Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Survivor Caramoan (will be spoilers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-05-14 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4740999

Master
Memphis, TN
Subject: RE: Survivor Caramoan (will be spoilers)
jldicarlo - 2013-05-13 9:37 PM

4. In the preview for blood v water, I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me...BUT, the two people on the right hand side of the patch appear to be holding hands...could it be a tribe of family members vs a tribe of strangers?  Other survivor patches feature at MOST one person standing there.  This patch has FOUR people on it...two on the right holding hands....cannot be coincidence.  Wiki has THIS to say (didn't look until after I'd written this).  Don't like the idea of MORE returning castaways...I want fresh blood!

According to the post family members will play "against" each other.  How will they make sure they don't collude to share the money, which is one of the big survivor rules you can't break?  If this is the case.  There can be only one winner right?

2013-05-14 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4741331

User image

Champion
SoCal
Jtiger - 2013-05-14 5:28 AM
abqtj - 2013-05-13 9:25 PM
powerman - 2013-05-13 3:14 PM

So, it seems... Brandon was banned from the reunion.

http://www.realitynation.com/tv-shows/survivor/caramoan-finale-brandon-hantz-banned/34409/#_is=1ek4h8h4zjd7nuup214tpfjdon

Good, he was and is a punk. I hope he gains zero "fame" from his time in the spotlight. 

According to the article apparently Russell was there to "kick his [Phillips] a$$"  Stay classy Hantz family.  You got beat don't get mad just get better.

They remind me of small dogs, all loud and pissed off all the time.

2013-05-14 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4740999

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
jldicarlo - 2013-05-13 8:37 PM
But I think he won the last one fair and square.  Dawn erased his lead and he still won.

Yes, they had the same number of puzzle pieces in place at one time - but, I don't think saying she "erased" his lead is accurate. He had considerable more time to study the puzzle - and that is definitely an advantage in completing it.

On the flip-side, while watching that challenge, I was thinking that there was a downside to not having to untie knots.... no "aerobic recovery" period between gathering each puzzle bag. I have to believe that any player with the advantage would be significantly more "gassed" when starting the puzzle than they would be without the advantage (knot untying recovery periods). Perhaps this was the result of Cochran's slow start on the puzzle??
2013-05-14 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4741331

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY
Also, was Shamar there?  He was another a-hole I would've been curious to hear from.  Jeff could've asked him "If you're such a big, tough military guy why were such a cry baby on the show?"
2013-05-14 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4620847

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I love that Cochran won! I was SO OVER Dawn and ALL HER CRYING. I really liked that when she was being questioned by the panel, a statement was made that she didn't come off with strong due to all her mental breakdowns.

Cheri was just THERE. Sure, she was strategic before the merge, but after the merge she just made sure she was never a target. There is always one of the the final three that didn't do anything to get there... other than not make themselves a target.

While I know it is how someone wins the game, I'm so sick of all these bland-vanilla players. Everyone is nice, sweet, etc. just so they don't get voted off. Obviously they have to do though, because the ones who aren't... get voted off. I like when people with big personalities make it to the final 3 and win.

2013-05-14 9:57 AM

Veteran
Minnesota
Some thoughts and ramblings:

Sheri--some of the distain for her may be that she thought or acted like she was a player in the game when she really wasn't. I think it was tough for a jury of threats to see her in the final 3. Basically all of them could stake claim as stronger players. Her opening statement at final tribal was terrible.

Brenda and Dawn-- I actually appreciated some of what Brenda did at the final tribal. Often players will say they would have done this or would have never done that. They will make claims or totally deny without ever having to back it up. Dawn said she would have pulled herself from the game, then claimed she never would have left the game. Brenda said "prove it".

Cochran-- a deserving winner. I think the make-up of this game played to his strengths and abilities. In a fans vs favorites format he was able to stay under the radar much more and still play his game. With so many other "bigger threats", his status as a major player was camouflaged. The fear of the 3 amigos was a great distraction and really kept another alliance from forming. I think because of it we never saw a secondary alliance form once players realize they are at the bottom and need to jump into a new alliance to make final 3. Cochran talked about timing and I believe it was his strategic play (being able to outwit) that separated him from the physical and social threats of the game.

