BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-03-30 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4543641

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN

Had my first race of the season today! I've been running and active for a long time, but haven't been racing for very long. Today was my first half marathon and it went well. Apart from an upset stomach (I don't know why though), the race went well! Finished in 1:28:14. Better than my 1:30 goal. Also got 11th overall which is a good place. 5th in my age group though. Fast crowd in my group today. I'm in good shape for the May marathon! Full race write up is in race reports.

Tomorrow is a medium recovery run, maybe some biking. This week will be a high-mileage running week, ending with another 8k race with a friend on Sunday. Happy training all!

Edited by The Chupacabra 2013-03-30 4:17 PM

2013-03-30 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4674377

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Blanda - 2013-03-26 4:41 AM"LOL!!  That was fun to watch, thanks for sharing! Laughing  Congrats on getting through the race!"

Glad you enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun.

Robpest: I'm very happy with my swim. My time last year was 46, and my training times were about that pace lately, so wasn't sure how well I'd do. My bike was right about where I thought I'd finish based on my pre-ride a few days before. I had done it in 2:30 and figured that after swimming I'd be a little tired and it would probably take me 10-15 more minutes. I'm still still hesitant on certain descents, and fell trying to climb some hills, but overall, I am pleased with how I rode. Running is my strength, but I wasn't as aggressive as I should have been. I was just so happy to have made cut-off to run that I just enjoyed the run.

Since I was the only one in my age group, I qualified for Xterra Worlds in Maui. I plan to hire a local coach and go. So excited! I may never get a chance like this again.

Congrats on qualifieng for Maui!!! What a great achievement! Im hoping for the same, so hope to see you out in Maui! Sorry don't know any coaches in Guam to refer to but if you want a distance coach let me know!
2013-03-30 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4680174

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
The Chupacabra - 2013-03-30 4:08 PM

Had my first race of the season today! I've been running and active for a long time, but haven't been racing for very long. Today was my first half marathon and it went well. Apart from an upset stomach (I don't know why though), the race went well! Finished in 1:28:14. Better than my 1:30 goal. Also got 11th overall which is a good place. 5th in my age group though. Fast crowd in my group today. I'm in good shape for the May marathon! Full race write up is in race reports.

Tomorrow is a medium recovery run, maybe some biking. This week will be a high-mileage running week, ending with another 8k race with a friend on Sunday. Happy training all!

Wow that sounds like a competitive age group. Solid performance though going under 1:30! That's a great time!
2013-03-31 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4680174

User image

Master
The Chupacabra - 2013-03-30 8:08 PM

Amazing time! Congratulations on such a high placement overall an in your AG. You're gonna rock your marathon.

Tony: That would be so cool to meet you there! Good luck qualifying!!I did find a local coach. He's helped a bunch of local triathletes get through Maui and IMNZ. He's put a plan for together for me and I get started today. Excited!

Happy training, all!

2013-03-31 8:37 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Great job on the races guys and girls! Had a big weekend here! Got half of my basement framed out for the new pain cave/bar/theatre. Met Tony on Saturday and road 95 miles in the cold and wind. Sunday I met Tony again out at a local hill. Put in a bunch of hill repeats and another 45ish miles. Then went home and did a 20 minute brick run before coming back and getting the wife and her friend to pace them in their training for half marathon for another 50 minutes and about 5.5 total miles.
2013-03-31 9:21 PM

Hope I don't come off as a complete newb but am I ok to join this group?

Repost from 1st entry:
Once upon a time I was very athletic (a competitive bodybuilder, loved basketball, football, racket ball, running, and biking). Through some tragedies in my life and focusing on my career (instead of my health) I lost the athlete. +100lbs and 10 years later I had my first brush with mortality (12/2011). I decided then and there that I would find that athlete and stick around for as long as I could (Living Life, Loving Life, and Being Healthy).

I changed the way i was eating December 2011, I ran my first 5k in 11 years Spring 2012, I completed 3 obstacle course races Summer of 2012. Got on a road bike for the first time in 12 years Fall 2012. Winter of 2012 I signed up for my First Triathlon (Sprint in May 2013).

And now you know my story :-). I could really use your advice/guidance/experience so I don't die out there.

