2012-12-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4545008

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Recent Gun Purchases
Puppetmaster - 2012-12-22 8:51 AM
gearboy - 2012-12-22 6:17 AM

Sdboy2 - 2012-12-22 1:09 AM The only reason I have been looking as of late is because congress will do something stupid.

You have more confidence in the ability of congress to do anything than I do.

W/R/T changes in the law, I don't expect much. My wish list would be the banning of high capacity magazines, with a buy-back of any that are out there now; ditto for kevlar-piercing bullets. I'm not too keen on semi-automatic weapons, but if the number of bullets you could fire before reloading was limited, I think that would go a long way. I'd also favor a database of owners, so we could more easily recover guns from people who have been involuntarily committed, instead of just preventing future purchases; and could also be looking more easily at guns registered at that same address (so if guns are available in the house the issue could be dealt with - even if it is to ensure they are locked). And limits on the transferring of ownership of guns. Gun show purchases, selling to your friend, whatever, should be at least as stringent.

I am sure alot of people in the goverenment would like that also

Funny, a lot of guns rights people seem to have no problem with having a database of the mentally ill. Which, as I mentioned, is a pretty broad group. Many of whom pose no threat to anyone at any time, and based on diagnosis, at least, never would.

Why are guns rights people so concerned about this, but have no problem with registering their cars, or having to alert the TSA whenever they get in an airplane? Those are also ways in which the government tracks you, and can restrict your ability to get away from TEOTWAWKI? What makes them think if the government was going to start to round up the guns, that (a) the cops or troops would enforce this, or (b) if they DID, that individuals or even small groups of people would be able to stop them?

And frankly (to conflate the two issues of MH and guns), I would be MORE concerned that some "government shrink" would declare me paranoid and therefore ineligible to own guns if I went around making this view known. After all, the soviet psychiatrists had a diagnosis "sluggish schizophrenia" to assign to dissidents and get them locked up (not a real condition, it referred to the"delusion"/belief that one could change or overthrow the soviet system). If you believe the government wants lists of who has guns because they want to take the guns, it is not a stretch to think they will want a database of the mentally ill so they can incarcerate people without all that pesky due process and time-limited sentence nonsense. Personally, I think in the US in the 21st century, both are a big stretch.

2012-12-22 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4544625

User image

Prescott
My brother works for Ruger so i get guns through his discount for like 50% off. So i recently added 2 more to my collection. An SR40 and a Mini 14. Also considering getting one of there SR556 riffles.
2012-12-22 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4544962

User image

gearboy - 2012-12-22 7:17 AM

My wish list would be the banning of high capacity magazines, with a buy-back of any that are out there now; ditto for kevlar-piercing bullets.

This one is something that makes me wonder how honest people are about the ultimate goal of banning firearms.

So, you're for banning all hunting rounds. That's not a question, it's a statement. All rifle rounds will penetrate a kevlar vest most worn by police (Class II) Quite a few pistol rounds will as well, some not all that powerful.

There are also more than a few that are for banning hollowpoints as well as all rounds that will penetrate a vest, yet they believe there would still be legal ammo over about .22 long rifle and more than one I've said something to ended up with "Okay, ban all ammo" as an answer.

2012-12-22 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Recent history is poor with Government run weapon retrieval programs. Didn't Fast and Furious fail to return 70% of weapons used? My confidence in any effective program approaches zero pretty quickly.

To the topic of the post, swung by the little local shop yesterday afternoon. He is out of all of his AK and AR magazines, sold thru his entire inventory of semi auto rifles that will take high capacity magazines (all calibers), and has only a few pistols on hand with >8 magazine capacity. He sells a lot of used firearms and some new. Totally out .223 ammo, not sure I saw any 7.62 or .308 stuff either. All of his 12 and 20 gauge buckshot and rifle rounds are gone, had some 410 stuff. I picked up a bolt action Mossberg MVP (.223 1:9 twist) and used Glock .40. Wifey has claimed the Glock all ready. The MVP might haunt me with using .223 given the cost and availability of it, but we have a back stock at home and with the 3-9x scope on it, won't be wasting too rounds on missing paper.