The Fans-- wished they would have had a stronger group to go against the favorites. Renold was a strong player and Eddie went pretty far, but Sheri was underwhelming (cast as a strategic player) and only one other player even made the jury.

Edited by TriJedi 2013-05-14 10:00 AM

2013-05-14 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4741606

User image

Elite

KSH - 2013-05-14 8:37 AM There is always one of the the final three that didn't do anything to get there... other than not make themselves a target. While I know it is how someone wins the game, I'm so sick of all these bland-vanilla players. Everyone is nice, sweet, etc. just so they don't get voted off. Obviously they have to do though, because the ones who aren't... get voted off. I like when people with big personalities make it to the final 3 and win.

I was really happy when they went to final 3. But in reallity, we are still really only final 2. The 3rd is ONLY there because they were no threat to win and won't get any votes. It is a victory to be paid more going further in the game, but they have no shot at winning the game. It is still final 2.

I do really love the game, but I really do not like how most strong players get eliminated by the group, and the ones left standing are not really deserving. I totally understand you do not have to be the strongest to win... and yes if all the strong players get eliminated... well then they were outplayed... but more times than not, the ones actually playing the game hard, are taken out by the group... so it is the group strength that eliminates them.... yet it is supposed to be sole survivor that out witted outplayed and out lasted. I want the player that did all three... not just one of them.

I do not really know how you change the game to get that result.

ETA:  I do think Cochran was deserving. He did do all three... but it was a slam dunk, because the other two didn't. It would be great to at least have a final three that actually did it too and the jury had to decide who was most deserving.

Edited by powerman 2013-05-14 10:35 AM
2013-05-14 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4741722

Veteran
Minnesota
powerman - 2013-05-14 10:18 AM

KSH - 2013-05-14 8:37 AM There is always one of the the final three that didn't do anything to get there... other than not make themselves a target. While I know it is how someone wins the game, I'm so sick of all these bland-vanilla players. Everyone is nice, sweet, etc. just so they don't get voted off. Obviously they have to do though, because the ones who aren't... get voted off. I like when people with big personalities make it to the final 3 and win.

I was really happy when they went to final 3. But in reallity, we are still really only final 2. The 3rd is ONLY there because they were no threat to win and won't get any votes. It is a victory to be paid more going further in the game, but they have no shot at winning the game. It is still final 2.

I do really love the game, but I really do not like how most strong players get eliminated by the group, and the ones left standing are not really deserving. I totally understand you do not have to be the strongest to win... and yes if all the strong players get eliminated... well then they were outplayed... but more times than not, the ones actually playing the game hard, are taken out by the group... so it is the group strength that eliminates them.... yet it is supposed to be sole survivor that out witted outplayed and out lasted. I want the player that did all three... not just one of them.

I do not really know how you change the game to get that result.

I feel the same about cutting the strong to take the weak. My only solution is have a strong cast. Maybe the lazy oaf, opinionated loud-mouth, 22 year old bimbo, clueless old-timer, etc. are good for TV, but they usually end up getting voted off right away or dragged into the finals (maybe playing with them is part of the challenge). I think there could still be a cast with diverse ages and backgrounds who can be strong physical, social, and strategic players.
2013-05-14 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4741671

User image

Sensei
Sin City

TriJedi - 2013-05-14 7:57 AM Sheri--some of the distain for her may be that she thought or acted like she was a player in the game when she really wasn't. I think it was tough for a jury of threats to see her in the final 3. Basically all of them could stake claim as stronger players. Her opening statement at final tribal was terrible. 

Yeah, she would have been better to say "I was always in a position of weakness/on the outside.  So I had to change my game play to fly under the radar and hope others got voted off first" - even throw the 'I don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than YOU' joke.  Say that IF she was not always on the outside, she could have made moves.

Sometimes the game or the position you are in dictates more than your own gameplay.  Sometime you have to take what the game gives you.

It's an interesting juxtaposition/contrast.  They "respect" those who have more game play aka lie cheat and steal and condemn you if you don't but at the same time, if you lie to THEM, they get pizzed off.

