BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-03-13 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4543641

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN

A few thoughts on training recently.

1. I'm starting to like this long run thing. Good time to relax and I'm getting used to the time and distance. I didn't used to like long runs (10+ miles), but am starting to enjoy them.

2. I'm really bad at getting up in time for morning workouts. I need to figure out a way to fix this. I'm sure that my run volume and being busy with work and Master's classes aren't helping, but I'd love to be able to get 2 workouts a day in.

3. I miss swimming 4x weekly. I'll be back at it after the marathon. I used to make swimming my priority workouts, but have switched that to running. I like running, but need the work on swimming. 

4. Speaking of swimming, I need to practice swimming in a straight line. I've started trying to do laps with my eyes closed (simulating murky open water swimming). It's hard. 

5. I want to go mountain biking. Badly.

6. I want to ride my new cx bike outside. Badly.

7. I've been experimenting with eating little to no meat to see if it has any result on training. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel physically better and have an easier time getting quality workouts on days when I have not eaten meat. I may try to incorporate more of this into my life. Gotta love Greek yogurt with peanut butter for protein. Hummus has also become a good friend.

8. Time to plan a marathon race strategy and set a goal finish time. I have a nutrition program that is working pretty well for me so far, so I think I'll stick with that. I am starting to feel pretty well prepared for the race and am more confident in my ability to run it than I was before. But I think I'll need help picking an achievable finish time. My long runs on the weekends are run at a 7:30-7:55 pace. That's what feels comfortable to me. I don't end my runs dead tired (I actually feel pretty good). My weekday runs are run around 7:15-7:40/mile pace. I'm going to think about a good marathon time to aim for. Suggestions? 

2013-03-13 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4658874

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
The Chupacabra - 2013-03-13 7:36 PM
Meulen - 2013-03-13 1:42 PM

2 things to share....

Workouts have been tough the last couple weeks.  My sinus and allergy problems have really flared up.  I've skipped some workouts and stayed out of the pool a lot.    Felling like a slacker lately!

I'm now having second thoughts on my road bike purchase.  Wow have the price of bikes went up.  It seems the higher end bikes are no longer around $6k, but now around 8-12K!!! Sealed  I was kinda hoping to get an upper middle of the road type bike for around $4k.  Seems like those bikes are now $5-6k!!   I'm not sure what to get now.  Especially when the road bike is really a backup.  TT bike is my primary!  I'm wondering if the money is better spent in training equipment for the basement or upgrades to my TT bike.

Hate that winter cold. I had one that thankfully went away quickly and never got to bad. Definitely took a chunk out of my training. Hope it passes quickly and you get back to those hardcore workouts! That's a chunk of cash too for the road bikes. I don't know that much about road bikes, but is a $4k bike REALLY $2000 "better" than a $2000 bike? I'd guess that the differences get more technical or obvious as price goes up, but I don't really know. Sorry I can't offer advice on road bikes...good luck with your decision and whatever you choose!

Agree ^^^ ! 

I just bougth the MTB and was SURPRISED how much a new bike is now!  An "entry" level carbon bike for almost 3k!  If I wanted the fully upgraded XTR rig like my old one it was like $10k!  Insane, but I guess if people keep paying for it then the market is there... 

We can talk more about it this weekend, but for the sake of everyone reading here's my 2 cents.  If it's a backup bike, then not worth it.  A new bike is always nice, but for 5k I'm sure you can upgrade your TT bike with new components if their needed, or get the stuff to train indoors.  

2013-03-13 7:57 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Tony's probably going to have a good pacing strategy for you!

But I can tell you what I did recenlty for half marathon. I incorporated the Yasso strategy into my workouts.
http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/yasso-800s
I put these in my training as speed work once a week. It was a good way to both plan a pacing strategy in a race and detail interval pacing for speed workouts during your training.
2013-03-13 8:19 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Tony

That reminds me, we'll talk more about this, one area my TT bike could use an upgrade is the aero bars. I have the aluminum vision trimax. I could upgrade to a carbon base bar and something more adjustable like 3t brezza II team. But we'll wait to see how the fit goes. I did order the new slab delta 300 wing they just came out for tucking a single bottle up tight behind the seat, and a spare integrated frame water bottle. I'm going to do the tool box mod on it to store my tube and flat kit in since I never use it for water. That should help the aerodynamics of it all some. I've also got the tri rig aero front brake, a switch to s bend extensions, and return to center shifters on my list of things to save up for on my TT race rig. I don't think it could get much more aero than that save for a new P5! Lol????
2013-03-13 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4658885

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
The Chupacabra - 2013-03-13 7:48 PM

A few thoughts on training recently.

1. I'm starting to like this long run thing. Good time to relax and I'm getting used to the time and distance. I didn't used to like long runs (10+ miles), but am starting to enjoy them.  Welcome to the "club"! 

2. I'm really bad at getting up in time for morning workouts. I need to figure out a way to fix this. I'm sure that my run volume and being busy with work and Master's classes aren't helping, but I'd love to be able to get 2 workouts a day in.  Get a dawn simulator, seems to help people wake up when its dark. 

