of 3

2012-05-18 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4217141

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Another look at "Body Type"

JohnP_NY - 2012-05-18 2:27 PM

I was trying to say I can be ok, if I train really really hard and have a good day, but elite? Do I have a gift, no, and does that gift separate us?

My issue with your whole post is that you likely have NO IDEA if you have a gift or not until you attempt to use it.  And attempting to use it in endurance sports requires a LONG time horizon and a substantial commitment to work.  You have set your mind that your 'body type' will not allow you to compete with some others (you added the 'elite' part later, which of course narrows the probability that you--or anyone else--could ever get there).  Your ability and willingness to train (both in the future AND in the past) is a much bigger barrier to getting to your friend's 38:00 10k than your genes.  If your friend was running a 30:00 10k, then genes become a MUCH bigger factor.

Said my peace.  Enjoy your weekend.

2012-05-18 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4217307

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
JohnnyKay - 2012-05-18 4:04 PM

JohnP_NY - 2012-05-18 2:27 PM

I was trying to say I can be ok, if I train really really hard and have a good day, but elite? Do I have a gift, no, and does that gift separate us?

My issue with your whole post is that you likely have NO IDEA if you have a gift or not until you attempt to use it.  And attempting to use it in endurance sports requires a LONG time horizon and a substantial commitment to work.  You have set your mind that your 'body type' will not allow you to compete with some others (you added the 'elite' part later, which of course narrows the probability that you--or anyone else--could ever get there).  Your ability and willingness to train (both in the future AND in the past) is a much bigger barrier to getting to your friend's 38:00 10k than your genes.  If your friend was running a 30:00 10k, then genes become a MUCH bigger factor.

Said my peace.  Enjoy your weekend.

I agree w/JohnnyKay.

IMO, most people can be lumped into 1 of these 4 scenarios:

Good Genes + Hard Work = Elite Performance.

Good Genes + Limited Work = Good Performance.

Bad Genes + Hard Work = Good Performance.

Bad Genes + Limited Work = Bad Performance.

2013-03-18 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4216036

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC

This thread was from last May and I'm going to update it because it was one of the more enlightening, motivating things I've read on BT (oh, and because this will give me an opportunity to brag).

Before I this thread, I sincerely thought that my run could not get much faster based on my age (43) and my body type (not real heavy but would never be mistaken for an endurance athlete).  But reading about the experience of other folks on the thread really made me challenge that assumption.  I got a coach and lost another 10 pounds.  Since then, I took 3rd AG in a regional 70.3 last fall (my run was not a weakness), PRed a sprint tri run at a 6:40 pace, and yesterday PRed a HM at a 7:10 pace.

I finished the race yesterday and wondered if I could ever get faster.  I suppose I should stop asking myself that question.

2013-03-18 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4664224

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
smoom - 2013-03-18 11:04 AM

This thread was from last May and I'm going to update it because it was one of the more enlightening, motivating things I've read on BT (oh, and because this will give me an opportunity to brag).

Before I this thread, I sincerely thought that my run could not get much faster based on my age (43) and my body type (not real heavy but would never be mistaken for an endurance athlete).  But reading about the experience of other folks on the thread really made me challenge that assumption.  I got a coach and lost another 10 pounds.  Since then, I took 3rd AG in a regional 70.3 last fall (my run was not a weakness), PRed a sprint tri run at a 6:40 pace, and yesterday PRed a HM at a 7:10 pace.

I finished the race yesterday and wondered if I could ever get faster.  I suppose I should stop asking myself that question.

Awesome reason to resurrect this thread.  Congrats on your achievement!

2013-03-18 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4213304

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

JohnP_NY - 2012-05-16 2:44 PM Who wins? sub 30 or even sub 29? The guys from Kenya and Ethiopia. Pretty much always. Are they just stronger willed than us lazy Americans? I'll tell you, body types all look strinkingly similar. Next time I do that race i'll, ask one of them if they were ever a pudgy fat kid, or if they ever considered a pro career in wrestling or rugby

Nature vs. Nurture.  Have you taken a look at the upper class kids of Kenya and Ethiopia?  Most are chubbers.  I bet they won't be winning any distance races.  Do they have different DNA than their skinny fast cousins or do they just have more access to crappy food and sedentary lifestyles.....? 

Just on personal observation (which is what is being thrown around here) the big people I know came from families who ate big.  My immediate clan are all thin and fit.  When we were kids we never had junk food in the house.  If you were hungry between meals you were told to eat an apple or drink a glass of water.  Most of my cousins on both side are overweight to obese.  They had access to a lot more crappy food as kids and continue to eat the same way.  Same genes, different upbringing.

2013-03-19 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4213058

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Kido - 2012-05-16 12:15 PM

Reading this makes me want to ask a question...  And I hope I can organize it to make sense...

It SEEMS that people are saying they don't have the DNA to be an endurance athlete...  But what makes an endurance athlete?  Does being an endurance athlete mean you have to win your AG?

All I'm saying, is I "think" I'm an endurance athlete.  Does my body suggest that?  Probably not.  At 6'7", 230lbs, I don't look like your typical AG winning triathlete...  BUT, I have done 3 Ironman races, a couple marathons, etc.  I think that just doing them, makes me an endurance athlete, no?  How many people with the "typical" looking body type boast that?

I would hate to think I have to win my AG to be considered to have the right DNA - or something along those lines.

I was about to ask... what IS an endurance athlete? To me, it is someone who can go out and run/bike/swim long distances... can go forever.

I know I am an endurance athlete. If I run slowly, I can go out and run a half marathon on very little training. Back in 2005 I couldn't do that. In 2013, I can. Do I LOOK like an endurance athlete? Probably not. I think I'm just a normal looking gal of average weight and height.

Coaching people I have watched them go from being athletic to being an endurance athlete. I see it through their performance and HR data files. I SEE the change. One of my gals, 2 years ago was just trying to finish a HIM. Now days, she can run for miles and her HR and pace stay the same (no cardiac drift). She is an endurance athlete. I see the endurance.

Winning doesn't = an endurance athlete in my book.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another look at "Body Type" Rss Feed  

of 3