BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-01-07 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4543641

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN

Tony -

What's the advantage to that? I know that it's supposed to train your body to burn fat instead of sugar. Does that translate into better performance through increased endurance? What's the down side to it (other than the tough 30 days of getting used to it)?

Missed my run this morning due to oversleeping. That's ok...I'll get it in tomorrow morning. Keep up the work everyone..

-Joel

2013-01-07 8:34 AM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
morning team,

1-slice of raisin toast with bp so good and a raspberry and blueberry smoothe with protein for fullness!

going to bike tonight post work and do some core after! Woot 14hrs from now haha!
2013-01-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4565617

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

The benefit is to extend the amount of time your body is able to burn fat at higher intensities before it crosses over to carbs, also known as the crossover point.  

When your in a race, your body first dips into fats for energy - think of it as higher octane fuel. What happens when you drop some bacon fat onto the stove - it lights up! 

Problem is, we are SO consumed with carbs / sugar that your body doesn't do such a good job of burning fat.  In fact, probably around 40-45 min and thats in.  In most races, Olympics lasting 2 hours to IM lasting 12, you can see how thats a problem.  Being able to extend that (to say 1:15-1.5 hours) will be greatly beneficial for anyone.  

2013-01-07 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Interesting...

Would that eliminate the need for race nutrition? In the "old" way, someone would be sucking down a gel after about 30-60 min. Would you still look at gels or something like that during a race or would that change too? This is interesting to think through...
2013-01-07 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4565032

User image

Expert

Ktieulie - 2013-01-06 7:36 PM what part of the world are you from there is certainly no moutian biking this time of year year unless you can float ontop of 2-4ft of snow!

I live in CT.  I should have said when there is no snow on the ground.  We still have about 6 inches showing.

2013-01-07 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4565689

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

The Chupacabra - 2013-01-07 9:02 AM Interesting...

Would that eliminate the need for race nutrition? In the "old" way, someone would be sucking down a gel after about 30-60 min. Would you still look at gels or something like that during a race or would that change too? This is interesting to think through...

I think we will be going back to traditional fueling methods during the season.  There may be some modification, as there always will be when you start testing fuel strategy in training before the races.

To be fair it's kind of controversal.  But, people have seen good results.  Honestly, I struggled with this.  I was worried about giving up a month or two of any significant gains while on the diet since workouts are really not quality enough to gain you anything.  I thought, why not keep the "Racing Weight" (book by Matt Fitzerald) strategy and eat clean but fuel the workouts.  What was I gaining by doing this?  For me:

1.  I've been into fitness and working out like crazy for several years now.  There is still visible fat on my body I can't seem to tap into and burn off, no matter how much I diet/exercise.   Teaching my body to burn the fat may help me tap into tha,t and take off those lbs. improving power to weight ratio's and decreasing the likelyhood of run injuries, increase bike climbing performance, etc..

2.  After careful thought I won't really be losing a month or two of gains.  I'm going to project a non-generous weight loss of 10lbs on the diet in 8 weeks.  In the same 8 weeks, this time of year, I may seem a 5% gain in FTP on the bike.  You could see more, but IMO you'll probably peak to early in the cycle for race season if you see more than that in this particular point of the calendar.  So......a 10lbs decrease in weight yields me a 6% increase in power/weight ratio.  Bottom line:  I may even see a bigger performance gain from the diet than I normally would from weight loss!  So even if I don't see the results from fat burning, I get them from a little weight loss.  And....if I lose even more weight on this, say possibly 16lbs, I'll see bigger gains in performance!!!  I'd see a 10% gain in power/weight with a 16lbs weight loss!

2013-01-07 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Cool. It makes sense. I'd have a really hard time getting through the transition period. I don't have much fat (getting an analysis soon as I had to switch gyms and they'll do it for free) and I eat frequently. I am shifting to a meat-lite diet in an effort to incorporate wider variety in my diet. I also don't like the idea of gels during a race when I make an effort to eat unprocessed foods outside of a race. I'm exploring some other options now...

Here's a question: I'm looking at mainly Xterras this coming season and the Xterra trail runs require more side to side (lateral) movements than a standard run in a tri. Would it be beneficial to do some workouts targeting those lateral stability muscles with this in mind? Obviously, it'd be best to get to some trails and run, but I rarely have the time to invest in getting to the trails. I used to play soccer, so I have some ideas of what I could do, but I don't know if it'd be worth it. Ideas?

