BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-11-23 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3912429

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!

OMG, Tammy has tasted the KoolAid!!!!  You go girl, we will cheer you on from afar!!

I know Reade's friends have fund raisers in the works, so I will let you know as soon as I have any info.  I know they are making rubber "Livestrong"-type bracelets to sell... they're going to say "I love Reade" even though MY suggestion was "Give Reade a hand"  You gotta laugh about stuff, it's the only way to stay sane!  And luckily Reade's sense of humor is as off as mine, he would think that's funny too! 

Have a WONDERFUL holiday everyone... I am thankful for soooo much, and especially all of my MMMers!  Pig out on Turkey Day, but try and get a workout in over the weekend too!  I have a 5k Turkey Trot tomorrow, over 300 people signed up for it, not including those that will just show up.  For our little town, that is HUGE!

sd

2011-11-23 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3912921

User image

Extreme Veteran
"Give Reade a hand." LOVE it! You are warped, girl! One of the many things we love about you!
2011-11-24 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3913195

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

qwe

HAPPY THANKSGIVING MMM PEEPS!!

I am thankful for each of you!  Have a great day, enjoy the eating and then get back to work!  Ha ha, I promise to practice what I preach and hope to be back on track in my training starting today with my Turkey Trot!

2011-11-24 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3912429

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
tstl - 2011-11-22 7:27 PM
bunsy - 2011-11-22 7:38 AM

hildekq - 2011-11-22 8:35 AM Thank you all... I am back at school and just talked with my principal and we shed some tears together.  Her son is about Reade's age and ironically he was at the party that it happened at.  Small world.  I feel so bad because she just lost her husband to brain cancer a few months back, this seems a bit small in comparison.  Kylie texted me and said they had a steady stream of visitors till around 10:30 last night, the dr. has been in and it's still looking like he'll get out today.  He has to work out how to pay the $5000 insurance deductible.  His friends are planning some fund raisers, so hopefully that will help.  I'm still not handling this very well, but hopefully things will settle down this week. 

Hilde - I would love to donate to the fund raiser.  please let us know the details.  It would feel good to do something tangible to help you and your family out.

X 2. Let us know if they set up an account, or maybe give us an address. Oh, and forget what I've been saying about doing an Ironman in 2013... When I heard today that IMAZ 2012 had a few slots available, I said screw it, life's too short to put things off - I'm doin' it next year!! I cleared it with my hubby first, of course. The first thing he said was that he would support me all the way; the second was, "just don't get the tattoo!" Dangit!So it's official; I'm registered for IMAZ 2012, next November. I'm really excited, and ready to go full steam ahead with this bidness!

Tammy - how can you go that distance and NOT get the tatoo!  I want a 70.3 on my shoulder IF I do the HIM.

2011-11-24 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3259026

User image

Extreme Veteran

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody! Here's hoping you have everything you need...

2011-11-24 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

Hey guys!!!!  Happy Turkey Day!!!  I've enjoyed the day with family....a long day of cooking, eating, eating and more eating...OMG...when I got done with dinner I was miserable.....it was all the snacking beforehand then dinner on top of that - I don't eat that much normally and paid for it big time.....I hope to feel better tomorrow...I'm not gonna eat all day...haha...I even bagged and froze all the ham and turkey except a little bit for tomorrow's lunch....My workouts this week have been pathetic...I stayed up late every night with the wife watching Dexter and Entourage....while that is fun I was really was tired the next day so getting up in the morning was a pipe dream.  I gotta get back on track gang!!!  I'm gonna load my winter plan in here for next week....then it's time to get back to work with mornings and keeping to a schedule.  I've gone without a plan or goal long enough and it's not working that way.  So I'm going to do the Winter program then in Mid February I start the 20 weeks of HIM targeting the Muncie HIM July 7th, 2012!!!!  What the fu@#$%@#%CK might as well have that goal and see how it goes.  So I hope to get back on track very very soon.....Please treat me like $hit if you don't see some serious effort next week!!

Turtle - I just knew it would be a short time till you announced you doing an IM!!!!!  After the marathon you were primed for such a decision and with your work ethic you will do very very well in preparation for IMAZ!!!  I'm stoked - very excited for you!!!!!  Another IM added to the group - very inspiring my friend...I will be here to cheer you on the whole way.....I can't wait to see you finish!!!

