General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Crossfit Training Result/Experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-02-07 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4034797

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-02-07 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4034797

Regular
United States
Subject: RE: My Crossfit Training Result/Experience

gsmacleod - 2012-02-07 6:17 PM
bencoy - 2012-02-07 7:45 PM My common sense common was referring to either extreme...all CF and no aerobic LSD training or vice versa. You can incorporate both and get results. As an average, age grouper I have. Results may very...
You can do both and be able to perform both CF type workouts and sbr. However, if one's goal is to be the fastest triathlete they can, then I would argue that CF/CFE have little to no place in a training plan. It all depends on the fitness goals of the athlete. However, while I haven't heard a triathlete claim that sbr is the most effective way to train for the CF games, I've heard lots of CFers claim that their method is superior to train for triathlon which is simply absurd. Shane

As I mentioned earlier, I agree...claims that CF alone will make someone a stud triathlete are silly.

I disagree that CF has no place in training for triathlon. It's a strength and conditioning program that trains that is focused on natural muscle movement. What types of weight training/strength training would you propose an athlete who's main goal is to be the best triathlete add to their workout routine? What do you incorporate into your training? And, what is the goal of doing so? 

2012-02-07 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4034867

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
bencoy - 2012-02-07 6:20 PM
What types of weight training/strength training would you propose an athlete who's main goal is to be the best triathlete add to their workout routine?

Oh, I'll answer! How about MORE swim/bike/run?! What do I win?

Seriously, I train..a lot. If I could find more time, I would swim more, bike more, run more. That's how I become the best triathlete I can be and even at my level if I managed to do more S/B/R I would be even better. And try and keep in mind the folks posting above you on this page have a HUGE amount of knowledge, experience, and results. To them YOU should listen.

Edited by bryancd 2012-02-07 8:48 PM
2012-02-07 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4030726

Master
Essex Jct, VT
I believe all men aged 35-39 should do Cross Fit.  
2012-02-07 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4034993

Master
Essex Jct, VT

bryancd - 2012-02-07 9:44 PM
bencoy - 2012-02-07 6:20 PM What types of weight training/strength training would you propose an athlete who's main goal is to be the best triathlete add to their workout routine?
Oh, I'll answer! How about MORE swim/bike/run?! What do I win? Seriously, I train..a lot. If I could find more time, I would swim more, bike more, run more. That's how I become the best triathlete I can be and even at my level if I managed to do more S/B/R I would be even better. And try and keep in mind the folks posting above you on this page have a HUGE amount of knowledge, experience, and results. To them YOU should listen.

I agree, but Bryan you are starting to sound like Yoda.

2012-02-07 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4035006

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
rsmoylan - 2012-02-07 7:53 PM

bencoy - 2012-02-07 6:20 PM What types of weight training/strength training would you propose an athlete who's main goal is to be the best triathlete add to their workout routine?
Oh, I'll answer! How about MORE swim/bike/run?! What do I win? Seriously, I train..a lot. If I could find more time, I would swim more, bike more, run more. That's how I become the best triathlete I can be and even at my level if I managed to do more S/B/R I would be even better. And try and keep in mind the folks posting above you on this page have a HUGE amount of knowledge, experience, and results. To them YOU should listen.

Compared to what some people in this thread understand about triathlon training, I AM Yoda.

2012-02-07 9:08 PM

Master
Essex Jct, VT

I suppose that Lance would have been better on the bike if he did cross fit.  

Or Michael Phelps.

Kobe.

Please.

2012-02-07 9:34 PM

Expert

I had a big chess match coming up a while back and needed to get ready for it.  I started training hard with crossfit.  Five and six days a week!  Sometimes twice a day!  I have to admit, I strayed from the program a little when the day before the match I had someone explain the rules of chess to me, but other than that, just lots of crossfit.  I don't know what happened, I thought I was prepared, but I lost that chess game in 3 moves!

What did I do wrong?  I don't understand it!

2012-02-07 9:44 PM

Regular
United States

Are these last few comments all directed at me? I hope I am not coming across as "all crossfit and nothing else".  If my comments were condescending tone, my apologies as that was not my intent (though, reading back through, maybe some of them could have been worded better...)

I just think CF is a great way to program strength and conditioning and can be used to supplement SBR training, not a replacement. 

