BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-07 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3283108

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - OPEN
ransick - 2011-01-06 5:51 PM Welcome Marla!  Of course we have room for you.  You answered a bunch of my questions last year, so you can help us out answering questions too :-).

Thanks, Mike Smile

I actually tried replying last night, but I was apparently a babbling fool from sucking down prescription pain meds on an empty stomach, and I was told to stop staring at the screen & giggling to myself and to go to bed instead , which I did.

...nothing as dramatic as falling down stairs (sorry to read that, Ryan!), but just a bad sprained ankle from stepping out of my car.

so, here goes...

NAME: Marla

STORY:
Got a wild idea to try this triathlon thing a little over a year ago... had a 75 pound weight loss goal, started February 2009, was mostly there last fall, and thought it'd be a nifty goal to celebrate my journey back to good health, not to mention a welcome opportunity to do something completely out of character to keep my friends & family on their toes. I'm a 48-year-old working mom, not athletic, known klutz (that part should be no surprise to you at this point), though I was a swimmer as a kid. Was on the HS track team, too, bc I could run fast, but I hated running.

By the time I made up my mind to sign up for Iron Girl, it was full, but there were opportunities to register via local charity teams. One was Team Fight with the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults - founded by Doug Ulman (now Lance Armstrong's CEO), UCF provides patient navigation & support services for young adults diagnosed with cancer. It's a cause near/dear to me, having spent nearly 20 years volunteering at a camp for kids with cancer, and my mom's been receiving treatment for metastatic breast cancer & multiple myeloma for the last couple of years. It was one of the best decisions of my adult life - it's a FABULOUS group, wonderful, wonderful, nice folks of all ages, and I love racing for something, focusing on something, that's bigger than me. Fund-raising goals are very reasonable, and the training & camaraderie's truly priceless.

So, last year I had knee surgery nov/dec 2009, got back in the pool for the first time in 20 years in Jan, started a 5K training group in March, and rode a bike with gears for the first time ever in March. Did my first 5K & open-water swim Memorial Day weekend, and my 1st sprint - .6 mile swim, 17.4 mile bike, 3.4 mile run - in late June, with bursitis in my hip. Did another couple of 5K's, another sprint, over the summer, my 1st 10K this past November, and did the swim leg of a half-IM this past fall, but experienced swimming induced pulmonary edema (SIPE) in the swim. THAT's a great story too Smile but the bottom line was that I managed to finish, have great respect for the emergency medical staffs at our local races, and am hoping to participate in an ongoing research study on SIPE to see if I can safely swim in cold water races again.

FAMILY STATUS:
  pre-teen daughter  - will be 12 in a couple of weeks, did her 1st kids tri last July. I re-married year & half ago, and my husband's been incredibly supportive of my new obsession (his newest t-shirt: "real men marry athletes"), and he's really into photography, so he has his own kind of fun at my races. 21-year-old stepsons are off on their own/in college. 2 dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  good question. I started a new job mid-Nov, and have been struggling with figuring out how to keep working out, along with commuting, kid, private practice (I'm a child psychologist), and sleep - swimming & sleep seem to be particularly incompatible. And, now, with the stupid gimpy ankle, it's all a mess! My plan for the new year WAS: 10K group runs Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat. Swim Thurs & either Sun or Mon or Fri nights. Spin & abs classes on Sunday, strength training with trainer Sat afternoons, and spin or spinervals on Wed. For the next 4-6 weeks, though....dunno!

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  10-miler for kicks in April bc it sounded cool & I got in. 10K in late April/early May. 1st oly (Columbia Triathlon) in later May, with 1-mile OWS Memorial Day. Celebration Sprint 6/26, Peachtree Road Race 10K in Atlanta 7/4, Iron Girl (sprint) & 24 Hours of Booty in August, and the Olympic distance of Half-Full Triathlon in October. Maybe throw in some 5K's too - I like those.

2010 RACES:  Oops, see above. Also add 24 Hours of Booty (gotta love the name) - not a race, but a 24 hour bike ride supporting the Lance Armstrong Foundation & local cancer charities

WEIGHTLOSS: Like I said, lost 65, gained some back. I'd weighed 215, was down to 150, now back up to 160, aiming for 145. Registered as Athena for all my upcoming races though Smile. They seem to start later & thus have more time for the portapotties....