HOWEVER, even in a position of weakness, you can offer up suggestions or take an active role instead of just sitting there and doing what you are told.  Even if you just ask "what about him, what about her" then default to the group decision?  You LOOK like you are playing the game instead of just spectating.

2013-05-14 1:19 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

If Russel and Brandon come back in this "Blood Water " season, I am so out.

All this Russel wanting to beat up Phillip talk and banning him. If this is all a ploy to draw infans for it, I would gag.

2013-05-14 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4742094

User image

Elite
TrevorC - 2013-05-14 12:19 PM

All this Russel wanting to beat up Phillip talk and banning him. If this is all a ploy to draw infans for it, I would gag.

I'm with you.

2013-05-14 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4742104

User image

Sensei
Sin City
powerman - 2013-05-14 11:26 AM

I'm with you.

I would watch because I'm a survivor fan, but I would be SO unhappy.  I think a brand new cast of new personalities would be great. 

2013-05-14 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4742104

User image

Bronze member
powerman - 2013-05-14 1:26 PM

I'm with you.

Yeah,  I could not take another season of the that family. Enough, there are other interesting people in the world. The only reason I would watch would be to see them voted out.

2013-05-15 12:51 AM
in reply to: #4740488

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Kido - 2013-05-13 2:48 PM

SOOOOOOO  next season...

I "think" there may be some twists that I/we discussed in this thread.  Blood and water?  I'm thinking family members in some way?

I think it's been mentioned but I got the expression right away:

"Blood is thicker than water" is a German proverb (originally: Blut ist dicker als Wasser), which is also common in English speaking countries. It generally means that the bonds of family and common ancestry are stronger than the bonds between unrelated people (such as friendship).

So they'll put the relatives against each other, and then at the merge it will be a much less likely "Tribe A vs Tribe B" which can get really boring if 1 team has the numbers. Stick with your number/tribe or go with blood. Not sure how they'll keep the balance though - kinda pointless if most of the couples lose their partner to eliminations before the merge.

Could be very interesting if there was some way that couple member X on one team getting the boot affects matching couple member Y on the other tribe.

Please no more Hantzs, ever.

2013-05-15 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4742054

Master
Memphis, TN
Kido - 2013-05-14 12:49 PM

Sometimes the game or the position you are in dictates more than your own gameplay.  Sometime you have to take what the game gives you.

I completely agree.  She came put playing but her alliance got shot down when Shamar got pulled due to medical.  He was the lightening rod that attracted all the attention from her actually pulling the strings and when that was gone her game was blown and she never recovered.  She merged and maybe never saw the crack that she needed to make a "big" move that everyone wants to see.  You have to work with what you have out there.  It's easy for us to judge someones game play but out there is far different.  You don't have the benefit of seeing the other interviews but you do have the benefit of the paranoia and seeing one another ALL DAY LONG. 

First rule to winning Survivor is making the final tribal.  You make a move and they see it coming you are gone.  Ask Andrea.

2013-05-15 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4742967

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Khyron - 2013-05-15 1:51 AM

SOOOOOOO  next season...

I "think" there may be some twists that I/we discussed in this thread.  Blood and water?  I'm thinking family members in some way?

"Blood is thicker than water" is a German proverb (originally: Blut ist dicker als Wasser), which is also common in English speaking countries. It generally means that the bonds of family and common ancestry are stronger than the bonds between unrelated people (such as friendship).

Actually - thats not what the proverb means..  It is one of five common misused proverbs

Even though the common,  meaning is blood = family, its actually the opposite:

Ever hear of the term 'blood brothers"?  That was derived from the original saying.

"The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb,

Rather than "blood" shared by family, the original interpretation of the term was literal blood. In other words, the blood that is shed by soldiers on the battlefield makes for stronger bonds than those of the family you happened by chance to be born into. It was also used in reference to "blood covenants" that people used to make, which involved cutting each other and mixing their blood together in a more hardcore version of the modern pinkie swear."

No more returning players.  too huge of an advantage for the them.  

Friends vs family, already built in alliances in each tribe could be interesting with people who only know the game by watching it, not experiencing it.

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2013-05-15 9:03 AM

2013-05-15 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4743280

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
ratherbesnowboarding - 2013-05-15 8:00 AM

SOOOOOOO  next season...

