BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-08 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3260767

Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - OPEN

Hi Ryan & Mike,

I would like to join your group.....this is all new to me and I could really use some help.

NAME:
Allen Morrison

STORY:
I am 43 years old living in Orange County, California.  I have never participated in anything like this but have committed myself to the process and know that I will need help and support to stay focused and motivated.  The last time I ran the mile was in high school!!  Over the last 20 years I have fairly maintained my weight by inconsistently working out with weights, doing the treadmill or stair climber and playing basketball once a week.

I am 6'2" and NOW weigh 195 lbs.  In November I went on a diet and have lost 30 lbs.....I was at my heaviest ever at 227 lbs...my family and friends said "you dont need to lose weight...you carry the weight really well"....but I knew when looking at myself I was not comfortable and needed to make some changes in my life.  Towards the end of December one of my employees (a young 31 year old!!) said you look great so what are you going to do to maintain it?...he was right and I had been looking for something to challenge myself....he explained that he was going to do a Sprint Triathlon on May 1st and when I looked into it...it became clear this was an awesome challenge for me to carry myself into 2011.

FAMILY STATUS:
I married my high school sweetheart and we are going to celebrate 23 years in June......we have two kids.  My son is 14 and my daughter is 12.

CURRENT TRAINING:
The past few weeks have been 3 days a week at the gym lifting and using various machines.....I have decided to start using the 16 week Sprint - Swim focused program I found on the BT site...I start this on Monday and it should be completed the week before my race.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have already registered and paid for the Sprint Race at Mission Beach in San Diego on May 1st.  No turning back now!

2010 RACES:  None

WEIGHTLOSS: 30 lbs since November

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am comitted to this and will require some hand holding, support and guidence throughout this journey.  I cannot do it alone!  I have so many questions and need someone to go to.  I need someone to help me kill that little voice inside my head that keeps telling me to stop...your a fool!

2011-01-08 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3281424

My name is Jack Hewitt. I live in central Wisconsin, befriended and encouraged by a Masters Ironman ranked 11th in the world. I'm 56y/o, inveterate athlete/weightlifter and wedded to my local YMCA, ride my Klein 35-100 miles almost daily in the Summer and Fall months and learning to love swimming laps again. I am a reluctant adult who is married with a 16y/o daughter. I would rather act than speak, which makes me asocial sometimes and chronically underemployed. My current training will be a BT 16 week Olympic-run focused, beginning this Monday. This year's races will include at least one Olympic tri and several Sprint tri's. I am about 6 feet tall and weigh 175 lbs.; weight is a non-issue. Being held accountable for results will make me a good mentee because I desire discipline in my training and lead a dis organised life in the main. If you would like to, I would like to join the group. 
2011-01-08 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3286611

User image

Master
St. Louis
ladpc14 - 2011-01-08 12:03 PM Hey!  I would love to join this group.  Ill give some info about me first...

Story: I have always been very active since I was able to walk.  I played 4 varsity sports in high school and went on to play college basketball for 4 years.  I graduated college in 2005 and needless to say, I am not in as good of shape.  I have run may 5K's and 10K's and 1 half marathon.  I like to push myself and I am very goal oriented. I have several friends who have done sprint triathlons and 1 friend who has done an Ironman.  I have decided I would like to jump on board. I plan to do the sprint triathlon on May 14th in Clemson, SC.
Family Status: Just got married this past June and both are 28 years old.
Current Training: I am about to start doing one of the training guides off of beginner triathlete.  Its the 3X balance for sprint triathlons. I have been running 3-4 days a week and play basketball2x a week.
WEight Loss: I could lose about 20 pounds to be where I feel the best.  Hopefully, training for a triathlon will get me there.
What would make me a good mentoree: I am very open and curious about new ideas, training etc.  I love to see progress and to work hard towards a goal. I am a very determined individual and wont stop until the goal is achieved.

I look forward to asking questions and seeing everyone else's questions. Thanks and good luck to all!

Welcome!  What is your first name?
2011-01-08 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3286631

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sooner - 2011-01-08 12:20 PM

Hi Ryan & Mike,

I would like to join your group.....this is all new to me and I could really use some help.