Sex: M
Height: 5'8"
SW:278lbs
CW:200

So.... Can you help as I'm starting to freak out :-)

2013-04-01 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4681214

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Meulen - 2013-03-31 8:37 PM Great job on the races guys and girls! Had a big weekend here! Got half of my basement framed out for the new pain cave/bar/theatre. Met Tony on Saturday and road 95 miles in the cold and wind. Sunday I met Tony again out at a local hill. Put in a bunch of hill repeats and another 45ish miles. Then went home and did a 20 minute brick run before coming back and getting the wife and her friend to pace them in their training for half marathon for another 50 minutes and about 5.5 total miles.

That's a hardcore weekend. Kudos for getting it all done! 95 miles on Saturday probably got a lot of mental toughness in there too.

2013-04-01 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

9.5 miles today. Legs were kinda heavy for the first part, but loosened up in the middle and then felt tired again towards the end. Tomorrow is a complete rest day. Maybe a short walk in the morning before work. Normally I do a VERY slow jog for 2-3 miles or 10-20 easy biking (usually commuting on the bike or moseying around town sight-seeing or visiting a friend) on my off days. I get cranky if I don't. I might just take tomorrow totally off.

I also have an 8k in downtown Chicago this weekend, but I think I'm going to blow that race off. I thought it was on Saturday, but it's on Sunday and I'm on schedule for a 20 miler this weekend. I might do the 20 miler early Saturday (leave at 6:00 am) and then do the 8k Sunday morning at a reasonable pace instead of a breakneck pace. We'll see how the week turns out. I might be able to squeeze in 20 miles on Friday evening. 

2013-04-01 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4682695

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
The Chupacabra - 2013-04-01 9:07 PM

Meulen - 2013-03-31 8:37 PM Great job on the races guys and girls! Had a big weekend here! Got half of my basement framed out for the new pain cave/bar/theatre. Met Tony on Saturday and road 95 miles in the cold and wind. Sunday I met Tony again out at a local hill. Put in a bunch of hill repeats and another 45ish miles. Then went home and did a 20 minute brick run before coming back and getting the wife and her friend to pace them in their training for half marathon for another 50 minutes and about 5.5 total miles.

That's a hardcore weekend. Kudos for getting it all done! 95 miles on Saturday probably got a lot of mental toughness in there too.

Probably mental happiness by dropping his coach on every climb!   It was a good weekend! 

How did everyone else do this weekend?  Glad its finally warming up here in the mid-west!

2013-04-01 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4682699

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
The Chupacabra - 2013-04-01 9:10 PM

9.5 miles today. Legs were kinda heavy for the first part, but loosened up in the middle and then felt tired again towards the end. Tomorrow is a complete rest day. Maybe a short walk in the morning before work. Normally I do a VERY slow jog for 2-3 miles or 10-20 easy biking (usually commuting on the bike or moseying around town sight-seeing or visiting a friend) on my off days. I get cranky if I don't. I might just take tomorrow totally off.

I also have an 8k in downtown Chicago this weekend, but I think I'm going to blow that race off. I thought it was on Saturday, but it's on Sunday and I'm on schedule for a 20 miler this weekend. I might do the 20 miler early Saturday (leave at 6:00 am) and then do the 8k Sunday morning at a reasonable pace instead of a breakneck pace. We'll see how the week turns out. I might be able to squeeze in 20 miles on Friday evening. 

Doing the Shamrock huh?!  Looks like a fun race, never did it.  You can always do the 8k Sunday morning, then just keep running down the lakefront path until you do 20.  The scenery is great!

2013-04-01 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4681261

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Thebodybuilder - 2013-03-31 9:21 PM Hope I don't come off as a complete newb but am I ok to join this group?

Repost from 1st entry:
Once upon a time I was very athletic (a competitive bodybuilder, loved basketball, football, racket ball, running, and biking). Through some tragedies in my life and focusing on my career (instead of my health) I lost the athlete. +100lbs and 10 years later I had my first brush with mortality (12/2011). I decided then and there that I would find that athlete and stick around for as long as I could (Living Life, Loving Life, and Being Healthy).