2012-02-07 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4034993

Regular
United States

bryancd - 2012-02-07 8:44 PM

So, you don't do any weight training or anything? Offseason?

I'm not challenging that there is plenty of experience and knowledge here...that's why I'm here.  ;-) I am listening.

2012-02-07 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4035025

Regular
United States
rsmoylan - 2012-02-07 9:08 PM

Or Michael Phelps.

Kobe.

Please.

Maybe not CrossFit specifically, but I'm sure they do some type of strength training. Right?

2012-02-07 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4035079

Master
Essex Jct, VT
bencoy - 2012-02-07 10:44 PM

Are these last few comments all directed at me? I hope I am not coming across as "all crossfit and nothing else".  If my comments were condescending tone, my apologies as that was not my intent (though, reading back through, maybe some of them could have been worded better...)

I just think CF is a great way to program strength and conditioning and can be used to supplement SBR training, not a replacement. 

I was not aiming at you per se.  However, I do feel tend to see CF'ers consistently make claims that are neither backed up nor supported with anything other that n=1.  

People who have great run or cycling fitness come into this sport thinking that they should be able to swim because they have this huge aerobic base.  Most people will then write on the boards that they can't swim 25 yds without stopping to gasp for breath.  Why?  One reason is poor technique.  The other is that they lack specificity to that sport.  Run fitness does not equal bike fitness does not equal swim fitness.  

If you want to excel at something you must perform that thing tirelessly.  I'm not saying CF is bad (though I do lean that way from what I have read and seen), but I am saying that if you want to EXCEL at triathlon, your first focus has to be s/b/r.  If you have more time then do more s/b/r.  This is proven.  This is truth.  This is irrefutable.  

Edited by rsmoylan 2012-02-07 10:00 PM
2012-02-07 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4035096

Regular
United States
rsmoylan - 2012-02-07 9:58 PM
bencoy - 2012-02-07 10:44 PM

I was not aiming at you per se.  However, I do feel tend to see CF'ers consistently make claims that are neither backed up nor supported with anything other that n=1.  

People who have great run or cycling fitness come into this sport thinking that they should be able to swim because they have this huge aerobic base.  Most people will then write on the boards that they can't swim 25 yds without stopping to gasp for breath.  Why?  One reason is poor technique.  The other is that they lack specificity to that sport.  Run fitness does not equal bike fitness does not equal swim fitness.  

If you want to excel at something you must perform that thing tirelessly.  I'm not saying CF is bad (though I do lean that way from what I have read and seen), but I am saying that if you want to EXCEL at triathlon, your first focus has to be s/b/r.  If you have more time then do more s/b/r.  This is proven.  This is truth.  This is irrefutable.  

I can agree with that. You can't just show up and expect to Excel without training at the sport you are competing in. No doubt.

2012-02-07 11:37 PM
in reply to: #4034867

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
bencoy - 2012-02-07 4:20 PM
I disagree that CF has no place in training for triathlon. It's a strength and conditioning program that trains that is focused on natural muscle movement. What types of weight training/strength training would you propose an athlete who's main goal is to be the best triathlete add to their workout routine? What do you incorporate into your training? And, what is the goal of doing so? 

Biking and running are linear movements and swimming is a rotational movement so if your goal is to be the best triathlete there is no need for hand stand pushups, wall ball shots, high rep dead lifts, thrusters to name a few. Assuming you are doing adequate S/B/R interval training, you don't need to be doing any metcons or chipper workouts. If you have trouble with strict pull ups, push ups or back squats, you can forget about kipping pull ups, muscle ups, ring dips or overhead squats. So that rules out about 80% of Crossfit.

Triathletes tend to have weaker hamstrings, posterior chain and core stability. To address that, you can focus on functional movements at low reps (strength & power) with form being highest priority.

If getting faster is you're main goal you don't need to be doing much of it- maybe one workout a week or just about 5 minutes after each S/B/R workout. Dave Scott helped Craig Alexander and Chrissie Wellington with their strength regime but I would bet that it was a small fraction of their training time vs. actual S/B/R.
2012-02-08 12:07 AM
in reply to: #4034584

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Fred D - 2012-02-07 1:18 PM
Good points.

