-01-25 9:17 AM Managed 2 miles in 35 minutes.  I have to do way better than that.  Hopefully getting new shoes helps.  I do seem to get winded quickly but I've gotten WAY better.  Any tips on breathing techniques?

Way to go on getting up and out on your run. You will get faster and stronger as you continue. AFA breathing, I find deep, belly breaths to help (aka yoga breaths.) You breathe into your abdomen rather then your chest. I’m a shallow breather and find myself out of breath sometimes when I shouldn’t be. I try to concentrate on breathing deeply and slowly. If I am running too fast to do this, then I slow down until I have my breathing under control again. I find slow, deep breathing also helps to bring my HR down.

I’ve been reading about everyone’s problem with getting up in the a.m. I have the opposite problem. I do not sleep well through the night and my eyes pop open and stay open in the early a.m. hours. I’ll admit it’s kind of helpful when you have to put in longer training hours (and I have to be home by 8 a.m. on wknds). However, there is a downside and that is fatigue and sleepiness that then affects the rest of your life. I was up and exercising at 3:45 a.m. today because I couldn’t sleep. I’m going to pay for it later when I cannot keep my eyes open at work and then at home when it’s family time. We won’t even talk about my lack of brain function due to limited sleep.

So, I kind of envy the people who can sleep and have a hard time getting up. I would love to get a solid 7-8 hrs sleep just once a week. I’m a totally different person when I get some good sleep.

2011-01-25 1:07 PM

User image

New user
Texas
Yay! For getting up in the morning and working out.  I had a yoga class this morning and spin class tonight.

I'm just wondering, will I ever get to workout and not be sore the next day.  My shoulders are sore from swimming.  My legs are sore from the "get ripped" class yesterday and my back just wants a transplant.  I'm just hurting everywhere I feel like. 

Please someone tell me this gets better
2011-01-25 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3319647

User image

Denver
I do Bikram.  I am so in love with my yoga class.  It's made a difference, slowly but surely, over the past 9 months both mentally and physically.  It's not for everyone and it takes some time to find the right combination of class/instructor, I think.  I will stop there before I become one of those annoying yoga people. 

I also have the The Athlete's Guide to Yoga book on my "to-buy" list.
2011-01-25 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3321033

User image

Long Beach, NY
rachlong - 2011-01-25 3:30 PM I do Bikram.  I am so in love with my yoga class.  It's made a difference, slowly but surely, over the past 9 months both mentally and physically.  It's not for everyone and it takes some time to find the right combination of class/instructor, I think.  I will stop there before I become one of those annoying yoga people. 

I also have the The Athlete's Guide to Yoga book on my "to-buy" list.

Does Bikram help with flexibility?  What are the benefits?  I'm thinking about trying it but would like more feedback.  Thanks!
2011-01-25 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3320806

User image

Long Beach, NY
mquevedo - 2011-01-25 2:07 PM Yay! For getting up in the morning and working out.  I had a yoga class this morning and spin class tonight.

I'm just wondering, will I ever get to workout and not be sore the next day.  My shoulders are sore from swimming.  My legs are sore from the "get ripped" class yesterday and my back just wants a transplant.  I'm just hurting everywhere I feel like. 

Please someone tell me this gets better

I find the opposite.  I'm rarely sore after working out and I feel like I don't push myself hard enough but I go until "fail" when lifting weights.  Sigh.

2011-01-25 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3320201

User image

Denver
plink - 2011-01-25 8:45 AM I think yoga is wonderful.  It really helped me focus on my breathing, when I do long runs I try to use meditation to push me through when I get tired.  I do vinyasa yoga.  When I can't go to sessions I really miss it. 

Thanks for bringing up the meditation to push through.  Holy cow, that spinning class today!  Headspace can be such an amazing thing.  At the beginning of the class we did sprints; I didn't catch that we were doing build-ups (30/45/60 seconds) and when the extra measly 15 seconds of the last one caught me by surprise, it took me nearly the rest of the class to get the grumpy voice out of my head.  Dang.  I was trying everything to get back to that focused place:  what an interesting spot on the wall; just breathe through it, fill up the back of my lungs; visualization of a memorable and pleasant ride years ago (what lovely foliage); contemplating joining facebook again; grumbly thoughts at the instructor....  I'm not sure how I got back in the right headspace, but it eventually happened about 3 minutes before class ended.  What does everyone else here do when your head just isn't in the right place? 
2011-01-25 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3321063

User image

San Francisco
Does Bikram help with flexibility?  What are the benefits?  I'm thinking about trying it but would like more feedback.  Thanks!

I have only done Bikram one time, but from that experience, I  would definitely say that it will increase flexibility. I will keep you posted as I go more often.
2011-01-26 9:56 AM

New user
Woolwich, Maine
I think yoga will definitely help no matter what kind you do. 

I went to see the Ortho Doctor yesterday about my knee.  He says I have patellar tendinitis, I'll be going to PT.  I can run but only a little (he said to do 1/3 of what i'm used to) and only on a indoor track or treadmill, and no hills (darn ).  I'm looking forward to getting back out there!  He also said to do more yoga, that it will help.  I need to strengthen my abs and hip muscles so I can maintain correct posture.  He said to run from you core and use small strides. 

I'm going to start my training back up tomorrow with my yoga class and swimming friday.  Here we go! 
2011-01-26 10:54 AM

User image

Minneapolis
LOL, my tall narrow hubby would give anything for this time on his swimmingSmile
2011-01-26 10:55 AM

User image

Minneapolis
LOL, my tall narrow hubby would give anything for this time on his swimmingSmile

2011-01-26 9:03 PM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Hi Ladies,
I'm pulling an all nighter to catch up on work. Does that count as exercise?Laughing
I figured I'd also touch base with you regarding my Team For Kids Fundraising. I haven't raised a dollar after my initial push; so I'm only 25 percent there. No pressure but if anyone was looking for a tax deduction, any amount at all would help. If I don't raise a big pile of money soon I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull out of the race. It's a darn good cause, too..... Yell

Learned my lesson there!

Here's the link.
http://www.runwithtfk.org/Member/PublicPage/3696

Thanks all!
2011-01-27 10:04 AM

User image

New user
Texas
GRRRR.  I'm so frustrated.  Went to the pool I prefer, and for the second time I was denied.  First time I went by their fall schedule online and their new winter schedule had not been posted.  Closed on Mondays.  Today, we get there (using their new schedule) and they don't have enough lifeguards. It's a 30 minute drive each way and its just so maddening.

I have spin tonight.  I feel better today not as sore, but I didn't run yesterday either. 

Hope you all have a happy Thursday!
2011-01-27 10:09 AM

User image

Long Beach, NY
I got up again at 6am today to go work out and, lo and behold, another foot of snow on the ground Yell  Spend a half hour digging out my car and never made it to the gym.  I'll have to do double time next week.  I found someone to train with a bit and we're supposed to be meeting up at the aquatic center on Monday.  That'll be my first swim.  He has done tri's before so it'll be good to meet up with him.

I do take back what I said about not being sore after the gym.  I worked out so hard I feel like I've been hit by a train!  It's all good.  As the saying goes, pain is weakness leaving the body.
2011-01-27 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3324472

User image

Queens/Nassau County
tlynn721 - 2011-01-27 10:09 AM  Yell  Spend a half hour digging out my car and never made it to the gym.  I'll have to do double time next week.  .

Snow shoeveling counts as training-- it's in the sports section!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11