NAME:
Allen Morrison

STORY:
I am 43 years old living in Orange County, California.  I have never participated in anything like this but have committed myself to the process and know that I will need help and support to stay focused and motivated.  The last time I ran the mile was in high school!!  Over the last 20 years I have fairly maintained my weight by inconsistently working out with weights, doing the treadmill or stair climber and playing basketball once a week.

I am 6'2" and NOW weigh 195 lbs.  In November I went on a diet and have lost 30 lbs.....I was at my heaviest ever at 227 lbs...my family and friends said "you dont need to lose weight...you carry the weight really well"....but I knew when looking at myself I was not comfortable and needed to make some changes in my life.  Towards the end of December one of my employees (a young 31 year old!!) said you look great so what are you going to do to maintain it?...he was right and I had been looking for something to challenge myself....he explained that he was going to do a Sprint Triathlon on May 1st and when I looked into it...it became clear this was an awesome challenge for me to carry myself into 2011.

FAMILY STATUS:
I married my high school sweetheart and we are going to celebrate 23 years in June......we have two kids.  My son is 14 and my daughter is 12.

CURRENT TRAINING:
The past few weeks have been 3 days a week at the gym lifting and using various machines.....I have decided to start using the 16 week Sprint - Swim focused program I found on the BT site...I start this on Monday and it should be completed the week before my race.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have already registered and paid for the Sprint Race at Mission Beach in San Diego on May 1st.  No turning back now!

2010 RACES:  None

WEIGHTLOSS: 30 lbs since November

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am comitted to this and will require some hand holding, support and guidence throughout this journey.  I cannot do it alone!  I have so many questions and need someone to go to.  I need someone to help me kill that little voice inside my head that keeps telling me to stop...your a fool!

Welcome Allen!  Congrats on the weightloss.  That is impressive.
2011-01-08 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3286655

User image

Master
St. Louis
burningrabbit - 2011-01-08 12:42 PM My name is Jack Hewitt. I live in central Wisconsin, befriended and encouraged by a Masters Ironman ranked 11th in the world. I'm 56y/o, inveterate athlete/weightlifter and wedded to my local YMCA, ride my Klein 35-100 miles almost daily in the Summer and Fall months and learning to love swimming laps again. I am a reluctant adult who is married with a 16y/o daughter. I would rather act than speak, which makes me asocial sometimes and chronically underemployed. My current training will be a BT 16 week Olympic-run focused, beginning this Monday. This year's races will include at least one Olympic tri and several Sprint tri's. I am about 6 feet tall and weigh 175 lbs.; weight is a non-issue. Being held accountable for results will make me a good mentee because I desire discipline in my training and lead a dis organised life in the main. If you would like to, I would like to join the group. 

Welcome Jack, you came to the right place.
2011-01-08 2:10 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Here is the group so far.  We'll close it at 15 (one more).

_T2_ - Thomas
paygilr - Tanya
Brightbow - Victoria
MarlaS - Marla
CliffK110 - Cliff
rebersole2 - Robert
conway9 - Mike
metii - Gene
akouwenberg - Adam
soccersandi00 - Jennifer
caramy - ???
ladpc14 - ???
Sooner - Allen
burningrabbit - Jack

2011-01-08 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3285986

Embarassed
2011-01-08 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3285961

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
paygilr - 2011-01-07 10:46 PM Marla,
No worries about my family support, they don't get in my schedules way my hubby just fears for my safety when running/cycling on the road with drivers who don't understand the damage they can do to a runner/cyclist.  That is the only hang up my hubby has, my children have learned to wait until mommy is done before asking any questions and mommy has learned to put a movie in before doing any exercise in the house Laughing.
Tanya 

sounds like quite a lot of common sense floating around
2011-01-08 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Went on crutches to my 1st winter 10K speed development group meeting - does that count as exercise? I moved fast......!
2011-01-08 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3286020

User image

bigr82 - 2011-01-07 11:11 PM

Jennifer, welcome!

