United States
UCLA Triathlon Team
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 3s
Overall Rank = 31/86
Age Group = Men 40-49
Age Group Rank = 6/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up on my own just before 4. Nutella on toast and Gatorade: breakfast of champions!
Event warmup:

BEAUTIFUL weather. Perfect for a March triathlon...or any month, frankly. Hopped in the warm-up pool and swam 150 yards. Felt good.
Swim
  • 07m 43s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Trained for five weeks swimming three times a week, with workouts topping out at 2,000 yards. Doesn't sound like much but in that short period of time I brought my swim fitness up as high as it's ever been in the past three years of tri training. Tried to hold a steady pace, up it at the 300 mark, then really up it that last lap. My swim ended up being only slightly faster than last year but I guess that's not bad, considering I ended up 4th in my age group.
What would you do differently?:

Train in the pool for more than five weeks.
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Fast as usual. I brought my bike in the trunk of my car this year, which meant taking the wheels off. As I ran out of T1 I kept hearing a clanking noise. I figured out it was the chain, which was not on the chainring. I stopped for a couple of seconds until I figured out what I needed to do, then kept running. That happened after I went over the T1 timing mat so it's not reflected in my time, but it is something I need to check on in the future.

After assembling my bike out of the trunk, crank it to make sure the gears are okay.
Bike
  • 49m 28s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 16.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough. I really pushed myself this year. Took me the whole first lap to catch my breath after the swim. After that I was breathing heavy just because of the bike. Much stronger on all the hills this year. I was passing all kinds of people--college students, even. Of course I was getting passed by people, too. Even though there were fewer people this year, it seems like I had to negotiate more traffic this time. I was nailing the corners, too. There's this series of two corners about halfway, a fast right turn followed by a faster left turn about 40 yards later. I found myself sprinting past people after the right turn so I could be past them going into that left. I had a blast!

My time was only slightly faster than last year, which is kind of disappointing. Oh well.

While I did pretty good on the turns (I don't think anybody passed me in one, though I did plenty of passing because of corners), I still don't have the confidence to do corners as fast as I could. Just have to keep working on that.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I like to have my T2 spot on the right along the aisle. To do that I had to go quite a ways down the aisle. Add to this I need to carry my bike through T2 to keep my shoes from popping off (size 48 (US 13/14), 175 cranks), as I was kinda tired by the time I got to my spot. Got in the shoes okay. Took a quick drink from my bottle just to wet my whistle. Grabbed my visor (I sweat a lot) and race belt and I was off.

Got a spot closer to the bike in even if it meant not having an aisle spot. Running a long ways with a bike on your shoulder is tiring.
Run
  • 28m 22s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 40s  min/km
Comments:

I was so tired when I started. My legs didn't feel horrible when I started but it took my a little bit before I hit my stride. I have been doing hill work for this race so instead of taking hills slowly, like I usually do, I tried to maintain my speed. This kept me on the edge of nausea most of the run. That's a good thing, right? At the top of a hill I would coast a bit, catch my breath, then go back to running hard. Three 55-year-olds BLEW past me. I did pass a couple of people, though. The last mile is flat or downhill so once I caught my breath after the last hill I let loose. I was SO tired by the end.

My time, though, sucked. The run killed me this year. Slower than last year, too, which is surprising because I felt stronger up the hills. Sigh.

I was doing some speed work in training but for only about a month. I need to include speed work in my run training throughout the year. I really need to figure out how to get faster on the run.

Now that I think about it, I should have taken the Garmin with me for the run. Clearly, I do not know how to pace myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, grabbed a couple of free Muscle Milks, walked around some more, drank water, walked, ate oranges, walked, at bits of bagels, walked, drank water, finally sat down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm 49 and weigh 220#. The weight is coming off again because I have recently made weight loss a priority. Can't do anything about my age. :-)

Seriously, though, my run seems to have gotten worse. I don't know if that's because I was doing a bunch of marathon training until six weeks ago. I'm thinking I need to focus on speed work. Losing weight would help, of course. This year's run was very discouraging.

Event comments:

I love, love, love this race. The bike course is the best. I wish the UCLA Tri Team was better organized about marketing the race, though. This was the smallest turnout I've seen (it's my fourth). While I like the race being smaller, I just don't want to see the race go away because of it.

Last updated: 2012-02-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:43 | 400 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 21/86
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto Tri Suit
Course: Eight laps snaking through a 50 meter pool. Time trial start with athletes jumping (NOT diving) in the pool at 10 second intervals.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:28 | 13.5 miles | 16.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 30/86
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Steep downhill, turn, more downhill, curve, straight but slight uphill, steep turn right, uphill, steeper uphill, flat then turn right, pedal hard, slight up, pedal hard again, turn right at speed, turn left at speed, pedal hard at the slight downhill in curves, another downhill and a fast right turn, going slight uphill then left turn, downhill under a bridge, now the big hill starts, downshift and climb that hill, upshift one, upshift another, then another, top of the hill so get in the big chainring and get ready for that big downhill. Repeat three more times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:22 | 05 kms | 05m 40s  min/km
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 54/86
Performance: Bad
Course: Run through the sidewalks of the rolling UCLA campus. Not a closed course by any stretch of the imagination, which makes it kinda fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-05 12:05 AM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.
Subject: IronBruin Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IronBruin Triathlon Rss Feed