3. I miss swimming 4x weekly. I'll be back at it after the marathon. I used to make swimming my priority workouts, but have switched that to running. I like running, but need the work on swimming. Swimmings overrated.  But really, seems like your running is going better because of your decreased swimming.  So something has to give.  When it comes to time management, it always seems that you get more bang for your buck running & biking. 

4. Speaking of swimming, I need to practice swimming in a straight line. I've started trying to do laps with my eyes closed (simulating murky open water swimming). It's hard.  Stop doing that unless you want to run into a wall.   

Really, practice sighting instead of swimming with your eyes closed.  

5. I want to go mountain biking. Badly.  ME TOO.  New toy for a week now is still new... 

6. I want to ride my new cx bike outside. Badly.  You can still ride CX now!

7. I've been experimenting with eating little to no meat to see if it has any result on training. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel physically better and have an easier time getting quality workouts on days when I have not eaten meat. I may try to incorporate more of this into my life. Gotta love Greek yogurt with peanut butter for protein. Hummus has also become a good friend.

Careful with lack of meat.  It actually does make you feel better - lose weight, more energy, etc. etc. - which is why people jump on that wagon.  But its short term effects only.  Long term, I've seen people (myself included back in the day) get fairly sick including low testosterone, low vitamin D levels, both leading to people being depressed and lack of energy.  Not exactly performance enhancing! (or good for your healthy overall...)

8. Time to plan a marathon race strategy and set a goal finish time. I have a nutrition program that is working pretty well for me so far, so I think I'll stick with that. I am starting to feel pretty well prepared for the race and am more confident in my ability to run it than I was before. But I think I'll need help picking an achievable finish time. My long runs on the weekends are run at a 7:30-7:55 pace. That's what feels comfortable to me. I don't end my runs dead tired (I actually feel pretty good). My weekday runs are run around 7:15-7:40/mile pace. I'm going to think about a good marathon time to aim for. Suggestions?  Your race pace will typically be faster then your training pace.  I would say start off at the 7:45-7:55 pace until 13.1, then start picking it up if you feel better for the 2nd half.  The last 6 miles is where you really make or break your goal time! 

Added some thoughts! 

2013-03-13 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4658922

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Meulen - 2013-03-13 8:19 PM Tony

That reminds me, we'll talk more about this, one area my TT bike could use an upgrade is the aero bars. I have the aluminum vision trimax. I could upgrade to a carbon base bar and something more adjustable like 3t brezza II team. But we'll wait to see how the fit goes. I did order the new slab delta 300 wing they just came out for tucking a single bottle up tight behind the seat, and a spare integrated frame water bottle. I'm going to do the tool box mod on it to store my tube and flat kit in since I never use it for water. That should help the aerodynamics of it all some. I've also got the tri rig aero front brake, a switch to s bend extensions, and return to center shifters on my list of things to save up for on my TT race rig. I don't think it could get much more aero than that save for a new P5! Lol????

Or, save up and get one of these... 

2013-03-14 1:42 AM
in reply to: #4657811

New user

Thanks for the help, will get more miles under my belt, ride the mountain bike do now then consider a road bike . Was able to get a swim in today before hockey, did some sprint laps instead of distance, much harder to maintain pace. Best to all of you I sure appreciate the input , good training.
2013-03-14 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Thanks for the suggestions, Tony. Can't believe I didn't think of just sighting more frequently instead of trying to swim blind. I usually count my strokes when doing that to make sure I don't run into the wall. My thoughts with focusing on swimming so much was being able to get ahead of some of the slower bikers in Xterra, where passing can be more difficult. It's also good to hear your perspective on the meat thing too. I haven't cut it out entirely. I eat meat about 3-4 times a week. I might hold at that for awhile. Not sure yet. Thanks again!

2013-03-14 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4658896

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Meulen - 2013-03-13 7:57 PM Tony's probably going to have a good pacing strategy for you!

But I can tell you what I did recenlty for half marathon. I incorporated the Yasso strategy into my workouts.
http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/yasso-800s
I put these in my training as speed work once a week. It was a good way to both plan a pacing strategy in a race and detail interval pacing for speed workouts during your training.

Holy crap! Can't believe I forgot about Yasso 800s! I did them once in late December on a nice day (5 repeats) and forgot about them until now. So I did 8 after work today. I didn't do them quite how the Yasso himself described them in the article. I'd read in another article describing them that you take the same rest time as you were running your repeats (repeats at 4 min, rest for 4 min). Loved it. I didn't realize until today that I missed the track. The track was still 60% covered in snow and ice, so I think my effort was higher for my 800s than the time shows. I'll give it another shot next week and see how it goes. Thanks for that suggestion! 

AM Run tomorrow (if I can get my butt outa bed) PM swim (1800-2200 m in prep for my big run Sat).

Happy training!

2013-03-18 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Happy Monday all! 

How did everyone's weekend go?  I FINALLY got to ride my new MTB only to crash within 60 seconds!  I think it was Brian's good luck rubbing off me.... 

Other then that got some work in, some solid training and family time.  Can't believe April (AKA racing season) is right around the corner!  