kinda related, they had 1/2lb containers of tanerrite too. Got me thinking about binaries and if laws will change there too. Might be time to pick up fireworks grade Al powder and stash it if your into exploding targets. Pretty sure you need a valid license to get more than 2lbs a year, but with so many sources it would be easy enough to 2lbs from many sources. This also reminds me about drug seeking behavior my wife deals with being a nurse. People will go to many docs to get their Oxy or what ever their addiction drug is. They'll pay cash and have others pick it for them too, keeps the supply coming. As a society we have a lot of excess issues.
2012-12-22 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4545055

User image

Pro

DanielG - 2012-12-22 8:45 AM
gearboy - 2012-12-22 7:17 AM My wish list would be the banning of high capacity magazines, with a buy-back of any that are out there now; ditto for kevlar-piercing bullets.
This one is something that makes me wonder how honest people are about the ultimate goal of banning firearms. So, you're for banning all hunting rounds. That's not a question, it's a statement. All rifle rounds will penetrate a kevlar vest most worn by police (Class II) Quite a few pistol rounds will as well, some not all that powerful. There are also more than a few that are for banning hollowpoints as well as all rounds that will penetrate a vest, yet they believe there would still be legal ammo over about .22 long rifle and more than one I've said something to ended up with "Okay, ban all ammo" as an answer.

The problem with the crowd that really pushes ammo or gun-control in any measure is that most of them don't have a clue what they are talking about with regard to firearms or ammo.  I think we are stuck with that ignorance.

2012-12-22 1:50 PM

User image

Elite
Well I managed to find a overpriced .308 lower in town. I'll build it later. For the background check, they said check back in a week and maybe it will be back. Think of all the lives saved by the system making everyone wait.

2012-12-22 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4545181

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2012-12-23 4:41 AM

gearboy - 2012-12-22 7:17 AM My wish list would be the banning of high capacity magazines, with a buy-back of any that are out there now; ditto for kevlar-piercing bullets.
This one is something that makes me wonder how honest people are about the ultimate goal of banning firearms. So, you're for banning all hunting rounds. That's not a question, it's a statement. All rifle rounds will penetrate a kevlar vest most worn by police (Class II) Quite a few pistol rounds will as well, some not all that powerful. There are also more than a few that are for banning hollowpoints as well as all rounds that will penetrate a vest, yet they believe there would still be legal ammo over about .22 long rifle and more than one I've said something to ended up with "Okay, ban all ammo" as an answer.

The problem with the crowd that really pushes ammo or gun-control in any measure is that most of them don't have a clue what they are talking about with regard to firearms or ammo.  I think we are stuck with that ignorance.

The people pushing are probably not gun owners at all.  I enjoy reading these threads as I live in Australia - it's nice to see other view points rather than our media shaking their heads at those gun crazy Americans!  Then in the next bulletin three people stabbed to death in Australia and no comment made about knives....

2012-12-22 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I just got another spare ten round magazine for my .22LR High Standard Supermatic this week.  It's an older gun and I had the magazine on back order for a while.  That makes three magazines; it just saves some time when I go to the range.

I've been window-shopping for an AR-15 for the last couple of years.  I've even thought about getting chambered for .22LR which would be more economical to shoot.  Every time I get close to buying one I always seem to find something else I'd rather spend the money on.       

Mark 

2012-12-22 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
My other half owns an AR15 and a Desert eagle 50 cal. I am not much for guns myself, I tend to follow a different path.

Edited by yarislab 2012-12-22 2:52 PM
2012-12-22 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4545181

User image

Pro
Left Brain - 2012-12-22 12:41 PM

Only if you are unwilling to provide information to correct common misperceptions. I am not the only person who believes that certain ammo should be banned. If all of it penetrates a vest, then why do vests exist? Why do cops wear them? Why would a person need the kind of firepower that penetrates vests if they are hunting (I cannot imagine it is needed to shoot at paper targets or clay pigeons)? Maybe if you can document the need for a higher degree of penetration (e.g. I am hunting elephants; or the fence failed and the raptors have gotten loose in the park), you can obtain a waiver for "legitimate use" rather than just having the firepower to take down the Chicago PD because you just want to have it.

2012-12-22 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4545280

User image

Expert
powerman - 2012-12-22 11:50 AM

Well I managed to find a overpriced .308 lower in town. I'll build it later. For the background check, they said check back in a week and maybe it will be back. Think of all the lives saved by the system making everyone wait.