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: how about my razor-sharp wit & sparkling personality?! Certainly not my blind obedience to authority figures. I really enjoyed the support of the online group last spring...loved - and still do - appreciate the check-ins, and warm fuzzies from just being encouraged, but also enjoy sharing what I know, and spreading the good will, as much as I can. Since I'm in a traditional office nearly every day now, I'll have much less time for online reading/posting, especially during working hours (or at least until the BT Iphone app is released!), but still would really like to participate.

Sorry to be so babbly. Maybe those meds haven't worn off as much as I'd thought.......!

Marla

2011-01-07 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3260767

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Tanya, did I read it wrong, or did you say your family's not on board? Really sorry to hear that - it's been such a great source of support for me, but I also have a pretty significant fear of riding in traffic, so I tend to do group rides, only, with local tri clubs, or my training team - perhaps hooking up with groups like that might allay some of your family's concerns?

Robert, major kudos on the weight loss - seeing where you've come from is so impressive.

OtherMike (hmm, how to keep y'all straight??) - impressive that you've managed to get your diabetes under control. I'm about the fittest I've been in forever, and yet my blood sugar's just teetering outside of normal - doc's convinced I'd be diabetic if I weren't doing what I'm doing. Wanted to add, too, that my daughter was also a big inspiration for me going through my weight loss, and it's sparked some terrific conversations between us about weight, eating habits, & body image - they're at the perfect age to have those kinds of conversations, so the timing was particularly serendipitous.

In the meantime, will try to open up my (now very boring) log...but swear I'll be back in the gym as soon as I can drive there!
2011-01-07 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3280628

User image

I would like to join if there is still room

NAME:Gene

STORY:
Just turned 46, and still over 300 lbs. Started training last year and did one pool sprint tri and one 5k run(jog/walk). Looking to do 4 tris this year, the last one an Oly and maybe a 1/2 Marathon. Trying hard to loss weight and get out in the snow to train.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married 20 yrs no kids, one fat and sassy cat.

CURRENT TRAINING:
Masters class 3 times a week, run when I can and bike (inside exercise bike) 2 - 3 times a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: June: Salem Sprint Tri (pool swim and 9-10 mile bike)
July:3Sport Sprint in Glenn Allen (same as last year)
August: Luray Sprint (open water 750 m swim and 17 mile bike)
October:Big Acorn Olympic
Nov: If possilbe, Star City Half Marathon

2010 RACES:  July: 3Sport Tri in Glenn Allen

WEIGHTLOSS: Starting eating better and less after 3 horrible months of not. Goal is to lose 40 pounds by July and 60 by Oct.
2011-01-07 4:45 PM

Veteran
Gene, how have ya been, since our first group i've been keeping an eye out.  Good to see ya!
2011-01-07 6:05 PM

User image

New user

Port Moody

Hi all,

I am a total newbie at Tri's and have much to learn!  If you will have me I would love to join this group!

NAME: Adam Kouwenberg

STORY:
I have never been what one would call an athlete.  In fact on of my claims to fame could be that when I was about 10 I was on a softball team, and in the entire season, I hit the ball once!  I have always enjoyed cycling and swimming, but I have never done any distance racing.  I loathe running, but am slowly warming up to the idea.  A few weeks ago, I told my wife about my crazy idea of doing a Tri, she laughed at me, now she has a crazy idea of doing one herself!

FAMILY STATUS: Mairred for 5 years, 2 daughters 2.5 & 1 (and a dog)

CURRENT TRAINING:
I am currently going to spin classes 2-3 times a week, and the occaisonal run with my wife.  I coach Special Olympic Swimming once a week, but I need to actually start getting off the pool deck and into the water!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None!

2011 RACES:  I have not registered for any yet, but looking at doing 1-2 Olympic distance races mid June (Iron Mountain Tri, Maple Ridge, BC) and begining of August (Subaru Sooke Tri, Sooke BC).

