General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any tips on how to learn to push yourself? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-11-16 7:45 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Any tips on how to learn to push yourself?
So I don't really have a handle on how far to push myself.  For me it's mostly a fear that I won't have enough to make it to the end of the workout so I hold myself back.  Any tips on getting over this?  How do you know how hard you can push in training without pushing too much?

2012-11-16 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4501488

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Any tips on how to learn to push yourself?
This is an area where I think a coach can really help you. I used to box, and there are so many times when all you want to do is stop, drop your arms and lean agains the ropes, but it's hard to do that when there's someone yelling at you. A coach can help you find that place where you're outside your comfort zone but can reel you in before you hurt yourself.

It doesn't have to be a coach you pay for. Even a more experienced training partner can help you push past the point where you want to stop and help you find that little extra reservoir of HTFU.
2012-11-16 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
What about workouts you have to do yourself, i.e. long bikes or runs?  And a coach can yell all you want but you can still hold back.  I'm mostly referring to self-regulation of effort.
2012-11-16 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
When your body is aching and you feel like you can't push anymore; push.

2012-11-16 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Great question.

I read it a bit more as, "how hard can I go without blowing up," rather than how one can learn to dwell longer or deeper in the pain cave (so, how to approach a maximum suffer, not push the max higher)

I think it can sometimes be quite useful to blow up during a workout.  By that, I mean push harder than you think you can go, but know that you might blow up.  If you don't let yourself ever GET to the point where you bonk/blow up, etc., then you will never know where that point is.

I've found it in some workouts.  Sadly also in some races!  I prefer to know about where it is (the limit) and try to JUST exceed it in a race (and keep pushing up the max - but that's a different set of activities, I think).  If I'm not ready to fall over and/or puke at the end of a race, I've done it wrong...

So, get out there and TRY to blow yourself up once or twice!  Laughing

Works for me.

Hope that helps.  YMMV

2012-11-16 8:30 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Are you talking about pushing Far or Fast?

For fast or hard effort, I would start by pushing in some shorter running races and begin to learn what it feels like to "race" at the edge.  Enter a local 5k and start out just faster than your PR pace and see how long you can hold on.  Apply this feeling to bike and swin as RPE training.  It will take time, so be ready for patience.

Also, do LT testing to learn where that edge is. 

2012-11-16 10:43 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

GatorDeb - 2012-11-16 8:45 PM So I don't really have a handle on how far to push myself.  For me it's mostly a fear that I won't have enough to make it to the end of the workout so I hold myself back.  Any tips on getting over this?  How do you know how hard you can push in training without pushing too much?

Like most things - Experience.  

Unfortunately, experience is that thing you get right after you needed it Wink

The best way to learn your limits is to try to exceed them every so often.  Don't be afraid of going too hard and not being able to finish a workout. If you can't finish... ok, bummer, but you just learned something about yourself. 

2012-11-16 10:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I've been at it so long this is hard to quanitfy. I remember swimming races at a suicide pace to teach my body I could take races out harder.
2012-11-16 10:54 PM

Master
Northern IL

GatorDeb - 2012-11-16 7:45 PM So I don't really have a handle on how far to push myself.  For me it's mostly a fear that I won't have enough to make it to the end of the workout so I hold myself back.  Any tips on getting over this?  How do you know how hard you can push in training without pushing too much?

From experience. Try to beat a previous best on some hard workout. Like the 20 min test on the bike, for one example. Try to do better than what you've done before. Don't worry if you have to granny gear it home (if you did this outside). The goal is to learn about yourself. Even if you end up a little short of making it to the end at that effort, you're still going to get a good workout. Stop & rest a few minutes after if you have to. Then take it easy getting back. This part doesn't really matter, so leave it all in the hard effort.

Also, plan no more than easy workouts the next couple days so that you aren't thinking about missing anything there either.