Hilde, glad Reade has a good attitude and is home now.  I'm sure with everyone's support he will be okay but will go through grieving stages in which he will need all of you.  You've been a great mother and friend to him - way to be an example of staying strong when times get tough.  

Okay gang....off to look at some plans and figure out how to load them and when to push the start button...I'm actually looking forward to getting in the pool - I need to be able to swim 1.2 miles with confidence by July.  I am also gonna start counting calories to prevent starvation mode and lose fat - not muscle.  Gunna start at 1800 and see how it goes.....

2011-11-24 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3914368

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

Okay, clarity now......

The wifey has endorsed my goal - but is real worried about me doing a HIM....that's reasonable - since I haven't done an Oly yet.....But she asked me to do a later one in Benton Harbor Michigan - so I will do that one instead.  Another plus is that it's not as hilly as Muncie, but on the minus is in Lake Michigan (waves) versus a lake in Muncie.....so pluses and minuses....Whatever.

So, here is the schedule

Nov 27th - April 1 -- 20 Week Prep (actually 18 cuz I don't have the full 20)

April 1 - August 19th 20 Week HIM Plan

Race on August 19th!!!!!!!!!!

That's the plan - let's see how it goes????????  Lots of smart training, luck, prayers and losing weight smart!!!!  Lots of ifs there for sure.  So, there's my plan!

2011-11-25 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3914416

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

OMG, my group has gone nuts!!!  I am proud of all of you wanting to move up in distance, and am positive you all have what it takes to accomplish your goals.  I guess I should blame Joe, our resident IM, ha ha!! 

Finally got the official "5K" results from yesterday's Turkey Trot, 2nd AG out of 16 and 134 out of 393 overall... yep, this old lady has gotten some speed!  I've gone from being way BOP to either the front of MOP or back of FOP, I'll take it!!  New goal is to break a 9:00 average in a 5K, whew, that will take some work, but if I can keep up my run volume and the speedwork, I think it's in reach.  The lady that took 3rd place was 1 second behind me, so good for me for keeping the push going!

Reade and Kylie came up for dinner last night, they had their traditional Thanksgiving dinner at Kylie's grandma's house, so Ron made an untraditional meal, Cornish Game hens... he made Reade's boneless so he could cut it with his fork.  He seems to be doing as well as we could expect, a little quiet, but not mute.  He says he's been driving with no problem since he was a left handed driver already.  Ron has ordered him a bunch of stuff online, like a fork that somehow has a knife built into it, not sure exactly what that looks like?  A cutting board that has a raised edge so if you were spreading peanut butter on a piece of bread it would prevent it from sliding off.  A special jar opener, that kind of thing.  We are researching prosthetics and believe me there is some high tech stuff out there!  Check out this link, pretty amazing!

There's also a prosthetic "store" right here in town and Kati and I stopped by to check it out, but the guy that does them had just headed out of town for the holiday.  He'll be back next week and then we'll go back.  It's probably a good thing that we are right next to Ft. Hood, there is a steady supply of amputees around heres.  Reade's already talking about a tattoo for the stump, which I am all for if that's what helps him get through this.  The pain meds seem to be managing his pain, not too much phantom stuff going on although he says it still feels like his hand is balled in a fist.  His biggest complaints are that he's somehow lost his sense of smell and taste?  Not sure what's up with that, hope it's a medication thing, and his uvula, that thing that hangs down in the back of your throat is all enlarged and actually flops and sits on top of his tongue, I imagine it was aggravated by the breathing tube during surgery.  I think he and Ron are going to try to go for a hike this afternoon, just to get him out in some fresh air, and I'm going to kidnap Kylie and go to a movie, they've been together almost 24/7 since Sat., time for a break from each other! 

So I'm doing better with all of this, as is Ron, but I am still grieving over his hand and little things will make me tear up... was watching TV last night and there was a scene where a Dad was holding his child's hand, and it hit me that Reade will never feel that with his right hand, just so sad.  Ron is going to see a personal injury lawyer and see if we can get any compensation from somewhere... we have the tube from the firework and some more of the rockets, so it's worth a try.