WEIGHTLOSS: I was up to my heaviest around April-May last year (250lbs) currently hovering at an obnoxious 204 (why I could not be hovering 5 pounds lower!)  I would like to drop annother 20-30 pounds, but loosing my moobs will be sufficient for me!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm Canadian, so I will be polite? Sorry, is that a valid enough answer?!Wink

Edited by akouwenberg 2011-01-07 6:08 PM
2011-01-07 8:42 PM

User image

Subject: Trouble Navigating BT
I want to import a training plan into my training log. Is that possible? Is there a shortcut to get to this group form?  It's a start but I swam 250m tonight and I feel great.

2011-01-07 8:46 PM

User image

Hey guys, Can I join your mentor group??  Smile  Jennifer
2011-01-07 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3285862

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Trouble Navigating BT
_T2_ - 2011-01-07 8:42 PM I want to import a training plan into my training log. Is that possible? Is there a shortcut to get to this group form?  It's a start but I swam 250m tonight and I feel great.

I think you need to be a Bronze member or better to import a training plan.  For now, I would just print one out and follow along.

That is great that a 250m swim felt great.  My first swim was 25 or 50 yards and I was hurting!

ETA, to get a short cut to the group edit your training log home page and create a link.  Check mine out and if you still have questions, let me know.

Edited by ransick 2011-01-07 9:30 PM
2011-01-07 9:28 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Adam!  If you are coaching swimming, you can help us as much as we help you :-). 
2011-01-07 9:29 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Jennifer!
2011-01-07 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3284980

Marla,
No worries about my family support, they don't get in my schedules way my hubby just fears for my safety when running/cycling on the road with drivers who don't understand the damage they can do to a runner/cyclist.  That is the only hang up my hubby has, my children have learned to wait until mommy is done before asking any questions and mommy has learned to put a movie in before doing any exercise in the house Laughing.
Tanya 

2011-01-07 10:07 PM

Wow this is quite the group!!
I feel a little intimidated with everyones goals.  I was just hoping to get through training for a sprint and do the sprint but a lot of you have higher goals and are inspiring me to look at doing more then one tri this year.  
Ryan,
I added everyone to my friends list and have been logging my workouts.  I took a closer look at my training schedule and have noticed I was slacking a little but no worries I will pick it up a notch next week. After reading some stories about OWS I think I will take my swim workouts very seriously.  
I need to take my eating more seriously as well so I am not carrying around that extra spare tire with meEmbarassed
2011-01-07 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3285977

User image

Master
St. Louis
paygilr - 2011-01-07 10:07 PM Wow this is quite the group!!
I feel a little intimidated with everyones goals.  I was just hoping to get through training for a sprint and do the sprint but a lot of you have higher goals and are inspiring me to look at doing more then one tri this year.  
Ryan,
I added everyone to my friends list and have been logging my workouts.  I took a closer look at my training schedule and have noticed I was slacking a little but no worries I will pick it up a notch next week. After reading some stories about OWS I think I will take my swim workouts very seriously.  
I need to take my eating more seriously as well so I am not carrying around that extra spare tire with meEmbarassed

Don't worry about anyone else's goals but yours.  There will always be faster people than you and slower people than you.

BTW, ransick = mike

2011-01-07 10:22 PM
in reply to: #3285977

User image

Central Oregon
paygilr - 2011-01-07 8:07 PM Wow this is quite the group!!
Ryan,

I added everyone too.

I was just wondering if I should post nutrition too... then I would have to be accountable. That idea makes me squirm.

Thomas: I clicked the "Toggle email notification" button at the bottom of this thread so I get updates via email when a new post is added.

What is everyone planning for tomorrow workout wise?
2011-01-07 11:08 PM

Veteran
Tanya,

Like Mike had said, don't worry about anyone else's goals.  Having the goal to finish a sprint tri is alot tougher of a goal than most people we know.  From your workouts already your doing a great job so far!!!

This time last year, Mike and I both had the same goal as you, finish our first sprint tri.  We both got a little crazy after that haha.  One thing I also learned last year, no matter if you've done 0 or 45 tri's no one really cares.  I was extremely nervous being around in shape people(in spandex on top of that) but 99% of people have been great and super helpful.