2012-11-17 7:44 AM

User image

Regular
When I'm at the point that I really want to quit or back off on intensity, a mantra seems to work for me.  I will time my mantra with my cadence.  Or focus on form and nothing else.  Or start counting strokes/steps etc.  Or remind myself of my goals and why I got into this sport.  Thinking about the end result helps me.  Or I think about IWBMATTKYT.
2012-11-17 8:04 AM

User image

Elite
When I feel like whimping out on an effort.....I begin to imagine the pain I will feel on the IMLP bike course.  Which will be far greater if I do not push through this workout and reap the gains from it.....so just find what works for you!

2012-11-17 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4501696

User image

Elite

cdivine9 - 2012-11-17 8:44 AM When I'm at the point that I really want to quit or back off on intensity, a mantra seems to work for me.  I will time my mantra with my cadence.  Or focus on form and nothing else.  Or start counting strokes/steps etc.  Or remind myself of my goals and why I got into this sport.  Thinking about the end result helps me.  Or I think about IWBMATTKYT.

Sorry, but can you help me on this lol

2012-11-17 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4501707

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
FELTGood - 2012-11-17 9:05 AM

cdivine9 - 2012-11-17 8:44 AM When I'm at the point that I really want to quit or back off on intensity, a mantra seems to work for me.  I will time my mantra with my cadence.  Or focus on form and nothing else.  Or start counting strokes/steps etc.  Or remind myself of my goals and why I got into this sport.  Thinking about the end result helps me.  Or I think about IWBMATTKYT.

Isn't that from Sufferfest - I will bust my a$$ today to kick yours tomorrow!!  Or something like that.

2012-11-17 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

The others have said it well: you have to go over the ledge to learn where it is. Once you know what the edge feels like, you practice working out at the edge during training. During a race, you straddle the edge and jump off at the end, but make sure you finish before hitting the ground. 

Just get out and go faster and longer than you think you can just to see if you can do it. You'll be surprised at what you can do. Just know that even though you're tired and it hurts doesn't mean that's as far as you can go. 

I like to think "A normal person would turn around and walk now. They are watching TV at home right now. I am running/riding/swimming. I will beat that person in the race." Or something like that...

2012-11-17 9:58 AM

User image

2 things that helped me.

1: at the gym sign up for something you know will be difficult (like running on the treadmill for 45min then walk across the room into the 'phyco-cycle' spin class for 45min.... (my legs wobbled so badly and I almost puked in the parking lot after that, but it felt good!))

2: I asked a friend of mine who runs half marathon to help train with me during my long run days. I couldn't go more then a mile without wimping out.... I just got home from a 4mi run at 12.5min mile pace. Slow and steady, but getting there !

2012-11-17 10:34 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Start before the workout. 

As you're getting ready for your run, ride, or swim, are you thinking "I hope I don't run out of gas." or are you thinking "I'm going to finish this no matter what."  ?

Change your focus to the latter (it's a positive expression) and start to visualize the finish, the last mile and how you've accomplished something amazing (and this is true even if you're finishing a short 3-mile run in the peak weak of a marathon plan).  It doesn't matter if you ran 20 miles 3 days before, you got out the door and ran 3 miles today! 

The other thing that helps is to set some bold goals and then make a plan to accomplish them.  You're doing IMCdA next year (I think I saw that).  Whether you realize it yet or not, you CAN complete the swim in 1:30 or 1:45 if it is important enough to you.  It might mean taking swim lessons and swimming with the Master's group every morning for 6 months with the focus and goal of getting good enough at swimming to achieve that goal (not just showing up and puttering around).  Doing so might cut into your time and energy for biking and running.  Is it the right strategy?  Hard to say...it's your life and your goals...so you have to figure out what is right for you. 

Edited to say, this works in all areas of your life, not just triathlon.  What are your goals for work and retirement?  The key is to be specific and to be positive. 