I will point out that one of the big problems in the triathlon world is that there is a high variability in the quality and knowledge levels of triathlon coaches. It is pretty easy to get a USAT level 1 certification and many clients do not get great coaching advice. There of course are many great coaches as well, but I would point out that this is probably not unlike the crossfit coaches as there are good ones and bad ones.

I agree that the USAT level 1 certification is pretty lax but at least it's based upon sound, proven methods of adaptation, progression and periodization. Programming from Crossfit headquarters is a joke so less informed CF coaches have a bad base to build upon. Your best CF coaches usually have many years of very good personal training under their belt and have excellent knowledge of physiology before they implemented CF methods to their programs.

Unfortunately, with crossfit level 1 certs going on every weekend at multiple places around the world, the coaching competence level is getting diluted very quickly. Plus there are many good CF coaches getting fed up with Crossfit HQ's BS and letting their affiliation with CF expire.
2012-02-08 3:43 AM
in reply to: #4033135

Regular

gsmacleod - 2012-02-07 3:21 AM
moose441 - 2012-02-07 4:34 AM But CF has shown repeatedly to reduce injuries.
Do you have a source for this? Thanks! Shane

Here is a cut out of one of the articles I read:

CrossFit led to a reduction in injuries among recruits. The Florida Police Corps Program was seeking training protocols that produced fitness and performance results above average compared to what was being used in traditional training programs. From the academy and agency standpoint, we had three additional requirements:
Reduction of injuries
Adaptability to all tenure periods
Recruits’ successful completion of the program physical fitness exit exam.

The results of the program in 2003 were better than expected. Injuries in my programs were down 80
percent in the first year. The few injuries that did occur happened under fill-in (i.e., non-CrossFit)  instructors when I was not present. In these instances, the substitute instructor “freelanced” and  used unstructured protocols inconsistent with CrossFit’s standards. Since that first year, we have had no physical training injuries related to our model of conditioning. None.

Here is another one:

Andy Stumpf is an Active Duty Navy SEAL and served as one of the BUDs phase 2 instructors (also a CF certified trainer).  He was interviewed on CF radio (it is pod cast if you want to listen to it).  He started implementing CF by substituting normal scheduled PT sessions with CF WODs.  As with anything new it took time to implement and and several classes before using CF as the main workout in place of a standard PT session consisting of pushups situp extra.  He goes on to explain that all performance during BUDs is documented in a computer data base.  After several classes he felt like he was turning out a better product and then before. So he went back and checked the data.  The data showed improvements in the class average o-course time and a reduction in overuse injuries.  He did add that over use injuries are a big problem in BUDs , the students run 9 miles a day just to the chow hall and back to get three meals.

I can keep going but this is way to long already and is way off topic. 

2012-02-08 4:26 AM
in reply to: #4035025

Regular
rsmoylan - 2012-02-07 7:08 PM

Or Michael Phelps.

Kobe.

Please.

I hate to tell you but all of these athletes do more then bike, swim, shoot baskets.  The have strength and conditioning programs as part of there workouts and I will bet my house that the movements they do, are movements done in CF they just don't call it that.  Even some of the anti-CF have admitted that part of a good workout program is strength, conditioning, mobility, and diet (all parts of CF).  I am the first person to admit that only doing CF is not the best way to be a good runner.  Even Greg Glassmen will admit that. He made the statement that he can take any elite athlete and by having them do CF he will see there weaknesses.  Then if one worked on the weaknesses they would become a better runner.  At no time does he make the claim that an elite level runner can stop running, only do CF and they will be a better runner.  I think a lot of people confuse his comments about CFers being the fittest people on earth with CFers are the best at all sports on earth.  There is a difference.  Gerg is just so argent that he does not think anything but general fitness is worth training for.   

People in Triathlon get hung up on this because triathlete consider themselves very fit people.  I hate to burst the triathlon bubble but Crissy Wellington and Creg Alexander are not the fittest people in the world they are just the best IM triathletes and arguably some of the best endurance athletes in the world.  IM is a specific sport not a test of fitness.  

Having been both a traditional S/B/R tri trainer and now a CFer, CF is a better way to become Generally Physically Prepared then S/B/R.  S/B/R is a good way to be a good triathlete.  They are different things.  Everyone has to make up their own mind on what they want out of their fitness goals.  