- Joel

2013-01-07 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4563741

Tirana
why Xterra instead of an Oly? I think it suits me better, more "pace" variation. like yesterday I planned to do a slow 15K run, but (like always) I could not resist to speed up the last lap. That for me is the fun of XT  
2013-01-07 2:31 PM

Tirana

Hi Tony,

I am Steven, 46Y, new to Tri (and MTB), from the Netherlands, but living since '95 in Tirana,Albania;

current shape; reasonable, slightly overweight at 69kg, should be max 65.

my plan;

1) to race the Xterra Greece (1.5K/30K/10K) the 15th of june

2) the www.beach-challenge.nl (1K/26K/9K) the 13th of july

as preparation;

MTB Thassos Cup 58K 27th of april (http://www.mtb-thassos.com)

2013-01-07 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4565811

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Meulen - 2013-01-07 9:41 AM

The Chupacabra - 2013-01-07 9:02 AM Interesting...

I think we will be going back to traditional fueling methods during the season.  There may be some modification, as there always will be when you start testing fuel strategy in training before the races.

To be fair it's kind of controversal.  But, people have seen good results.  Honestly, I struggled with this.  I was worried about giving up a month or two of any significant gains while on the diet since workouts are really not quality enough to gain you anything.  I thought, why not keep the "Racing Weight" (book by Matt Fitzerald) strategy and eat clean but fuel the workouts.  What was I gaining by doing this?  For me:

1.  I've been into fitness and working out like crazy for several years now.  There is still visible fat on my body I can't seem to tap into and burn off, no matter how much I diet/exercise.   Teaching my body to burn the fat may help me tap into tha,t and take off those lbs. improving power to weight ratio's and decreasing the likelyhood of run injuries, increase bike climbing performance, etc..

2.  After careful thought I won't really be losing a month or two of gains.  I'm going to project a non-generous weight loss of 10lbs on the diet in 8 weeks.  In the same 8 weeks, this time of year, I may seem a 5% gain in FTP on the bike.  You could see more, but IMO you'll probably peak to early in the cycle for race season if you see more than that in this particular point of the calendar.  So......a 10lbs decrease in weight yields me a 6% increase in power/weight ratio.  Bottom line:  I may even see a bigger performance gain from the diet than I normally would from weight loss!  So even if I don't see the results from fat burning, I get them from a little weight loss.  And....if I lose even more weight on this, say possibly 16lbs, I'll see bigger gains in performance!!!  I'd see a 10% gain in power/weight with a 16lbs weight loss!

Well said my friend, well said... 

Yes, this diet should also help with race day performance.  A common problem you hear, especially long course athletes is they have GI issues because they eat too much during the race!  Well, if you teach your body to better burn what it has, then you don't eat as much, and you won't crap your pants halfway through the race.  Pretty simple.  

2013-01-07 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4566190

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
The Chupacabra - 2013-01-07 11:52 AM

Cool. It makes sense. I'd have a really hard time getting through the transition period. I don't have much fat (getting an analysis soon as I had to switch gyms and they'll do it for free) and I eat frequently. I am shifting to a meat-lite diet in an effort to incorporate wider variety in my diet. I also don't like the idea of gels during a race when I make an effort to eat unprocessed foods outside of a race. I'm exploring some other options now...

Here's a question: I'm looking at mainly Xterras this coming season and the Xterra trail runs require more side to side (lateral) movements than a standard run in a tri. Would it be beneficial to do some workouts targeting those lateral stability muscles with this in mind? Obviously, it'd be best to get to some trails and run, but I rarely have the time to invest in getting to the trails. I used to play soccer, so I have some ideas of what I could do, but I don't know if it'd be worth it. Ideas?

- Joel

Depends on what kind of workouts your talking about to target those stability muscles.  If your talking about doing something like the dude in the video I blogged about a while ago, then no not going to work.  Check it out here, I'll wait... 

Waiting... 

OK, welcome back.  Funny huh!  LOL.  The best way to train is specificity, or, trail running.  If you can't do that, do some weight lifting and that helps.  Its better to stand on stable ground and lift heavy things to let your body stabilize, then to stand on something like a bosu ball or other unstable platform and look silly at the gym.  

2013-01-07 3:55 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Dammit. That's what I was thinking of doing.
2013-01-07 3:58 PM

User image

Los Angeles
But actually, on the question of trail running... (still bummed that I can't do the ball exercise) I have a question too. Do trail shoes matter? I'm looking at the Malibu 6K and perhaps Wildflower mountain bike course this year. I typically run on the road with regular sneakers. Hoping to get in some trail runs in prep, but wanted to ask about the shoes.
2013-01-07 11:22 PM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
evening folks,

just finished at the gym 7.5 Mi @ 35m 10 min warm up 4sets of intervals 3, 1r, 2, 1r, 2, 1r, 2, 1r
followed by 7min of endurance pace and 5 min cool down!

then hit the weights for a few sets

2013-01-07 11:51 PM

User image

Master
Hii! I didn't know there was an Xterra group! Training at the moment for my 2nd attempt at our local one. Last year I crashed bad and got lost on the bike course and missed cut off to do the run by 5 minutes. I still have the scar from the crash to remind of my fail, grrrr.

