Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-05-12 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Subject: Yes, triathlon bikes are faster

Much faster.  

1-3 mph faster than a typical road bike position. If you are reading the BT forums, you probably fall in the high end of that estimate. No offense intended.

If you can touch your knees, you have sufficient flexibility to ride the intended position. If you attend to the major body angles when determining that position, adaptation happens quickly.  You could ride that position in shorter races and go much faster within days.

An experienced bike fitter can use his eyeballs to determine if moderate to major position changes will be more aerodynamic.  That same fitter could also use his eyeballs to judge smaller position changes and be correct the overwhelming majority of the time. 

To scientifically verify those changes does not require a wind tunnel. A power meter and some free software will suffice, with roughly the same margin of error when properly employed.

If you go from a properly fitted road bike to a proplerly fitted tri bike, you will go faster. If you drop the front end down 3 inches because you have room to without closing off the hip angle, you will go faster. (In fact, if you can drop the front end down 3 inches without closing off the hip angle, you will likely make even greater power while being more aero. It's a 2 for 1 special for many riders. Reason being the hip was too open to begin with.

Narrow the arms 2 inches because you can and still are able to breathe, you will go faster.

Drop a low front end down 1 cm, you will most likely be faster. Narrow already narrow elbow pads 1 cm, you will most likely be aero. You need to be extremely low and extremely narrow for lower and narrower not to be more aero. Most will reach their physical limitations long before their aerodynamic ones.

Speaking of physical limitiations, what exactly are my qualifications here to determine who can ride a tri bike effectively?   My fitting experience has been in line with what was taught in the FIST literature. Which is that a majority of folks can ride a road bike in a position that would emulate top level pro riders. Not everyone, but most.  Some small degree of athleticism is required, but not much. 80-90% of those I have fit would qualify.

In the case of triathlon/TT bikes, most can ride in a position emulating the best TT bike riders. Not quite as many as could duplicate those road bike positions, but still a majority. A little bit more athleticism is needed. 65-75% of those I have fit would qualify.

Adaptation to a bike is a lifelong process. Sufficient adapatation to use a bike effectively as it was intended can be done in a week. This assumes the fit is good and the athleticism required to ride the position is present.

"Lower isn't faster"  "Tri bikes may not be faster" "Adaptation takes a year" are statements that are either completely untrue, or true in such extremely rare circumstances as to be all but worthless, and at best misleading in the context of what those reading this forum need to hear.

Edited by Dave Luscan 2011-05-12 8:09 PM

2011-05-12 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3496470

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Yes, triathlon bikes are faster
There's nothing posted in your logs to substantiate this claim...
2011-05-12 8:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-05-12 8:21 PM
2011-05-12 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3496510

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

My statement has no context.

Any position you ride in a triathlon you need to be able to run off of effectively.  That should be obvious.

Folks don't run poorly because they ride too low. They run poorly because of poor fitness. If the position is an issue, they are almost always too stretched out, not too low.

I don't sell extreme positions. (I do occasionally ride one).  I sell forward positions with powerful hip angles and properly supported torsos.  The net result of those parameters is the rider generally leaving lower than they arrive. In most cases they are also more comfortable, powerful and able to run afterwards.

2011-05-12 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3496524

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-05-12 8:27 PM
2011-05-12 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3496531

Elite
Spring, TX
Fred Doucette - 2011-05-12 8:25 PM
Dave Luscan - 2011-05-12 9:21 PM

My statement has no context.

Any position you ride in a triathlon you need to be able to run off of effectively.  That should be obvious.

Folks don't run poorly because they ride too low. They run poorly because of poor fitness. If the position is an issue, they are almost always too stretched out, not too low.

I don't sell extreme positions. (I do occasionally ride one).  I sell forward positions with powerful hip angles and properly supported torsos.  The net result of those parameters is the rider generally leaving lower than they arrive. In most cases they are also more comfortable, powerful and able to run afterwards.

Dave, I don't sell anything related to triathlon. I don't doubt your abilities or your skill and I suspect you are a much faster cyclist than me.

I just respectfully disagree on this one. I am only offering another (different) opinion on the matter.

Fred, I think there's some truth to what both of you are saying.  Riding lower than a rider is comfortable with and/or adjusted to is detrimental.  If a specific rider finds that an aggressive position leads to digestive problems, then they may want to back off(although I would first look to pacing/fitness before position).

