REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 34m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 12/22
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at a hotel about 15 minutes away, so Z and I awoke at 4, I ate a pancake with my Timberman syrup, some Reliv, and a banana, along with coffee. Took a shower to loosen up, put the race number tattoos on, and headed for the site at 4:50.
Event warmup:

Not much warmup. Z and I had a long walk to the ocean from transition, then we saw my mom and Lynn! Couldn’t believe they made it for the start.
Swim
  • 38m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started ok, but at about the Oly buoy (.2 miles) yards I got a little nervous after getting hit a few times and swallowing a bunch of water. I think I overreacted to the salt water because neither the contact nor the swallowing were bad at all. After regaining my composure and thinking about all the recent water tragedies, I decided to take it REALLY easy for a while and completely recover. I went to a hybrid side stroke/crawl to keep my breathing completely relaxed and decided to keep that stroke until I hit the half turn buoy (.35 miles). At the buoy I knew it was the right choice, if not the fastest one, since I felt totally relaxed again and settled in to a solid stroke. The rest of the swim was largely uneventful, just the typical bumping and contact along the way. Passed a lot of people on the 1.5 mile part perpendicular to the beach, but I assume that was because a lot of people passed me while I was basically floating. After the turn into short I wasn’t sure were to sight, but then I saw the Ferris wheel and used that the rest of the way. Swim was fine, and I came out totally relaxed and not at all winded or tired.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. I did close to zero training for this swim. Probably not the brightest idea for a half, but I feel like I'm a pretty strong natural swimmer. This result makes me want to be sure to spend some additional time this winter swimming and hitting it at the lake next summer. I love swimming, but for some reason I found excuses not to swim this summer when we were at the lake.
Transition 1
  • 05m 49s
Comments:

LONG way from ocean to transition. We ran up the beach, up the main boulevard, along the road parallel to the RR tracks, then to the far end of transition. My Garmin had the T1 distance at .47 miles. I did struggle getting the wetsuit off once I got into transition.

Convince Rev3 to get wetsuit strippers! Nah, I just need to run harder to transition and get the suit off cleanly.
Bike
  • 2h 36m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

After Timberman, I knew I’d have to work really hard to keep this bike under control. It’s very corny, but my mantra song was Billy Don’t be a Hero. Just bike steady and fairly hard with the goal to never feel like I was racing and never get winded. With the compact crank and without the steep hills of Timberman, I knew that I could spin up pretty much all the hills without pressing my legs, and that was my focus for the first half since most of the hills were in the first half.
The first 30 miles were absolutely awesome. I was staying in the plan and but felt like I was flying. And then the fun began. I had put on a new saddle for this race (I know, nothing new on race day) but my privates were numb from Timberman. I did a few short rides to check the height and such, and it seemed great. However, at 30 miles the saddle came loose and was hinging back and forth freely. I stopped got off to see if I could fix it, but I didn’t have the wrench I needed to undo the seatpost to get at the adjustment screws. Lesson learned. I decided I could do 26 miles balancing as best I could and restarted. Everything was ok until about 48 miles. That’s when I stood up to absorb some road bumps, and the seat fell completely off the bike. I stopped and found the pieces of the post, decided there was no way to put it back on reliably, and velcroed the seat to my bike bag. I knew from the course layout that the end was mostly flat and downhill, so I decided I could do the last 8 standing on the peddles. It was actually fine other than a few times I “forgot” and almost sat back on the post. At the end, I panicked for a second because I realized my newfound skill of taking my feet out of the shoes while biking and then running through transition in barefeet wasn’t going to be possible, but I figured I could just unclip the “high” shoe and step on the ground normally. Overall, I never felt out of control nor did I press too hard. My legs were actually about as fresh as could be expected following 56 miles, though I knew the last 20 minutes had put more strain on them than I wanted to do.

Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I got off the bike fine, but couldn't find my spot for some reason. Stupid, since were numbered and I'd been there about 67 times by then. Eventually I racked the bike, took the seat of and put it on the towel for some reason, added socks, put on the shoes and bug spray, and was off.

I'm not sure why I un-velcroed the seat and didn't just leave it on the bike bag. I also need to get my shoes/socks on faster if I'm gonna wear socks for this distance. But overall, I'm ok with this time given the length of transition. It was long and thin.
Run
  • 2h 08m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started great, and I decided not to check the pace very often but to really run by feel. The first few miles were on the road and had some rolling hills, but nothing too severe. I ran the uphills very slowly, keeping effort constant and not worrying about pace. At 2.5 miles we turned on the trail, and I was still feeling really good. Essentially it was a straight flat shot from there to the turn around. I checked my watch at the turnaround and saw just barely under and hour, so I felt like I was right on target. At that point, breathing was good, legs felt great, no pains anywhere. So far so good. At the aid stations I was taking water and sometimes Gatorade, and I had taken two salt tablets and a sip of coke. I walked while I drank since other I spill all over everything. At mile 9.5 I stopped at the port o potty since I couldn’t hold it anymore – I took it as a good sign that I was drinking enough since it was pretty clear. Shortly thereafter the run fell apart. My right calf started tightening and then quickly cramped very tight. I couldn’t flex it and couldn’t run, so I walked to the next aid station and asked for a quick massage. One of the volunteers worked out the cramp and I was off. I then proceeded to jog and walk my way through the last 5k, unable to keep a constant pace or keep the cramping totally at bay. Very disappointing section for me, but I just hammered through it and decided to think about it and analyze it later, not now. At the finishing chute next to transition, Zack joined me and we ran the last 400 yards together. It was a thrill to cross the finish line with him.