2013-03-18 3:15 PM

User image

Master

Hey, all! I've been spending a lot of time MTBing and swimming trying to get as ready as possible for Xterra.

XTERRA IS COMING. Lord, I'm a wreck.

I'm doing a little of everything this week, nothing strenuous. Friday I'm fully resting. Saturday is race day.

Here's a video of us walking through the run course to mark it. Yes, we will be running through this!

XTERRA Run Course

I'm the girl in long sleeved green top looking dignified coming off the waterfall right into a big hole in the water.

Happy training all! I'm gonna be a nervous mess all week.

2013-03-19 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4664901

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Blanda - 2013-03-18 3:15 PM

Hey, all! I've been spending a lot of time MTBing and swimming trying to get as ready as possible for Xterra.

I'm doing a little of everything this week, nothing strenuous. Friday I'm fully resting. Saturday is race day.

Here's a video of us walking through the run course to mark it. Yes, we will be running through this!

XTERRA Run Course

I'm the girl in long sleeved green top looking dignified coming off the waterfall right into a big hole in the water.

Wow...looks like a fun (and difficult) run course! Definitely worthy of the Xterra name. Good luck this weekend!

10 miler yesterday, rest day, but I had some time free up so I did an easy 40 min spin on the trainer just for something to do. Tomorrow I'm back at it!

2013-03-20 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4666728

User image

Master

Wow...looks like a fun (and difficult) run course! Definitely worthy of the Xterra name. Good luck this weekend!

10 miler yesterday, rest day, but I had some time free up so I did an easy 40 min spin on the trainer just for something to do. Tomorrow I'm back at it!

Thank you! I'm starting to calm down with each little bit of last minute training. Just a little of everything.

Strong training there. Keep it up!

2013-03-20 11:58 PM

New user

Hey blanda I'm excited about your race, can't believe that you will have to go through that course, don't get hurt!,,, Hey guys bought a road bike today, decided on a trek madone 5.9 2011 but hasn't really been used maybe 100km on it. Got a great deal, can't wait to take it out Up to 4.5 miles on my run, still on treadmill. Will move to the street this weekend. Getting more and more addicted. Feels great to get better and better. Best to all,
2013-03-22 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Good luck on that race, Blanda! You'll do great!

Lack of sleep had me cutting a workout short on Thursday and missing a short run today. It's ok. I think I'm being consistent enough to make it with no problems.

Long run tomorrow. Next weekend: Half-marathon!

2013-03-22 11:07 PM

User image

Master
I finished! 39:15 swim, 3:54:18 bike, and 1:35:25 run/walk/climb/swim/slide, lol!

I am STOKED.

2013-03-23 8:04 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Way to go Blanda!
2013-03-23 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Thanks! That's actually 2:54:18 on the bike, not 3 hours.

Happy training!
2013-03-23 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Congrats on finishing!

That run course looked challenging and judging from the pictures you posted of the bike course, it was just as challenging. Good work!

2013-03-24 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4671203

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Blanda - 2013-03-22 11:07 PM I finished! 39:15 swim, 3:54:18 bike, and 1:35:25 run/walk/climb/swim/slide, lol!

I am STOKED.

Congrats on the race! 

2013-03-24 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
MI
Blanda - 2013-03-18 4:15 PM

XTERRA Run Course

LOL!!  That was fun to watch, thanks for sharing! Laughing  Congrats on getting through the race!

2013-03-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4672143

User image

Expert
MI

Question

I wonder if anyone could take a stab at how long I may be out on the bike course specifically in regards to xterra torn shirt.  If I average around 17mph during a regular sprint triathlon, assuming I have similar amount of fitness (which is questionable), what kind of average mph would you predict on the torn shirt bike course knowing what that course is like?  I realize there are many variables, but please, humor me

2013-03-26 12:36 AM
in reply to: #4671329

New user

Blanda way to go , always good to complete a goal, are you pleased with your times, Rob
2013-03-26 4:41 AM
in reply to: #4672143

User image

Master
"LOL!!  That was fun to watch, thanks for sharing! Laughing  Congrats on getting through the race!"

Glad you enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun.

Robpest: I'm very happy with my swim. My time last year was 46, and my training times were about that pace lately, so wasn't sure how well I'd do. My bike was right about where I thought I'd finish based on my pre-ride a few days before. I had done it in 2:30 and figured that after swimming I'd be a little tired and it would probably take me 10-15 more minutes. I'm still still hesitant on certain descents, and fell trying to climb some hills, but overall, I am pleased with how I rode. Running is my strength, but I wasn't as aggressive as I should have been. I was just so happy to have made cut-off to run that I just enjoyed the run.

Since I was the only one in my age group, I qualified for Xterra Worlds in Maui. I plan to hire a local coach and go. So excited! I may never get a chance like this again.

Edited by Blanda 2013-03-26 3:48 PM
2013-03-30 6:19 AM

User image

Master
Finally got an MTB ride in on Friday after vegging out for a week. It was so hard not to lounge around with the kids home for Spring break. Such a cozy, pressure free time we've had!

Because I'm still not believing I did this, here's a video to show what went down: Xterra Guam

Happy training, guys!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 16