Looks like there is 4 of us on the way to NOLA!  Hope to meet up with everyone!  P.s. Im nervous

Don't be nervous!! It will be really fun! We can setup a lunch or dinner (or post race celebration) to meet everybody. I can't wait!!  Laughing
2011-01-08 4:23 PM

User image

NAME: Jennifer Johnson

STORY:
I actually started running July 2009 to lose weight for my wedding. I had signed up for the Quad Cities Half Marathon and finished it in September 2009 in about 2:50:something. After my wedding, the running continued and I signed up for my second and third half marathons in 2010. At the beginning of 2010, my customers twisted my arm for me to sign up for my first triathlon. So I completed my second and third half marathons in March and April 2010, and my first triathlon in June 2010. Of course, after my first tri, I was HOOKED. To-date, I have completed 5 half marathons, two sprint tri's, one oly tri, and just keep coming back for more.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married for a year and ... almost three months?  Smile We have three awesome dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  I have a coach out of Louisville Kentucky coaching me virtually for New Orleans 70.3 (April 2011).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: New Orleans 70.3 in April, Sprint Tri (Tri-Shark) in June, Steamboat 15K in June, Evergreen Oly in July, Railsplitter Oly in August, Cedar Point REV3 70.3 in September, and then finally my first Marathon in October - Chicago.

2010 RACES:  Delavan Half Marathon, St Louis Go Half Marathon, Tri-Shark, Los Gatos Half Marathon, Tri-the-Illini, Rend Lake Last Try, IVS Peoria Half Marathon.... I'm leaving out a view but those were my biggest of 2010.

WEIGHTLOSS: July 2009 - 183. January 2011 - 151.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I take advice very well. I am not as stubborn as I was growing up.  Laughing  I love being a part of a "team". And most of all, I love meeting people that share my love of running and triathlons.

2011-01-08 5:17 PM

New user

Atlanta
Hello guys, if there is still room I'd like to join your group. Here is my info:

NAME:  Steve

STORY:
 After I got out of college I started bicycling, however as I started working full time I found myself getting out on the bike less and less. I'm a CPA, and the first part of the year is extremely busy for us with a lot of companies on calendar year ends requiring audits and tax work to do. Last year in particular took quite a toll, as I stopped really doing any kind of exercise and ate very poorly. By June, my weight had gone up to about 200 pounds (I'm 5'11"), and to just get back into control I decided I'd start running. I ended up signing up for the Atlanta Half Marathon and completed it this past Thanksgiving Day. I had so much fun training for it, I decided I wanted to go ahead and get into tri's as a way to keep running and get back on the bike. Now I just need to figure out the whole swimming thing...

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married for 2.5 years, no children yet (I'm 27 and my wife is 26, we're not really in a hurry )

CURRENT TRAINING:
 Running a few times a week, about to add swim and biking in as well. Next couple months will be very busy for me, so I'll have to do a lot of my training in the gym early in the morning or late at night.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: TBD, I'm looking for a good sprint to do in May and would like to do a few ore including Olympic distance before the season is done.

2010 RACES:  Atlanta Half Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: Currently 180, up from about 175 at Thanksgiving. I'd like to drop another 10-15 pounds, but honestly fitness means more to me than a particular number.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm someone who loves to learn and get advice, and open minded to the opinions of others.
2011-01-08 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3287097

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
steve, you in atlanta now or just like to race there?
marla
2011-01-08 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3287203

New user

Atlanta
MarlaS - 2011-01-08 7:38 PM steve, you in atlanta now or just like to race there?
marla

Yes, I live in Atlanta.
2011-01-08 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3287222

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
rad110 - 2011-01-08 7:50 PM
MarlaS - 2011-01-08 7:38 PM steve, you in atlanta now or just like to race there?
marla

Yes, I live in Atlanta.

Moved from ATL to DC area 4 years ago, and it's still "home." Always thought that folks who ruined a perfectly good summer holiday to run at dawn or watch others do so were absolutely nuts, but looking forward to my 2nd Peachtree this summer. Joined the Atlanta Track Club too

We were there mid-Dec for the last snow - can't seem to escape the stupid stuff.
2011-01-08 6:59 PM

Hi Everyone and Welcome!!

Marla-there is absolutely no common sense here!! Laughing

Mike- I am just as bad in virtual world with names and faces as I am in the real world.  Luckily Ryan and Mike, you are friends so maybe I haven't upset you too two much Foot in mouth.  

My workout was running
5 min warm up
20 min run
5 minute cool down
20 min stretch

Sundays are family days so no work out for me tomorrow.