In WA its pretty much real time. The shop calls your info in to the State. When I picked up a rifle and pistol yesterday it took about 10 mins. I all ready have my conceal carry license so that speeds things up. I've though about a .308 set up for my AR, keep leaning to a separate rifle all together. Friend of a friend builds up ARs might see what he has not spoken for.

2012-12-22 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4545336

User image

Elite

magic - 2012-12-22 2:24 PM
powerman - 2012-12-22 11:50 AM Well I managed to find a overpriced .308 lower in town. I'll build it later. For the background check, they said check back in a week and maybe it will be back. Think of all the lives saved by the system making everyone wait.
In WA its pretty much real time. The shop calls your info in to the State. When I picked up a rifle and pistol yesterday it took about 10 mins. I all ready have my conceal carry license so that speeds things up. I've though about a .308 set up for my AR, keep leaning to a separate rifle all together. Friend of a friend builds up ARs might see what he has not spoken for.

The time does not bother me. I'm in no hurry. This store is huge and the inventory waiting for checks is a HUGE pile.

I have never wanted an arsenal.. and the AR will probably do the same thing my other one does... collect dust 99% of the time... but if I am only going to have one, then .308 is more versatile. Obviously the platform is a little more problematic being non standardized like .223. Bit more expensive, bit less parts... but more versatile caliber if I only have one. So that is why I went that way. Of my friends that have ARs... they are all 15s. I like to be different. The market is smaller, but obviously, 7.62 NATO is just as plentiful.

2012-12-22 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4545335

User image

gearboy - 2012-12-22 4:24 PM

Only if you are unwilling to provide information to correct common misperceptions. I am not the only person who believes that certain ammo should be banned. If all of it penetrates a vest, then why do vests exist? Why do cops wear them? Why would a person need the kind of firepower that penetrates vests if they are hunting (I cannot imagine it is needed to shoot at paper targets or clay pigeons)? Maybe if you can document the need for a higher degree of penetration (e.g. I am hunting elephants; or the fence failed and the raptors have gotten loose in the park), you can obtain a waiver for "legitimate use" rather than just having the firepower to take down the Chicago PD because you just want to have it.

I must assume you're either kidding or intentionally being dense as all those are answered regularly without having to resort to your hyperbole of raptors or elephants. Notice I said "All rifle rounds" That means even the anemic .223 (Illegal for deer in quite a few states because it's not powerful enough), the not much better 7.62x39, .270 (good deer, marginal elk, NOT moose round), .308 (one of the most popular deer rounds made), .30-06 (M1 Garand, another rather popular round, good for most things in N America but not even close to being an elephant round), etc. No real firepower involved, as I said, ALL (or close enough) rifle rounds penetrate vests cops wear. M1 Carbine and .22 long rifle as well as rifles made for pistol calibers are the only exceptions to that.

Ignorance is one thing, that can be corrected with training or teaching. Willful ignorance and flat out lying to make political points are the primary new sources about these things and you seem to have a learning block about it because all of this has been in at least one thread previously.

Vests are to stop pistol rounds. The rifle round vests are too bulky and plain hot to wear regularly, those are what SWAT teams wear for raids.

Willful ignorance, lying to push a political agenda or a learning block about this topic are the only reasons I can think of that any intelligent person wouldn't have any clue about it, considering how much information has been in newspapers, online, in chat groups, on forums. Hell, asking without all the hyperbole would answer a lot of those questions. Blathering on about raptors and elephants only suggest you're not even willing to have a serious discussion and probably aren't really interested in facts regarding what you're willing to ban just because it sounds bad.

2012-12-22 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4545339

User image

powerman - 2012-12-22 4:38 PM

I am only going to have one, then .308 is more versatile. Obviously the platform is a little more problematic being non standardized like .223. Bit more expensive, bit less parts... but more versatile caliber if I only have one. So that is why I went that way. Of my friends that have ARs... they are all 15s. I like to be different. The market is smaller, but obviously, 7.62 NATO is just as plentiful.

If I remember correctly that's an AR-10. It was a previous version of what became the AR-15 and was made by Stoner as well. He used the .308 as that's what the M14 shot and he was trying to keep ammo uniform.