Actually - thats not what the proverb means..  It is one of five common misused proverbs

Ever hear of the term 'blood brothers"?  That was derived from the original saying.

Rather than "blood" shared by family, the original interpretation of the term was literal blood. In other words, the blood that is shed by soldiers on the battlefield makes for stronger bonds than those of the family you happened by chance to be born into. It was also used in reference to "blood covenants" that people used to make, which involved cutting each other and mixing their blood together in a more hardcore version of the modern pinkie swear."

Friends vs family, already built in alliances in each tribe could be interesting with people who only know the game by watching it, not experiencing it.

Both are used, regardless of what cracked.com may say.

"It first appeared in the medieval German beast epic Reinhart Fuchs (c. 1180 'Reynard the Fox') by Heinrich der Glîchezære, whose words in English read, 'Kin-blood is not spoilt by water.'"

"Blood is thicker than holy water" is a quote from Mario Puzo's The Family, wherein the Borgia pope emphasizes that familial obligations are more important than religious ones.

Of course it's also used for military bonds - but in the case of Survivor, it's obviously tied to the family (though watching two dozen Shamars fight it out could be amusing)

2013-05-15 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4743490

User image

Master
Khyron - 2013-05-15 11:31 AM
ratherbesnowboarding - 2013-05-15 8:00 AM

SOOOOOOO  next season...

Both are used, regardless of what cracked.com may say.

"It first appeared in the medieval German beast epic Reinhart Fuchs (c. 1180 'Reynard the Fox') by Heinrich der Glîchezære, whose words in English read, 'Kin-blood is not spoilt by water.'"

"Blood is thicker than holy water" is a quote from Mario Puzo's The Family, wherein the Borgia pope emphasizes that familial obligations are more important than religious ones.

Of course it's also used for military bonds - but in the case of Survivor, it's obviously tied to the family (though watching two dozen Shamars fight it out could be amusing)

Completely off topic... Yes both are used, but only one has the correct meaning in origin. And based on the origin, most people now use the phrase incorrectly....

What does 'water' stand for?  How does 'water' symbolize friendship?  The original meaning clearly states what the metaphors are- "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.   Think about it -  Blood of the family is thicker than the water of friendship makes little to no sense.

The blood covenant has been around since the time of Abraham (if not before, predating history) and at the end of the ritual the two blood covenants would leave as 'friends'.  And in fact the drinking of wine during communion is making a blood pact with Christ that is stronger than any other bond, including family.  

All you did was give references of how the phrase has been used over the last millennia - staring in 1180 and included a book from the author of godfather.. it was written 12 years ago. Which really proves how the phrase has changed and no longer means what it was originally intended.

And yes, Ill take what cracked says (and other sources) over wikipedia any day.  wiki is not a trustworthy source.  

/OT

2013-05-15 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4743732

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Right or wrong, I'd bet that most people relate "blood" to family and "Water" to friendship.
For this reason, I'm betting this is how Survivor is using it.
2013-05-15 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4743854

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I can't believe we are arguing over this.  I guess it's interesting that I may have been using "blood is thicker than water" water incorrectly...

But think about this.  If just about EVERYONE thinks that blood means family (which everyone has) opposed to fellow soldiers (which few of us have knows).  It may have originated meaning one thing, but if it evolves into something completely different, is it "wrong"?  Maybe not the original intent...  But not wrong.

If you ask a bunch of people, and almost all of them know that as "family", then that is the correct way it's NOW interpreted.

There are plenty of words/phrases that used to mean one thing or be positive/negative, that have changed their meaning or intent.  They changed, they are not wrong.

SO, I'm sticking with Blood = family, water = everyone else, basically.

ETA:  I propose that if Survivor has the same use of the phrase to mean family/related?  Then that's officially the meaning.  Cuz if it's reality TV, it must be truth...  Anyone second?

Edited by Kido 2013-05-15 6:54 PM
2013-05-15 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4744482

User image

Elite
Kido - 2013-05-15 5:53 PM

I can't believe we are arguing over this.  I guess it's interesting that I may have been using "blood is thicker than water" water incorrectly...