Hope you all had a great workout weekend!

2011-01-08 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3287226

New user

Atlanta
Cool, my wife and I actually just joined the Atlanta Track Club to make sure we got into the Peachtree this year. I've never done it before so I'm really looking forward to it.
2011-01-08 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3287263

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
rad110 - 2011-01-08 8:21 PM Cool, my wife and I actually just joined the Atlanta Track Club to make sure we got into the Peachtree this year. I've never done it before so I'm really looking forward to it.

Did it for the 1st time this past summer w/ my daughter & old neighbors (so it was something of a whine fest w/ the 11-year-old Smile) but it was a blast. Who woulda thought so many runners got up & on MARTA so freaking early in the morning? Very cool view of Atlanta, from street level into midtown, and the crowds were just great.

Told my daughter she can watch it this year, so I'm looking forward to trying to actually run it. That's why I joined ATC too - the website was a mess last year, and it was well worth the $ to me to join to get the early registration.

Best advice I could give you is to be sure you have your breezecard charged the day before....
2011-01-08 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3287234

User image

How did you get a photo 50k to put on your profile?
2011-01-08 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3287471

User image

Sorry I meant this for the whole group
2011-01-08 10:11 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - FULL!
Ok, looks like an awesome group and we are FULL!

Here is the group

Ryan and Mike's mentor group
_T2_ - Thomas
paygilr - Tanya
Brightbow - Victoria
MarlaS - Marla
CliffK110 - Cliff
rebersole2 - Robert
conway9 - Mike
metii - Gene
akouwenberg - Adam
soccersandi00 - Jennifer
caramy - ???
ladpc14 - ???
Sooner - Allen
burningrabbit - Jack
rad110 - Steve

2011-01-08 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3287484

User image

I'm having a hard time to find a 50k photo of myself. Any suggestions?
2011-01-08 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3287471

User image

Master
St. Louis
_T2_ - 2011-01-08 10:03 PM How did you get a photo 50k to put on your profile?

One way is to open the pic you want in Windows Paint then go to stretch and reduce the vertical and horizontal % to whatever number gets you under 50k.  If that doesn't work, let me know.
2011-01-08 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3287097

User image

Master
St. Louis
rad110 - 2011-01-08 5:17 PM Hello guys, if there is still room I'd like to join your group. Here is my info:

NAME:  Steve

STORY:
 After I got out of college I started bicycling, however as I started working full time I found myself getting out on the bike less and less. I'm a CPA, and the first part of the year is extremely busy for us with a lot of companies on calendar year ends requiring audits and tax work to do. Last year in particular took quite a toll, as I stopped really doing any kind of exercise and ate very poorly. By June, my weight had gone up to about 200 pounds (I'm 5'11"), and to just get back into control I decided I'd start running. I ended up signing up for the Atlanta Half Marathon and completed it this past Thanksgiving Day. I had so much fun training for it, I decided I wanted to go ahead and get into tri's as a way to keep running and get back on the bike. Now I just need to figure out the whole swimming thing...

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married for 2.5 years, no children yet (I'm 27 and my wife is 26, we're not really in a hurry )

CURRENT TRAINING:
 Running a few times a week, about to add swim and biking in as well. Next couple months will be very busy for me, so I'll have to do a lot of my training in the gym early in the morning or late at night.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: TBD, I'm looking for a good sprint to do in May and would like to do a few ore including Olympic distance before the season is done.

2010 RACES:  Atlanta Half Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: Currently 180, up from about 175 at Thanksgiving. I'd like to drop another 10-15 pounds, but honestly fitness means more to me than a particular number.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm someone who loves to learn and get advice, and open minded to the opinions of others.

Welcome Steve and congrats on finishing your half marathon!
2011-01-08 10:37 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

We'll go through a list of topics over the next few weeks, but feel free to throw out questions, comments, and observations about tri training/racing as they come up.  Two rules, first we will treat everyone with respect and two, there are no dumb questions.

A few of the topics we will cover are:

goal setting
training by RPE/heart rate/power
swim training
bike training
run training
core training
nutrition
rest and recovery
race day

and any other topics everyone would like, so let us know what you would like covered.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23