That being said, a low, narrow and aggressive position most likely will be fastest for a rider if they are willing to spend the time to HTFU and acclimate to it.  Due diligence should be done to see how power drops off as the position gets more aggressive, but I think in general, a slick position is a benefit to most people...they just have to be willing to take the time to get used to it. 

I see it as a continuum.  Riders should progressively get lower and more aggressive as their fitness improves and they spend more time riding aero.  Small, incremental changes...

2011-05-12 8:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

Thing is though, you don't really disagree. (And neither does Tom D. for that matter) Playing the devil's advocate is cool though.

You are speaking of situations that many folks think happen a lot, when actually they happen almost never.

Sure you can ride too low and run bad, and sure you can ride to low and be uncomfortable. Of course triathlon positions need to be workable for triathlons. Not arguing against that. All I fit is triathletes.

What I am saying is that most folks do not run poorly because they are too low. They don't dislike their tri bikes because they are not athletic enough.  They don't ride the same speed as their road bike because they are uncomfortable.

The kicker here is that higher is not necessarily more comfortable, and it is less powerful a lot of the time as well. 

People are afraid to come forward on their seats... heck bike shops that sell Cervelos don't know that that rear hole on the seat post is only for folks who need to fit to UCI regulations.  THAT IS THE ONLY REASON IT EXISTS as per the engineers who designed the bike.

Insisting on sitting slack on a TT bike is very limiting.

Triathlon bikes exist for one reason, and they were designed from the aerobars back. Come forward on the seat so you can ride low in the front while maintaining a powerful hip anlgle. That is all.

Dear readers, Tom D. is correct and Fred D. as well. Thing is, they are correct in a context so narrow, for a population so small, that here and now for all practical purposes, they are wrong.

2011-05-12 8:43 PM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

You sell?

Um, I don't disagree with your premise, and all things being equal, you're right. But all things aren't equal.

I do disagree that a powermeter is necessary to verify the changes, scientifically. Use RPE or HR and speed, that's science, albeit not supported with the number of decimal places of a powermeter. There is plenty of sound science that uses RPE or HR, and plenty of bogus or illiterate science around Powermeters. It goes both ways.  You hit the key: Properly employed.

Another technicality: Narrowing the arms has recently been debunked, at least anecdotally. Cavendish, Sarah Hammer, and others have kept their arms wider because they're not all able to hit the Zabriskie super-narrow position without giving up lung capacity or comfort, and reducing speed. They seem to hit, for them, the best speed with arms wider. So I woudn't take this as a given.

Generally, though, good post. Useful stuff.

2011-05-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3496545

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

Fred, I think there's some truth to what both of you are saying.  Riding lower than a rider is comfortable with and/or adjusted to is detrimental.  If a specific rider finds that an aggressive position leads to digestive problems, then they may want to back off(although I would first look to pacing/fitness before position).

That being said, a low, narrow and aggressive position most likely will be fastest for a rider if they are willing to spend the time to HTFU and acclimate to it.  Due diligence should be done to see how power drops off as the position gets more aggressive, but I think in general, a slick position is a benefit to most people...they just have to be willing to take the time to get used to it. 

I see it as a continuum.  Riders should progressively get lower and more aggressive as their fitness improves and they spend more time riding aero.  Small, incremental changes...

The above is quoted  ^^^^^

Digestive capability, breathing, sustainability, ability to run are not being ignored here in any way. Lower is faster does not negate the need to breath, digest, and survive to run well. 

And I do appreciate the somewhat supportive post, BUT I have got my feathers in a bunch tonight and I have to disagree with the assertion that continued adaptation over time is a good thing. Pull the band aid off and adapt for gods sake.  Don't keep making little changes over the course of 3 months or 3 years and say "Well, I'm adapting" 

No, you're not adapting, you're riding a bad position until you finally make it to a good one. Just go ahead and get to a good one. It won't hurt much at all and going faster is an analgesic of sorts.

I don't want anyone to HTFU and I don't know what an aggressive position is.  Seriously, I do not. If I need 10cm of drop to ride an entirely appropriate 79 degrees of seat tube angle with a damn near perfect 100 degree hip angle, is this aggressive?

This is probably a good time to tell you I have long admired the J.G. quote in your sig line, as well as your generally even headed and helpful presence here.