I changed the way i was eating December 2011, I ran my first 5k in 11 years Spring 2012, I completed 3 obstacle course races Summer of 2012. Got on a road bike for the first time in 12 years Fall 2012. Winter of 2012 I signed up for my First Triathlon (Sprint in May 2013).

And now you know my story :-). I could really use your advice/guidance/experience so I don't die out there.

Sex: M
Height: 5'8"
SW:278lbs
CW:200

So.... Can you help as I'm starting to freak out :-)

Welcome to the group and congrats on changing your life around!  Mistakes happen, but the good thing is your aware of the crazy life you lived before and are now changing that.  So congrats! 

Why are you freaking out?!  You still have a month to get ready, as long as your consistent you should be fine!

2013-04-02 1:16 PM

I can run.

I can bike.

and I am positive I can drown Laughing

February 11th I got in the water for the first time in a LONG TIME (why did I think I could do a triathlon? I HAVE NO IDEA!)  Now since this is a mentoring forum there is no making fun... Cry  I was only able to swim 200m my first time out (in 30 minutes).  Oye.  I can still remember the sadness.

But I am happy to report that I can now do 750m in 30 minutes (750 is the distance of my upcoming triathlon OWS).  I can do this by swimming 2x75 and then 12x50 (resting between sets of 10 seconds to 45 seconds).

I can't rest at the lake!  Is there any advice that can be offered on how to improve my endurance or just be able to not drown.  Not dying is KEY for during this Tri (in case I forgot to mention)  Laughing

Thanks for your help.

2013-04-02 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4683711

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Thebodybuilder - 2013-04-02 1:16 PM

I can run.

I can bike.

February 11th I got in the water for the first time in a LONG TIME (why did I think I could do a triathlon? I HAVE NO IDEA!)  Now since this is a mentoring forum there is no making fun... Cry  I was only able to swim 200m my first time out (in 30 minutes).  Oye.  I can still remember the sadness.

But I am happy to report that I can now do 750m in 30 minutes (750 is the distance of my upcoming triathlon OWS).  I can do this by swimming 2x75 and then 12x50 (resting between sets of 10 seconds to 45 seconds).

I can't rest at the lake!  Is there any advice that can be offered on how to improve my endurance or just be able to not drown.  Not dying is KEY for during this Tri (in case I forgot to mention)  Laughing

Thanks for your help.

Don't panic.  Just R E L A X    You won't be the only one at the lake if you have to roll on your back, float, and take a rest.  It's waaaaay better than drowning!

My first tri was my first Open water swim.  That was a mistake.  One or two times in the OW could have alieviated a lot of anxiety and panic, as well as gave me the opportunity to learn how to sight and generally navigate the open water.  Swim 3x or more a week and you will see steady improvement.

2013-04-02 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4682705

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
tzcoaching - 2013-04-01 9:14 PM
The Chupacabra - 2013-04-01 9:10 PM

Doing the Shamrock huh?!  Looks like a fun race, never did it.  You can always do the 8k Sunday morning, then just keep running down the lakefront path until you do 20.  The scenery is great!

Can't believe I didn't think of that...great idea!

2013-04-02 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4683735

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Meulen - 2013-04-02 1:27 PM
Thebodybuilder - 2013-04-02 1:16 PM

I can run.

I can bike.

Thanks for your help.

Don't panic.  Just R E L A X    You won't be the only one at the lake if you have to roll on your back, float, and take a rest.  It's waaaaay better than drowning!

My first tri was my first Open water swim.  That was a mistake.  One or two times in the OW could have alieviated a lot of anxiety and panic, as well as gave me the opportunity to learn how to sight and generally navigate the open water.  Swim 3x or more a week and you will see steady improvement.

Agreed. You'll be fine. My first tri was also my first OWS and it was a bit of a shock. I wasn't totally comfortable in the water yet. It was only 500 m and 250 m in I was resting on a kayak. No shame in that. There will be others who will need to take a break and relax. Come to think of it, my second tri wasn't much faster than what you're saying you're swimming now.

I also recommend swimming at least 3x a week. I made swimming my priority at the beginning. You'll be fine, just keep working on the swimming.