Run more leading up to the event. I'm not sure if this result was caused by going too hard on the bike, the seat issues, or lack or running the last month, or what. I don't think I went too hard on the bike, but they say there is no such thing as a good bike followed by a crappy run.

I think lack of running is really limiting me.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough swim or run training. I really focused on the bike for Timberman this summer.

Event comments:

Great race, post race food not good unless you signed up for the Lobster.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:30 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/22
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full xterra
Course: Rectangular course, .35 out, 1.5 across, .35 back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:36:35 | 56 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/22
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Overall pretty flat, 2218 per ridewithgps. Generally up for the first half and down the second, nothing very steep. Only need to get out of the 50 a few times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:08:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/22
Performance: Below average
Course: Pretty flat, with some very minor hills and the start and finish. At about 2.5 miles we headed out on a great packed gravel trail. Lots of the trail had shade, but there were some open stretches.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-30 3:36 PM

User image

NH
Subject: Rev3 Maine - Half Rev

2012-08-30 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4388709

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Subject: RE: Rev3 Maine - Half Rev
Great race, Warren.  Congratulations!
2012-08-30 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Warren I think you did a great job in the race. I am simply amazed by the fact that you were able to ride the bike standing on the pedals for 8 miles! And then to go out and run no less and complete this race in the time you did is amazing to me. No surprise the run got tough at the end probably due more to the seat issue then anything else but you did a great job, hung in there and toughed it out. Just a great effort and that bike ride was totally bada$$ in my opinion. 
2012-08-30 11:18 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Wow what an adventure! Don't know what I'd do if my seat post broke off. Great job!
2012-08-31 6:01 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
You are a stud...riding a bike w/o a seat...YOU are TOUGH!!!!  GREAT job.  Hey he run may have been tough but you did it!!!  Also the swim, shoot I'll take your time...ANYTIME!!!!!
2012-08-31 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Great race Warren - it's truly notable that your average speed on the bike was over 20mph even WITH all the seat problems...you rock!

I think with a little focus on swim and a bit more running - you'll be able to match your relay team results at Timberman. Fantastic effort all around.

Glad to hear the race was well done - thinking about it for next year. Rumor has it Rev3 might turn it into a full distance. Are you thinking full for 2013?

2012-08-31 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Looking at your race, it seems you completed everything almost as planned. 

Your thoughts of recent deaths during the swim were similar thoughts I had the day before and on race day.  I have developed a plan now to avoid these types of situations and it sounds as if you did the same thing at this race.  I believe we owe it our families to make these decisions before we feel like we're in that situation, inform them of the plan and then enforce our plan if something goes amiss during the race.  You avoided a potential situation that could have been dangerous.  Very good decision!  And, after you slowed down you still have a swim time that was probably still in the upper 50% or better, than many of the other swim times listed.

Your bike is amazing!  I have had my seat come loose on training rides before but I had a wrench and was able to make the adjustments required.  On race day I am not thinking of something like that happening, but I did think about check my cleats before my race.  Anyway, to have had your seat come loose and then fall off would have seemed almost race ending, yet you stayed on, adapted a new plan and, AGAIN, had a solid result in time on the bike.

I like the way you were able to head out on the run.  It sounds like you are able to control everything much better than I because I am always running out of T2 like it's on fire.  I feel I have to check my watch to stay under control and you have a better sense of where you are and what you need to do.  Very nice!  It's too bad the run fell apart for those last few miles.  After looking at your splits you were doing nicely and would have posted a really solid run.

I have to think riding on the pedals was a contributor to the cramps.  It doesn't sound like it could have been dehydration.  Maybe you could have taken the salt tabs a little sooner than that aid station on the run.

Regardless of all the problems you had, this was a very nice race!  Congrats!!!

2012-08-31 8:14 AM

User image

NH

Thanks all.  I thought of the junkies for sure on the bike, and didn't want to face Dirk knowing I had given up for something as silly as a missing seat!

If Rev3 does a full next year, I'll would have to seriously consider it, though my current thinking is 2014 at the earliest if I decide to ever do a full.  The training time required would be tough depending on the rest of my life plan, and I think more years of running could only help.

2012-09-05 2:15 PM

User image

Pro

Oh no! Sorry about your bike!!

Great race, though

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Maine - Half Rev Rss Feed