Edited by McFuzz 2012-11-17 10:36 AM

2012-11-17 11:08 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I've been following the thread, the responses address exactly where I was going with the question, I have nothing to contribute yet, the responses are great, percolating the responses into a reply
2012-11-17 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
Hi Deb. Have you tried to negative split your workouts? I feel the same as you, especially when I'm doing long workouts. Whatever pace I hit for the fittest half, I try to do better the second half. Then my last 1/4 I try to go a but faster, and then my last 5 mins I try to go a bit harder. It probably encourages a more moderate start, but it's the same way I race. I'd prefer to finish strong than walk down the shute and this has helped.
2012-11-17 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe

I think it is different for each discipline.

For cycling, I push myself by turning harder gears and by getting in on group rides. The group will make me ride harder than I normally want to on my own.

For running, I can go to any one of several track work outs run by members of the local running club for speed work and work on negative splits.

I also work to keep mileage up and think about my form when I run. This allows me to push harder and build speed.  Most of my 6 runs are 8ish pace during the week but one run a week is 6:40ish or lower pace for 5 miles to push myself hard.  I just make myself go as fast as I can sustain although uncomfortable--I think the mileage I put in makes this possible.

For swimming I work on short sprints. I suck at swimming so this is not an area I am good at pushing at!  

2012-11-17 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4501592

cgregg - 2012-11-16 11:43 PM

Unfortunately, experience is that thing you get right after you needed it Wink

Can I quote you on this?

2012-11-17 11:21 PM
in reply to: #4502023

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

Buy a good heart rate monitor and learn how to use it.

2012-11-18 12:10 AM
in reply to: #4502230

User image

Deb - you might consider doing a 5k time trial, then plug the results into a training pace calculator. Spend some time learning about what each of those zones is appropriate for and why training in each zone is important. Once you figure out how fast you should be running a 5k in training, vs your target half marathon pace, vs your interval paces (and you'll have wiggle room in these zones) you can start practicing in these zones, and get comfortable in them. One thing you'll learn is pacing, but the most important thing you'll learn is confidence in what you're truly able to do. That above anything else will help you push yourself. Not saying we don't all get nervous and have times where we doubt our abilities. But I think if you haven't already done this, it might help you. And I prefer pace by gps over heart rate. After so many miles, heart rate zones get hard to maintain.
2012-11-18 7:42 AM

The only thing that I have plenty of experience to offer you, at my age (53), is that what you may be better off learning as soon as possible, is HOW OFTEN to push yourself. I've suffered enough injuries in my endurance sports career to realize, NOW.....that all of them were caused by not taking enough time between hard efforts, not recognizing the warning signs, and not taking a balanced approached to training (i.e. rest, recovery, a "real" off-season, letting the body heal from the pounding, etc)....and now I'm paying the price. We all want to test our limits. That's great. But think long and hard about how much you want to push those limits. I used to love bricks....if I missed a weekend where I did not "go to the well" on a brick, then I felt as if I was under-training. That was foolhardy. In retrospect, of course.

If you a want a long career in this sport, the first thing that you have to learn is how to back off. And the time to back off is when you think that you are at your peak, and that with just another 2-3 hard weeks, you can get to the next level. If you are an age-grouper, then, think of the consequences of that decision.

Just be real careful with trying to figure out how hard to push yourself. You may get to find out in ways that you didn't intend to.

I do agree with other comments....havint a coach really helps. Having a coach that is your age, whatever that may be, and that can relate to your body at it's biological age, is also good. A young trainer would either kill me or undertrain me. A guy/gal my age knows where I am probably at, in terms of degeneration/fatigue/mental outlook/old injuries, etc.
2012-11-18 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4501711

User image

Regular
karen26.2 - 2012-11-17 8:16 AM
FELTGood - 2012-11-17 9:05 AM

Isn't that from Sufferfest - I will bust my a$$ today to kick yours tomorrow!!  Or something like that.

Yep, here is a link to it.

http://www.thesufferfest.com/uncategorized/iwbmattkyt/

2012-11-18 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
I've honestly had pretty good results running with a group. Almost all of them are faster than I am and it hurts some to stay with them but its a lot easier to push for me with someone else around. Seems less painful I guess. Granted, I'm still pretty slow but it's improving.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any tips on how to learn to push yourself? Rss Feed  

of 4