2013-04-03 12:04 AM

New user

Good for you for committing, I'm also a new comer turning 50 this summer. Doing my first sprint tri this year, hv had back problems most of my life, sitting to much and not doing full type core exercising, basically o fat and out of shape, takes its toll on the body. Wow down to 200lbs you are well on your way, fortunately I was a swimmer when I was young so that stuff comes easy, running is my problem.As everyone has said, stay with it, it is amazing how fast your endurance will go up, need to get those swimming muscles in shape, once you gain some fitness, strength, then your speed and stroke will get better. You can then work on time and improvement with how to move through the water. All the best to you. You already are a champ just for committing, stay with it Rob from Canada

2013-04-03 12:16 AM

New user

Hey everyone, as I read some of your posts I get intimated. I'm getting going here so it's very hard to grade myself on where I should be. Fortunately I'm sticking with it. I get tired though, working out is okay because once I get going I'm fine, afterwards though is tough. I start feeling so old trying to bounceback . Hockey is over this weekend, after that I'm thinking of signing up for some coaching so I can balance the workouts with some nutrition. Any advice for a beginner, again would be appreciated. Rt now, I bought a decent rd bike, did a short 16 km ride with hills, in about 38 min. I know it's slow, but that was after a 40 km ride the day before. I swam today another 1.5 km. doing the second 500 Meters in about 8:40min in a pool. I'm up to about 4 miles in my running seems very hard for me to get distance in the run. Again as I read your stuff I feel like such a beginner. How should I go about improving. Pace, nutrition, coaching etc.
2013-04-03 12:37 AM

User image

Master
Thebodybuilder - 2013-04-02 5:16 PM

I can run.

I can bike.

Thanks for your help.

You're only going to get better with practice! Believe me. I didn't know how to swim 1.5 years ago and now I'm gearing up for a 2.5 mile swim from one island to another in May. Along the way I learned confidence, and that's helped a ton! I may not be the fastest, but I'm gonna get there.

2013-04-03 12:44 AM
in reply to: #4684498

User image

Master

Robpest - 2013-04-03 4:16 AM Hey everyone, as I read some of your posts I get intimated. I'm getting going here so it's very hard to grade myself on where I should be. Fortunately I'm sticking with it. I get tired though, working out is okay because once I get going I'm fine, afterwards though is tough. I start feeling so old trying to bounceback . Hockey is over this weekend, after that I'm thinking of signing up for some coaching so I can balance the workouts with some nutrition. Any advice for a beginner, again would be appreciated. Rt now, I bought a decent rd bike, did a short 16 km ride with hills, in about 38 min. I know it's slow, but that was after a 40 km ride the day before. I swam today another 1.5 km. doing the second 500 Meters in about 8:40min in a pool. I'm up to about 4 miles in my running seems very hard for me to get distance in the run. Again as I read your stuff I feel like such a beginner. How should I go about improving. Pace, nutrition, coaching etc.

It's taken me almost two years of doing triathlons to make me feel like I can hang. A lot of it is knowing how to train, I'm learning. I know how to train for running, but swimming and biking, not really. 1st year I did it mostly alone, so I wasn't just moseying along, not really know how to push myself.

What made the difference was getting the nerve up to tag along with the more experienced, even though it meant I'd be chasing them, and they'd sometimes have to wait for me. I was able to watch them and learn all the little important things I wasn't doing.

Maybe you can find groups to bike and swim with?

2013-04-03 10:45 PM
in reply to: #4684489

Robpest - 2013-04-03 12:04 AMGood for you for committing, I'm also a new comer turning 50 this summer. Doing my first sprint tri this year, hv had back problems most of my life, sitting to much and not doing full type core exercising, basically o fat and out of shape, takes its toll on the body. Wow down to 200lbs you are well on your way, fortunately I was a swimmer when I was young so that stuff comes easy, running is my problem.As everyone has said, stay with it, it is amazing how fast your endurance will go up, need to get those swimming muscles in shape, once you gain some fitness, strength, then your speed and stroke will get better. You can then work on time and improvement with how to move through the water. All the best to you. You already are a champ just for committing, stay with it Rob from Canada
Thanks Rob. No plans of stopping this train :-). Feel to good right now a d I have so much work left.Oh... One more thing. I'm in PA and ur cold air from up north is causing me to limit my outdoor rides. Can you go ahead keep the cold to yourself :-)
2013-04-04 5:06 PM

Swimming makes me negative... Logged .63 miles today.... It took 45 minutes :-( Being a crazy person I decided I needed to find out what I could different and found this:
Swim a mile in 6 weeks.