Edited by moose441 2012-02-08 4:28 AM
2012-02-08 4:48 AM
in reply to: #4035240

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2012-02-08 4:50 AM
2012-02-08 5:20 AM
in reply to: #4035246

Champion
Knoxville area

Fred D - 2012-02-08 5:48 AM 

The arrogance in Glassman's statements are lost on you I see. He seems so certain of himself that he just 'knows' he could make Ryan Hall a better runner, despite the fact Ryan has a top notch team around him. Statements like his will keep many reasonable people like me away from CF as they are so clearly intended to create buzz despite the complete and utter ignorance of them. Elite triathletes are very fit people. Who is th fittest type of athlete depends on what your criteria are for fitness, which becomes very arbitrary. It's like asking who is the nicest person? Who is the most beautiful person? Etc. Lastly I have no doubt that phelps, Kobe and others hav a strength program, but they are professional athletes that have the time available to do this. They also have trainers and masseuses that keep a constant eye on them. They are the EXCEPTION. What we are talking about here is the question of CF for the age group athlete who is time limited by work, family, budget etc. for the average age grouper who simply wants to be the best triathlete, then they should spend their limited time on SBR, not CF. if the goal of the age grouper is otherwise, ie; they don't want to be the fastest triathlete they can be (note this does not mean podium, it could mean a 16:59 IM time which is the fastest they can do) and they want more overall strength and they like the type of workouts that CF provides, then have at it. Wise would be you, to listen

+1

Strength training may indeed help an athlete who is already putting down serious (like, full time job level) amounts of training, but in those cases the athlete is already getting a very high amount of volume sbr'ing... something your local AG athlete working a 9-5 almost certainly cannot do...

Some of Xfit's idea's are sound, but any system that has it's participants do olympic lifts beyond is lacking in some good old fashioned common sense. There are VERY FEW people in your local gym who can properly do a Snatch (or power clean, or even a deadlift) and yes the WOD sometimes has people do those lifts to failure... AND claim to reduce injuries...

2012-02-08 5:29 AM
in reply to: #4035234

Pro
Wallingford, PA
moose441 - 2012-02-08 4:43 AM

gsmacleod - 2012-02-07 3:21 AM
moose441 - 2012-02-07 4:34 AM But CF has shown repeatedly to reduce injuries.
Do you have a source for this? Thanks! Shane

Here is a cut out of one of the articles I read:

CrossFit led to a reduction in injuries among recruits. The Florida Police Corps Program was seeking training protocols that produced fitness and performance results above average compared to what was being used in traditional training programs. From the academy and agency standpoint, we had three additional requirements:
Reduction of injuries
Adaptability to all tenure periods
Recruits’ successful completion of the program physical fitness exit exam.

The results of the program in 2003 were better than expected. Injuries in my programs were down 80
percent in the first year. The few injuries that did occur happened under fill-in (i.e., non-CrossFit)  instructors when I was not present. In these instances, the substitute instructor “freelanced” and  used unstructured protocols inconsistent with CrossFit’s standards. Since that first year, we have had no physical training injuries related to our model of conditioning. None.

Here is another one:

Andy Stumpf is an Active Duty Navy SEAL and served as one of the BUDs phase 2 instructors (also a CF certified trainer).  He was interviewed on CF radio (it is pod cast if you want to listen to it).  He started implementing CF by substituting normal scheduled PT sessions with CF WODs.  As with anything new it took time to implement and and several classes before using CF as the main workout in place of a standard PT session consisting of pushups situp extra.  He goes on to explain that all performance during BUDs is documented in a computer data base.  After several classes he felt like he was turning out a better product and then before. So he went back and checked the data.  The data showed improvements in the class average o-course time and a reduction in overuse injuries.  He did add that over use injuries are a big problem in BUDs , the students run 9 miles a day just to the chow hall and back to get three meals.

I can keep going but this is way to long already and is way off topic. 

I think Shane was looking for peer reviewed controlled scientific studies rather than interviews. What was the source of the info you sited above - my guess is they came from CF. With a little Googling I can find similar accounts of people who claim they were injured doing crossfit. Neither your anecdotes or mine would prove anything, other than that some individuals have had a good experience with crossfit, and some have not....
2012-02-08 5:34 AM
in reply to: #4035240

Pro
Wallingford, PA
moose441 - 2012-02-08 5:26 AM

Or Michael Phelps.

Kobe.

Please.