I think instead of an AR I do believe I'm going to get an M1 Garand and have the federal government mail it to me, just because I can
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm
2012-12-22 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4545367

User image

Elite

DanielG - 2012-12-22 3:21 PM
powerman - 2012-12-22 4:38 PM I am only going to have one, then .308 is more versatile. Obviously the platform is a little more problematic being non standardized like .223. Bit more expensive, bit less parts... but more versatile caliber if I only have one. So that is why I went that way. Of my friends that have ARs... they are all 15s. I like to be different. The market is smaller, but obviously, 7.62 NATO is just as plentiful.
If I remember correctly that's an AR-10. It was a previous version of what became the AR-15 and was made by Stoner as well. He used the .308 as that's what the M14 shot and he was trying to keep ammo uniform. I think instead of an AR I do believe I'm going to get an M1 Garand and have the federal government mail it to me, just because I can http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

Exactly.It's a 10. I would rather have a Springfield M1A. I don't need a "black rifle with a pistol grip". But the Springfield takes a lot more work to get as accurate as you can an AR platform out of the box these days. And obviously, you don't build those and what not. So for .308, the AR is a good platform. Not that the M1A isn't good.. just more money and at that point you could just buy a good .30-06. Another friend has a Garand from the there and they are good fun.

Edited by powerman 2012-12-22 5:43 PM
2012-12-22 5:50 PM

User image

Elite

Wiki

Definition

The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", as in "to storm a position"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler[3] as a new name for the Maschinenpistole 43,[nb 1] subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first assault rifle that served to popularise the concept and form the basis for today's modern assault rifles.

The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[4][5][6]

• It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
  • It must be capable of selective fire;
  • It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
  • Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
  • And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (1000 feet)

Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being considered as such. For example, semi-automatic-only rifles like the AR-15 (which the M16 rifle is based on) that share designs with assault rifles are not assault rifles, as they are not capable of switching to automatic fire and thus are not selective fire capable. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with fixed magazines are likewise not assault rifles because they do not have detachable box magazines.

The term "assault rifle" is often more loosely used for commercial or political reasons to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or semi-automatic variant of military rifles such as AR-15s.

The US Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges."[7]

Assault rifles vs. Assault weapons

In United States politics and law, an assault weapon is a variety of semi-automatic firearms that have certain features generally associated with military firearms, including assault rifles. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, codified the definition of an assault weapon. It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and two or more of the following:

• a folding or telescoping stock
  • a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
  • a bayonet mount
  • a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
  • a grenade launcher

The assault weapons ban did not restrict weapons capable of fully automatic fire, such as assault rifles and machine guns, which have been continuously and heavily regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed. Subsequent laws such as the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 also affected the importation and civilian ownership of fully automatic firearms, the latter fully prohibiting sales of newly manufactured machine guns to non-law enforcement or SOT (special occupational taxpayer) dealers.[8]

2012-12-22 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4545335

User image

gearboy - 2012-12-22 1:24 PM

The only person responsible for your ignorance on a subject you brought up and asking for laws that make no sense is YOU.

It's really not that hard before you start regurgitating something you heard on MSNBC or a movie or from a politician who know probably less than you do or wherever you heard this, is to go to Google and do just a rudimentary search.

No need to point fingers at those who just gave you a basic explanation that they need to do more to educate you.

2012-12-22 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Raeford, North Carolina

I just bought 2 AR-15's. Zeroed them today too! Going out to get scopes after Christmas. Gotta get 'em while the getting is good!

2012-12-22 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Crazy: http://www.gunbroker.com/Pistols/BI.aspx?Keywords=*pmr+30

KelTec PMR30 doubling in price. I picked up a used one that looks brand new around the end of summer with extras (extra magazines, soft case, and ammo) for $400. Thought I got a little gouged, little did I know. I'm looking for a nice .22WMR rifle now too, their prices have stayed flat so far.
2012-12-22 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4545362