I'm also in another group, but love to come and pick your brains here too, if that's OK.
2013-01-08 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4566721

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

gmorning - 2013-01-07 3:58 PM But actually, on the question of trail running... (still bummed that I can't do the ball exercise) I have a question too. Do trail shoes matter? I'm looking at the Malibu 6K and perhaps Wildflower mountain bike course this year. I typically run on the road with regular sneakers. Hoping to get in some trail runs in prep, but wanted to ask about the shoes.

I like my trail shoes, but you can run with normal road shoes.  I've done it.  You just have to be a little more careful.  Some of the road shoes don't grip quite as well.

Edited by Meulen 2013-01-08 7:59 AM

2013-01-08 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
gmorning - 2013-01-07 3:58 PMBut actually, on the question of trail running... (still bummed that I can't do the ball exercise) I have a question too. Do trail shoes matter? I'm looking at the Malibu 6K and perhaps Wildflower mountain bike course this year. I typically run on the road with regular sneakers. Hoping to get in some trail runs in prep, but wanted to ask about the shoes.
You can run in road shoes although you need to be a boy more careful. They don't tend to have the same grip or deeper tread so they can become slippery. Especially if you start to hit wet trails, road shoes don't shred mud very well.
2013-01-08 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4567341

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Blanda - 2013-01-07 11:51 PMHii! I didn't know there was an Xterra group! Training at the moment for my 2nd attempt at our local one. Last year I crashed bad and got lost on the bike course and missed cut off to do the run by 5 minutes. I still have the scar from the crash to remind of my fail, grrrr.

I'm also in another group, but love to come and pick your brains here too, if that's OK.
Welcome! Sounds like a painful race! Glad your back at it tho!
2013-01-08 8:19 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Crap Tony!  I'm limpin' a bit today!  Up till now my pool running sessions only resulted in a few little blisters.  But last night I noticed there was rough spot in the lane and it really tore my feet up.  My feet were still dripping blood when I got home.  Wore through the skin pretty good.  I should have worn my vibrams!  I'm not sure I'll be able to get them on now! LOL

On a brighter note, I was able to get through 3x8 goblet squats and 2x8 single legs squats before my quads locked up again last night!  So either I'm getting used to the weight training or the fat burning process on the diet is starting to kick in.  Not sure I'll find out tonight.  My legs are pretty tired from weights.  I'm sure 60 minutes at Z3 on the the bike will be a challenge.

2013-01-08 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

gmorning - 2013-01-07 3:58 PM But actually, on the question of trail running... (still bummed that I can't do the ball exercise) I have a question too. Do trail shoes matter? I'm looking at the Malibu 6K and perhaps Wildflower mountain bike course this year. I typically run on the road with regular sneakers. Hoping to get in some trail runs in prep, but wanted to ask about the shoes.

I did a mini-Xterra last year and a regular Xterra and I did both in my road running shoes. Honestly, trail running shoes are low on my list of tri things that I want/need.

2013-01-08 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
On another note, I had a lighter swim workout yesterday and I hit a PR on my 100 m. I hit 1:37 which I was very proud of. That's almost twice as fast as my 100 pace during my August race (my swim that race was bad). Rest day today. Tuesdays are busy with life for me. Keep up the hard work...

2013-01-08 11:06 AM

User image

Los Angeles
Ok guys thanks for the info re: trail shoes!
2013-01-08 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4567624

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Meulen - 2013-01-08 8:19 AM

Crap Tony!  I'm limpin' a bit today!  Up till now my pool running sessions only resulted in a few little blisters.  But last night I noticed there was rough spot in the lane and it really tore my feet up.  My feet were still dripping blood when I got home.  Wore through the skin pretty good.  I should have worn my vibrams!  I'm not sure I'll be able to get them on now! LOL

On a brighter note, I was able to get through 3x8 goblet squats and 2x8 single legs squats before my quads locked up again last night!  So either I'm getting used to the weight training or the fat burning process on the diet is starting to kick in.  Not sure I'll find out tonight.  My legs are pretty tired from weights.  I'm sure 60 minutes at Z3 on the the bike will be a challenge.

Great job listining to your coach! Seriously, stop running. Heal, get vibrams n try again.
2013-01-08 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4567660

Tirana
Great PR, what time are you now thinking of to set in the Xterra 1500mt?
2013-01-08 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4568031

Tirana
if you want to be fast , but above all secure on the trails, then only trail shoes are the way to go.(otherwise it would be something like Flats/Slicks on Mud
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 16