General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear Mounted Hydration & Saddlebag Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-17 5:40 PM

New user

Subject: Rear Mounted Hydration & Saddlebag
I currently have a Pedro's small saddlebag behind my saddle and I'd like to purchase one of those rear-mounted hydration systems. Nothing fancy, I'd just like to put two cages behind my saddle. Has anyone else done this already (put cages behind their saddle and have a small saddlebag back there as well)? If so...which system should I purchase? I like the profile design two kage rack but it doesn't look like it could fit with the saddlebag. I'd buy an xlab flatwing if I have to...Any suggestions?

2006-05-19 12:01 PM
in reply to: #426829

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: RE: Rear Mounted Hydration & Saddlebag

Well, I've been quietly sitting in the wings here, waiting to see if you'd get any response to this question. I've been wondering about this myself, and thinking that I should get this fixed before the summer really hits us and I start going for some longer rides.

I've got an '06 Felt S32 and it has one -- count 'em, one -- bottle cage on the seat tube. I don't think it's possible to put braze-on bolts on the down tube 'cuz it's aero and there aren't bolts there to begin with. So I either need to buy the aero drink thingamabobber and/or install additional cages behind the seat.

But I've got my wedge pack attached to the seat rails and I'm not all that certain I could install anything else on to the rails . . .

The Profile Design Aquarack attaches directly to the seat post, so I think that I could have it on the post and my wedge pack on the rails without them getting in the way of each other.

The Tacx Saddle clamp does seem to attach to the rails, but it is very high and should stay out of the way of a wedge pack. Plus, it seems to be cheaper than other solutions:

The Velocity SPT I've decided against, just because it seems so pricey. Ditto for the Flatwing and SaddleWing; pricey and got a lot of stuff on it.

The Minoura seat cage is plenty cheap, but I'm fairly certain that mounting it would get in the way of a wedge pack:

I haven't entirely decided what I'm going to do myself; I'd love to hear from satisfied and dissatisfied customers, including yourself, PTG.
2006-05-19 12:08 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
2006-05-19 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I have the Minoura cage holder (shown above) on my bike. There should be all sorts of room in there to fit a bag, but I have yet to find a bag that fits! Most of them are too long. It doesn't help that my saddle is mounted as far forward on the rails as it can go, leaving even less room to work with.

I've been considering cutting up a tall water bottle and stuffing all of my gear inside, and then mounting that to the single bottle cage on my frame. I don't often need 3 water bottles on a ride.

2006-05-19 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, KS
I have the tacx single cage holder, and it works great for the aero position, but if you tend to ride further back in your seat, be prepared for a rectal exam via water bottle.

I only need 2 water bottles on my bike and b/c my bike Felt S32 only has one cage mount on the frame, i went with the tacx. If I need more hydraton, i always have my aerodrink.
2006-05-19 5:17 PM

I have a 06 Felt 32 and I run a small saddle bag and the profile dual cage shown in the picture and it works great.

2006-05-19 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,
I have the Minoura dual mount on my road bike and I also have the XLAB Flatwing on my TT bike. I can fit my small saddle bag on both and they are out of the way. You have to take the bag off of the bike to use it but all I carry in there is my ID, Debit Card and a multi tool.
2006-05-20 11:11 AM
in reply to: #428684

User image

Master
La Crosse
toby 71 - 2006-05-19 6:17 PM

I have a 06 Felt 32 and I run a small saddle bag and the profile dual cage shown in the picture and it works great.

That's what I think my eventual choice will be. I like the fact that you can put the profile design aqua rack way far down on the seat post, which will put the bottles much lower than some of the other solutions.

I was going to buy it the other day when I was in the LBS, but the shop guys were me off and I didn't want to give them any more money. I'll buy it from trisports.com when payday rolls around.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear Mounted Hydration & Saddlebag Rss Feed