Kind of a misty foggy morning here, mid 50's, perfect for a nice easy run, so gonna suck down another cup of coffee and get out there.  And believe it or not, I MAY even try and get in some bike time this weekend!!  2 weeks till the half marathon!!!
2011-11-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3914586

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hilde, congrats on the 5k! You are such an inspiration, the way you focused on your weakeest sport and brought up to par with the others. You are going to be unstoppable next tri season!!
2011-11-25 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
wsilverthorne - 2011-11-24 8:24 PM

Okay, clarity now......

The wifey has endorsed my goal - but is real worried about me doing a HIM....that's reasonable - since I haven't done an Oly yet.....But she asked me to do a later one in Benton Harbor Michigan - so I will do that one instead.  Another plus is that it's not as hilly as Muncie, but on the minus is in Lake Michigan (waves) versus a lake in Muncie.....so pluses and minuses....Whatever.

So, here is the schedule

That's the plan - let's see how it goes????????  Lots of smart training, luck, prayers and losing weight smart!!!!  Lots of ifs there for sure.  So, there's my plan!

Wilson, i love your plan! Your wife is right, you should do an Olympic as a stepping stone; it will help you work out a nutrition plan, and it's a more manageable goal to get you started. And I think the Steelhead half looks like a GREAT race- "downstream" swim, beautiful course, IM-branded event, etc. And then you can get this:

Wouldn't that look killer on those sexy girlish calves of yours??

Oh, and I'll be happy to treat you like $hit whether you're following your plan or not!!

2011-11-25 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3914621

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2011-11-25 9:45 AM
wsilverthorne - 2011-11-24 8:24 PM

Okay, clarity now......

So, here is the schedule

Wilson, i love your plan! Your wife is right, you should do an Olympic as a stepping stone; it will help you work out a nutrition plan, and it's a more manageable goal to get you started. And I think the Steelhead half looks like a GREAT race- "downstream" swim, beautiful course, IM-branded event, etc. And then you can get this:

Wouldn't that look killer on those sexy girlish calves of yours??

Oh, and I'll be happy to treat you like $hit whether you're following your plan or not!!

Glad you will treat me like $hit regardless of my plan..haha....rightfully so.  Hey, I don't think you can get an ironman tattoo unless you complete a full IM....HIM doesn't count in my mind.  My girlish calves look a hell of a lot better than that picture!!!  I'll take a picture of mine and post the tattoo...It'd be much sexier that's for sure.  I assume you will get the tattoo.......on your calf or elsewhere ....I can think of a few spots..haha

2011-11-25 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3914639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Turtle...what about an Oly before the HIM....an Oly in July - would that work????
2011-11-25 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey, guys, my running playlist needs some freshening up. I'd love to hear your current favorite running songs. I'll kick it off with one that a (nonrunning) friend put on my FB wall the night before my marathon. It was a Queen song that somehow I had never heard. I downloaded it to my marathon playlist and it came up 3 times during the race. No other song repeated, so I consider this the theme song of my first marathon:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HgzGwKwLmgM" frameborder="0" width="420" height="315">

2011-11-25 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3914643

User image

Extreme Veteran

Dangit, that showed up on Preview. Try:

http://youtu.be/HgzGwKwLmgM

2011-11-25 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3914640

User image

Extreme Veteran

wsilverthorne - 2011-11-25 8:01 AM Turtle...what about an Oly before the HIM....an Oly in July - would that work????

July seems a little late, but better than nothing. I was thinking more around late Spring, to allow a full training cycle between that and the Half. I know you can do it, if you stick to a plan and manage to not get sick or hurt! Something like:

Dec.-Jan. prep

Feb.-April: Oly cycle, race around late April/Early May

May- early Aug: HIM cycle

That seems doable to me. The question is, How bad do you want it??

2011-11-25 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3914651

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2011-11-25 10:09 AM

wsilverthorne - 2011-11-25 8:01 AM Turtle...what about an Oly before the HIM....an Oly in July - would that work????

July seems a little late, but better than nothing. I was thinking more around late Spring, to allow a full training cycle between that and the Half. I know you can do it, if you stick to a plan and manage to not get sick or hurt! Something like:

Dec.-Jan. prep

Feb.-April: Oly cycle, race around late April/Early May

May- early Aug: HIM cycle

That seems doable to me. The question is, How bad do you want it??