User image

Pro
DanielG - 2012-12-22 4:15 PM
gearboy - 2012-12-22 4:24 PM

I must assume you're either kidding or intentionally being dense as all those are answered regularly without having to resort to your hyperbole of raptors or elephants. Notice I said "All rifle rounds" That means even the anemic .223 (Illegal for deer in quite a few states because it's not powerful enough), the not much better 7.62x39, .270 (good deer, marginal elk, NOT moose round), .308 (one of the most popular deer rounds made), .30-06 (M1 Garand, another rather popular round, good for most things in N America but not even close to being an elephant round), etc. No real firepower involved, as I said, ALL (or close enough) rifle rounds penetrate vests cops wear. M1 Carbine and .22 long rifle as well as rifles made for pistol calibers are the only exceptions to that. Ignorance is one thing, that can be corrected with training or teaching. Willful ignorance and flat out lying to make political points are the primary new sources about these things and you seem to have a learning block about it because all of this has been in at least one thread previously. Vests are to stop pistol rounds. The rifle round vests are too bulky and plain hot to wear regularly, those are what SWAT teams wear for raids. Willful ignorance, lying to push a political agenda or a learning block about this topic are the only reasons I can think of that any intelligent person wouldn't have any clue about it, considering how much information has been in newspapers, online, in chat groups, on forums. Hell, asking without all the hyperbole would answer a lot of those questions. Blathering on about raptors and elephants only suggest you're not even willing to have a serious discussion and probably aren't really interested in facts regarding what you're willing to ban just because it sounds bad.

This is exactly right!!  And, unfortunately, the reason gun owners are absolutely unwilling to compromise.  The amount of ignorance with regard to guns and ammunition, coupled with the outright lying about anything firearm related, and what do you  have? ...... Gun owners just laughing at the other side because it's so blatantly ridiculous.  

I wish it wasn't so, but you better go ahead and arm yourself if you want to be able to protect yourself from your perceived danger.....I can't see gun owners giving way to this nonsense.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-12-22 8:20 PM
2012-12-22 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4545486

User image

Pro

Left Brain - 2012-12-22 9:19 PM

This is exactly right!!  And, unfortunately, the reason gun owners are absolutely unwilling to compromise.  The amount of ignorance with regard to guns and ammunition, coupled with the outright lying about anything firearm related, and what do you  have? ...... Gun owners just laughing at the other side because it's so blatantly ridiculous.  

I wish it wasn't so, but you better go ahead and arm yourself if you want to be able to protect yourself from your perceived danger.....I can't see gun owners giving way to this nonsense.

Then I guess there is nothing to say, if there is no willingness to compromise.

2012-12-22 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4545512

User image

Pro
gearboy - 2012-12-22 8:59 PM

HA!!!!

Do you always do that?  We won't compromise because you (the collective you, because your style is nothing new) are ridiculous in your assertions and your lack of knowledge.  Every time you spew a "fact" about guns or ammo we laugh.....because you virtually never have it right.  How are we to compromise with an idea/assertion that is wrong?

2012-12-22 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4545512

User image

Pro

Here, what the heck, I'll play along......THAT'S why we won't compromise with you....but you got that the first time.

2012-12-22 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4545524

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2012-12-23 2:19 PM

HA!!!!

Do you always do that?  We won't compromise because you (the collective you, because your style is nothing new) are ridiculous in your assertions and your lack of knowledge.  Every time you spew a "fact" about guns or ammo we laugh.....because you virtually never have it right.  How are we to compromise with an idea/assertion that is wrong?

. Surely the "gun owners unwillingness to compromise" is matched by the non gun owners unwillingness to compromise. I'm an outsider reading all this seems to me a compromise needs to be from both sides. All I see is changes for gun owners being recommended? Surely the big issue is how right now to keep kids safe and give them the right to be educated in safety. I'm a little naive but that's what I would want if I lived there. And I suspect I'd listen to those with experience- mental health professionals, teachers and police. Politicians no
2012-12-22 10:47 PM
in reply to: #4545534

User image

jobaxas - 2012-12-22 7:26 PM
Left Brain - 2012-12-23 2:19 PM

HA!!!!

. Surely the "gun owners unwillingness to compromise" is matched by the non gun owners unwillingness to compromise. I'm an outsider reading all this seems to me a compromise needs to be from both sides. All I see is changes for gun owners being recommended? Surely the big issue is how right now to keep kids safe and give them the right to be educated in safety. I'm a little naive but that's what I would want if I lived there. And I suspect I'd listen to those with experience- mental health professionals, teachers and police. Politicians no

Statistically, children in schools are safe, far safer than they are at home.

I keep hearing the Anti Gun Mob claiming that more guns means more gun violence. I would think if there was any truth to this that gun shows would be fraught with shootings, mass murders and all sorts of gun accidents. Far more people are killed with firearms in Gun Free Zones than there are at gun shows.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Recent Gun Purchases Rss Feed  

of 4