BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-01-06 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4564600

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN

I've done both the FT. Cluster & Torn Shirt, and have to say Torn Shirt is definetly harder.  If I remember right the run is longer (I think it's a full 10k), and is PRETTY hilly; your either going up these steep things (lots of people walking them) or going down some steep hills which just beats you up.  

It's a FUN race, but one of the more challenging ones.  Ft. Cluster is shorter, flatter & faster so if your trained up decently you should be OK to do a road Oly the next weekend.  I mean you may still be sore, but you should be fine! 

2013-01-06 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4564613

User image

Expert
MI
tzcoaching - 2013-01-06 1:19 PM

I've done both the FT. Cluster & Torn Shirt, and have to say Torn Shirt is definetly harder.  If I remember right the run is longer (I think it's a full 10k), and is PRETTY hilly; your either going up these steep things (lots of people walking them) or going down some steep hills which just beats you up.  

It's a FUN race, but one of the more challenging ones.  Ft. Cluster is shorter, flatter & faster so if your trained up decently you should be OK to do a road Oly the next weekend.  I mean you may still be sore, but you should be fine! 

hmm... maybe I'll consider it then!  Now... how about that water temp at Fort Custer??  I feel like May would just be cold!  I was already thinking Memorial Day weekend is soon enough for a triathlon!

2013-01-06 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4564620

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

It wasn't that bad last year.  A little chilli, but the water is fairly shallow so it warms up quickly.  But I wore a wetsuit.  Nice location too, ended up camping out there with the family so it was fun! 

If you go let me know, we can meet up there!  I think Brian is doing that one this year also. 

2013-01-06 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4543641

User image

Expert
What is everyone's "A" race this year? Mine is Timberman 70.3 in August. It'll be my first HIM.
2013-01-06 1:12 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Hi Tony & everyone,

I, too, am involved in another mentor group, but I'd love to poke my head in to say hi here as well because of your focus on short distances and Xterra. Hope that's okay, let me know if it's not.

A little bit about me:

NAME: Gretchen. I'm a reality tv editor/writer and documentary filmmaker. 

STORY: I'm a former athlete (swimmer/soccer/lacrosse). I've been marginally active over the past couple of decades and decided last September 2012 that I was fed up. Because I'm a swimmer (or was) and like running, I thought competing in a triathlon would be a cool possibility. I wanted to get a bit of a base going, so last fall I began (and recently completed) a 16-week Couch to 5K plan. Now, I'm in the very early stages of a BT beginner sprint plan. I lived for a number of years in New York (NYC and Syracuse) and moved to LA two years ago, where I've been enjoying my snowless winters. (Sorry Syracuse.)

MY PLAN: This year, which will be my first year competing in triathlon, I'm just hoping to get up on the horse, so to speak. I want to develop a strong base and get back into shape. I'm doing a couple of mini-sprint tris in the spring (Los Alamitos, Pasadena), Xterra Malibu Challenge Trail run, a 5K, a couple of open water sprint tris over the summer (Redondo Beach and Hansen Dam) and then would like to finish the season with HITS in Arizona in November. At least, that's the plan. I'm open for suggestions. I've been very consistent with my workouts, hate missing them, and look forward to my first race to get my feet wet. At this point, my main focus is sprint distances, and I'd love to learn more about Xterra, which sounds awesome.

Thanks so much, 

g

Edited by gmorning 2013-01-06 8:34 PM
2013-01-06 1:15 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I should be up there for ft Custer as well. I've done it once before an it was a lot of fun. The water was in the 50's and a bit cold when I did it but my wetsuit kept me pretty warm.

I have 3 "A" races this year
Kansas 70.3
Muncie 70.3
USAT Nationals (Oly)

I'm hoping to qualify for LasVegas 70.3 at one of the HIMs. Not quite sure it'll happen but I'm giving it a go!

2013-01-06 1:16 PM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
Morning,

So up and at it for 520 for work, two slices of raisin toast with homemade grape jelly (made from beet juice with minimal sweetener).

yogurt and granola bar snack, and a 2oz of pasta and 2 cups of broccoli for lunch!

My 'A' race will be tackling a Olympic this summer in August! Planning on being sprint ready by May 11th!

Planning on 45 min ride on the spin bike at the gym! working up north is a pain! I hate the bikes at the gym

So I don't know if anyone already knows about it but I am using an app called "lose it" it's great! you don't have to enter the nutrition info, just scan the barcode and fill in the serving size!

I am amazed at the products that scan I including my raisin bread it was baked at the store!