Edited by Dave Luscan 2011-05-12 9:04 PM
2011-05-12 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3496553

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

Another technicality: Narrowing the arms has recently been debunked, at least anecdotally. Cavendish, Sarah Hammer, and others have kept their arms wider because they're not all able to hit the Zabriskie super-narrow position without giving up lung capacity or comfort, and reducing speed. They seem to hit, for them, the best speed with arms wider. So I woudn't take this as a given.

Thank you, but as to the bolded part..not really.  Again, this is talking in the context of folks already riding world class narrow trying to emulate the man with the narrowest arms in the world. I am talking in the context of the other 99.99% of the world 

Edited by Dave Luscan 2011-05-12 9:07 PM
2011-05-12 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3496569

Elite
Spring, TX
Dave Luscan - 2011-05-12 8:55 PM

The above is quoted  ^^^^^

Digestive capability, breathing, sustainability, ability to run are not being ignored here in any way. Lower is faster does not negate the need to breath, digest, and survive to run well. 

And I do appreciate the somewhat supportive post, BUT I have got my feathers in a bunch tonight and I have to disagree with the assertion that continued adaptation over time is a good thing. Pull the band aid off and adapt for gods sake.  Don't keep making little changes over the course of 3 months or 3 years and say "Well, I'm adapting" 

No, you're not adapting, you're riding a bad position until you finally make it to a good one. Just go ahead and get to a good one. It won't hurt much at all and going faster is an analgesic of sorts.

I don't want anyone to HTFU and I don't know what an aggressive position is.  Seriously, I do not. If I need 10cm of drop to ride an entirely appropriate 79 degrees of seat tube angle with a damn near perfect 100 degree hip angle, is this aggressive?

This is probably a good time to tell you I have long admired the J.G. quote in your sig line, as well as your generally even headed and helpful presence here.

Thanks for the kind words.

When applied to myself, I fully agree with you.  However, given the nature of this site, I don't agree with the "pull the bandaid off" philosophy for everyone.  When you have time and determination to adjust to an "aggressive" position, then making the jump all at once makes sense.  But a lot of people who have intermediate race goals and who might be more recreational focused than performance focused, I'm not sure that it makes a lot of sense to advocate big jumps.

2011-05-12 9:32 PM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Careful, Dave... You're dangerously close to saying something as blasphemous as "it's not rocket science".

And to the point that your premises aren't necessarily true for the HIM/IM athlete, I'd say that, as you mentioned in your post, for the vast majority of BEGINNERS (as in, the readers of this fine site), the points are dead-on.

Edited by briderdt 2011-05-12 9:34 PM
2011-05-12 11:04 PM

Master
Fred Doucette - 2011-05-12 8:25 PM

Dave, I don't sell anything related to triathlon. I don't doubt your abilities or your skill and I suspect you are a much faster cyclist than me.

I think Dave posted a 29mph average in his last 40k TT.   So you don't have to suspect (unless your name is Phinney or Olheiser or something similar).

2011-05-12 11:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Tri-bikes are 1-3 mph faster.  I'll take that.  What about versus a road bike with clip-ons?  1-2 mph faster at best?

2011-05-13 12:26 AM

Expert
Boise
BUT if you're in pain in that aggressive awesome aero position your body will decrease the force output of your muscles to attempt to protect itself from injury. This happens at the level of the brain stem. So you'll end up going slower despite the aero gains.Example: HIM distance race. You go out harder than normal on the swim, you get on your aggressively set up tri bike. Mile 25 your shoulders/back start to kill you. Your body starts decreasing force output secondary to pain. You end up going slower than if your bike was set up more conservatively and your more comfortable. Just food for thought.

Edited by crazyquick23 2011-05-13 12:27 AM
2011-05-13 3:27 AM
in reply to: #3496714

Melon Presser
msteiner - 2011-05-13 1:40 PM

Tri-bikes are 1-3 mph faster.  I'll take that.  What about versus a road bike with clip-ons?  1-2 mph faster at best?

I was wondering this myself. Let's say you can pretty closely emulate a tri position on a good quality road bike with, say, FF seat post, aerobars, any other gear you deem necessary, and a damn good fitting.

You're still going to lose time shifting. I understand that.

^^^Taking that into account, what would the gains of a tri bike be over a tri fit on a road bike?