I think I have the mental toughness to do it.  I'll know how it's all gonna work out at the then of my 18 week prep...I need to lose 30-40 lbs to even make the goal doable.....Cant run that far carrying all that weight.

2011-11-25 11:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
OK guys, You know I run hot and cold on the triathon stuff.  So tonight I'm reading Triathon Mag (Kona issue) and I say to myself I could do a 1/2 IM.  Maybe I should look up steelhead.  Then I log onto BT and see that Wilson is targeting the same thing.  So I'm wondering.... should I?  What about Alex??
2011-11-25 11:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

Oh yeah, and If I do a 1/2 IM a tatoo is a must!

2011-11-26 1:03 AM
in reply to: #3915254

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
jcarmody - 2011-11-26 12:30 AM

Oh yeah, and If I do a 1/2 IM a tatoo is a must!

Damn, this tattoo thing is spiraling!!! haha...  Okay Janet....me, you and Alex do Steelhead 70.3.....and we can all go get tattoos together the next day.....  I only have one other tattoo - A tramp stamp that says "Exit only, DO NOT ENTER" haha...just kidding.  I think I'm the least prepared of the 3 for distance....so if I can do it...anyone can.  I think turtle doubts whether I can pull it off or not?????  So join in!!  Hey, I think Peggy is gonna do it too...not steelhead, but another 70.3...I just loaded my prep plan for 18 weeks....then launch the 20 week HIM plan with Steelhead being the target race.  I gotta find an Oly probably sometime in June....maybe mid May...but water temps will be an issue before then...so it'll have to wait that long.  Doing Steelhead would be also an emotional one for me...My dad and I used to sail into St. Joe -- I was there with him 2 weeks before he passed....I think that would be a great first HIM for me!!!!  $hit, time for bed...it's 2AM!!!  eeeeek

2011-11-26 1:09 AM
in reply to: #3914643

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2011-11-25 10:04 AM

Hey, guys, my running playlist needs some freshening up. I'd love to hear your current favorite running songs. I'll kick it off with one that a (nonrunning) friend put on my FB wall the night before my marathon. It was a Queen song that somehow I had never heard. I downloaded it to my marathon playlist and it came up 3 times during the race. No other song repeated, so I consider this the theme song of my first marathon:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HgzGwKwLmgM" frameborder="0" width="420" height="315">

How in the hell have you missed that song?????  You'd make fun of all the $hit in my shuffle..haha...everything imaginable in there....From some tolerable country to rap to angry rock to hip hop to top 40....lots of variety to keep me happy.  okay, off to bed now!

2011-11-26 11:10 AM

User image

Regular
Is this group great or what? Hilde, everyone in "YOUR" group has gone nuts...well maybe a little more nuts than they already were. Look at all the goals being committed to. Now I get to read about everyone else...what a joy!

2011-11-26 12:26 PM

User image

Hendricks County
wsilverthorne - 2011-11-24 10:24 PM

Okay, clarity now......

So, here is the schedule

Talk about a stretch goal, if anyone is crazy enough to do it though it's you! Count me in on the road trip! I'll be your towel b@tch, ha!
2011-11-26 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3915546

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
No kidding, Joe!!  Now Janet is joining the bandwagon and Tammy Tucker just posted on FB yesterday that she's gonna do a HIM next October... yikes!!  I need to find a new mentor group with a bunch of newbies that just need to know how to set up transition, you guys are going to leave me behind!
2011-11-26 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3915662

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

hildekq - 2011-11-26 4:52 PM No kidding, Joe!!  Now Janet is joining the bandwagon and Tammy Tucker just posted on FB yesterday that she's gonna do a HIM next October... yikes!!  I need to find a new mentor group with a bunch of newbies that just need to know how to set up transition, you guys are going to leave me behind!

I don't think we would or could ever leave you behind.....But, our bench is pretty strong....getting lots of depth here!!  As a mentor that ought to thrill you - wait till we get some newbies....they will get lots of good help....well, I'd still like to provide crude entertainment too..haha

2011-11-27 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3915669

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
It wouldn't be the same without your particular brand of entertainment, Wilson!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70