Cheers!
2013-01-06 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4564691

User image

Expert
MI

Meulen - 2013-01-06 2:15 PM I should be up there for ft Custer as well. I've done it once before an it was a lot of fun. The water was in the 50's and a bit cold when I did it but my wetsuit kept me pretty warm.

SurprisedSurprised LOL.  I have been in 50-something degree water (well, 59-60), and I would prefer not to repeat that!  Well actually once getting in the water it didn't feel so bad, I think because the air temp was so cold too (50s) and I was so cold to begin with.  Still!  The thought of 50 degree temps is not intriguing to me! Tongue out (I have a wetsuit.)

2013-01-06 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4564692

User image

Expert
Ktieulie - 2013-01-06 2:16 PMMorning,

So up and at it for 520 for work, two slices of raisin toast with homemade grape jelly (made from beet juice with minimal sweetener).

yogurt and granola bar snack, and a 2oz of pasta and 2 cups of broccoli for lunch!

My 'A' race will be tackling a Olympic this summer in August! Planning on being sprint ready by May 11th!

Planning on 45 min ride on the spin bike at the gym! working up north is a pain! I hate the bikes at the gym

So I don't know if anyone already knows about it but I am using an app called "lose it" it's great! you don't have to enter the nutrition info, just scan the barcode and fill in the serving size!

I am amazed at the products that scan I including my raisin bread it was baked at the store!

Cheers!
I use myfitnesspal app. Very similar and impressive how well it works
Speaking of nutrition, I started, along with some other Tri friends in my other mentor group, Whole30. Similar to Paleo, except you eliminate dairy, all grains, sugar, and legumes. 30 days. Then introduce some of that back into your diet slowly. The idea behind it is all those foods cause systemic inflammation in the body. Sugar being the biggest culprit. It's not a diet as they say. The focus is to cleanse your system and correct how your hormones react to food etc. weight loss comes with it, but again, not the focus. I'm just about done the book. If for nothing else, the book teaches you how your body reacts to certain foods and so on. Highly reccommend the book. The website is www.whole9life.com. The book is: It Starts With Food. Check it out.
2013-01-06 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4564691

User image

Expert
Meulen - 2013-01-06 2:15 PMI should be up there for ft Custer as well. I've done it once before an it was a lot of fun. The water was in the 50's and a bit cold when I did it but my wetsuit kept me pretty warm.

I have 3 "A" races this year
Kansas 70.3
Muncie 70.3
USAT Nationals (Oly)

I'm hoping to qualify for LasVegas 70.3 at one of the HIMs. Not quite sure it'll happen but I'm giving it a go!

Wow, that's freaking awesome and some serious races. Good for you and good luck.
2013-01-06 4:25 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Tony has sme and some of his athletes doing a diet as well. He can tell you more about it. I think it's called the MET diet. It also cuts all sugars and carbs. The purpose for us is to teach our bodies to burn fat more efficiently.

2013-01-06 4:28 PM
in reply to: #4564884

User image

Expert
Meulen - 2013-01-06 5:25 PMTony has sme and some of his athletes doing a diet as well. He can tell you more about it. I think it's called the MET diet. It also cuts all sugars and carbs. The purpose for us is to teach our bodies to burn fat more efficiently.
That's exactly what this program does. Teaches your body to utilize its fat. No elimination of carbs though. The only carbs come from veggies amd fruit. Sweet potatoes are allowed.

Edited by rizer22 2013-01-06 4:28 PM
2013-01-06 4:35 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
We are allowed fruits vege's sweet potatoes too with some exception on certain fruits. I've been on it for week now. It's been a little tough with some headaches early and workouts are pretty miserable. I just had to throw in the towel on a 3hour trainer ride 2:10 into it. I have already lost a few pounds though.

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
We are allowed fruits vege's sweet potatoes too with some exception on certain fruits. I've been on it for week now. It's been a little tough with some headaches early and workouts are pretty miserable. I just had to throw in the towel on a 3hour trainer ride 2:10 into it. I have already lost a few pounds though.

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

2013-01-06 4:51 PM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
Quadruple post!

2013-01-06 6:20 PM

User image

Expert
Ummmmmm, 3 hour trainer rides blow. But it's all we get this time of year. That's what I love about mountain biking. I can ride all year long, even in 20 degree weather. Just need the right gear.
2013-01-06 6:33 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Yeah.....not sure how that 4 poster happened! LOL. ??

I usually don't have too much issue with the Lon trainer rides. I wish I had time today to pack up and drive to the trails. But it just wasn't there today. The roads were icy too so that was out!
2013-01-06 6:36 PM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
what part of the world are you from there is certainly no moutian biking this time of year year unless you can float ontop of 2-4ft of snow!
2013-01-06 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Hey Guys...