2011-05-13 5:29 AM
in reply to: #3496696

2011-05-13 5:30 AM
in reply to: #3496553

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-05-13 5:53 AM
2011-05-13 5:31 AM
in reply to: #3496714

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
msteiner - 2011-05-13 1:40 AM

This should give you an idea:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/how-aero-is-aero-19273/

Shane
2011-05-13 5:37 AM

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-05-13 5:39 AM
2011-05-13 5:53 AM
in reply to: #3496810

Pro
, New Hampshire
Fred Doucette - 2011-05-13 6:37 AM

To *me* I would put the priorities on:
1. Comfort.
2. Position in which power can be best generated by the rider.
3. Individuality. ie; what is the flexibility of the rider, the goals and the INJURY history of the rider etc.

I agree with Fred for the most part... I would refine #2 to include the most power with the least aerodynamic drag without compromising #1

The change to #2, does in some ways include Dave's views from the original post. Lower/narrower is better. But I have to agree with Fred that this is true only as long you don't compromise comfort and reduce power to the point where you offset the gain aerodynamics. It's a balance.

2011-05-13 5:56 AM
in reply to: #3496818

2011-05-13 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3496822

Veteran
horseheads

*I* agree with Dave.

NOT being devil's advocate, i truly feel the same.  lets think about this in a math/geometry direction here.

utilizing the FIST protocol there are a set of angles we are trying to achieve.  hip/shoulder/elbow/leg

the way a Tri/TT bike is designed is to allow you to obtain those angles by rotating around the BB as your pivot point.  

you *can* get into a lower and narrower position AND still keep the same appropriate angles from your FIST protocol.  

if you are comfortable AND powerful in one position, i can with almost 100% certainty say there is a way to get you LOWER without changing your position angles.  there IS a bike/bar/extension/pad/stem combo out there that will allow for you to rotate your position without changing any other geometry. (unless you are of some weird size like Matty Reed)

the Narrow part i DO feel is subject to the length of the riders Humorous bone as the shorter they are the less narrow you can get your elbows as they will restrict your breathing at some point.  BUT chances are, you are NOT at that point now.

a lower frontal area at the same wattage (maybe even less!) will be faster!

i bet Dave COULD ride that position and run off from it no different.  like he said it's not the position that makes the run bad....... it's all the other crap.

Math.... it's what's for dinner!

Edited by SLED DOG 2011-05-13 6:47 AM
2011-05-13 7:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland

I'm no certified fitter or pro triathlete or coach.. but..

I would imagine you would want to be as low as you can COMFORTABLY go.  I do believe it will be faster than a road bike simply based on aerodynamics of the TT position vs road position. 

Example:

a few weekends ago I was riding with a friend. He is a much better cyclist than I am. We were on flat (i mean real flat) surface and had a real bad head wind of at least 20mph constant.  he was on a road bike (Bianchi) , me on my Tri bike (Litespeed).  I got into my aero bars and head down and just pedaled.  I looked up about 10min later and my buddy was way behind me. Couldnt even come close to keeping up with me.

Proved it for me.

2011-05-13 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3496822

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

Fred and all, the respect is mutual. And I agree with you guys, in that you can't compromise your race for a postion.  My entire pont is that almost everyone lurking on this site does not need to worry about that because they have much more room to get aero before that race is compromised. I think overemphasis on the "don't ride too low because it will effect..." is somewhat a disservice.

As far as my avatar position goes, the radical stuff there is not the hip angle, knee angle or aerobar drop. Beleive it or not that is an ideal 100 degrees of hip angle at a fairly forward 82 degrees of seat tube angle and 15 cm of aerobar drop.  The outlying measurement is shoulder angle (cockpit distance).  I am waaaaay stretched out at over 110 degrees of shoulder angle. 90 cm of cockpit compared to 78 cm of seat height is a little nuts. The other radical bit is my width, or lack of. I am riding very narrow there.  Also, I am able to physically lower my head and hold it very low, very well. It is also very stressful on my neck. I would probably do this less as the triathlon race distance increased, but it would require no change to the bike for me to do this.

I am going to run this exact set up in a sprint in 1 week and see how it goes. I full expect to need to bring the cockpit in a bit to not compromise my running at some distance, but I am going to play the wait and see game first. I have ridden that position a lot and I am going out for another 2.5 hours here shortly with a brick run after.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yes, triathlon bikes are faster Rss Feed  

of 3