I'm a big fan on the inspire button, so hopefully everyone likes messages every day

2011-01-07 11:11 PM

Veteran

Jennifer, welcome!

Looks like there is 4 of us on the way to NOLA!  Hope to meet up with everyone!  P.s. Im nervous

2011-01-07 11:22 PM

Veteran
Quick update on who is on this great team!

T2             -   Thomas
paygilr        -   Tanya
Brightbow  -  Victoria
MarlaS       -  Marla
Cliffk110    -   Cliff
rebersole2  -  robert
conway9       -  Mike
Metii            -   Gene
akouwenburg  -  adam
soccersandi00  -  Jennifer

If i missed someone sorry, its getting late.

2011-01-07 11:24 PM

Veteran
Sat training

Hopefully my ankle will be ready to do some running & a tad bit of biking.  I'm supposed to swim but the only swimming will be fixing the dumb pipe that broke under my new sink
2011-01-08 9:04 AM

Hi Ryan and Mike,
I would love to join your mentor group to get advice from you.
I am a mother of 3.
My neighbor has run a couple of Triathlons and I thought it was so great.
My daughter, who is a pretty good runner wants to do one.  She is 16.
So, I told her I'd train with her and possibly do one this summer.
I am trying to find a training schedule that we can both do.
Any suggestions?
Thanks! 
2011-01-08 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3285988

User image

Thanks
2011-01-08 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3286328

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Caramy. 

As far as a schedule goes, you can check out the free plans here on BT.  Just click on programs up where all the buttons are and view free.  What is your exercise background?  If your swimming was like mine was when I started, the beginner plans were challenging.

BTW, what is your first name?

2011-01-08 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3286030

User image

I don't know if it matters but if someone tries to look me up I have an underscore before and after _T2_
2011-01-08 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3285988

User image

Master
St. Louis
Brightbow - 2011-01-07 10:22 PM
paygilr - 2011-01-07 8:07 PM Wow this is quite the group!!
Ryan,

I added everyone too.

I was just wondering if I should post nutrition too... then I would have to be accountable. That idea makes me squirm.

Thomas: I clicked the "Toggle email notification" button at the bottom of this thread so I get updates via email when a new post is added.

What is everyone planning for tomorrow workout wise?

Victoria, you can add nutrition if you want.  I won't, but I should.  I'm pretty loose with mine, but trying to improve a few things, like post workout food intake and getting more protein.

As far as a workout today, I try to do a long run on one day and a long ride on another on the weekend.    Long is relative, so if you are new to this, don't worry about what is long for you versus another person.  If you are consistent with training, your long workout will keep getting longer.
2011-01-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3286429

User image

Master
St. Louis
_T2_ - 2011-01-08 10:16 AM I don't know if it matters but if someone tries to look me up I have an underscore before and after _T2_

If you want us to be able to see your logs, add each of us as a friend and allow friends to see your workouts.  Let me know if you need help with that.
2011-01-08 12:03 PM

Hey!  I would love to join this group.  Ill give some info about me first...

Story: I have always been very active since I was able to walk.  I played 4 varsity sports in high school and went on to play college basketball for 4 years.  I graduated college in 2005 and needless to say, I am not in as good of shape.  I have run may 5K's and 10K's and 1 half marathon.  I like to push myself and I am very goal oriented. I have several friends who have done sprint triathlons and 1 friend who has done an Ironman.  I have decided I would like to jump on board. I plan to do the sprint triathlon on May 14th in Clemson, SC.
Family Status: Just got married this past June and both are 28 years old.
Current Training: I am about to start doing one of the training guides off of beginner triathlete.  Its the 3X balance for sprint triathlons. I have been running 3-4 days a week and play basketball2x a week.
WEight Loss: I could lose about 20 pounds to be where I feel the best.  Hopefully, training for a triathlon will get me there.
What would make me a good mentoree: I am very open and curious about new ideas, training etc.  I love to see progress and to work hard towards a goal. I am a very determined individual and wont stop until the goal is achieved.

I look forward to asking questions and seeing everyone else's questions. Thanks and good luck to all!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23