WEEK one (Three Days):
4 x 100 yards (or meters)...rest for 12 breaths between 100s
4 x 50 yards...rest for 8 breaths between 50s
4 x 25 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 25s
total: 700 yards
(Your pool is 50 meters? Just add 2 50s instead of the 25s)

Y do I feel this is beyond my capabilities?

2013-04-05 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4684498

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Robpest - 2013-04-03 12:16 AM Hey everyone, as I read some of your posts I get intimated. I'm getting going here so it's very hard to grade myself on where I should be. Fortunately I'm sticking with it. I get tired though, working out is okay because once I get going I'm fine, afterwards though is tough. I start feeling so old trying to bounceback . Hockey is over this weekend, after that I'm thinking of signing up for some coaching so I can balance the workouts with some nutrition. Any advice for a beginner, again would be appreciated. Rt now, I bought a decent rd bike, did a short 16 km ride with hills, in about 38 min. I know it's slow, but that was after a 40 km ride the day before. I swam today another 1.5 km. doing the second 500 Meters in about 8:40min in a pool. I'm up to about 4 miles in my running seems very hard for me to get distance in the run. Again as I read your stuff I feel like such a beginner. How should I go about improving. Pace, nutrition, coaching etc.

Any workout is better than no workout (generally). The general advice for starting out is to just go slow. There's no need to rush. It seems like most people either feel blocked by the swimming or the running. Running has always been easy for me, but I feel like a rock when I get in the pool. For running, just keep it slow and keep building slowly. You'll get there. It takes time and sometimes the time is what gets us most. It's tough to wait.

2013-04-05 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4687274

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Thebodybuilder - 2013-04-04 5:06 PM Swimming makes me negative... Logged .63 miles today.... It took 45 minutes :-( Being a crazy person I decided I needed to find out what I could different and found this:
Swim a mile in 6 weeks.

WEEK one (Three Days):
4 x 100 yards (or meters)...rest for 12 breaths between 100s
4 x 50 yards...rest for 8 breaths between 50s
4 x 25 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 25s
total: 700 yards
(Your pool is 50 meters? Just add 2 50s instead of the 25s)

Y do I feel this is beyond my capabilities?

That looks like Ruth Kazez's 0-1650 in 6 weeks program. If it is, I can say it worked for me. I started after flailing around in the pool for about 5 weeks. I felt like it was beyond my ability as well, but you just have to stick to what she says. I focused on slowing my breathing during those breaks. I might pick up some of those later sessions in that plan to build up my endurance again. I think she has another plan that's a little more beginner than that one too (just looked it up...it's that same workout but with fewer reps). I thought this workout would be beyond me, but when I got to the pool and started, I found I was more capable than I thought.

Also...I'd recommend reading as many swimming technique articles as possible and watching some videos online. Swimsmooth.com is great for this. If you search Total Immersion on YouTube you get tons of great videos as well. I also still pull up 1500m elite level races to watch. I focus on the swimmers form and look for something new. When I first started this, I didn't understand a lot and a lot of the swimmers looked the same. After awhiel though, you start to see the differences.

I haven't become a great swimmer (I'm trying...it's my new focus after the May marathon!), but I can average less than 2:00/100 (barely...).

You can do it! Keep at it!

2013-04-05 8:52 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

www.swimsmooth.com

If you can get some lessons or join a masters group

2013-04-05 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4686023

New user

Hey bodybuilder I live on vancouver island just north of Seattle, we've been cutting lawn for 4 wks already, I think we had maybe 3 days of snow sticking around this winter, we are Canada's best kept secret, don't tell anyone. We like our privacy even though most of us come from other parts of cold Canada. Best of luck to you in the east, spring is coming, I will send you some nice weather, keep up the training. Rob
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 16