But think about this.  If just about EVERYONE thinks that blood means family (which everyone has) opposed to fellow soldiers (which few of us have knows).  It may have originated meaning one thing, but if it evolves into something completely different, is it "wrong"?  Maybe not the original intent...  But not wrong.

If you ask a bunch of people, and almost all of them know that as "family", then that is the correct way it's NOW interpreted.

There are plenty of words/phrases that used to mean one thing or be positive/negative, that have changed their meaning or intent.  They changed, they are not wrong.

ETA:  I propose that if Survivor has the same use of the phrase to mean family/related?  Then that's officially the meaning.  Cuz if it's reality TV, it must be truth...  Anyone second?

You have given that a lot of thought. Laughing

2013-05-16 10:07 AM

User image

Master

First I just want to say Im already having Survivor withdrawals.  

Second, if the show was still on, I wouldnt hijack the thread like this.  But since this thread will most likely get shuffled to the back pages in a couple weeks, I figured why not.

Third, I get what the common everyday meaning is and Im 'OK' with it and will second Kido's motion  for the upcoming season Laughing.  I just found it interesting that the phrase has evolved to mean the exact opposite of what it originally meant.  Even though I've known about it for a while, I also thought the timing of the cracked article coming out within a few days of the Survivor announcement was also an interesting coincidence.  

However, I did not use the word 'wrong', I specifically used 'incorrectly'.  I understand that just because 'everyone' knows something, it doesnt mean they are right (or wrong), it could just mean that they are misinformed and therefore incorrect as well.  It happens all the time - even in the tri world: for example, I have been very outspoken on this website about who the Clydesdale/Athena category was initially intended for versus what it has become.  But ask 'everyone' who it is for and you'll most likely get thisthis and this.  Even though I havent changed my body type or weight in 25 years, I am no longer a clyde as I hover between 210-215.  Doesnt change the history that I once was one.  Just that things and meanings can change over time.

At U-Mass Amherst, there is an area named after my great - grandfather. 'Everyone' pronounces the 'Haigis Mall' as 'Hay-gis', even though he, and my family pronounce it 'High-gis'  I even know when the change happened - during the Reagan admin and Alexander Haig.   So is 'everyone' right when they correct me on the pronunciation of what it has been changed to or am I when I explain the origin of who it was dedicated to and how the family says it?  ETA: (There is a beach on Cape Cod also named after him and it is pronounced correctly there.)

As I said earlier, I've known what the original phrase was but what Khyron did for me was provide the turning point where the change of the blood/water meaning actually happened and then how it changed through time to mean what it does today.  If you look at the root of the poem as the basis for the change, you can see that the water is the symbol the church (holy water = baptism, blessing etc) and the blood changed to family is being more important.  Quick 12th century history using a very broad brush: There were basically two seats/types of power: Nobility (landowners) and the Church.  It was not uncommon for the oldest son to inherit the estate, the second son to be married off to another's first born daughter and one of the younger son to join the church - that way the family can be in control of most if not all of the power. The poem was written in a time of political and religious turmoil and uncertainty with the holy roman empire.  Makes sense that a 'lord' would want their kin to be true to them and not to Rome.  Pretty powerful statement to make against power and obligations of blood covenants and the church.  Really not something you could openly say at that time and probably better to let animals say it.

So there you go... Useless information to bring up next season during a commercial break about the origin and eventual change of the meaning 'blood thicker than water'.

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2013-05-16 10:16 AM
2013-05-16 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4744651

User image

Sensei
Sin City
powerman - 2013-05-15 7:53 PM
Kido - 2013-05-15 5:53 PM

You have given that a lot of thought. Laughing

meh...  I just like words and what they mean and how they change.  (same goes with "sayings" I suppose.)  The whole message/sender/receiver thing is interesting to me.

2013-05-16 8:02 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I am having survivor withdrawal too... :D
2013-05-20 9:18 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

Master
Memphis, TN
Cochran tweeted about the time frame of Survivor. Apparently there was a 10 month break from shooting the final tribal to the finale. So I think that probably puts the Brenda discussion to rest.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Survivor Caramoan (will be spoilers) Rss Feed  

of 18