I've been reading this and felt like I should jump in here too.  I'll give you the run-down...

I'm Joel and I'm going to start my 2nd tri season. I did a short sprint last year (XTERRA QuarryMan) and a regular tri (XTERRA Illinois Wilds). Loved it...and realized how unprepared I was for it. So I'm going to try working harder now. I'm in far northeastern Illinois and love mountain biking.

Story: Been running for years and years and years. I've always thought about triathlon, but never did it because of swimming. I got over that when I forced myself to learn starting last Feb. and am still working now. I have an ambitious season coming up..so we'll see...I love being active..

Training: I've been working on swim form a lot, but am shifting that slightly. I want to kick off the season with a marathon in  early May, so I have a lot of running too. I don't have much desire to do a standard road tri. because I'm not much of a road biker. I get bored. My focus is on XTERRA.

2013 Races: Eggshell Shuffle HM (March), Wisconsin Marthon (May), XTERRAs I'd like to do (may not get all of them): Last Stand, Scales Lake, Lock 4 Blast, Versailles, Logansport, Illinois Wilds.  

I don't have any weight loss goals. I think I'm in a good balance of muscle and leanness. I'm 5'10" and come in at 145 lbs.  I'm excited to get in some questions and do what I can! 

Got in a quick recovery ride on the spin bike today for 20 min and quick 10 min run after. Goal was recovery after the harder long run yesterday. Good luck! 

2013-01-06 6:50 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I live in the Chicagoland area. We got a little snow yesterday but it melted. It's still close to freezing though so there is some ice. It's not normal we don't have snow right now though
2013-01-06 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4564686

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
gmorning - 2013-01-06 1:12 PM

Hi Tony & everyone,

I, too, am involved in another mentor group, but I'd love to poke my head in to say hi here as well because of your focus on short distances and Xterra. Hope that's okay, let me know if it's not.

A little bit about me:

NAME: Gretchen. I'm a reality tv editor/writer and documentary filmmaker. 

STORY: I'm a former athlete (swimmer/soccer/lacrosse). I've been marginally active over the past couple of decades and decided last September 2012 that I was fed up. Because I'm a swimmer (or was) and like running, I thought competing in a triathlon would be a cool possibility. I wanted to get a bit of a base going, so last fall I began (and recently completed) a 16-week Couch to 5K plan. Now, I'm in the very early stages of a BT beginner sprint plan. I lived for a number of years in New York (NYC and Syracuse) and moved to LA two years ago, where I've been enjoying my snowless winters. (Sorry Syracuse.)

MY PLAN: This year, which will be my first year competing in triathlon, I'm just hoping to get up on the horse, so to speak. I want to develop a strong base and get back into shape. I'm doing a couple of mini-sprint tris in the spring (Los Alamitos, Pasadena), Xterra Malibu Challenge Trail run, a 5K, a couple of open water sprint tris over the summer (Redondo Beach and Hansen Dam) and then would like to finish the season with HITS in Arizona in November. At least, that's the plan. I'm open for suggestions. I've been very consistent with my workouts, hate missing them, and look forward to my first race to get my feet wet. At this point, my main focus is sprint distances, and I'd love to learn more about Xterra, which sounds awesome.

Thanks so much, 

g

Welcome to the group Gretchen!  You picked the right group if you want to learn more about Xterra!  your in so-cal, i think they have a few good ones down there! 

2013-01-06 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4565034

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Hey Joel!  Welcome to the group. I raced those 2 xterra's last year as well so we probably crossed paths!  

Welcome to the group.  As you can see there's a few of us from the mid-west that will do some of those same Xterra's so we can certainly plan on meeting up, racing, having fun and probably raising a celebratory post-race brew! 

2013-01-06 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Jeff, checked out the whole9life diet; it sames pretty similar to the met diet (metabolic efficiency diet).  The way I tell my clients, the best diet is: if it comes from the earth, water or had a face on it it's probably OK to eat.  

Back to the diet.  30 days is good, but from what it sounds like thats more of a "cleansing diet".  The met diet teaches your body to rely more on fats then carbs over higher intensities and durations.  30 days just doesn't cut it. 

As Brian said, he's 1 week in and suffered on his 3 hour trainer ride.  The first month he'll suffer (you welcome brian), but then he's going to start feeling better so the second 30 days we can start increase the duration (he'll be able to finish that 3 hr ride) and the 15-30 days after that we'll start addressing intensity.   

So basically 10-12 weeks of that diet.  Yes it sucks. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 16