I hate to tell you but all of these athletes do more then bike, swim, shoot baskets.  The have strength and conditioning programs as part of there workouts and I will bet my house that the movements they do, are movements done in CF they just don't call it that.  Even some of the anti-CF have admitted that part of a good workout program is strength, conditioning, mobility, and diet (all parts of CF).  I am the first person to admit that only doing CF is not the best way to be a good runner.  Even Greg Glassmen will admit that. He made the statement that he can take any elite athlete and by having them do CF he will see there weaknesses.  Then if one worked on the weaknesses they would become a better runner.  At no time does he make the claim that an elite level runner can stop running, only do CF and they will be a better runner.  I think a lot of people confuse his comments about CFers being the fittest people on earth with CFers are the best at all sports on earth.  There is a difference.  Gerg is just so argent that he does not think anything but general fitness is worth training for.   

People in Triathlon get hung up on this because triathlete consider themselves very fit people.  I hate to burst the triathlon bubble but Crissy Wellington and Creg Alexander are not the fittest people in the world they are just the best IM triathletes and arguably some of the best endurance athletes in the world.  IM is a specific sport not a test of fitness.  

Having been both a traditional S/B/R tri trainer and now a CFer, CF is a better way to become Generally Physically Prepared then S/B/R.  S/B/R is a good way to be a good triathlete.  They are different things.  Everyone has to make up their own mind on what they want out of their fitness goals.  

Yes - I have no doubt that these elite athletes have/had strength and conditioning components as part of their training. But I would wager that their conditioning programs were a) specific to THEM (i.e., focused on addressing any specific areas of weakness) and b) specific to their sport. I doubt that their coaches were throwing random WODs at them that had no bearing on their sport-specific performance or to address specific areas of muscle imbalance, functional movement, etc.

2012-02-08 6:10 AM
in reply to: #4032409

Veteran
jackson61802 - 2012-02-06 3:18 PMWhat I want to know is if triathletes, runners, cyclists etc go on CF forums and tell all those posters how awesome their sport specific training is. Yeah....I doubt it. That's one of the big problems I have with crossfit.....they just can't wait to tell everybody else how awesome their training program is.Here's the deal: I don't care.
I'm not a cool aid drinker when it comes to Crossfit but in fairness I have to say that the folks at the gym I go to have been extreemly supportive about my sbr training.This of course proves nothing. Just my experience. I think that the real reason that I care enough to post on a thread like this is that I have found it so helpful in my personal training. And I would hate for someone to miss out on that. Not that most of y'all need my help getting faster to begin with...To me, cf is a good way to get prepared for a wide variety of challenges. But it isn't a great way to get prepared for any particular one.

Edited by jimmy3993 2012-02-08 6:20 AM
2012-02-08 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4035261

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
jsnowash - 2012-02-08 6:34 AM
moose441 - 2012-02-08 5:26 AM

Or Michael Phelps.

Kobe.

Please.

Yes - I have no doubt that these elite athletes have/had strength and conditioning components as part of their training. But I would wager that their conditioning programs were a) specific to THEM (i.e., focused on addressing any specific areas of weakness) and b) specific to their sport. I doubt that their coaches were throwing random WODs at them that had no bearing on their sport-specific performance or to address specific areas of muscle imbalance, functional movement, etc.
Well said, Jenny. This is the thing that so many people who extol the virtues of CF and general strength training for triathletes just don't understand. The purpose of strength training for triathletes shouldn't be additional work for the muscles used for s/b/r. A good triathlete strength training program is designed to address imbalances, develop tendon and joint strength, develop stabilizing muscles, and maintain healthy range of motion, with the primary goal of injury prevention. ST or CF for a direct improvement of performance doesn't work, because the principle of specificity cannot be sidestepped.

Edited by TriMyBest 2012-02-08 6:38 AM
2012-02-08 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4035096

New user
Columbia
rsmoylan - 2012-02-07 10:58 PM 

other that n=1.  

Isn't n=1 all that matters?  You do you, I'll do me.

2012-02-08 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4035015

Master
ann arbor, michigan
bryancd - 2012-02-07 10:00 PM

rsmoylan - 2012-02-07 7:53 PM

Compared to what some people in this thread understand about triathlon training, I AM Yoda.

I just laughed out loud sitting at my computer. Haven't done that in awhile.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Crossfit Training Result/Experience Rss Feed  

of 5